Laptop Memory: Question..

S.N.T.H.

Couple of questions for the Shed Massive:

How do i find out how much memory i have available on my laptop?

How much memory do i need to run a typical game, such as Football Mgr?

Any help would be appreciated.

x

Bordeaux 03
Couple of questions for the Shed Massive:

How do i find out how much memory i have available on my laptop?

How much memory do i need to run a typical game, such as Football Mgr?

Any help would be appreciated.

x

Do you mean processing power as in RAM? You can find that out by right clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties. FM 2009 is about 1GB of RAM which every laptop will have, mine has that and runs perfectly.

If you mean physical memory, open up my computer and beside your harddrive usually C:, it should tell you the amount of free space you have. Again I imagine it taking up 1GB or so of memory, but mind save game files take up quite a lot normally about 250-500MB which is half of 1GB.

The Wicker Man

There are a few factors to take in to consideration - CPU, Memory, Graphics card and operating system.

Usually the limiting factor on a laptop is the on-board graphics card.

For FM 2009 the recommendations are......

Minimum requirements (PC)

Windows XP / Vista

1.4GHz processor for XP or 2.0 GHz for Vista

512MB RAM for XP or 1GB RAM for Vista

Graphic Card - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or better.

Crucial memory scanner

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

It's a quick way to determine the memory configuration in the machine (for example you might have 1Gb of RAM fitted but is it 1 x 1Gb or 2 x 512Mb?)

This will make a difference as many laptops only have 2 memory slots so if you have 1 x 1Gb you can add another module to the empty slot but if there is 2 x 512Mb, you will have to dump the memory you have and buy new memory as there won't be any free slots left

Hard to tell without opening up the machine, this makes it easy though and you can also buy the memory from them too, prices are reasonable and at least you know you are getting the correct type!

Archived