Age is no barrier to ability or ambition

Tazio

Davie Weir is carrying on his playing career at Rangers despite being 39.

Pep Guardiola is only 38 and leads out a team in the Champions League final tomorrow.

Guest juvehearts

youre point is......................?

youre as young as you feel

pep had a bad knee injury & is a mf dw is a dfc.

we all know mf is the engine of the team his career came to an abrupt end,

with the squad he has ill be dammed if they dont with the cl

shaun.lawson
Davie Weir is carrying on his playing career at Rangers despite being 39.

Pep Guardiola is only 38 and leads out a team in the Champions League final tomorrow.

Weir, of course, won his first league title ever at the weekend, having joined Rangers two seasons ago supposedly only as a stopgap. He's turned into quite a thug at times; but the memories of 1998 mean I'm still happy for him, and he's been an exemplary captain since taking over from Barry Ferguson.

Guardiola's success so far has been extraordinary: I thought appointing him was a huge gamble, but it's worked like a dream. Question is: can he somehow outwit the Master later today, or for that matter, will he even need to?

Mind you, both these stories pale in comparison with what's happening this weekend. The incomparable Paolo Maldini, surely the greatest left back in history, about whom barely any football fan anywhere (other than an astonishingly moronic group of Milan fans who shamed their club and disgusted Paolo last weekend) could have a bad word to say, whose longevity has been preposterous and elegance almost continuous, finally bows out aged 41 - after over 1000 games, and with European Cup medals won in three different decades. We'll never see his like again.

Pray silence for Il Capitano.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/22/paolo-maldini-ac-milan-retirement

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Weir, of course, won his first league title ever at the weekend, having joined Rangers two seasons ago supposedly only as a stopgap. He's turned into quite a thug at times; but the memories of 1998 mean I'm still happy for him, and he's been an exemplary captain since taking over from Barry Ferguson.

Guardiola's success so far has been extraordinary: I thought appointing him was a huge gamble, but it's worked like a dream. Question is: can he somehow outwit the Master later today, or for that matter, will he even need to?

Mind you, both these stories pale in comparison with what's happening this weekend. The incomparable Paolo Maldini, surely the greatest left back in history, about whom barely any football fan anywhere (other than an astonishingly moronic group of Milan fans who shamed their club and disgusted Paolo last weekend) could have a bad word to say, whose longevity has been preposterous and elegance almost continuous, finally bows out aged 41 - after over 1000 games, and with European Cup medals won in three different decades. We'll never see his like again.

Pray silence for Il Capitano.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/22/paolo-maldini-ac-milan-retirement

What happened at the weekend?

If I could be anyone in the world it might just be Maldini. A legend.

shaun.lawson

This happened:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/25/serieafootball-acmilan

Can you believe that? Of all the clubs and all the people it could've happened to... Our resident Inter fan must've ****ed himself laughing!

don't know what happened at the weekend but I remember growing up watching football italia and thinking how baresi and maldini made defending interesting, greatest all round defender ever bar none just a pity it never happened for him at international level

A mention for Stanley Matthews.

OK no European cups or even League Championship medals but he only played for Stoke City and Blackpool. He played on until he was 50 in the English top division and was playing in Malta at the age of 55.

Born in 1915, the second world war took out what should have been his prime (24 to 30).

He still made 709 Football League appearances, most of which were in Division One.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
This happened:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/may/25/serieafootball-acmilan

Can you believe that? Of all the clubs and all the people it could've happened to... Our resident Inter fan must've ****ed himself laughing!

That's mental, same day that Sami Hyypia got a brilliant reception at Anfield as well.

Seems as though he never really agreed with the fans though, strange one.

shaun.lawson
A mention for Stanley Matthews.

OK no European cups or even League Championship medals but he only played for Stoke City and Blackpool. He played on until he was 50 in the English top division and was playing in Malta at the age of 55.

Born in 1915, the second world war took out what should have been his prime (24 to 30).

He still made 709 Football League appearances, most of which were in Division One.

Fair shout. I think Matthews is probably the only Englishman who'd get into most people's top 10 players of all time around the world. Bobby Charlton would maybe just miss out; and Duncan Edwards surely would have made it had he not been so tragically cut down.

Mind you - poor Stan Mortensen. A hat trick in the Cup Final, yet it's known forever as the 'Matthews Final'? Talk about harsh!

shaun.lawson
don't know what happened at the weekend but I remember growing up watching football italia and thinking how baresi and maldini made defending interesting, greatest all round defender ever bar none just a pity it never happened for him at international level

I loved Football Italia. It was a vital part of my Saturday morning when I was growing up; and the first couple of seasons of it were just class. Milan 5-3 Lazio and Sampdoria 3-2 Milan (Samp inspired by Gullit, Lombardo, Mancini, and, er, David Platt) will always stick in my mind; and I adored the Lazio side which won the 2000 scudetto as well.

Thing is though, I watched Baresi play against Ireland in the 1990 World Cup quarter-finals. Players like Quinn, Aldridge and Cascarino alarmed him so much simply by getting in amongst them and never giving the hosts a moment's peace that I was never as sold on his greatness afterwards. Harsh, I know - but that's how I saw it.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Thats pretty low by some of his OWN fans , i am still amazed that the Champions League final is being held in Rome WTF is that all about? There has been nothing but trouble anytime a british team has played there but still they get to hold the finale.

It shows the gulp in respect between foreign fans for there football and british fans for there football , for me there is no comparison.

sorry its a bit off topic but i felt like a rant :2thumbsup:

Archived