Tunisia

Legend Claws

Legend Claws

Hello!

Thinking of heading to Tunisia for a week in September. Anyone been? Not really a fan of package holidays but it is a cheap way of doing things (especially all inclusive). Can anybody recommend a resort/hotel etc?

Thanks

Trout,

I've never been but my wife has, many times for work. The post cards are impressive but you'll definitley need a list of do's and dont's as you need to be street smart. Hit me a PM and with a clearer plan and I'll make sure you have the knowledge from a seasoned traveller before you head out.

Deodato

Hello!

Thinking of heading to Tunisia for a week in September. Anyone been? Not really a fan of package holidays but it is a cheap way of doing things (especially all inclusive). Can anybody recommend a resort/hotel etc?

Thanks

Say What Again
Hello!

Thanks

I've been 3 times mate, Hammamet, Yasmine Hammamet (purpose built holiday resort) and Port El Kantaoui. Of those 3, the best hotel I stayed in was the Royal Kenz in Port El Kantaoui.

I really enjoy the place - and you're almost always guaranteed the weather - but I did find myself getting a little bored when I was there the 3rd time as I'd did almost everything there is to do / see during my first 2 trips. Port El Kantaoui does have a really nice marina with lots of bars, restaurants and a fountain show at night.

If you do go, try and take in some of the places not the holiday resorts.

I'll post more info later

I was there last year with the gal friend. Stayed in port el kantaoui. Cant remember the hotel but we paid 250 each for the week and it was a cracking hotel. Its a great wee resort and less hassle from the locals than other towns. You do get hassle but its part of the fun trying to barter with the locals when your shopping to get the prices down. Also go on various trips booked through your hotel rather than locals. And i recommend the 2 day sahara adventure. If yi kin handle 2 days oan a bus.

Say What Again

Like Kev above, I'd also recommend the 2 day trip - though it may be a bit much if you're only planning on going for a week.

It didn't feel that long on the bus at all as you take in so many sights and have regular stops for lunch, drinks etc.

All of the places I can remember stopping off at on the trip were:

El Djem, the 2nd largest Roman amphitheatre in the world (nearly 40,000 I think) and where they filmed the dungeon scenes for Gladiator.

El%20Jem%20lower.JPG

dsc4009alrtf9.jpg

The ancient city of Carthage

Ruines_de_Carthage.jpg

The Picturesque village of Sidi Bou Said, where all the buildings are blue and white. I think they said it's the most painted village in the world.

SidiBouSaid.jpg

A trip through the mountains on the Red Lizard train

407-36%20Red%20Lizard%202_s.jpg

26532962ab2f025a0b6a8f9209f08736.jpg

Matmata, which doubled as Tatooine in Star Wars

Matmata-Troglodyte-Hotel.jpg

Thje Great Mosque at Sousse

great-mosque-kairouan-500.jpg

The coloured Salt Lakes and an Oasis

20.jpg

And a camel ride through the Sahara at sunset.

ngr57.jpg

I'd thoroughly recommend getting out and trying to see if the other sights mate and not just soak up the glorious weather by the pool.

Cracking pics. I never went oan the train through the mountains tho :( looks guid like. We just went up to the atlas mountains on 4x4 tae a gash bit where the english patient was filmed.

DarthVodka
I was there last year with the gal friend. Stayed in port el kantaoui. Cant remember the hotel but we paid 250 each for the week and it was a cracking hotel. Its a great wee resort and less hassle from the locals than other towns. You do get hassle but its part of the fun trying to barter with the locals when your shopping to get the prices down. Also go on various trips booked through your hotel rather than locals. And i recommend the 2 day sahara adventure. If yi kin handle 2 days oan a bus.

Feck me Kev - the perfect place for you, being able to barter prices down must have been your idea of heaven.

Went to Port El Kantaoui a few years ago for a cheeky spring week in the sun with the boys! Was a cracking week and cracking place! Don't know if i'd go for my main summer holiday but ideal for early in the year where all we wanted to do was chill with a beer and catch the sun! We paid about 400 quid for a week AI and more than got our moneys worth between the food and bevvy! As others have said you need to be a bit streetwise esp in the medina at sousse! 3 nights out of 7 we went to a club called Living in sousse was was cracking!

Done that trip as well it was fantastic, apart from the camel ride in the sahara, my wife was in front of me desperately holding on to the beast, i was ****ing myself behind until her camel let the biggest and smelliest fart going. It soon wiped the smile of my face.

You can get some decent clothes there to just be prepared to haggle, and if your partner/wife has blond hair some of the street sellers can get a bit carried away.

Like Kev above, I'd also recommend the 2 day trip - though it may be a bit much if you're only planning on going for a week.

It didn't feel that long on the bus at all as you take in so many sights and have regular stops for lunch, drinks etc.

All of the places I can remember stopping off at on the trip were:

El Djem, the 2nd largest Roman amphitheatre in the world (nearly 40,000 I think) and where they filmed the dungeon scenes for Gladiator.

El%20Jem%20lower.JPG

dsc4009alrtf9.jpg

The ancient city of Carthage

Ruines_de_Carthage.jpg

The Picturesque village of Sidi Bou Said, where all the buildings are blue and white. I think they said it's the most painted village in the world.

SidiBouSaid.jpg

A trip through the mountains on the Red Lizard train

407-36%20Red%20Lizard%202_s.jpg

26532962ab2f025a0b6a8f9209f08736.jpg

Matmata, which doubled as Tatooine in Star Wars

Matmata-Troglodyte-Hotel.jpg

Thje Great Mosque at Sousse

great-mosque-kairouan-500.jpg

The coloured Salt Lakes and an Oasis

20.jpg

And a camel ride through the Sahara at sunset.

ngr57.jpg

I'd thoroughly recommend getting out and trying to see if the other sights mate and not just soak up the glorious weather by the pool.

Been twice to Port El Kantaoui.

Great place , great weather , great banter !!

What more can I say ........... it was great !!

Legend Claws

So Port El Kantaoui is the best in the general consensus? Do you have to travel for hours to get to historical sites from there?

Archived