Hearts European style football?

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

After Calderwood's mindless rant about us going up to their place and grinding out a 0-0 and criticising(?) us for playing a European style game of time wasting and keeping possession. Then following it up with a contained performance against the tics today does anyone else feel we have a style that would be really effective in Europe, especially away from home?

Obviously we will be missing some of our currently most effective players next season but who knows we may get other decent guys in. I think Mrowiec has been really effective in the last few games at protecting the back 4 and I also think Jonsson can back him up if we get another centre half in to replace Karapidis. We could probably use a nippy wee guy up front to catch teams on the break, maybe Templeton can grow into that role.

Anyway I am optimistic that with a decent draw in the qualifiers we will do well next year and I will get more than 1 away trip.

shaun.lawson

Yes, undoubtedly. Hearts 08/9 = the most streetwise, savvy and dare I say it, cunning non-OF side in many years. It bodes extremely well for our chances in Europe.

Romanov Stole My Pension

What exactly is European style football? And do we really play like that?

Not sure, I think it means caution first, unless you are Man Utd, Barcelona or Arsenal.

The result matters at all costs, 10 men behind the ball and a breakaway goal. Rangers done it last year and it was relatively successful.

guys, don't kid yourselves on about today, hearts invited a severe pounding on themselves with an inability to retain the ball. it was only on the odd ocassion that we strung a few passes together.

i'm not all that proud of the way hearts played. they made it difficult for celtic to break down but it's not likely to produce a win, especially when celtic are playing full pelt.

Randle P McMurphy

Well more accurately, a style of play that would do well in the Europa League. What I mean by that is we play a possession game with normally one up front, capable of soaking up pressure and hitting quickly on the break (obviously the hitting on the break bit needs work). Or grinding out 0-0s away from home by frustrating the opposition.

Even the last rankers away game we had more than 50% possession, admittedly we lost 2 goals. However maintaining that level of possession away from home restricts the amount of chances the home side is likely to have and encourages them to push extra men forward which is when we could hit them on the break.

When I think to previous European adventures, yes we have had some decent performances and results but this was usually with a backs to the wall performance. I think this team has more about it to pass their way out of trouble, keep the ball, take the cheap foul etc.

Archived