'What next for Celtic after Coyle's embarrassing rejection?'

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Good piece:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/29/celtic-manager-coyle-mcghee-mowbray

Key quote:

"In blunt terms, when Celtic cannot attract a manager from Burnley, let alone one who has supported them all of his life, alarm bells must start ringing somewhere. Either Celtic's allure is nothing like it used to be or Scottish football genuinely is in terminal decline."

Gimme an H...
Good piece:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/29/celtic-manager-coyle-mcghee-mowbray

Key quote:

"In blunt terms, when Celtic cannot attract a manager from Burnley, let alone one who has supported them all of his life, alarm bells must start ringing somewhere. Either Celtic's allure is nothing like it used to be or Scottish football genuinely is in terminal decline."

It comes down to one simple decision, the SPL or the Premiership.

Not many would choose the SPL no matter who you supported as a kid.

wright1989

I would, Hearts every time.

Gimme an H...

A purely professional decision though, try to prove yourself in the best league on the planet or go to the (arguably) best team in the SPL and compete against Rangers for the title.

No brainer really.

jambojackbilly

John Hughes may have a pop prior to moving to Engerland

:10900:

He's Special they Need him :smiley2:

japanjambo

Couldny give a rats bum aboot who manages Celtic, but I' give my right arm to manage Hearts...but it isny gonny hapen, ads I'm a pished on a friday night scot, who's been living in Japan for over 18 yeas! ;-)

Lynn

PS. Love The Csaba...hope he's here for a few yet!

A purely professional decision though, try to prove yourself in the best league on the planet or go to the (arguably) best team in the SPL and compete against Rangers for the title.

No brainer really.

Small point but I would take issue with " best league on the planet ". Richest maybe, but personally I would prefer to watch in Spain or Germany first.

ToadKiller Dog
Small point but I would take issue with " best league on the planet ". Richest maybe, but personally I would prefer to watch in Spain or Germany first.

So would i ,

Celtic parochial ,celtic minded myth ,will hold them back getting and accepting a decent manager .

Is that Guardian report right that the Smellies will have two rounds to play if they want to make the champions league ,thought it was just one ?.

Guest jambomickey
Couldny give a rats bum aboot who manages Celtic, but I' give my right arm to manage Hearts...but it isny gonny hapen, ads I'm a pished on a friday night scot, who's been living in Japan for over 18 yeas! ;-)

Lynn

PS. Love The Csaba...hope he's here for a few yet!

spot on lynn.:10900:

alwaysthereinspirit

If I did what Coyle did in such a short time I'm not sure I would leave them for Hearts. Especially with Mad still around.

I think going to either of the OF teams is a poisioned chalice. They are massive clubs so managing them does have a lot of prestige but it's actually quite difficult to be perceived as having done well with them as for instance, failing to win the league is a disaster but winning counts for much less that the minimum they each expect to achieve.

The fans are such that they like/dislike you based on almost anything other than results but it's easier to get them to hate you than like and support you. It's a tough gig to win and because our league is seen as being so poor it doesn't stand you that well elsewhere, look at O'Neill - probably as successful as any recent OF manager but the best he gets offered is Aston Villa, a very solid premiership club but not one of the bigger names.

portobellojambo1
Good piece:

Key quote:

Said it before on another thread, any manager with half a brain would pick any club presently in the EPL over either Rangers or Celtic, unless they were daft or desperate. If you want to challenge yourself and your ability you do it at the best possible level, that isn't the SPL (unless you happen to be managing in the Scottish lower leagues).

For any manager going to Celtic they will be judged on one thing alone, after it has been established that they are 'Celtic minded', and that is results against Rangers.

In relation to the actual quote i would say the problem is more to do with Celtic's allure mind you, I don't think managers now look at Rangers and Celtic and think big clubs, whom I can prove myself with.

i don't think it's "embarrassing" at all for celtic that coyle has/will tell them to bolt. i reckon they had no intention of headhunting coyle and were merely playing the required game of keeping their deluded imbecilic supporters happy with a perceived 'ambition' to get a manager of high stock.

if coyle had told them he would come as long as his personal terms and squad budget requirements were met then they would have **** themselves.

coyle ticked all the main boxes for celtic as a pretend target. 'big' name... check... 'sellik minded'... check... no way he's going to say yes... check.

mark mcghee i reckon, although they would do well to get monkey face instead if they can, even that seems doubtful.

scots civil war

the burnley chairman was commenting that it was all fabrication from the jock media

the weedgie press,yet again, clutching at straws to peddle their bollocks eh

coyles got bigger aspirations,and he correctly rejects ,the parochial nonsense that is septic fc:compute:

Of course the fact that he would miss out on a ?1 million bonus has nothing to do with it.

Even I would find it hard to take the Hearts job giving up such an amount when during my career I have not been paid at the top end of football wages.

If Coyle came to Celtic and finished 2nd or lower he would be deemed a failure.

If he stays where he is and finishes 17th or above he will be regarded as a success.

No brainer, really.

BREAKING NEWS.

Celtic have released a statement saying that their next manager will be David Blunkett.

Sources at Parkhead say the reason for this appointment is that Mr Blunkett knows how to hold onto a lead.

shaun.lawson

When it's Burnley or Celtic though, I don't think it does boil down to that. I think it boiled down to what Celtic's budget would be. No doubt Coyle spoke to them informally, or through intermediaries, but no official approach was made; and Coyle's rejection tells me they're willing to spend very, very little. He was in a very strong bargaining position, and would have to be made a tremendous offer to leave.

Managing the OF has its attractions for some - but is also something of a nightmare. Half of Glasgow loves you (but only if you constantly get results, and not if you don't 'get' their club); the other half despises you. Simply going out for a family meal can't be easy, and the continual pressure must be tough to deal with. In that context, in order to hire a manager already doing great somewhere else, the terms have to be good; but Celtic don't appear to have offered them.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

Manage the team you built up and won promotion into the EPL with.

Or

Manager the team who want to be in the EPL.

Manage the team who have just been given a massive windfall of cash and been allocated a large transfer budget.

Or

Manage the team who's directors pay themselfs a massive bonus on money saved each season so have no incentive to spend.

Go out up town for a quiet meal and a pleasant night out with the family.

Or

Be afraid to leave your house due to the risk of you and your family being abused.

No brainer really!!

Coyle has probably looked at the EPL and feels there is a chance he can get Burnley to stay up.

With teams like Stoke, Hull, Sunderland as well as the other 2 promoted teams there is every chance he will succeed.

Personally, I find the list of managers celtic have on their radar to be quite amusing. After all, aren't they one of the biggest clubs in the world?!

Coyle, Mowbray etc are hardly top class managers.

So hoping monkey heid gets the job and brings his flair football to Parkhead. We could see Celtic struggling to get 3rd place if he does.

shaun.lawson

My best friend, who knows very little about football but has a Celtic-supporting boyfriend, made two interesting points earlier. First, she thinks the only way to stop the sort of violence which got that poor Celtic fan murdered the other day would be for Celtic and Rangers' players en masse to refuse to play unless any sort of violence ceased, and for good. Second, when we were talking about who might be likely to take the Celtic job and I mentioned Bilic, she said "well, coming from Croatia, he'll surely be able to understand the Old Firm".

I think she's right too.

southside1874

The lure of the cash and the thought of Champions League football will lure some geezer from europe to take on the challenge. Lets have a laugh while he adjusts to the ways of the mentalists.

Strachan wins 3 in a row and when he looses, the mentalists want rid. These babies want too much and its wel known.

Squigglybillion inasevilla. He's my tip

southside1874
My best friend, who knows very little about football but has a Celtic-supporting boyfriend, made two interesting points earlier. First, she thinks the only way to stop the sort of violence which got that poor Celtic fan murdered the other day would be for Celtic and Rangers' players en masse to refuse to play unless any sort of violence ceased, and for good. Second, when we were talking about who might be likely to take the Celtic job and I mentioned Bilic, she said "well, coming from Croatia, he'll surely be able to understand the Old Firm".

I think she's right too.

And when this ira folk blow up pizza delivery boys, then all pizza shops close?

We need Hearts minded players to play in the team!

They do also.

shaun.lawson
And when this ira folk blow up pizza delivery boys, then all pizza shops close?

We need Hearts minded players to play in the team!

They do also.

Pizza chains have no culpability at all when the IRA blows up a pizza delivery boy. Celtic and Rangers do have a certain degree of culpability for what happened this week: because both have traded on sectarianism for donkeys' years, and neither do anything like enough to stop their fans indulging in it.

southside1874
Pizza chains have no culpability at all when the IRA blows up a pizza delivery boy. Celtic and Rangers do have a certain degree of culpability for what happened this week: because both have traded on sectarianism for donkeys' years, and neither do anything like enough to stop their fans indulging in it.

These two have marketed themselves on sectarianism since they can remember. Only if that appeals to you will you follow. We all have hard times in our life and some folk have to blame whats making it hard.

You see, folk can have a laugh at each others expense. If your lifes not going well, you sometimes find it hard to take. No matter what team you support.

shaun.lawson
These two have marketed themselves on sectarianism since they can remember. Only if that appeals to you will you follow. We all have hard times in our life and some folk have to blame whats making it hard.

You see, folk can have a laugh at each others expense. If your lifes not going well, you sometimes find it hard to take. No matter what team you support.

Absolutely - but in the UK, these sorts of awful things only seem to happen when Rangers and Celtic 'fans' (who've probably never set foot in Glasgow in their entire lives) are involved. Rangers and Celtic have to take responsibility for horrific violence committed in their name.

southside1874
Absolutely - but in the UK, these sorts of awful things only seem to happen when Rangers and Celtic 'fans' (who've probably never set foot in Glasgow in their entire lives) are involved. Rangers and Celtic have to take responsibility for horrific violence committed in their name.

Rangers and Celtic are an excuse for the miserable hatred that some folk hide behind. No they may not help the matter, but if they did not exist, some folk would find another reason.

Scotland lived by the clan system, Britain become Great and ruled the world after Scotland and England joined forces, because of the nature of the Scot.

Inter clan fighting and hatred has been a hallmark of the Scots. Thats why we are so easily corrupted and a simple thing like two football teams can prevent an nation becoming "independent". Its so easy to divide the Scots.

Fozzyonthefence

Managing the OF has its attractions for some - but is also something of a nightmare. Half of Glasgow loves you (but only if you constantly get results, and not if you don't 'get' their club); the other half despises you.

Shaun, you're being really naive there - you think all the Rangers & Celtic fans come from Glasgow? Sounds like the comment an Englishman would make....

shaun.lawson
Shaun, you're being really naive there - you think all the Rangers & Celtic fans come from Glasgow? Sounds like the comment an Englishman would make....

Not at all. But Glasgow is full of both, and there's no escape from it for any manager. It's extremely rare in world football for the two clubs who are always numbers one and two season after season to hail from the same city: something which increases the pressure. It's a goldfish bowl to say the least.

Fozzyonthefence
Not at all. But Glasgow is full of both, and there's no escape from it for any manager. It's extremely rare in world football for the two clubs who are always numbers one and two season after season to hail from the same city: something which increases the pressure. It's a goldfish bowl to say the least.

Yes it is a goldfish bowl but the point I was trying to make, with the Scottish media, is it is not confined to Glasgow.

I don't have the facts re the 2 top teams from the same city debate but I'm thinking the top 2 in Greece & Turkey are always from the same city?

shaun.lawson
Yes it is a goldfish bowl but the point I was trying to make, with the Scottish media, is it is not confined to Glasgow.

I don't have the facts re the 2 top teams from the same city debate but I'm thinking the top 2 in Greece & Turkey are always from the same city?

Not exactly. Olympiakos, Greece's most successful club and Champions once again this season are from the port of Piraeus, a bit south-west of Athens; and at least there are three big clubs in Greece rather than two (Panathinaikos and AEK being the others). And in Turkey, three of the big four are from Istanbul, but the other - Trabzonspor - from a Black Sea port elsewhere. Meanwhile, little Sivasspor have joined the battle at the top over the last couple of seasons thanks to a wealthy benefactor.

Of course there are OF fans everywhere. But one city, still divided to some extent on religious lines, featuring two clubs aligned by that divide who are almost always the only two clubs contesting the title? It's almost unprecedented.

southside1874

Celtic and Rangers fans from Glasgow are not the problem. Glasgow has a larger population than Edinburgh. People in cities generally learn to live with each other. We find like minded folk and thats all we want. People from smaller towns around Glasgow seem to have problems integrating.

tartofmidlothian
Not exactly. Olympiakos, Greece's most successful club and Champions once again this season are from the port of Piraeus, a bit south-west of Athens

Apologies if my geography's a bit off, Shaun, but when I took the train from Athens to Piraeus, I got the impression that the difference between the two is pretty much the difference between Edinburgh and Leith? There's certainly no green between them.

jack D and coke
If I did what Coyle did in such a short time I'm not sure I would leave them for Hearts. Especially with Mad still around.

Exactly. Anyone who would leave the Premiership to manage Hearts would probably need sectioned under the mental health act. Sheesh are some folk for real?

shaun.lawson
Apologies if my geography's a bit off, Shaun, but when I took the train from Athens to Piraeus, I got the impression that the difference between the two is pretty much the difference between Edinburgh and Leith? There's certainly no green between them.

Wiki seemed to think it was seven miles? They play on the outskirts of the city, at least.

If you want to challenge yourself and your ability you do it at the best possible level, that isn't the SPL (unless you happen to be managing in the Scottish lower leagues).

Technicality I know but the Scottish lower leagues aren't in the SPL!!

But I agree why would you want to leave a secure job in the EPL to manage one of the ugly sisters, unless you are about to be sacked? Coyle does not fall into that category!

:10900:

Staying with Burnley was the smart move tbh, and not for the reasons mentioned above IMO.

He has just got a team promoted that have spent years in the lower leagues. In only his second season at the club, they have ascended to the richest league in the world. At the moment, all Burnley fans think he is god, all English fans look at the remarkable job and applaud his success and because of this he will be given a free pass this season. Any kind of performance will be excused.

He earned their promotion and should see it out for at least a year, knowing that irrespective of his performance this year, his stock will not drop.

If he had chosen to go to C*lt!c, he would have faced dissenting voices from his own. He is untried at the "top" level they would say, he has only managed Burnley ffs they would say. He would NEED to win the league, first time, to have any chance of survival in the job.

Stay at Burnley for a bit and move on to a bigger job in a few years, heck, it may still be C*lt!c that come calling.

Brick Tamland

Stuart McLaren - being banded about in the corridors of darkheid...

Not according to this site who tonight have announced Mowbray as manager from very good inside sources

The Celtic website Celtic Under Ground. have tonight claimed that Tony Mowbray has came to a verbal agreement with celtic last night which will see the former player appointed as our new manager in the coming week.

The website go on to say that lawyers were working on the details late into the night and a compensation package for WBA is currently being drawn up. A figure of around ?750,000 was being spoken of this afternoon.

FULL STORY

Archived