Have We Benefited From The Global Recession?

ronnie_fife

ronnie_fife

It seems over this season we have seen the least amount of input from Romanov since his arrival, I believe this is in part to do with the global recession. Simply, I think that he is a lot more involved with his business interests which leaves less time to dictate or have as much interest in the happenings at the club. Because of his lack of input and interest and because of this recession it has also left him with less cash to play with. Looking at the signings that were made post-Burley it is plain to see that these were Romanov's signings and these players had a detrimental effect on the team.

Players were signed on ridiculous inflated contracts which would obviously cause some sort of negative reaction with some of the then current players in the squad. Players such as Beslija, Makela, Tall, Goncalves and more recently Kingston were terrible signings in an economic sense and for the dressing room. Hopefully Kingston will go in the summer.

If the global economy had not experienced this huge downturn do you think Romanov would be more involved? Throwing money at players which won't make a positive impact on the team?

Under Csaba we seem to have created or revitalized a hard working team of professionals who have bonded well and that has been a major part of our success this season.

Had Romanov been throwing his money around bringing in players on inflated wages who didn't fit into the team we wouldn't be in the good situation we find ourselves in now.

Jimmy McNulty

I think if we benefit by the recession, it will more have to do with the fact that other teams can no longer spend stupid money on players (for other teams, read the OF).

I think recession or no recession, the big earning non-performers at Tynecastle would have been weeded out anyways as Vlad realized this was an unsustainable business model (i.e. I think this course was probably inevitable).

However, I do think a team would be more likely to be more cohesive when there are fewer individuals earning way more than others (and performing at a much lower standard). Look at what Hibs players (allegedly) think or Riordan and his "big money" contract (relative to the effort he gives).

IMO of course.

Archived