Does the law say you MUST wear a cycle helmet?

3inaBednar

3inaBednar

Borrowed a mates bike for a couple of weeks and fancy going for a cycle later today but I don't have a cycle helmet. Is it Law you have to wear one or just a recommendation? diny want to get done when i'm out o the road.

Had a look on govt highway code website but it is ambiguous as to whether it's the law or just a recommendation to wear one.

There is no legal requirement.

Often if you use a bike for business, as postmen do, they insist on wearing helmets.

However this is usually inspired by insurance companies which will not pay out otherwise.

You dont have to wear one dude.. They just recomend that you do..

First rule of anything.... wear appropriate safety gear.

I never go anywhere without my helmet on its just basic common sense.

Not the law, but highly recommended.

Once I was in a cycle lane going up the inside of queueing traffic at traffic lights. Daft bint opens taxi door. I slam on the brakes and await the impact. The momentum carried me forward and my head smashed right into the corner of the taxi door, splitting the plastic on the front of my cycle helmet.

I always looked at helmets differently after that.

Gorgiewave
cheers for the advice guys, nae helmet it is then, sorted.:2thumbsup:

Dinnae be daft, they can easily save your life. They might indeed have saved mine, twice, once when on the front at Granton when I went over oil and another time outside the Conan Doyle when I tried to go onto the pavement at too narrow an angle and went arse over tit.

Like bear attacks, once would be enough.

Doctor FinnBarr
Not the law, but highly recommended.

Once I was in a cycle lane going up the inside of queueing traffic at traffic lights. Daft bint opens taxi door. I slam on the brakes and await the impact. The momentum carried me forward and my head smashed right into the corner of the taxi door, splitting the plastic on the front of my cycle helmet.

I always looked at helmets differently after that.

Shows how good cycle helmets are!

Dinnae be daft, they can easily save your life. They might indeed have saved mine, twice, once when on the front at Granton when I went over oil and another time outside the Conan Doyle when I tried to go onto the pavement at too narrow an angle and went arse over tit.

Like bear attacks, once would be enough.

Thats illegal, obey the laws of the road like everyone else has to.

:th_o:

I quite often go through a red light on my bike, as all good cyclists should do. Unless a car is coming towards you of course.

As for the helmet sometimes I do sometimes I dont. Depends on the weather. If warm and sunny the helmet gets put in the rucksack.

Gorgiewave

:th_o:

Aye, I know, it was to get off the bike, not to ride it more than a yard on the pavement.

Doctor FinnBarr
Aye, I know, it was to get off the bike, not to ride it more than a yard on the pavement.

Ok

:stuart:

Andyeyespy

u wanna wear one, saves u drinking ur food through a straw.......

Fell off my bike the other week. (Was going down two very small steps when I got a puncture). When over the handlebars, and the bike landed on top of me.

Burst my chin open, chipped half a dozen teeth. Wasn't wearing a helmet. May do so in the future. :hat2::hat2::hat2:

Wearing a helmet's not going to protect your chin or teeth though ?

Although the BMA recommend compulsory wearing of helmets, evidence is shaky on the amount of good this actually does and there is an argument that not wearing a helmet increases awareness; hence safety.

Best advice I could offer is wear something to get yourself noticed on a bike...most serious accidents of which I'm aware, involve motorists simply not seeing the cyclist.

u wanna wear one, saves u drinking ur food through a straw.......

The nail has been hit firmly on it's head. If only it had been wearing a helmet ....

They're designed to do that, ya muppet. It took the impact and the damage, rather than my skull.

Carl Spackler

We may live in a Nanny State but the advice to wear a crash helmet when on your Bike is sound.

If you are good on a bike you can get up to 30, 40 even 50mph (the latter if you are really good). If you fall off at that speed a crack your head off something then I'd say there's a very good chance you are going straight to Intensive Care or worse.

I was pro-helmet until this thread came up and I thought I'd look up some research.

Seems like the main reason for not making them law in the UK is that in Australia the stats show that compulsory helmets haven't changed anything much and any benefit is minimal or debatable.

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/helmet_damage.html

If you are doing any extreme sports type cycling or BMX on a track or on a skate park I'd strongly recommend one.

Certainly would want to be wearing one if I did have a big head-first drop.

Carl Spackler
I was pro-helmet until this thread came up and I thought I'd look up some research.

Seems like the main reason for not making them law in the UK is that in Australia the stats show that compulsory helmets haven't changed anything much and any benefit is minimal or debatable.

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/helmet_damage.html

If you are doing any extreme sports type cycling or BMX on a track or on a skate park I'd strongly recommend one.

Certainly would want to be wearing one if I did have a big head-first drop.

I wouldn't make it law either. If you are just dawdling about then there probably isn't any more risk than walking or running about. You have to draw the line somewhere!

The People's Chimp

There's a similar argument in winter sports. The speeds you can reach should really point to wearing one all the time, but I tend to pick and choose days, especially if the weather is good. BUT if Freeriding then if you're doing a tree run or hitting the park, essential wear.

I P Knightley
Not sure if not wearing a helmet increases awareness, although they are uncomfortable, which may impair reactions etc.

A decent one, properly fitted, is unnoticeable when on. Almost to the extent of forgetting that I've not taken the bugger off and sitting like a simpleton with the hat still on.

It's not going to save you if you're hit by a truck or come off at full pelt head first into a lamp post.

Likewise, the majority of us aren't going to fall off a bike and hit our heads at all.

However, there's that small chance of an inbetweeny where you might just take a tumble and knock the side of your head on a stone or something and the damage from that is easily mitigated at little cost by wearing your hat.

I can think of no reason why someone who cycles regularly would not put on a lid.

Archived