Wasp Nest

Perth to Paisley

Perth to Paisley

We have a wooden bird box in the garden that apears to be full of of a football size wasp nest.

Any safe ideas to get rid of said wasps without destroying bird box [petrol and match not an option!]

I was going to go for a high pressure hose approach whilst wearing my track spikes but I am not as fast as I once was - there is a good chance the blighters would get to be me before closing the French door.

Any sensible ideas considered.

Volunteers would not be turned away.

I P Knightley
We have a wooden bird box in the garden that apears to be full of of a football size wasp nest.

Any safe ideas to get rid of said wasps without destroying bird box [petrol and match not an option!]

I was going to go for a high pressure hose approach whilst wearing my track spikes but I am not as fast as I once was - there is a good chance the blighters would get to be me before closing the French door.

We've had this before and I think JKB agreed that the correct approach would be a seven iron.

Don't thank me - you'd only embarrass me with your kind words.

Chad Sexington

Once the wasps move in its only a matter of time before the giant hornets arrive.

Good luck. :smiley2:

mandarinia2.jpg

Once the wasps move in its only a matter of time before the giant hornets arrive.

mandarinia2.jpg

sexington, that petrifies the living be-jesus out of me... gonny no.

Horatio Caine

You get a white powder that kills any flying insects. Homebase, B & Q, etc will all stock it, probs in their garden centre bit.

Just puff the white powder on to the entrance of the nest and whenever even one wasp gets some of it , it carries it into the nest and they're all doomed!

Wasps not in the nest at the time won't go in but because it's their home nest they will die off within a few hours.

Only thing is - stay well clear for a while but by next day they will all be gone/dead and the nest will be inactive. Take it out and burn it then.

Chad Sexington

Haha.

:10900:

Sorry chief. You definitely wont want to look at this one then.

Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

Haha.

:10900:

Sorry chief. You definitely wont want to look at this one then.

Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

wasps and hornets are just pure evil. FACT.

The Old Tolbooth

mandarinia2.jpg

Damn you Chad, I trot that picture put 3 or 4 times a year just to scare the hell outta people on here, I was halfway through googling it again when I scrolled down and noticed you posted it :laugh:

(I should have copyrighted it) :D

You get a white powder that kills any flying insects. Homebase, B & Q, etc will all stock it, probs in their garden centre bit.

Just puff the white powder on to the entrance of the nest and whenever even one wasp gets some of it , it carries it into the nest and they're all doomed!

Wasps not in the nest at the time won't go in but because it's their home nest they will die off within a few hours.

Only thing is - stay well clear for a while but by next day they will all be gone/dead and the nest will be inactive. Take it out and burn it then.

Effective,but does not sound like fun. i always liked the idea of aiming a big ass firework at one and watch everything unfold..........at a distance :hat2:

why not just leave them to live in peace they wont hurt you if you dont hurt them:2thumbsup:

Agreed , Mon the wasps.

Miller Jambo 60
and another thing!!!!! its a wasps bike !!:10900: birds live in nests!!!!! am drunk:qqb017::nah:

Give it Gorgie Aggro simple kick it to bits:2thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth
and another thing!!!!! its a wasps bike !!:10900: birds live in nests!!!!! am drunk:qqb017::nah:

Well bugger me, your right mate, it's a wasps bike after all :10900:

urbanvespalogo.jpg

Only a Game

Wasps = The Hibernian of the insect world.

Feckin useless basturds who contribute feck all to insect or human society. Its a crying shame that Giant Pandas and Bengal Tigers are virtually extinct and wasps have survived and thrived. Somebody should invent a disease that kills them all wordwide in 24 hours. Little sh\its.

Anyway, the solution, B&Q for one of their wasp killing powders. Splash it all over, evacuate garden, destroy remaining nest whilst singing "Youve no won the bug cup (see what I did there) since 1902" Put a sign up on the bird box saying "No wasps" And do it now before they have babies.

why not just leave them to live in peace they wont hurt you if you dont hurt them:2thumbsup:

Best idea yet.

Peace man!

I like wasps. Cool clothes, slick profile - racing car lines. Answer to no man. Bet they pump loads of girly insects. Ladybirds look out!

hearts_crazy

Football sized you say? play football with it then, All that jostling will sort the feckers right out. Wasps don't like it up 'em

British wasps are gay anyway, you ought to see the size of the things we saw in Turkey, they kept popping down to the swimming pool for a drink, they looked like fecking helicopters.

Anyways, the answer is phone the council Environmental Health Dept they'll sort them out for ya.

Just set fire too the nest you might loose your bird table but you will forget about that when you see the flames dancing and the wasps burning.

I had a football sized nest in my loft a couple of years back and Edinburgh Council wanted to charge me ?58 just to coat it in powder. They expected me to remove the nest myself once the wasps were dead.

When I told them that it should be covered by my Council Tax they admitted that if I was on Council Tax benefit I could get it done for nothing. Cheeky beggars!

Miller Jambo 60

The council do a service at a fair price.:2thumbsup:

I had a football sized nest in my loft a couple of years back and Edinburgh Council wanted to charge me ?58 just to coat it in powder. They expected me to remove the nest myself once the wasps were dead.

When I told them that it should be covered by my Council Tax they admitted that if I was on Council Tax benefit I could get it done for nothing. Cheeky beggars!

how marvelous is that?

as a working person you pay the council tax. those on benefits have their contribution paid for them.

when it comes to getting a service, the working person is told to get it right up them... and the benefits claimer gets the VIP treatment.

lovely.

(disclaimer - nothing whatsoever against bona fide benefits claimers. just the system).

Yep Rentokil Insect Dust (for WASPS) about ?4 - squirt it in late in the evening and and should be gone in a few days once the queen is dead - to quote Morrisey.

Miller Jambo 60
Yep Rentokil Insect Dust (for WASPS) about ?4 - squirt it in late in the evening and and should be gone in a few days once the queen is dead - to quote Morrisey.

Pump the Queen end off:10900:

shuttlecat would just look at the feker and it would implode into a fizzle of sparks.

i love you shuttlecat.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
shuttlecat would just look at the feker and it would implode into a fizzle of sparks.

i love you shuttlecat.

Your obsession has gone to far Victorat.

shuttlecatisnotamuseda4kr6.jpg[/img]

Wait till Bouzid is back from germany and he'll do 50 keepie-ups with it then eat the wasps as a valuable protein snack !

mrmarkus1981

This is really making a Monday morning more enjoyable for me!

Get yoursell covered up (properly). Tin of fly & wasp spray in each hand and just go nuts.

Get someone to film it for our sake!

Get Susan Boyle along to sing to them. They'll be falling over themselves trying to commit suicide.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Serious answer: you get the white power, hook it onto the end of a fishing rod so you have plenty space to get the **** out and run.

Chad Sexington should be banned for posting horrific images, imo. Just about spewed with fear.

Best thing for a wasp nest is water. Soak the nest for a few minutes with a hose. The wasps will try to come back but the nest will be ruined. The tricky part is not getting stung. Good luck! :smiley2:

maroonlegions

I had a very nervy episode with a wasps nest that was in my loft.I got stuff from B&Q and went on a military SAS extermanation sorte .:10900:.It worked for me , exterminated the nest early in its development as if it is left it can number wasps in there hundreds.Once the stuff is on the wasps will automatically go bananas and try to clean it.They are in fact, when attempting to clean the nest,spreading it all over the nest ,so extermanation is imminent.:rifle:Once the queen is taken out they are fecked.:10900:If you ,(OP), decide to tackle it expect a lot of activity from the wasps when you first put your powder on.They are attempting to clean it , so they will probably not attack, they are more concerned about saving the queen by cleaning out the nest. :10900:

Out of interest have you tried asking them nicely to leave. You never know :smiley2:

Archived