Time For change

GorgieHearts

Do youngsters still play in full size goals and pitch.

All football should be played in the summer. nothing better going end/start of the season with t shirt and a few beers outside before after the game.

Youth football should certainly be played in the summer. Kids will enjoy it more, play on better pitches and have the chance to pass the ball and dribble. More kids will get into the game. Can remember standing in goals as the rain poured down and the wind howled across Inverleith Park watching the action a long long way away at the bottom of the slope. Also think social summer leagues should be introduced for adults to get more people back into the game.

jamboinglasgow

good idea, I have suggested there that during the winter months there should be indoor football competions or Futsal as it is known. This would develop the young players skill and technique and would ignore strength. Thus they develop well, the brazilian youth system and also Italian and Spanish ones swear by this.

I dont see the point because kids dont get to play much in winter, if you look at the team I take they have only played 2 games since November and we have 2 finals next month it does not give us much of a chance to prepare the kids for them...

For years now the SFA/SYFA have had there own way I think its time we all stood up and get them to change this...

I dont see the point because kids dont get to play much in winter, if you look at the team I take they have only played 2 games since November and we have 2 finals next month it does not give us much of a chance to prepare the kids for them...

For years now the SFA/SYFA have had there own way I think its time we all stood up and get them to change this...

Youth football has always had this problem.Waterlogged frozen pitches and few games played.And those that are played often take place in terrible conditions.The lack of decent changing facilities only makes things even worse.We like our youngsters tough,rolling in the mud and playing hoofball to get a result.Our wee goalies have to be especially hardy and more especially if you are in a good team.

We suffer from the "will there be game or wont there?"syndrome.

The clubs end up cramming their fixtures into March and April and often dont complete their fixtures.

Then there is the coaching which is also often cancelled and there is the new astro turf pitches at schools.They also fall foul of the weather and close down during school holidays.

What is the reasoning behind not having a winter shut down at youth level?

Guest JamboRobbo
sorry dont get you

Just wasn't worth arguing over.

I think summer football would be worse. You don't. Thats fair enough.

I coach an under 19s team in an SAYFL league in Glasgow, they also have an under 17s league. it runs from August through to May, and then they have summer tournaments available also. I'm confused by the November to February bit... can someone explain?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Totally agree although it could be a bit of a problem as kids have holidays all through the summer.

Don't think this will make one bit of difference to be honest.

The campaign Ian Mackay led to try and get better facilities turned into a right shambles and it showed that no-one gives a feck about youth football.

Totally agree although it could be a bit of a problem as kids have holidays all through the summer.

The campaign Ian Mackay led to try and get better facilities turned into a right shambles and it showed that no-one gives a feck about youth football.

Well this is our chance to get it changed kids are not getting the full benefit of football in the winter.

It would be a result for me if the SFA or SYFA even picked a region and gave this a test run.

If it fails then good we have tried but we need to try thing out first.

Do youngsters still play in full size goals and pitch.

All football should be played in the summer. nothing better going end/start of the season with t shirt and a few beers outside before after the game.

From the age of 12 they play on 11 a side pitch with 11 a side goals..

blondejamtart

I'm fully behind you, Gorgie Hearts. My son is a goalkeeper for an u13 team, and they've had numerous games called off since before Christmas because pitches were either frozen, waterlogged or whatever. Apart from that, the state of the pitches in general is shocking - don't even get me started on the dog fouling issue! - and as for many of the changing facilities, they're so bad it's beyond belief. And before anyone starts, I'm not having a go at the folk who run the clubs - they've got my full admiration for trying to do something positive for the youngsters who want to play football. I know some efforts have been made in some areas to improve facilities, and we do have some all-weather pitches etc in this area, but they can be very expensive for the clubs to hire out. We should be doing all we can to encourage kids to play sports, and let's face it, how can we ever expect to find top players for the future if we don't pour money into the sport at the very grassroots level?

Phew, ok....rant over for now!

Just wasn't worth arguing over.

I think summer football would be worse. You don't. Thats fair enough.

Spose they could always wear trainers or mouldies in the summer but I must admit, being a defender when I was younger I liked the wet. Not so much the frost etc tho!! :(

I think it would be good overall to have summer football, far more football would be played IMO.

I play sudnay pub football these days and weve missed 6 games over the winter period. I believe a winter shutdown should happen every season at all levels. We dont live in a warm or even semi-warm climate at the end of the day.

Used to enjoy playing winter football. Summer the ground is too hard and there's not enough grass on the pitch.

it's quite hard in the winter as well...so hard in fact that many games are postponed:sad:

disagree.... many pavilions that were in a shocking state of repair and maintenance were repainted, made water tight etc.The campaign worked of course 'cos there were elections due....what'll happen now may be a different story :) ps I'm also miffed about Tynie trying to take over the Gyle recreation park when they already play at Saughton

disagree.... many pavilions that were in a shocking state of repair and maintenance were repainted, made water tight etc.The campaign worked of course 'cos there were elections due....what'll happen now may be a different story :) ps I'm also miffed about Tynie trying to take over the Gyle recreation park when they already play at Saughton

Yes its shocking what Tynie have done, and also they will have first say over the new 3g pitch at Saughton.

The old Reporter guy has even given up his job as reporter due to all this.

Thats another blow to youth football no one to cover games...

Youth football in Scotland needs to move forward and summer football is the way forward.

Randle P McMurphy

In my eyes the problem is not the seasons that the kids play football in but the facilities that are available, especially in Edinburgh. To put the facilities in context they are training, playing and getting changed in the equivalent to 70's Tynie to the modern day stadium. I am talking about virtually every amateur club in Edinburgh from Hutchie Vale to the lowest fourth division teams.

If they are lucky they have some affiliation with a school and have the use of their facilities during the school terms. The majority however have a wooden hut or nowhere at all and scratch around for pitches to train and play on. Meanwhile the professional clubs cherry pick the best players to put on their initiative schemes and drop the majority within 2 years with boys often giving up the game when dropped.

That these amateur clubs survive is a tribute to the unpaid effort and dedication of coaches,parents and sponsors. The number of professional players that have been given a football education by teams like Hutchie Vale and have given nothing back is an embarassment to their trade.

I know land is at a premium in Edinburgh but there are existing parks that with a bit of investment could have proper changing rooms and all weather pitches installed and where the boys could develop proper control and technique. I feel your petition would be better served in forcing the SFA/ Councils to invest in facilities for the proper grass roots of football, the amateur teams.

PresidentRomanov

My sons team has only had one game called off this season, so I don't really see the point in summer football.

Unless you want to play five a sides, because everyone's away on holiday.

jamboinglasgow
In my eyes the problem is not the seasons that the kids play football in but the facilities that are available, especially in Edinburgh. To put the facilities in context they are training, playing and getting changed in the equivalent to 70's Tynie to the modern day stadium. I am talking about virtually every amateur club in Edinburgh from Hutchie Vale to the lowest fourth division teams.

If they are lucky they have some affiliation with a school and have the use of their facilities during the school terms. The majority however have a wooden hut or nowhere at all and scratch around for pitches to train and play on. Meanwhile the professional clubs cherry pick the best players to put on their initiative schemes and drop the majority within 2 years with boys often giving up the game when dropped.

That these amateur clubs survive is a tribute to the unpaid effort and dedication of coaches,parents and sponsors. The number of professional players that have been given a football education by teams like Hutchie Vale and have given nothing back is an embarassment to their trade.

I know land is at a premium in Edinburgh but there are existing parks that with a bit of investment could have proper changing rooms and all weather pitches installed and where the boys could develop proper control and technique. I feel your petition would be better served in forcing the SFA/ Councils to invest in facilities for the proper grass roots of football, the amateur teams.

I went to a private school in Edinburgh where we were fortunte enough to have our own playing fields and decent changing rooms. I played rugby on those pitches for many years. At the school, in the last two years you could do football which I took, this took place at inverleith park and the differences in quality of pitches and changing rooms was apparnt, though I feel from things I hear that Inverleiths changing rooms are better then most.

I think there needs to be a larger investment in Scotland in terms of quality playing fields, this would help keep obesity down and thus save money in what it would of cost the NHS. I know it is harder now to build pitches as it requires buildings to be knocked down in an already crowded city. It could be an idea to build one or two massive football complexs on the outskirts of city, i.e. have a place that has at least 10 pitches (maybe 6 full size and 4 smaller ones) with a central main building with prehaps an indoor pitch. I know this wont be cheap but if they could get wealthy backers then it could be possible.

That is not to say current parks shouldn't be upgraded, they should plus legistartion should go through the parliment safe guarding them from being built on except for changing rooms and pitches.

Scotland needs to act now before we lose our facilties.

As someone who has been involved in youth football for several years, I?d suggest that this petition is the wrong way to go about effecting change.

Presumably 'Gorgie Hearts' are affiliated to the SYFA and to the South East Region YFA? If so these are the channels that change should be campaigned for, through. The ?Unite the Clubs? movement did achieve success in securing more council funding, but they did so, by presenting a united, uniform view on behalf of all clubs. Clubs cannot and should not ?go it alone? with petitions and the like.

What we appear to have here is a petition started by one guy from one club who states ?All that is happening in most Youth Leagues is that all the games are being crammed in over 2 - 3 months?, and that?s simply not true. We are not informed who is behind the petition and what support, if any it has from member clubs. Neither are we informed where the petition will be sent on completion.

Before I, or my club would consider supporting this, I?d expect a full discussion/debate and analysis on the practicalities or otherwise of the proposal:

• Have other clubs been consulted?
  • What do the other clubs want?
  • Have they discussed the proposal at their league meeting, if so what was agreed?
  • What is the council?s view on pitch availability?
  • If we play football on pitches from 1 March to 31 October (excluding July) when will the pitches be allowed to grow?
  • What will the availability of referees be like ? have we assessed this, or just assume it will be ok?

I?ve no doubt that Gorgie Hearts is well intended in posting this, and there may be a valid argument for summer football for the kids, however it appears to be that there is much to consider and evaluate before we sign an online petition started by who knows who, and intended for who knows where?

John S

This was not setup by Gorgie Hearts its from another forum I copied and pasted onto here.

But I am all for the summer football.

As someone who has been involved in youth football for several years, I?d suggest that this petition is the wrong way to go about effecting change.

Presumably 'Gorgie Hearts' are affiliated to the SYFA and to the South East Region YFA? If so these are the channels that change should be campaigned for, through. The ?Unite the Clubs? movement did achieve success in securing more council funding, but they did so, by presenting a united, uniform view on behalf of all clubs. Clubs cannot and should not ?go it alone? with petitions and the like.

What we appear to have here is a petition started by one guy from one club who states ?All that is happening in most Youth Leagues is that all the games are being crammed in over 2 - 3 months?, and that?s simply not true. We are not informed who is behind the petition and what support, if any it has from member clubs. Neither are we informed where the petition will be sent on completion.

Before I, or my club would consider supporting this, I?d expect a full discussion/debate and analysis on the practicalities or otherwise of the proposal:

• Have other clubs been consulted?
  • What do the other clubs want?
  • Have they discussed the proposal at their league meeting, if so what was agreed?
  • What is the council?s view on pitch availability?
  • If we play football on pitches from 1 March to 31 October (excluding July) when will the pitches be allowed to grow?
  • What will the availability of referees be like ? have we assessed this, or just assume it will be ok?

I?ve no doubt that Gorgie Hearts is well intended in posting this, and there may be a valid argument for summer football for the kids, however it appears to be that there is much to consider and evaluate before we sign an online petition started by who knows who, and intended for who knows where?

John S

All that with bells on!!!

I would prefer a shutdown for a month or so in the winter rather than playing summer football. Weather is to hot for the kids to play, Grass is not he best and the ground hard. Also a lot of kids are on holiday so you could end up with missing key players over several weeks.

Winter shutdown yes, summer football no thanks.

I coach an under 19s team in an SAYFL league in Glasgow, they also have an under 17s league. it runs from August through to May, and then they have summer tournaments available also. I'm confused by the November to February bit... can someone explain?

most of the football i've been involved in played from late august till early june which worked out well with most holidays taken over july and august. during the school holidays many kids play football with their mates. nothing better than a game of football played on a bright winters day and learning to play in all conditions makes our youths better players. what is this thread all about.......have we all gone soft, :)

most of the football i've been involved in played from late august till early june which worked out well with most holidays taken over july and august. during the school holidays many kids play football with their mates. nothing better than a game of football played on a bright winters day and learning to play in all conditions makes our youths better players. what is this thread all about.......have we all gone soft, :)

I don't think its a matter of gone soft, from my experience boys clubs don't have a lot of money and it does cost to phone refs players and other teams when game are called of every week for almost 2 months and the fact that I don't think its good to have kids playing in the frozen cold plus if it was summer game you would get more people to turn out and watch it.

I think that even the SFA should pick one of the regions and get them to give it a trial run...

My sons team has only had one game called off this season, so I don't really see the point in summer football.

Unless you want to play five a sides, because everyone's away on holiday.

Mass exodus from Scotland to the Costa's:ip: at the same time, nah...not no more!

I agree with your post and support any move to promote summer football. However the SFA for about 6 years now through their development officers and regional managers have been trying to encourage local youth associations to change to summer football. The fact is it is the SYFA who administrate the leagues through David Little at Hampden and those are the guys you need to convince along with other youth football leaders. The SFA tried to offer development leagues which have proved really successful in Fife with free coach ed courses, funding for goals, etc, etc.

Go to http://www.footballcentral.org and click on south east where all the local development officers are listed. I guarantee you that everyone of them would support your viewpoint for summer games.

As for the point some have made about no grass left in the summer on pitches, this wouldn't be a problem if we didn't ruin it in the winter in the first place.

I agree with your post and support any move to promote summer football. However the SFA for about 6 years now through their development officers and regional managers have been trying to encourage local youth associations to change to summer football. The fact is it is the SYFA who administrate the leagues through David Little at Hampden and those are the guys you need to convince along with other youth football leaders. The SFA tried to offer development leagues which have proved really successful in Fife with free coach ed courses, funding for goals, etc, etc.

Go to http://www.footballcentral.org and click on south east where all the local development officers are listed. I guarantee you that everyone of them would support your viewpoint for summer games.

As for the point some have made about no grass left in the summer on pitches, this wouldn't be a problem if we didn't ruin it in the winter in the first place.

Well said bud....

• 1 month later...

Archived