Webster bit in EEN

Brick Tamland

Mark_Mywords
Dangerous stuff from Bazza

The Ibrox club had an offer in the region of ?1million for the defender rejected by Hearts in July 2005 and suspicions were that David Murray, the Rangers chairman, made a verbal agreement with his Wigan counterpart Dave Whelan to "bounce" Webster off the English Premier League club.

This has never been proven

Has a Scottish journalist at last grown a backbone?

Dangerous, how?

Gary Johnson quote from article "I did speak to Rangers a couple of times about taking him back early but they decided they wanted him to stay down here."

Obviously I am just too close minded.

I was delighted when we signed Stevie Fulton in exchange for David Hagen. The biggest robbery ever. Falkirk clearly got the worst of that deal.

Genk must have been delighted when they ripped us off for the Bullet. St Johnstone lost their best player in Hartley. Tosh McKinlay was a tremendous player for us and went to Celtic. It all goes around ... unless the player is an out and out fan like Gary Mackay, players will want to go to the best clubs for trophies, money, international chances, more European football - and the same all the way down the chain.

if he was to kneel down in the centre circle and beg forgiveness with sincerity from every hearts fan he ****ed all over..... then there is a small chance I'd have him back..... but it's not gonna happen... so feck him !

If he did ever come back iam pretty sure we would get a groveling apology for some reason,it just wouldnt work otherwise.

Charlie-Brown

Craig Gordon & Paul Hartley both signed improved contracts with the club and when the time came to move on they helped Hearts recoup a good fee for those players - Webster waited until the transfer window closed then announced he had no intention of staying and tried to force Hearts hand to sell him on the cheap, also given we were in direct competition with the club Webster intended to sign with for a Champions League place the club were right to freeze him out the remaining games in precisely the same way Gretna froze out Alan Main after he'd signed a pre-contract with promotion rivals St. Johnstone before the end of the season when both clubs were fighting neck & neck for an SPL place.

Webster could have played fair by Hearts and still got a big money transfer, instead he & his agent (& almost certainly Murray & Bain with Wigan's help) tried to screw Hearts and they succeeded.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for the player in those circumstances however he was a good player for Hearts - shame he ruined that by his actions.

Craig Gordon & Paul Hartley both signed improved contracts with the club and when the time came to move on they helped Hearts recoup a good fee for those players - Webster waited until the transfer window closed then announced he had no intention of staying and tried to force Hearts hand to sell him on the cheap, also given we were in direct competition with the club Webster intended to sign with for a Champions League place the club were right to freeze him out the remaining games in precisely the same way Gretna froze out Alan Main after he'd signed a pre-contract with promotion rivals St. Johnstone before the end of the season when both clubs were fighting neck & neck for an SPL place.

Webster could have played fair by Hearts and still got a big money transfer, instead he & his agent (& almost certainly Murray & Bain with Wigan's help) tried to screw Hearts and they succeeded.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for the player in those circumstances however he was a good player for Hearts - shame he ruined that by his actions.

He waited until the transfer window closed and then tried to get Hearts to sell him on the cheap?

When did Webster show any unprofessionalism on the pitch?

Was the club right to try to freeze him out then to play him in the big semi final against Hibs? How did he play in that game?

Did Paul Hartley get St Johnstone a transfer fee?

i heard that he had a few demons in his personal life,i wonder if that afftected his judgement?

i heard that he had a few demons in his personal life,i wonder if that afftected his judgement?

Vlad had a few demons? Just a few?

Probably the first article i've read that's acknowledged a potential agreement between David Murray and Whelan.

ToadKiller Dog
He waited until the transfer window closed and then tried to get Hearts to sell him on the cheap?

When did Webster show any unprofessionalism on the pitch?

Was the club right to try to freeze him out then to play him in the big semi final against Hibs? How did he play in that game?

Did Paul Hartley get St Johnstone a transfer fee?

He played in 3 of the 4 games before the cup semi hardly frozen out of the team .In fact he played in every game the except the Falkirk game between the United farce and the semi.

It was his employee who announced on the eve of that United game in the Feb that his player would no longer even discuss a contract with Hearts,a very professional way to behave on the eve of a match. hence he was dropped for the united game as was Neilson who took it on the chin .

Hearts offered him a decent contract ,All hearts seem to have did was to deny a player the chance of a move to one of the clubs rivals which is there right with a contracted player .

Webster knew what he was doing with his buddies at rangers and wigan he gets no sympathy from me .

PsychocAndy
No hankies needed here...****** him:2thumbsup:

webster = despicable rat.

mod edit

Karma in all its glory.

I hope his arse falls off.

no chance. if he doesn't play a game again then he'll have paid for it. or if he does then its at the level where we rescued him from (2nd/3rd division)

I agree with all of these posters, some for the first time. Andy Webster has united a cross section of fans in thinking he's a fud.

Even HMFC_Steve swore in his reply and I have never heard him swear sober.

Diddy got his fee. Webster got a few signing on fee's and a bigger wage. Job done if your a Dellboy type business man. Shame he was a football player with hugh potential.

Unlucky son im off to laugh at you again.

winston churchill

as i said on another thread.

the judas rat should join up with the chest thumping number 2 at falkirk.

they are made for each other.

I am willing to stand corrected if wrong, but is the notion that Hearts were late in paying Arbroath not a little mischeivous, in that we were contracted to pay them a percentage of any transfer fee, but, in fact, we didn't receive such a fee. What we did ultimately receive was a much lesser amount as compensation, so, legally, but maybe not morally, Arbroath weren't entitled to anything.

Can anyone confirm or contradict this?

Dangerous stuff from Bazza

The Ibrox club had an offer in the region of ?1million for the defender rejected by Hearts in July 2005 and suspicions were that David Murray, the Rangers chairman, made a verbal agreement with his Wigan counterpart Dave Whelan to "bounce" Webster off the English Premier League club.

This has never been proven

Has a Scottish journalist at last grown a backbone?

Even more surprising when you consider that Anderson is a Rangers fan.

I was really impressed with the article. Maybe he fancies himself as the new Graham Spiers....

:D

Put a tache on him and that is some fine work.

I would say the way he acted he's more like Randy than Earl!

Andy Webster = Ar*****e!

Rick Grimes
:D

Put a tache on him and that is some fine work.

done

mynameisandy2.jpg

tartofmidlothian

I thought Andy Webster always seemed like a nice guy. Saw him at a concert at the Castle with his girlfriend before he left, and he seemed happy to chat with the fans and pose for pictures.

But he let himself be lured by the money thanks to Duddy and Murray, and screwed over a team where he was, let's face it, loved and respected by the fans. Falkirk will be about his level now, before the Dundees, Particks, East Fifes and Stranraers of the world beckon.

If so, good karma last year when Kaunas dumped RFC out of Europe and nearly screwed them financially.

Is Duddy still in the game and if so who are his charges. If they had any sense theyd bolt the door sharpish.

Gods a Jambo
I suspect your in the minority with that one buddy.

He's gotten exactly what he deserves. I for one will NEVER forgive the snidey little grins THAT night at tannadice.

How the mighty have fallen eh Andy.

Your 100% right on that one mate, i was in the stand and he was grinning like a smart erse when the hearts fans were singing his name. I hated him from that moment.

Snake Plissken

If he signs for another SPL club and comes back to Tynecastle I say we erect a 20ft banner near the front row to read:

AINT KARMA A BITCH ANDY

If he signs for another SPL club and comes back to Tynecastle I say we erect a 20ft banner near the front row to read:

AINT KARMA A BITCH ANDY

But he is from Dundee,he might not know what karma means :stuart:

Jambof3tornado

I think his agent had a lot to do with the move,but Andy wasnt a niave youngster as such and should have seen what was happening.

****!!!:nah:

But he is from Dundee,he might not know what karma means :stuart:

Probably would think that it's something you get in an Indian Restaurant!!!!

scott herbertson
Very good article. Hes the only former player I really hold anything against.

He got what was coming to him, it had nothing to do with ambition. Just greed and arseholishness.

agreed, though I would add allan johston for similar reasons

Andy Webster to me sums up what is wrong with Scotish Football and the mentality of young Scotish players.

He formed a partnership with Pressley which was the best in the country, had the best Goalkeeper Scotland has seen in my lifetime behind him and in front of him Paul Hartley was the most influential player in Scotland at the time.

Sure there were problems behind the scenes however IMO players should be looking to be better than their old firm rivals not have one eye on playing for them. If young players were to set their standards a bit higher I'm sure the standard of play would improve in this country.

Andy Webster to me sums up what is wrong with Scotish Football and the mentality of young Scotish players.

He formed a partnership with Pressley which was the best in the country, had the best Goalkeeper Scotland has seen in my lifetime behind him and in front of him Paul Hartley was the most influential player in Scotland at the time.

Sure there were problems behind the scenes however IMO players should be looking to be better than their old firm rivals not have one eye on playing for them. If young players were to set their standards a bit higher I'm sure the standard of play would improve in this country.

Little doubt that he was trying to engineer his way out of Tynecastle before Burley even arrived. His agent, Rangers and himself are to blame for his demise. Funny how players who do this sort of thing seldom seem to go on to great things. Paul Ritchie took the same route as did Allan Johnston and shafting Hearts certainly did their careers a power of good.

I wonder if Webster ever wakens up in the middle of the night and thinks to himself " what an erse I've made of things, I wish I had signed that contract I was offered by Hearts"

Dr. Bapswent
Probably would think that it's something you get in an Indian Restaurant!!!!

Most hilarious post ever!

Little doubt that he was trying to engineer his way out of Tynecastle before Burley even arrived. His agent, Rangers and himself are to blame for his demise. Funny how players who do this sort of thing seldom seem to go on to great things. Paul Ritchie took the same route as did Allan Johnston and shafting Hearts certainly did their careers a power of good.

I wonder if Webster ever wakens up in the middle of the night and thinks to himself " what an erse I've made of things, I wish I had signed that contract I was offered by Hearts"

Doubt he does tbh, Rangers players seem to have a stupid mentality where they seem happy just to be there. Their Scotish players seem to have little interest in playing for their country and apart from Kevin Thomson I cant think of any who have actually improved as players.

I think the lesson for young Scotish players is develop where you are and when you are ready you will know as a team from a better league will make a respectable offer for you.

grumpy rebus

I'm sure Webster wanted away before Burley turned up and seem to remember he pulled out of a tour to Ireland to try and engineer a move to Castle Greyskull.

And on the subject of the "predetermined" move via Wigan, I wonder if it was a coincidence that at the same time as this was happening Rangers were closing there shops and handing the franchise to JJB - Dave Wheelan's firm!

What goes around, comes around.

gorgie_boys

He'll be on more than we can afford, and we have Zaliukas, Jonsson, and McGowan at CB. **** him.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
No, that was your Holland-Norway update the other week.

Or the one about his bird dumping him. :D

What this about Erik??

No great conspiracy theories or anything - I just think that he showed the Hearts support a MASSIVE disrespect that night.

At a time where we were all angry, and as the farce was unfolding unfront of us and everyone was very much on edge (not to mention having rushed all the way up to dundee, only to have to wait outside for the majority of the first half due to queues at the turnstiles) and whilst he warmed up in front of his fans - the snidey, "better than you" kinda grin that he directed our way is one which will live long in my memory.

Personally, think it was a bigger "F-You" than even the chest pumping antics of that other controversial player.

132goals1958
No great conspiracy theories or anything - I just think that he showed the Hearts support a MASSIVE disrespect that night.

At a time where we were all angry, and as the farce was unfolding unfront of us and everyone was very much on edge (not to mention having rushed all the way up to dundee, only to have to wait outside for the majority of the first half due to queues at the turnstiles) and whilst he warmed up in front of his fans - the snidey, "better than you" kinda grin that he directed our way is one which will live long in my memory.

Personally, think it was a bigger "F-You" than even the chest pumping antics of that other controversial player.

I also seem to recall reading a post on here a while ago, where someone indicated that when Webster was warming up as a sub (Tynecastle Game) ? he directed a comment towards the crowd along the lines of --- cant wait to get away from this place.

Brick Tamland

I wonder through it all and with where he is now, if it has deterred any other of our players, or from other teams for that matter, from doing something similar. In a perverse kind of way has it made contracts worth sticking to now?

Nookie Bear

So you think he "may" have been the who leaked to the media that Rix never picked the team and you are reading 'something' into his grin??

Firstly, good on him if he did leak that - it had to be done.

Second, he had every right to grin because he knew it was a joke, as was our club.

All I think of Webster is that he got dazzled by playing for Rangers but the true culprits are his agent, Walter Smith and Dave Whelan. He'll get abuse when he returns simply cos he thought he could do better and failed, but it won't be any worse than Seve got from me.

I agree with all of these posters, some for the first time. Andy Webster has united a cross section of fans in thinking he's a fud.

Even HMFC_Steve swore in his reply and I have never heard him swear sober.

I hope Andy Webster snaps his collarbone bending over to clutch his injured knees. :furious3:

Spellczech
No, it is much the same as when we sign players from Inverness for example.

Considering I can only think of 2 instances where we have signed players from ICT and never induced a player to seek a move to Hearts, I struggle with the analogy...

I don't think any fan likes to see a player leave for nothing at the end of his contract and we've all seen Weir, Ritchie & Johnston do it - we wanted to retain all 3 but failed, and TBH there is little difference from them leaving and Fulton, Bruno & Karapidis yet they just don't wrankle so much for some reason...

The Webster case is different though as he hurt the club in order to leave, and arguably, he owed as much to the club as either Weir or Ritchie did. The whole Webster saga stank and I began to go off the guy as soon as he tried to engineer a move just as Burley came in the door.

I just don't wish him well in any way whatsoever...

Archived