Self-righteous hypocrites

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Guest Roop

There are people I know quite well who'll make a joke or two about Jade Goody, Michael Jackson, Fritzl, Maddy McCann and all find it in good humour without thinking they're crossed some sort of moral boundary when they are, in effect, telling quite a sick joke. There's nothing wrong with this, a joke is a joke. I even laugh to a lot of them and on the odd occasion, have been known to make one or two crass jokes.

In keeping with this utterly sick, twisted sense of humour, I posted the following personal comment on MSN yesterday: "I'd stamp on a baby's head for a beer right now". I'd expected a bit of mock outrage but only really from one, maybe two people who were trying to prove how morally bang-on they were.

Now I realise that many of you on here won't find it funny, and will think it's disgusting and I should be locked up or something - I fully accept and expect this.

However, when I woke up this morning, the same people who'd once told jokes about Lady Di, Michael Jackson etc were falling over themselves to send me abuse and vitriol because of this message. In short I received countless MSN messages, a few emails from concerned members of family, a flurry of text messages calling me a **** and one of my uncles was so shocked he rang my Dad and made him have a word with me. This smacks of hypocrisy. Why is it acceptable to laugh and joke about certain things but not others? I was honestly taken aback by the level of opprobrium flying at me from several directions. :nah:

On the advice of a fellow Kickbacker, I deleted the comment and changed it to: "To those who are angry at me: I wouldn't really stamp on a baby's head - I would rape one, though." Just to see how far I could really push this (and because I thought it was ****ing hilarious) and low and behold, more abuse from those people who just last week were mocking Michael Jackson and his victims which is just as bad as - if not worse than - what I said.

Where do we draw the line?

Seriously? You need to tell them all to GTF. There are days id happily stamp on a babys head for a cider and black.....

Think some folk need to lighten up. We'll all be dead from swine flu soon anyway!

There is no line,it's simply the way you tell 'em.

Having said that, some jokes don't lend themselves to literal transcript !

this_is_my_story
There are people I know quite well who'll make a joke or two about Jade Goody, Michael Jackson, Fritzl, Maddy McCann and all find it in good humour without thinking they're crossed some sort of moral boundary when they are, in effect, telling quite a sick joke. There's nothing wrong with this, a joke is a joke. I even laugh to a lot of them and on the odd occasion, have been known to make one or two crass jokes.

In keeping with this utterly sick, twisted sense of humour, I posted the following personal comment on MSN yesterday: "I'd stamp on a baby's head for a beer right now". I'd expected a bit of mock outrage but only really from one, maybe two people who were trying to prove how morally bang-on they were.

Now I realise that many of you on here won't find it funny, and will think it's disgusting and I should be locked up or something - I fully accept and expect this.

However, when I woke up this morning, the same people who'd once told jokes about Lady Di, Michael Jackson etc were falling over themselves to send me abuse and vitriol because of this message. In short I received countless MSN messages, a few emails from concerned members of family, a flurry of text messages calling me a **** and one of my uncles was so shocked he rang my Dad and made him have a word with me. This smacks of hypocrisy. Why is it acceptable to laugh and joke about certain things but not others? I was honestly taken aback by the level of opprobrium flying at me from several directions. :nah:

On the advice of a fellow Kickbacker, I deleted the comment and changed it to: "To those who are angry at me: I wouldn't really stamp on a baby's head - I would rape one, though." Just to see how far I could really push this (and because I thought it was ****ing hilarious) and low and behold, more abuse from those people who just last week were mocking Michael Jackson and his victims which is just as bad as - if not worse than - what I said.

I know exactly what you're getting at there, and it seems to be something that a fair few folk on this forum are guilty of too!! "Look what a tolerant, considerate, inoffensive all-round niceguy I am".

No, you're a bland dick. :10900:

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

I P Knightley

I sometimes find that stamping on a baby's head is the best way to enjoy a lager.

Maple Leaf

Some people will laugh at a good joke, regardless of the subject. For most people though, there are some topics that are a definite no-no for attempted humour. For example, would any sane Scottish person laugh at a "joke" about Dunblane?

The taboo subjects vary from person to person, and you can often cross the line without even knowing it.

I would say that the subject of abusing children would be on the list of most people as being inappropriate for humour. You discovered that the hard way.

I personally think that the OP's "sense of humour" is sick, vile and depraved.

If he thinks that is funny, I'd suggest some sort of psychiatric help.

Utterly abhorrent.

I P Knightley
Some people will laugh at a good joke, regardless of the subject. For most people though, there are some topics that are a definite no-no for attempted humour. For example, would any sane Scottish person laugh at a "joke" about Dunblane?

Interesting question. I don't remember ever hearing any about Dunblane, Columbine etc. I wonder if there's a line that even the sickos won't cross?

while in bad taste I would have to say the reacion is way OTT, it is as if people believed he would do it

it is something we see more and more where people see the need to comment on these things to appear on the moral high ground

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

There were more complaints made against Jonathan Ross for a comment he made recently. He said something about putting your son up for adopotion if he owns a Miley Cyrus CD and sad bas***ds rung up complaining it was homophobic!

I find it hard to get offended over any jokes, even Dunblane jokes. The closer to the bone the funnier they are.

Maple Leaf
Interesting question. I don't remember ever hearing any about Dunblane, Columbine etc. I wonder if there's a line that even the sickos won't cross?

Someone once said that 'tragedy plus time equals comedy'.

Sooner or later, the jokes about Dunblane, Columbine etc. will appear. But no matter how much time passes, those jokes will never be funny to me.

I find all of the above funny tbh.

Rick Grimes

You've done hee haw wrong. The only time a joke could ever be classed as wrong is when its used as a disguise to say something you're not actually joking about. Given the absurdity of your statement if anyone is taking that seriously then they need to have a word with themselves.

Oh, and your follow up message - absolute class. Best way to handle the situation.

Romanov Stole My Pension

IMO when it comes to comedy anything is fair game (inc. racism/sexism/homophobia/agism etc...). Comedy is supposed to be funny, it's not supposed to be taken seriously or show an accurate depiction of the comedian.

Snake Plissken

Tea on the monitor moment! :10900:

Every joke has it's audience.

What some people forget is that online - everyone is your audience. You basically told that joke to every stuck up erse on the planet. This includes people who might affect your life because of it. Your boss, your birds parents, your future employers, etc etc.

Telling a joke anonomously on a forum is one thing, but pasting it on t'internet with your name attached by way of your MSN or Facepuke is a bit daft.

Your Uncle, to be fair to him, is probably concerned that you will be blighting your good character by publically broadcasting a gag like that.

Keep jokes like that for in the boozer with mates who you know well enough to take it as a joke.

I'd expected a bit of mock outrage but only really from one, maybe two people who were trying to prove how morally bang-on they were.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the rest of your post (apart from the general observation that your "UTTERLY RAAAAAANDOM" comment wasn't funny on its merits), but the above is always mooted on here, when as far as I can see, it isn't really true.

I P Knightley
Comedy is supposed to be funny, it's not supposed to be taken seriously or show an accurate depiction of the comedian.

Jim Davidson?

Although I admit that his public persona MAY have been manipulated by the tabloids to match his brand of comedy, I suspect from some of the confirmed facts that he actually is an unpleasant bigot.

It's a joke on an internet program, tell them all to unbunch their ****ing knickers and bother themselves about something important.

What's worse, your comment or a racist comment? I bet they've all made or laughed at a racist joke.

Guest Roop
I personally think that the OP's "sense of humour" is sick, vile and depraved.

If he thinks that is funny, I'd suggest some sort of psychiatric help.

Utterly abhorrent.

**** off.

while in bad taste I would have to say the reacion is way OTT, it is as if people believed he would do it

it is something we see more and more where people see the need to comment on these things to appear on the moral high ground

Thank you.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the rest of your post (apart from the general observation that your "UTTERLY RAAAAAANDOM" comment wasn't funny on its merits), but the above is always mooted on here, when as far as I can see, it isn't really true.

You're reading into things that aren't there. I didn't say it was "utterly random". It seems like you're trying desperately hard to prove that your humour is beyond the type of person that would say things like random etc.

While that makes the second part of your post slightly ironic, it is true.

OP used the term "Smacks Of" therefore his argument is invalid.

Good point. Sorry.

Man U so EDgy

I expected this. I did have an inner dialogue before posting this about how, invariably, I'd come across as an attention craving **** who is trying hard to show how controversial I can be. For what it's worth, I agree with you. My position is untenable on that matter. I'm not quite sure what made me post it publicly other than my head stupidly going "Go on, it'll be a laugh" which is the catalyst for something bad to happen to you.

I accept it was a stupid thing to do, as usually I keep that sort of humour restricted to just a few people who I know will find that sort of thing funny as well. The thing that really got to me was how people were otherwise fine with mocking dead, raping children or the death of a few icons by way of a crass joke yet when I had a go, those same people lost all that mirth.

Are you going to be kept in for a week?

Probably, why? Are you going to come over and sodomise me?

rossthejambo

So did you get the beer?

Or did you have to maime many infants in order to get one? :10900:

Probably, why? Are you going to come over and sodomise me?

Bless. The youth of today ladies and gentlemen!:10900:

The People's Chimp

If I was your Uncle I'd have taken you to task as well. No member of my family is getting away with putting out similar lines and calling them "humour."

Guest Roop
Bless. The youth of today ladies and gentlemen!:10900:

Sorry. :10900:

If I was your Uncle I'd have taken you to task as well. No member of my family is getting away with putting out similar lines and calling them "humour."

Fair enough. But if you were the sort of person that joked about the death of MJ etc shouldn't you feel different?

In the middle of typing that post I got a text that says the following: "its sick, u need to remove it and slap yourself you sicko. its not funny at all." This is from someone who once racially abused her teacher. This is exactly my point.

I think the main lesson to be learned here is not to add your relatives on facebook/msn etc unless of course they have a sicker sense of humour than yourself.

Mulitple MSNs needed. 1 that you use, 1 that your family can contact you on.

I find it utterly hilarious that what you said could actually offend people.

Ridiculous.

I can't believe people would actually believe you would do that! Especially people who know you. I don't know you but if you had said that to me I'd have understood what you meant and there is no way you'd stamp on a baby's head!

It isn't particularly funny, however it isn't offensive in the slightest, anyone who gets offended by that is a *****:rifle:

CostaJambo
Every joke has it's audience.

What some people forget is that online - everyone is your audience. You basically told that joke to every stuck up erse on the planet. This includes people who might affect your life because of it. Your boss, your birds parents, your future employers, etc etc.

Telling a joke anonomously on a forum is one thing, but pasting it on t'internet with your name attached by way of your MSN or Facepuke is a bit daft.

Your Uncle, to be fair to him, is probably concerned that you will be blighting your good character by publically broadcasting a gag like that.

Keep jokes like that for in the boozer with mates who you know well enough to take it as a joke.

That joke wouldnae work in a boozer.:10900:

You're reading into things that aren't there. I didn't say it was "utterly random". It seems like you're trying desperately hard to prove that your humour is beyond the type of person that would say things like random etc.

I'm not "trying desperately hard" to prove anything. I know that my humour is better than that, and - as an unfortunate consequence - yours. Sorry. :(

While that makes the second part of your post slightly ironic, it is true.

It's not, so it isn't.

Gorgiewave

I think you will find people who hear jokes which are too close to home and just don't laugh. For example, I was regularly beaten up by my stepbrother for years and jokes about violence just don't wash with me. Jokes about violence (at least the cowardly, giggly sort) is common enough on kickback. @@@@@H, IIRC.

The BBC's "Green Book" moderating comedy published in the 1940s (IIRC) said that the fundamental requisite was that it had to be funny. What the OP put was just not funny. Not so sick as to induce a row, just witless and stupid.

My guess is that people who are not personally affected by the content of poor-taste jokes and who are apparently outraged by something are in reality scared by their consciences into saying something, even though their minds tell them that it's just silly.

This is more like it.

I told Pringle to tell his family he would rape a baby in retaliation.

That changes a few opinions, eh?

A lot of hypocrites on this thread.

x

Guest Roop
I'm not "trying desperately hard" to prove anything. I know that my humour is better than that, and - as an unfortunate consequence - yours. Sorry. :(

I'm afraid you are, Acey, it's fairly obvious. You're also failing in this respect. If the repetitive emboldening of certain words and the tired use of internet clich?s are prime examples of your acerbic wit and discerning humour (which they undoubtedly are) then I for one am worried for you.

Still, at least you've learned to quote what I actually said. There is hope for you. :smiley2:

It's not, so it isn't.

It is, so it is. Hope this helps.

Anyway, back on topic.

Guest Roop
I think you will find people who hear jokes which are too close to home and just don't laugh. For example, I was regularly beaten up by my stepbrother for years and jokes about violence just don't wash with me. Jokes about violence (at least the cowardly, giggly sort) is common enough on kickback. @@@@@H, IIRC.

The BBC's "Green Book" moderating comedy published in the 1940s (IIRC) said that the fundamental requisite was that it had to be funny. What the OP put was just not funny. Not so sick as to induce a row, just witless and stupid.

My guess is that people who are not personally affected by the content of poor-taste jokes and who are apparently outraged by something are in reality scared by their consciences into saying something, even though their minds tell them that it's just silly.

Good post. I completely agree with you. The woman who called me a 'sicko' etc had just had a baby a few months ago so I can see it stemming from that. Very hypocritical of her, though.

I am deeply offended by what you said:10900:

If they cannie take a joke dinnie talk too them if i dont find something funny that someone said i dont laugh i dont phone there dad and make him have a word too them about it was them that took it too far.

Gorgiewave
Good post. I completely agree with you. The woman who called me a 'sicko' etc had just had a baby a few months ago so I can see it stemming from that. Very hypocritical of her, though.

I would add that gallows humour appeals to some people, but not others.

For example, I had an incident once when a condom broke on me and the girl said she was going to have the baby if she got pregnant. The joke occurred to me: "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips". But I was also extremely relieved by then to know that her period had started. It was like the final scene of Grease: "I'M NOT PG!!!!!!".

But I think I might have slapped anybody who had come out with any of these jokes during those appalling few hours when I thought I was going to be a dad.

Obviously, I hope my day will come, but in the context of a stable, loving relationship.

Guest Roop
I am deeply offended by what you said:10900:

If they cannie take a joke dinnie talk too them if i dont find something funny that someone said i dont laugh i dont phone there dad and make him have a word too them about it was them that took it too far.

That's the thing. I wouldn't mind if they hadn't made just as sick jokes in the past. If someone isn't used to that sort of thing I can understand them being a bit shocked but it's just the complete hypocrisy of these people.

You said up there about the woman that had the baby a few months ago being offended my wife had one 7weeks ago and if i said something like that too her she would not get up in arms about it.People always look for a reason too moan so dont take any notice of them.I am surprised that your dad never told your uncle where to go.

John Findlay

I like comedy to offend. Sometimes the more offensive it is the funnier it is.

John

I agree with John Findlay, offensive humour is the funniest IMHO.

Problem with what Pringle's done is that it wasn't particularly funny, and it was done in public. If you'd met each of the people who moaned at you about it, and made that statement on an individual basis, then they'd have laughed or smiled and understood what you meant. But sticking it in your msn name for all and sundry to see implies that you don't fully understand social etiquette and people may have been concerned to be associated with someone who feels they can make a statement like that so public. I think its more a case that people are shocked that you would say something like that in a very public way, akin to someone walking about bearing a swastika tatoo in comparison to the many people who tell / laugh at racist jokes but wouldn't dream of doing it in a number of social situations.

This is more like it.

I told Pringle to tell his family he would rape a baby in retaliation.

That changes a few opinions, eh?

A lot of hypocrites on this thread.

x

Hahahahahahahah I.J, you're so funny.

Pringle, you sicko. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

You're a genuinely funny man. Seven out of ten will hit the spot but the other three won't work.

Don't fight it. It's pointless. When you're in a hole, stop digging and bow out gracefully. Then move on to the next target.

Archived