Time for a proper captain

DETTY29

Not the bawling, chest thumping type, but one who is prepared to communicate articulately with referees. There were 3 incidents yesterday that I believe Neilson should have been have had his arm round the ref, seeking some guidance on his decision making.

1) Nakamura's blatant falling over for the free kick in the first minute.

2) Hartley not getting booked for a studs in tackle shortly after Mrowiec had been booked.

3) The most ridiculous of all, giving Celtic a free kick and warning Wallace when Brown wents studs in then barged Wallace.

I know it's not possible to say something at the time of the incidents as you have to be prepared for the next stage of play, but during any injury breaks, or the walk up to the tunnel at half time.

Just an approach I think might help.

With tin hat firmly in place my nomination for captain would be none other that Mr David Obua. He looks like a natural leader to me and he would be a credit to the club.

Teuchterjambo
With tin hat firmly in place my nomination for captain would be none other that Mr David Obua. He looks like a natural leader to me and he would be a credit to the club.

It's not a tin hat you need it's a bomb shelter.

Actually if you really believe that I would suggest that some kind of counselling is in order because your wiring seems to have become tangled up somewhere !

All about opinion though and we are all entitled to a bit of insanity now and then - it's what keeps us sane !

Drylaw Hearts

Funniest post of the year.

:rofl:

:4_1_72: he's fortunate to be in the team imo

Stewart for captain.

We need a calm head as captain - not somebody who spends half is time mouthing off to refs. Look around the side and tell me who other than Obua is not likely to get himself banned on a regular basis.

The guy comes from a sporting background - his uncle won gold at the 1972 Olympics for the 400m hurdles and his father palyed for Uganda. Obua has captained his international side.

Csaba could do a lot worse than make him captain. It would not surprise me, given Csabas unorthodox ways, if he picked Obua.

heartsfc_fan
We need a calm head as captain - not somebody who spends half is time mouthing off to refs. Look around the side and tell me who other than Obua is not likely to get himself banned on a regular basis.

The guy comes from a sporting background - his uncle won gold at the 1972 Olympics for the 400m hurdles and his father palyed for Uganda. Obua has captained his international side.

Csaba could do a lot worse than make him captain. It would not surprise me, given Csabas unorthodox ways, if he picked Obua.

:rifle:

:hang:

:laugh:

It's got to be a centre back, and as we don't currently have any of those, looks like we need to buy a captain

while not agreeing with obua being made captain i do think its a good point that obua is one of the few players who seems to have a decent relationship with refs and can have a joke with them

Drylaw Hearts

Hilarious.

Guest gorgie kev

Aw jeez somebody is still reeking from last night or has just been released back into the community:2thumbsup:

Obua has played himself into the side on merit and has adjusted to the Scottish game pretty well. Give him a pre-season and we will see the best of him. Csaba obviously rates the lad.

He might not be a fashionable choice but look at another unorthodox manager who managed to win the European Cup twice with a so called provincial side and took another provincial side to a Eiropean Cup semi. Brian Clough was that man and his captain was an unfashionalbe midfielder called John McGovern who was a similar type of player to Obua - defensive midfield.

The lad is intelligent and can be Csaba's right hand man on the park.

peebles jambo
Stewart for captain.

would do for me, a jambo leading the jambos would be the right choice

cosanostra

Pretty much anyone apart from Michael Stewart.

Zaliukas or Jonsson would be my choice.

lambojambo
Not the bawling, chest thumping type, but one who is prepared to communicate articulately with referees. There were 3 incidents yesterday that I believe Neilson should have been have had his arm round the ref, seeking some guidance on his decision making.

Nope - that only works for SFA employees getting linesmen to change Hearts penalty decisions! :th_o:

what do you mean by ...............

I think it means, "Give it a rest ya nippy wee beebag."

But I'm not fluent in dot.

heartsfc_fan
I think it means, "Give it a rest ya nippy wee beebag."

But I'm not fluent in dot.

Along those lines :10900:

Tynecastle Valhalla

realistically, from the players we have it can only be from:

aguiar (if he stays)

ruben

wallace

zaliukus

stewart

elliot

looking at that list it has to be between wallace and stewart.

Hungry hippo
We need a calm head as captain - not somebody who spends half is time mouthing off to refs. Look around the side and tell me who other than Obua is not likely to get himself banned on a regular basis.QUOTE]

The fact that he doesn't get involved in too much messy stuff like tackling, which seems to be an inconvenience, is not a reason to be captain - if anything it should count against him.

A captain must lead by example and unfortunately smiling and not getting booked are not the type of leadership attributes any manager would be looking for.

He does come across as a decent, intelligent guy when interviewed but he needs to wake up if he's going to stay in the team next season. I'm far from being a GTFer of anyone and can see some good in Obua and believe can contribute to the side but he hasn't been doing it apart from 4 or 5 games games around February.

Read his comments in the 'papers yesterday about how Scottish fans don't look for skill and would prefer a player to kick someone. While I see where he is coming from on this one in general, I think he first needs to show a bit more skill in a game before he can use this as an excuse.

All too often play breaks down when it comes to Obua. I think he could be a decent player for us but he needs to start showing it next season - especially if he has ambitions to play in England as the Championship is at least as fast as the SPL.

AllowayJambo
realistically, from the players we have it can only be from:

aguiar (if he stays)

ruben

wallace

zaliukus

stewart

elliot

looking at that list it has to be between wallace and stewart.

Wallace is one of the quietest guys in the dressing room, can't see him being particularly vocal on the pitch.

Aguiar has gone (take my word for it)

Csaba said when he arrived he wanted to make Stewart captain after a month or two but he had Berra in place. Thought he might have taken over when he went but he gave it to Robbie.

Think MS will get it unless new signing!

Ruben for me. Unless we sign an experienced player who is either a) a jambo or B) respected in the game. Whilst Mikey Stewart is a jambo his temper is an issue. He needs to control it. Zaliukas has an even bigger temper issue tho!

_41513622_hart3ley300.jpg

It looks damn good on him, you must admit...

That's the Man for the Job Thommo!! :10900:

I don't think that is the worst idea in the world. 1 thing about Obua is he is constantly smiling. If there has been an incident and player's screaming at the ref etc. he is 1 player who won't get booked.....just because he smiles. He's just not a threatening character which is an asset imo.

I don't think that is the worst idea in the world. 1 thing about Obua is he is constantly smiling. If there has been an incident and player's screaming at the ref etc. he is 1 player who won't get booked.....just because he smiles. He's just not a threatening character which is an asset imo.

At last, another lateral thinker!

Ray Winstone

I don't think the captain for next season is at the club yet.

Whilst not entertaining Obua for captaincy, he is bloody good with refs.

In his first few games he was did some really late silly tackles and barely got warned because he was up straight away apologising to the player, shaking the refs hands, smiling away.

Hell - in the Dundee Utd game he grabbed the ref's head with both his hands and the ref loved it :D

boabyarsebiscuit

Based on the amount of times Michael Stewart came over to get input from Csaba Laszlo in the Technical area yesterday, I think Csaba's made his choice.

Charlie-Brown
Based on the amount of times Michael Stewart came over to get input from Csaba Laszlo in the Technical area yesterday, I think Csaba's made his choice.

This happened quite a lot all season boaby even when Berra & Neilson were captain.

Hell - in the Dundee Utd game he grabbed the ref's head with both his hands and the ref loved it :D

that was the thing I was thinking of when I first posted, I could not imagine anybody else doing that wearing a Hearts top and not get at least a yellow

For me it has to be Stewart he shows his commitment and desire everytime he pulls on the famous maroon shirt he knows what it means to play for Heart of Midlothian football club if he can keep his cool during matches he will be a great leader for the team and iam sure it will be a dream come trure for him being captain for the team you support

Whilst not entertaining Obua for captaincy, he is bloody good with refs.

In his first few games he was did some really late silly tackles and barely got warned because he was up straight away apologising to the player, shaking the refs hands, smiling away.

i remember thinking "i hope big zal aint watching that! that would be a 10 game ban for him!"

i like the idea of bringing hartley back as captain, as i dont think anyone at the club has all the characteristics required...

Mac_fae_Gillie

Stewart by a mile...

never had said that a few months ago.

See him getting a grip of Wallace? after the calders incident.

Could even make the player of Stewart we know exists as most players give more as Capt.

Stewart by a mile...

never had said that a few months ago.

See him getting a grip of Wallace? after the calders incident.

Could even make the player of Stewart we know exists as most players give more as Capt.

Stewart's passion cannot be denied but unfortunately that is also his Achilles' heel - he's always one step away from a yellow card whether it's for an over zealous tackle or arguing the toss with the ref. I can see him havin to pull off the arm band on a regular basis.

Whether it's deserved or not our club has a disciplinary problem. The first step along the way to correcting that is to appoint an cool head as skipper.

On the other hand the captaincy might calm him down a bit - who knows?

Robbo27_22
Stewart's passion cannot be denied but unfortunately that is also his Achilles' heel - he's always one step away from a yellow card whether it's for an over zealous tackle or arguing the toss with the ref. I can see him havin to pull off the arm band on a regular basis.

Whether it's deserved or not our club has a disciplinary problem. The first step along the way to correcting that is to appoint an cool head as skipper.

On the other hand the captaincy might calm him down a bit - who knows?

I didn't read the report at the weekend but apparently, Obua didn't expect to have to fight for his football when he arrived at the club and all he really wants is the ball to his feet every time. He also went on to say that he has comprimised his principles to play football in this country.

Does this sound like a leader to you?

Personally, I wouldn't let him pull on a shirt again. He's had plenty of ball to feet and still managed to do the sum total of **** all with it.

Not Mikey Stewart. He puts himself under enough pressure without that.

Not Lee Wallace cos doesn't talk never mind shout - and he might be in jail.

Not Obua. He must get his own game sorted before telling team mates what to do. (I agree his relationship with refs is good but that ain't the only criterion for captain)

Not Zal cos he's in trouble too often.

In fact I can't see captain material in any of them. Hartley would be a good shout if he came back.

I didn't read the report at the weekend but apparently, Obua didn't expect to have to fight for his football when he arrived at the club and all he really wants is the ball to his feet every time. He also went on to say that he has comprimised his principles to play football in this country.

Does this sound like a leader to you?

Personally, I wouldn't let him pull on a shirt again. He's had plenty of ball to feet and still managed to do the sum total of **** all with it.

It sounds like you see what you want to see in the lad. He has been 'man of the match' on at least one occasion and has had improving performances over the season after recovering from injury.

Adjusting his game to suit the type of game played in Scotland is a professional thing for him to do - harldy 'compromising his principles' as you put it. He wins just about every ball in 50/50 challenges which I would suggest is a bonus given that the ball is in the air about 90% of the time in our game.

Archived