The season that was

stirlo

With third place in the bag it got me thinking about what were the key results over the season. There's been a few big ones but perhaps the 5 key ones for me were:

Sat 9th August 2008: Hearts 3 Motherwell 2

Its always a big boost to start the season with a win. The fact that 1) we scored three goals, 2) won it with a stunning late strike from Jamie Mole and 3) scored a victory over a team whose manager had turned us down in the close season - all indicated that better things lay ahead for the coming season.

Sat 8th November 2008: St Mirren 0 Hearts 1

This performance was not pretty - but a massive result. Hearts were woeful during the first half with Michael Stewart being sent off towards the end of the first half for violent conduct. We came back out and put in a great backs-to-the-wall performance with 10 men in the second half, Jonsson grabbed a goal and we held on for the win. The way we celebrated on the final whistle at Love Street (our last visit there) reflected what a great effort the players had put in and what a great result this was in the circumstances. The fact that we went on to win our next 4 games shows what a turning point this game was.

Sat 24th January 2009: Hearts 3 Inverness 2

Nothing contrasted the difference in this season's team from last season's like this game. On two occassions in the previous season we had lost to ICT through very late goals - 1-0 in Inverness and 3-2 at Tynecastle. On this occassion we lost an equaliser in the 88th minute - a stunning free kick by Dougie Imrie. Last season we'd have probably gone on to lose this game. This season we went straight up the other end and grabbed a winner through Larry Kingston.

Sat 28th February 2009: Dundee Utd 0 Hearts 1

Another superb backs to the wall effort on the road - against one of our main rivals. I think this was the day when some of us started believing third might be a possibility.

Tues 12 May 2009: Aberdeen 0 Hearts 0

For those of us at the game, I think the last half hour was the most nervy half hour of the season - it was truly unbearable to watch. Had we lost the game we might well have finished fifth - but by getting a point we knew we were virtually certain to qualify for Europe and that took the pressure off going in to the United game yesterday. Towards the end of the game it was just wave after wave of Dons attacks - but we stood firm and produced a terrific defensive display to hold on. Interestingly, the celebrations were slightly muted at the end - I think this was because most of us were totally drained after the 90 mintues we had just endured!

Let's face it, the team has not played great football this season - we just don't have the players for that - but what they have shown is loads of character - and we can't really ask for anymore than that.

Chad Sexington

It was Miko not Mole who scored against Well.

I think the 2-2 draw with the Huns was a big point. We showed a lot of character and Clum re-invented himself as a football player.

shaun.lawson

I think you've pretty much nailed that. Starting the season the way we did was terrific; the victory at St Mirren tide-turning and massively important. Personally though, I'd take out the ICT game and Tuesday night and instead include beating Rangers 2-1 as well as Motherwell 2-1 in early March. For much of the season, I'd had us down as likely to end up fifth; but this rose to 4th after the win at Tannadice, and 3rd after the very next game against Well. I even tempted fate by changing my signature too!

Put simply, every successful side has key games they can look back on and know that, had they gone the other way, things would've worked out very differently. But sides who win in the way we did at Tannadice and late on against Well simply don't blow it: and the balls we showed in those two games gave us the chance to push on and claim a richly deserved third place.

It was Miko not Mole who scored against Well.

I think the 2-2 draw with the Huns was a big point. We showed a lot of character and Clum re-invented himself as a football player.

I stand corrected - I could have sworn it was Mole but have just checked and you are absolutely right.

the draw at pittodrie was the real ballsy result. we could have had a completely different scenario without that one.

after a ropey start to the post split games, it took a major effort to grind out the results that really mattered. csaba and the players deserve a lot of respect for doing the business when lesser men would have hid.

I'd say Hearts 2-1 Aberdeen deserves to be on that list.

Berra had just left, Hamilton had beaten us 2-0, Falkirk pumped us out the cup and Zaliukas got banned. Everyone thought we would collapse after that, but we didn't. Plus it's always nice to beat the space hopper.

the draw at pittodrie was the real ballsy result. we could have had a completely different scenario without that one.

after a ropey start to the post split games, it took a major effort to grind out the results that really mattered. csaba and the players deserve a lot of respect for doing the business when lesser men would have hid.

I agree - Pittodrie last Tuesday was the key one. In all honestly, had the Dons scored late on , we might have ended up in fifth. The last half hour of that game was torture to watch!

I think the mini run we went on earlier in the season propelled us into the mix and sent a message.

It obviously helped the players confidence massively too. A big thing for me is the players response after certain games or even during them.

They have frustrated us with sudden sub standard performances(recent derby for example) but they responded against Aberdeen and done the biz versus Dundee Utd. During games we`ve witnessed comebacks v Falkirk and Aberdeen to go on and win, but the big one for me was the draw at Ibrox.

To show the desire and nerve to come back goes a long way to proving the team has grown a backbone and the days of surrendering seem gone.

but perhaps the 5 key ones for me were:

Hi guys, see what the guy said, it's his opinion

if you don't agree post your 5 :2thumbsup:

I'd say Hearts 2-1 Aberdeen deserves to be on that list.

Berra had just left, Hamilton had beaten us 2-0, Falkirk pumped us out the cup and Zaliukas got banned. Everyone thought we would collapse after that, but we didn't. Plus it's always nice to beat the space hopper.

I agree that was a big win - and especially pleasing because we came from a goal down - once again showing the character of the team.

not forgetting a 4 game unbeaten run versus the weegies which can only stand them in good stead for the future. if the players get used to playing these games thinking they'll get something then that's great news.

one last game remaining and a chance to go and enjoy themselves. if they can get a result in that atmosphere and that context then that's an achievement in itself.

Archived