Vote BNP!!

Daydream Believer

Baird, King and Michael
The reason why parties are centrist and there seems little to choose between them is because the electorate have proved over and over again that we want it that way!

Hi Shaun,

I know what you are trying to say here but there is evidence that suggests otherwise.

Old Labour did not move to the centre in its journey to New Labour?it moved very much to the right especially on economic and foreign policy. Little wonder then that when Thatcher was asked what was her greatest achievement she answered New Labour!

On almost every one of the main political issues the public are to the left of the political consensus. (Especially here in Scotland.) On issues like the war in Iraq, pay levels for the top bankers, privatisation and public ownership, the NHS and now on expenses and corruption the main parties do not represent the views of the majority.

None of the major political parties have alternative economic strategies yet we see increasing levels of poverty and deprivation, unemployment and the gap between rich and poor continues to rise whilst the world economic system is in crisis.

This manifests itself not in increased support for those parties at the centre but in terms of voter disengagement, apathy, contempt and record abstention levels at all layers of the democratic process.

It also unfortunately can lead to an increase in votes for a fascist party like the BNP. (And behind that soft cuddly ?British Jobs for British workers exterior?they are a fascist party.)

This of course does not mean that everyone who votes BNP is a nazi or even a racist. Many of the people who have voted BNP in record numbers in England and Wales recently have done so because they feel abandoned, betrayed and forgotten by the mainstream parties. They see in the BNP a party that stands up for ?them? and their communities unlike the raft of identikit politicians from the big 3 parties.

I fear we are entering a dangerous period in British politics.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Chimp
Hi Shaun,

I know what you are trying to say here but there is evidence that suggests otherwise.

Old Labour did not move to the centre in its journey to New Labour?it moved very much to the right especially on economic and foreign policy. Little wonder then that when Thatcher was asked what was her greatest achievement she answered New Labour!

On almost every one of the main political issues the public are to the left of the political consensus. (Especially here in Scotland.) On issues like the war in Iraq, pay levels for the top bankers, privatisation and public ownership, the NHS and now on expenses and corruption the main parties do not represent the views of the majority.

None of the major political parties have alternative economic strategies yet we see increasing levels of poverty and deprivation, unemployment and the gap between rich and poor continues to rise whilst the world economic system is in crisis.

This manifests itself not in increased support for those parties at the centre but in terms of voter disengagement, apathy, contempt and record abstention levels at all layers of the democratic process.

It also unfortunately can lead to an increase in votes for a fascist party like the BNP. (And behind that soft cuddly ?British Jobs for British workers exterior?they are a fascist party.)

This of course does not mean that everyone who votes BNP is a nazi or even a racist. Many of the people who have voted BNP in record numbers in England and Wales recently have done so because they feel abandoned, betrayed and forgotten by the mainstream parties. They see in the BNP a party that stands up for ?them? and their communities unlike the raft of identikit politicians from the big 3 parties.

Some good points. You should post more often.

The thirties were certainly a time when there were extreme views of left and right at the very forefront of daily life. Views and political opinions which would make today's right and left wing politics seem tame by comparison.

I'm looking forward to reading Richard Overy's new book on these sorts of issues.

maroonlegions

Just been going through my mail i got shortly ago and in amongst it were various political party June the 4th election leaflets.I was at the time needing a skin diver so took the various leaflets up to the toilet.:1092:I then came across a BNP leaflet amongst the leaflets, i had then done the skin diver and realised that i was out of bog roll ..........................................

:1092::deal2::10900:

maroonlegions

Hi dude, just picking up on a few of your points here although i do agree and see were you are coming from.

"It also unfortunately can lead to an increase in votes for a fascist party like the BNP. (And behind that soft cuddly ?British Jobs for British workers exterior?they are a fascist party".):2thumbsup:

"This of course does not mean that everyone who votes BNP is a nazi or even a racist. Many of the people who have voted BNP in record numbers in England and Wales recently have done so because they feel abandoned, betrayed and forgotten by the mainstream parties. They see in the BNP a party that stands up for ?them? and their communities unlike the raft of identikit politicians from the big 3 parties."

(The points i was trying to highlight on about the dangers of the BNP exploiting and manipulating. People can be easily manipulated and exploited , do people who have or are voting for them for the reasons above need to be reminded that this is so much more than feelings of betrayal,abandonment and a party that "stands up for them"??, Not having a go at you here and you make very good points on your above quotes but i feel the BNP could now be looking at manipulating excuses for their fascist views and beliefs.You are right though it is a very dangerous period in British politics, just like pre-Nazi Germany).

I fear we are entering a dangerous period in British politics.(Ripe for manipulation and opportunities for the far right extremists??).

Why not take away the reason for their existance in Scotland, and solve the problem simply. Would the BNP waste their resources in an independent Scotland? Around Ibrox possibly, but otherwise, unlikely. I doubt this thread would be as long if we were talking about extremist parties in Italy, Belgium or France; so marginalise them to their English heartlands and let's concentrate on making Scotland an inclusive, socially just society.

I agree with you re Cormack but used it as an example of how little the BUF impacted on what may be perceived as their "natural constituents".

I'm still sure that I saw Cormack at the Mound on a Sunday in the late sixties along with various members of the NF, when "speakers corner" was on the go. He was doing his usual anti catholic diatribes. He was pretty regularly at this well into the seventies when the Mound and Speakers Corner fell out of fashion. I've also got a feeling that you may find that Cormack was interned in 1939, as being a possible pro Nazi when the war broke out because of his links with the BUF.

Colonel Kurtz
yet it had zero electoral success. The British public rejected them.

But newspapers had headlines "hoorah for the Brown shirts".

There was also a motion to the General assembly supported by a government minister calling for compulsory Irish repatriation

maroonlegions
Why not take away the reason for their existence in Scotland, and solve the problem simply. Would the BNP waste their resources in an independent Scotland? Around Ibrox possibly, but otherwise, unlikely. I doubt this thread would be as long if we were talking about extremist parties in Italy, Belgium or France; so marginalise them to their English heartlands and let's concentrate on making Scotland an inclusive, socially just society.

Well ,i think any just non -violent reasons to take away their fascist British political views from Britain as a hole is worth commenting on. They might go into hiding if say Scotland ended up as a inclusive, socially just society. They would not altogether disappear from Scotland if the latter was achieved. Parties like them in all other European countries are to me also worth commenting on. They all share their common goal of white supremacy in their countries and fascism is their main sameness and likeness.Of course this thread is long because it raises natural and understandable concerns about the possibility of more in roads for the BNP in Scottish politics.The gains and the possibility of more in England sound like a warning sign to us up here.

Boab Mugabe
Just been going through my mail i got shortly ago and in amongst it were various political party June the 4th election leaflets.I was at the time needing a skin diver so took the various leaflets up to the toilet.:1092:I then came across a BNP leaflet amongst the leaflets, i had then done the skin diver and realised that i was out of bog roll ..........................................

Wouldn't the BNP leaflet have a gloss finish though? Can't imagine cleaning up after yourself being the most pleasant of experiences.

maroonlegions
I'm still sure that I saw Cormack at the Mound on a Sunday in the late sixties along with various members of the NF, when "speakers corner" was on the go. He was doing his usual anti catholic diatribes. He was pretty regularly at this well into the seventies when the Mound and Speakers Corner fell out of fashion. I've also got a feeling that you may find that Cormack was interned in 1939, as being a possible pro Nazi when the war broke out because of his links with the BUF.

I remember my dad talking about that speakers corner and the NF were always present in some way or another , you could also be right about Cormacks links and his pro-nazi allegiances and views.

maroonlegions
Wouldn't the BNP leaflet have a gloss finish though? Can't imagine cleaning up after yourself being the most pleasant of experiences.

You are right about the glossy finish but the cleaning up and unpleasant experience was worth it and rectified by the nice shower that followed.:10900:Just waiting on the delivery of the Evening Hobo , the spread on last nights East of Scotland match news report could suffer the same fate.:10900:

In a democracy, people can vote for whoever they want and for whatever reason they want. Without that right, we don't have a democracy.

A democracy basically means that any two stupid people will always have more power than any one intelligent person.

Is this really a good thing? :th_o:

maroonlegions

Thursday, 21 May 2009

The Family Wreckers

'Social workers were under fire last night after a report revealed they were breaking up foster families because the parents were the wrong colour. It said official attempts to take mixed-race and black children away from white foster parents are heard 'regularly' in the family courts.'

Read more...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1184595/The-family-wreckers-Social-workers-attacked-race-rules-rob-foster-children-caring-home.html

This is an interesting article.

Ossory_Jambo
Why not take away the reason for their existance in Scotland, and solve the problem simply. Would the BNP waste their resources in an independent Scotland? Around Ibrox possibly, but otherwise, unlikely. I doubt this thread would be as long if we were talking about extremist parties in Italy, Belgium or France; so marginalise them to their English heartlands and let's concentrate on making Scotland an inclusive, socially just society.

Better still, when it comes to negotiating the Scottish Independence settlement with the Westminster Government, can we not reach an agreement to create a second 'Isle of Man' split it into North and South and kindly ask the institutions that are GCFC and GRFC (the Old Firm) to move to new premises, taking their respective tribes with them, they would then be free to 'peddle their wares' to any league that would be mad enough to have them!

shaun.lawson
Hi Shaun,

Old Labour did not move to the centre in its journey to New Labour…it moved very much to the right especially on economic and foreign policy. Little wonder then that when Thatcher was asked what was her greatest achievement she answered New Labour!

It also unfortunately can lead to an increase in votes for a fascist party like the BNP. (And behind that soft cuddly “British Jobs for British workers exterior…they are a fascist party.)

This of course does not mean that everyone who votes BNP is a nazi or even a racist. Many of the people who have voted BNP in record numbers in England and Wales recently have done so because they feel abandoned, betrayed and forgotten by the mainstream parties. They see in the BNP a party that stands up for “them” and their communities unlike the raft of identikit politicians from the big 3 parties.

Interesting post, BKM - but I disagree in a number of areas. Old Labour had to move to the right to get to the centre in the first place, where it arrived under John Smith, but then went even further under Tony Blair. Did they have to do this? No - but I don't think they'd have achieved anything like such a huge majority in 1997 if they hadn't, and their chances of three terms in office would've been a lot less. And just as Thatcher's greatest achievement was New Labour, so New Labour's greatest achievement has been David Cameron: both of which happened because of how the electorate voted again and again.

You could certainly argue that under PR, we'd have much more of a centre-left consensus than we currently do. After all, only 43% of the electorate voted Tory in 1992, only 44% voted Labour in 1997. But the way our system works, both parties only achieved such figures because at the time, both were seen as centrist and credible. Labour offered a left wing strategy in 1992, and lost heavily. I wish the electorate was to the left of the centre of gravity - but it isn't I'm afraid.

The amount of spending on public services since 2001 has been enormous, and government has got bigger and bigger. I don't hear many people arguing for higher taxes or even bigger government now, do you? Iraq, meanwhile, was a left wing war, albeit opposed by most left wingers and supported by most right wingers; because it's the left who'd argued in favour of interventionist wars against murderous tyrants for many years prior to 2003. It's also the case that, until very recently, it'd have been impossible for the Tories to credibly argue in favour of cuts in spending and be able to win; that was Blair's real achievement. He shifted the debate on tax and spend completely.

I agree we're entering a dangerous time in terms of extremism, but am not that worried, mainly for the reasons Boris has provided. And I wholeheartedly agree that no party seems to offer any real alternative to the neo-liberal consensus partly responsible for getting us into this mess; but that's because it's almost impossible to do so. The whole of the West has moved rightwards over the last 20 or 30 years - and bucking that trend is incredibly difficult given the way capitalism seems to work.

maroonlegions

My wife is a MOD on a certain web site that caters for mums of twins and is huge in its membership.It covers a wide range of subscribed members from London to Aberdeen.She has been noticing over the past couple of days that most people/mums that have posted on various threads about the BNP election leaflets have said they are sending them back to the BNP or are just simply disgusted and not happy that they got their leaflet through their door.:10900:

maroonlegions
Better still, when it comes to negotiating the Scottish Independence settlement with the Westminster Government, can we not reach an agreement to create a second 'Isle of Man' split it into North and South and kindly ask the institutions that are GCFC and GRFC (the Old Firm) to move to new premises, taking their respective tribes with them, they would then be free to 'peddle their wares' to any league that would be mad enough to have them!

Rangers to England ,Celtic to Ireland.:10900:, sorted.

Ossory_Jambo

Not sure that England and Ireland would want them either. Naming the 'new' Island would certainly be interesting,

Not sure that England and Ireland would want them either. Naming the 'new' Island would certainly be interesting,

Isle of ^^^^s?

Maybe just my memory playing tricks - but I always thought that Cormack had pro BUF views. In any case Cormack is hardly someone that anyone with any knowledge of Edinburgh in the 1930's would view as being a shining light of moderation. Indeed he's really a stain on the reputation of Edinburgh as being a home for religious toleration. Many people from a generation just older than mine were disgusted by the mob attacks on bus loads of catholic children attending a religious festival at Waverley Market, egged on by Cormacks anti papist oratory.

The thirties were certainly a time when there were extreme views of left and right at the very forefront of daily life. Views and political opinions which would make today's right and left wing politics seem tame by comparison.

I remember my dad talking about that speakers corner and the NF were always present in some way or another , you could also be right about Cormacks links and his pro-nazi allegiances and views.

Cormack was a nutbar and may well have been associated with the NF in the 60's/70's, however the piece I read in a book about Cormack & Protestant Action (the name of the book eludes me) has been back up by this website

from:http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/redclyde/redclyeve23.htm

Scotland in the 1920s and 1930s proved to be barren ground for the advancement of fascism. The BUF attempted to establish a presence in the central belt of Scotland but with little success. Apart from a few Mussolini-inspired fascist organisations which were established by Italian immigrants to Glasgow in the mid-1920s, and a few high profile Scottish supporters of Mosley's BUF, fascism never gained a foothold of any kind in Scottish political life.

However, Scotland did produce a variety of extremist parties, some with links to fascist organisations. In the 1930s anti-Catholic parties including the Scottish Protestant League (SPL) in Glasgow and Protestant Action in Edinburgh took up to a third of the votes in local council elections........ John Cormack of Protestant Action lacked such fascist connections, and even led physical opposition to Oswald Mosley on his visit to Edinburgh in 1934. The Blackshirts' sympathy for a united Ireland and Mussolini's associations with the Vatican were too much for them to take.

So bizarrely Scotlands sectarianism prevent BUF inroads.

Colonel Kurtz's previous post regarding the Minister wishing forced repatriation of the Irish is a case in point of this manifestation of theocratic fundamentalism. A kind of "Tartan Taleban" if you will, but arguably a distinct part of Scottish culture regardless of the economic situation at the time.

Cormack was a nutbar and may well have been associated with the NF in the 60's/70's, however the piece I read in a book about Cormack & Protestant Action (the name of the book eludes me) has been back up by this website

from:http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/redclyde/redclyeve23.htm

So bizarrely Scotlands sectarianism prevent BUF inroads.

Colonel Kurtz's previous post regarding the Minister wishing forced repatriation of the Irish is a case in point of this manifestation of theocratic fundamentalism. A kind of "Tartan Taleban" if you will, but arguably a distinct part of Scottish culture regardless of the economic situation at the time.

The book may have been Tom Gallachers "A City divided".

You seem to be spot on about Cormack and the blackshirts - I was sure I had read somewhere that he had been interned just before WW2 as a possible Nazi sympathiser.

Cormack certainly did have a huge chip on his shoulder about Catholics and about Ireland. I'm sure that if Mosley was in any way interested in a United Ireland - it would have been like a red rag to a bull to him.

I lived next door to John Cormack's son in the sixties. He fought in WWII and won a military cross for bravery in Italy. He was a very modest and humorous guy who was totally embarrased at his father's exploits, especially at Speakers' Corner on a Sunday. Cormack was a rabid bigot of the worst kind who spouted hatred and bile against Roman Catholics by the bucket-load - a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

I remember an incident in the late sixties when there was running battle from the foot of The Mound up the Lawnmarket and down Johnston Terrace between Cormack's mob and some republican sympathisers which filled the newspapers for a week. His son was not amused, to say the least.

Baird, King and Michael
Interesting post, BKM - but I disagree in a number of areas. Old Labour had to move to the right to get to the centre in the first place, where it arrived under John Smith, but then went even further under Tony Blair. Did they have to do this? No - but I don't think they'd have achieved anything like such a huge majority in 1997 if they hadn't, and their chances of three terms in office would've been a lot less. And just as Thatcher's greatest achievement was New Labour, so New Labour's greatest achievement has been David Cameron: both of which happened because of how the electorate voted again and again.

I think Blair's success in 97 was as much down to the fact that the country was so sick of the Tories as it was to do with the modernisation of New Labour. Look at the genuine hope and optimism there was on the ?brave new dawn? following Blair?s election. By the time he was re-elected in 2001 there were no cheering crowds, no feelings of euphoria only a kind of ?well they?re still better than the Tories? feel about it. I disagree with your final sentence in the above para?I don?t think you can compare the seismic shift that ended in the New Labour project to the softening of the Tories image under Cameron. They may have had to totally re-evaluate how they present themselves to the electorate but without having to move very much from their basic conservative beliefs. Labour on the other hand have abandoned much of the politics and principles on which they were founded.There now exists a neo-liberal concensus at the heart of British politics. (Although that is having to be re-evaluated in the face of the crisis in capitalism brought about by these same policies.)

You could certainly argue that under PR, we'd have much more of a centre-left consensus than we currently do. After all, only 43% of the electorate voted Tory in 1992, only 44% voted Labour in 1997. But the way our system works, both parties only achieved such figures because at the time, both were seen as centrist and credible. Labour offered a left wing strategy in 1992, and lost heavily. I wish the electorate was to the left of the centre of gravity - but it isn't I'm afraid.

I think you are wrong Shaun. Look at Scotland. The SNP win their first ever election on a programme that is against privatisation, against PPP/PFI schemes, against Nuclear weapons on the Clyde. Salmond was an opponent of the NATO interventions in Kosovo, the war in Afghanistan and the war in Iraq. They scrapped bridge tolls, introduced free schools meals, are looking at abolishing prescription charges and pose themselves to the electorate as a social democratic party to the left of Labour. The vast majority of votes went to either the SNP or Labour at the last election whilst previously the Greens and Socialists did well. The PR system has certainly seen no advance for the forces of the right in Scotland who are not receiving even the boost that the Tories have had in England.

The amount of spending on public services since 2001 has been enormous, and government has got bigger and bigger. I don't hear many people arguing for higher taxes or even bigger government now, do you?

Maybe the headline figures have increased but without an improvement in the frontline service. New Labour have been at the forefront of privatising parts of all the public services that have seen vast sums of money being spent subsidising the profits of private companies and introducing internal markets into areas like the NHS. On the issue of higher taxation I think right now that if you were to argue that the likes of Sir Fred Goodwin and those workers in the financial sector who received billions and billions in bonuses whilst driving the economy to the edge of collapse were to be taxed at a higher rate then you?d get dancing in the streets. If however you proposed to increase the tax burden on low or average wage earners then you would be quite rightly chased!

Iraq, meanwhile, was a left wing war, albeit opposed by most left wingers and supported by most right wingers; because it's the left who'd argued in favour of interventionist wars against murderous tyrants for many years prior to 2003.

Iraq was a left wing war? You?ve lost me there mate. It was a war for control of oil and American Imperialist hegemony according to the agenda set by right wing neo-cons. It was never a war of intervention.

It's also the case that, until very recently, it'd have been impossible for the Tories to credibly argue in favour of cuts in spending and be able to win; that was Blair's real achievement. He shifted the debate on tax and spend completely.

His real achievement (and it?s why Thatcher loved him) was in shifting the burden of taxation off of the wealthy and onto the many whilst overseeing a huge growth in inequality. He also pushed through policies that the Tories would never have dared try to introduce even at the height of their success.

I agree we're entering a dangerous time in terms of extremism, but am not that worried, mainly for the reasons Boris has provided. And I wholeheartedly agree that no party seems to offer any real alternative to the neo-liberal consensus partly responsible for getting us into this mess; but that's because it's almost impossible to do so. The whole of the West has moved rightwards over the last 20 or 30 years - and bucking that trend is incredibly difficult given the way capitalism seems to work.

Capitalism is working? You could have fooled me!

Sorry to have banged on a bit there but I felt your points needed answering.

There's the problem right there mate.

I do not believe that stupid people should have a vote. I genuinely believe that to gain a vote, people should have to prove that their IQ is over 100, also that they understand the manifestos of the major parties.

Worst post of the year........so far. Fact.

NewYorkJambo
If you are so nieve that you believe what you are told without thinking for yourself!

If you think that the Daily Star is a sensible newspaper!

If you think that Polish people are stealing your jobs (even though they are taking jobs you wouldn't do)

If your IQ is less that 75!

If you think the government should somehow make your life easy without you taking any kind of respensibility for yourself!!

Seriously guys, I can see these idiots gaining ground in the european elections, exclusively because there are too many stupid people in the UK.

Too many stupid people? Have you checked your spelling recently? People in glass houses and all that.....

NewYorkJambo
Spoil your ballot paper?

Made me laugh out loud! Good answer

Sheriff Fatman

I see the BNP are following the polititian's tradition of telling fibs to the electorate on their election leaflets.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2436087.ece

Also quite amusing was another image on the leaflet. a Spitfire with the words 'Battle for Britain' over it, and beside a piece on British Jobs for British Workers. They really need to check what they put on their leaflets as the Spitfire was from one of the Polish squadrons that were in the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

Miller Jambo 60
There's the problem right there mate.

I do not believe that stupid people should have a vote. I genuinely believe that to gain a vote, people should have to prove that their IQ is over 100, also that they understand the manifestos of the major parties.

Need to go and get my IQ updated then so i can put my N/A across my paper on 04/06/09.

Chancers every one of the robbing jokes we call politicians.

As for BMP no worse or better than the rest and the OP has serious issues.

Baird, King and Michael
Need to go and get my IQ updated then so i can put my N/A across my paper on 04/06/09.

Chancers every one of the robbing jokes we call politicians.

As for BMP no worse or better than the rest and the OP has serious issues.

Say no to the BMP!:smiley2:

Miller Jambo 60
Say no to the BMP!:smiley2:

Ha Ha cheers mate, senior moment there.:smiley2:

Aye cant wait for the clowns coming to my door crawling for my vote.

The most important thing is to go out and use your vote.

I get irritated when people say there's no point in voting because they're all as bad as each other, or somesuch.

Apathy is what lets the extreme parties in.

Even if you don't particularly like one party, there's probably one* you despise. Using your vote for one of the less repellent parties is a vote that will stop the one you hate getting in.

*In my case, this would be the BNP, but I'm trying to keep the post general so that the point is made.

I usually vote labour but this time I'm going for BNP. Is that okay with you?

The White Cockade

Makes my blood boil when these right wing/fascist/racist/nutjobs hang their coats on British Army/WW2/Battle of Britain etc

We wouldn't have won WW2 without the support of the Commonwealth troops - Indian/West Indian/African etc and also the Poles and others

In fact the fascists of the time supported Hitler!!

WW2 was fought for freedom and against oppression/racism/anti semitism

Sheriff Fatman
I usually vote labour but this time I'm going for BNP. Is that okay with you?

Of course it is okay, you can vote for anyone you like, you have that right. In just the same way, I have the right to think that the BNP are a bunch of Neo-Nazi **** who collectively have about as many brain cells as an amoeba.

PsychocAndy

I would rather be injected with Aids than vote BNP

Sheriff Fatman
Makes my blood boil when these right wing/fascist/racist/nutjobs hang their coats on British Army/WW2/Battle of Britain etc

We wouldn't have won WW2 without the support of the Commonwealth troops - Indian/West Indian/African etc and also the Poles and others

In fact the fascists of the time supported Hitler!!

WW2 was fought for freedom and against oppression/racism/anti semitism

As I said before, on their last election pamphlet they use a WW2 Spitfire next to a diatribe on British Jobs for British workers. It really is a shame that the Spitfire is from one of the Polish squadrons.

Also all the photo's they have of people with quotes next to them, as if those people said the quotes, are stock photos. Supposedly the company that own the photos are considering legal action as the BNP used them without permission (so much for their law and order credentials).

Konrad von Carstein
Of course it is okay, you can vote for anyone you like, you have that right. In just the same way, I have the right to think that the BNP are a bunch of Neo-Nazi **** who collectively have about as many brain cells as an amoeba.

That's the thing though...many (many) BNP supporters are very intelligent, unfortunately (for them) the safe stereotypes are what is trotted out by the press and people like yourself who violently oppose them.

The problem they will have is that if(when) they begin the breakthrough into the mainstream, those same stereotypes will ultimately be their undoing.

As I said in a previous post the "big 3" parties need to look at the nations perception that we are a soft touch and address these issues. For example I think, but am not sure, that the entry process for the USA, Canada and Oz is more rigorous than here.

For my part I believe that if you wish to move to a country the absolute minimum requirements should be to be competent in the language of that country and have skills that will allow you to contribute to the economy of the country.

Sheriff Fatman
That's the thing though...many (many) BNP supporters are very intelligent, unfortunately (for them) the safe stereotypes are what is trotted out by the press and people like yourself who violently oppose them.

The problem they will have is that if(when) they begin the breakthrough into the mainstream, those same stereotypes will ultimately be their undoing.

As I said in a previous post the "big 3" parties need to look at the nations perception that we are a soft touch and address these issues. For example I think, but am not sure, that the entry process for the USA, Canada and Oz is more rigorous than here.

For my part I believe that if you wish to move to a country the absolute minimum requirements should be to be competent in the language of that country and have skills that will allow you to contribute to the economy of the country.

Before we insist that incomers are competent in our language, we should try and get the people who come from here up to a decent standard first (especially those that write political pamphlets, the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes in them is laughable). In the eighties and nineties most immigrants came from the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The majority of those that move to this country are coming here with the skills that would allow them to contribute to the economy, but in the case of asylum seekers (the real ones not the ones pretending to be) they are not allowed to work at jobs they are qualified for until their case has been heard, and that can take a very long time.

Sheriff Fatman

Who is violently opposing them? I am opposing them with words not fists.

Konrad von Carstein
Before we insist that incomers are competent in our language, we should try and get the people who come from here up to a decent standard first (especially those that write political pamphlets, the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes in them is laughable). In the eighties and nineties most immigrants came from the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The majority of those that move to this country are coming here with the skills that would allow them to contribute to the economy, but in the case of asylum seekers (the real ones not the ones pretending to be) they are not allowed to work at jobs they are qualified for until their case has been heard, and that can take a very long time.

Who is violently opposing them? I am opposing them with words not fists.

Whoa! Whoa! Back up for a second...I can see now that I've re-read my post that you might think I support the BNP...for the record I don't.

I work with and am friends with many nationalities and have a Polish girl friend (probably the next bogeyman nationality for some). My post was meant to say that peoples perceptions have to be addressed to avoid making it easy for the BNP to gain a handhold in the mainstream of politics.

Also didn;t mean violent as in fighting, perhaps strongly opposed would've been a better phrase.

Archived