More Car Crash Fatalities

Homme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8155059.stm

Another car crash fatality. It's scary the amount of young drivers and passneger being killed behind the wheel. This time an 18 year old driver and a 15 year old passenger. It seems to be much more prominent in the Aberdeenshire area than the rest of Scotland, although the problem is widespread.

Just assuming speed was the factor here. When are these kids going to slow down?

Goose Baxter

My mate who works off-shore, Is into his car's and he says the amount off young boy racers in the Aberdeen area is unreal.

Some off the driving he said is shocking as its all the wee crews who go to the Asda car parks and then go out for a race after it.

Speed Kills

I P Knightley
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8155059.stm

Another car crash fatality. It's scary the amount of young drivers and passneger being killed behind the wheel. This time an 18 year old driver and a 15 year old passenger. It seems to be much more prominent in the Aberdeenshire area than the rest of Scotland, although the problem is widespread.

Just assuming speed was the factor here. When are these kids going to slow down?

I was a bit of a nippy driver as a teenager so when I read these stories, I count my lucky stars that I escaped with nothing more than a 'little' skid into the flower bed diagonally opposite the door of the Diggers.

There's probably a couple of factors that make it different to my teenage years, though.

One is that there is so much more traffic on the roads now than there was in the early '80s so the chances of hitting something when you get a wee bit out of line are much greater.

Another is that the cars are, generally, more rapid than they were back then. Even the VW polo in this story probably tops out at over a ton while it would have been an exceptional car for a teenager to have that would do that 25 years ago. And all the added safety features of ABS and airbags probably give the driver an increased sense of 'security' however false.

Finally, you've got the general increase in thrill-seeking for youngsters. Console games, movies, theme parks etc. all give the kids more of a buzz than what was around 25 years ago. It's a natural progression when you're behind the wheel of a car to see what it can do.

Oh, and the very last thing. It's rural Aberdeenshire, so there's absolutely effall else to do.

Jambof3tornado

Far too many young people learn the hard way that driving is the most likely thing to kill or injure them. But you cant tell some folk,they just dont listen.

I have seen some terrible messes through my job and often think if I could drag some boy racers to accidents and let them see a body in bits next to a wreck they may just change,or slow down a little. The day you pass your driving test is the day you start to learn to drive.

Limit engine size/power for 2 years and allow only 1 under 18 passenger is the way forward.

I P Knightley
Limit engine size/power for 2 years and allow only 1 under 18 passenger is the way forward.

Would be a start but this numpty in Turriff was in a VW Polo. You can still do an awful lot of damage, even with a 1.0 litre engine.

I seem to remember that the Japanese had or have legislation like you describe which was what led to cars like the Daihatsu Charade GTti, which wieghed about as much as a shoe but had 100bhp. Truly daft machine!!

Archived