Sopranos v The Wire

cosanostra

Great question; I was talking about this with a couple of mates earlier today!

I've yet to watch the very last episode of the Sopranos (which I'll do tonight - can't wait!), but I think that it shades it very slightly over The Wire. Maybe just personal preference, but I prefer the fact that The Sopranos' pacing is slightly faster than The Wire, in which several episodes are pretty much just "Cedric Daniels looks p*ssed off".

Not trying to take anything away from TW, though; both are fantastic series!

cosanostra

I know that there are many plot lines in the Sopranos that are wholly unrealistic, but I think it's supposed to be about fantasy and escapism rather than stark reality. That's why when The Wire has ridiculous plot lines and characters, it affects the quality of the show to a much larger extent.

For example, the character of Brother Mouzone was absurd. He was more like a Sopranos character than a Wire character. Also, the Clay Davis trial was pretty hard to believe. His defence was like something a kid would come out with but he was found not guilty.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the Wire but the Sopranos is superior in almost every way.

Great question; I was talking about this with a couple of mates earlier today!

I've yet to watch the very last episode of the Sopranos (which I'll do tonight - can't wait!), but I think that it shades it very slightly over The Wire. Maybe just personal preference, but I prefer the fact that The Sopranos' pacing is slightly faster than The Wire, in which several episodes are pretty much just "Cedric Daniels looks p*ssed off".

Not trying to take anything away from TW, though; both are fantastic series!

Don't do it :(

cosanostra
Don't do it :(

Don't listen to him Acey, it's tremendous.

Phil Leotardo.

That's all i'm saying. :smiley2::10900:

I've just scrolled past everything that's been posted since I posted; since I don't want it spoiled for me, I'm leaving this thread 'til tomorrow! :D

p.s. I caught the name Brother Mouzone - yes, he was ridiculous.

Don't listen to him Acey, it's tremendous.

Phil Leotardo.

That's all i'm saying. :smiley2::10900:

Think i may have came across wrongly. I agree it is a fantastic piece of television history. The writers and director of this episode are geniuses. The atmosphere throughout the episode was beautifully and cleverly crafted, the pace was perfect, the acting sublime! However it does bring it to an end, there will not be a film or one off episode. Just as we were dragged into Tonys life in season 1 we are typically thrown out again in the finale. The reason I suggested he did not watch it is he will be debating what it truly means for weeks and it done my head in!

cosanostra
Think i may have came across wrongly. I agree it is a fantastic piece of television history. The writers and director of this episode are geniuses. The atmosphere throughout the episode was beautifully and cleverly crafted, the pace was perfect, the acting sublime! However it does bring it to an end, there will not be a film or one off episode. Just as we were dragged into Tonys life in season 1 we are typically thrown out again in the finale. The reason I suggested he did not watch it is he will be debating what it truly means for weeks and it done my head in!

Apologies Craig, I see what you mean now.

Watched the Sopranos when first shown and,like just about everyone else who seen it,was bowled over.Bought the box sets and watched the whole thing again and enjoyed it as much.

A very reliable scorce then tells me "you have to see The Wire,it's as good,if not better than The Sopranos".

Can't be,says i.Nothing could be that good.

I would say looking back over both,The Sopranos shades it.Just.

The good thing is that they are both terrific pieces of television.

The bad thing is that when they are over you realise how crap most other t.v. is and that it could be ages before anything like them may appear again.

DemonCleaner

The Wire easily. Even though i love The Sopranos.

it is far more consistant over the run of series and does not have dream scenes that were far too long and boring.

Panagiotis

Never actually got round to watching The Sopranos yet. Top of my list for box sets this summer. Gotta say though The Wire has set the bar so high it's looking like a polevault will be required. I'll be happy with anything a quarter as good though.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Sopranos is one of the best pieces of TV ever made.

What I love about it is how Tony Soprano is such a vile, evil individual yet you can't help but love the guy and in a way, respect him!

Liked both but Sopranos for me.I would put Homicide Life on the Street before the Wire as well.

I have only recently bought the Sopranos box sets and I am hooked. Last winter was spent watching the Wire and I thought it was superb.

I was always aginst watching American TV but these shows were the best TV I have seen.

For me the Sopranos just edge it.

The Wire is probably my favourite tv series. But I have two more essays to hand in next week and once they are handed in The Sopranos is getting bought.

So will bump this thread in a few months. :wink:

Personally, I choose the Sopranos.

But.

As posted above, both are tremendous series. Really, really good viewing.

For me,they've risen above everything else in the last 20 years, both completely fantastic series. I always thought the BBC were tops in creating drama series, HBO have proved their equal.

I'd throw Entourage in there too BTW, great show.

However, Big Love is terrible :(

cosanostra
Personally, I choose the Sopranos.

But.

As posted above, both are tremendous series. Really, really good viewing.

For me,they've risen above everything else in the last 20 years, both completely fantastic series. I always thought the BBC were tops in creating drama series, HBO have proved their equal.

I'd throw Entourage in there too BTW, great show.

However, Big Love is terrible :(

I also love Entourage.

It's total fluff but damn it's entertaining. Johnny Drama is also a great character.

I'd throw in Oz (absurd in the extreme but highly entertaining), six feet under (great characterisation and drama), lost (very hit and miss but can be worthwhile), deadwod (lovejoy is immense) and carnivale (****ing brilliant).

Entourage is class. As Cosa said about Drama is a great character.

The last couple of seasons haven't been as good but it is still good entertainment.

cosanostra

Another wee point about about the Sopranos that makes it so incredible is the music. I've no idea who it is that chooses what tunes to play at what points throughout the episodes, but they are close to being genius in my view.

Here are three of my favourite sopranos episode tracks. Just for fun and to see if anyone is as obsessed with the show as me, can anyone tell me what series / episodes these tunes are from?

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/--50768362

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzg3_B_zsEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGBXZGyhlk&feature=related

Just listening to those songs makes my spine tingle. The Sinatra song and the Keith Richards vocal are just amazing.

The first one is also really cool because it ties in with the plot of that episode and Ralphie's struggle to obtain the power he wants within the family.

Sooperstar

I'd say The Wire, but then I haven't seen The Sopranos so I don't think my vote counts.

Gigolo-Aunt
I'd say The Wire, but then I haven't seen The Sopranos so I don't think my vote counts.

Your vote ALWAYS counts Soops - ALWAYS.

The Wire for me btw. The book Homicide (and The Corner) is excellent as well.

Dr Ian Malcolm
I know that there are many plot lines in the Sopranos that are wholly unrealistic, but I think it's supposed to be about fantasy and escapism rather than stark reality. That's why when The Wire has ridiculous plot lines and characters, it affects the quality of the show to a much larger extent.

For example, the character of Brother Mouzone was absurd. He was more like a Sopranos character than a Wire character. Also, the Clay Davis trial was pretty hard to believe. His defence was like something a kid would come out with but he was found not guilty.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the Wire but the Sopranos is superior in almost every way.

Spoiler warning would have been good there mate, I've yet to see season 5.

Thing is with Brother Mouzone, he was based on a real person.

I don't want to make a decision until i've seen the last season of The Wire, although I'll probably always have a bias towards The Sopranos as I got in to before I'd heard of The Wire.

Omar Little however, is the greatest character in anything. ever.

neverlikedElvis

the sopranos easy.

pauli and christopher lost in the snow....."you see the state of his house!!"....the last series was outstanding.

cosanostra
Spoiler warning would have been good there mate, I've yet to see season 5.

Thing is with Brother Mouzone, he was based on a real person.

I don't want to make a decision until i've seen the last season of The Wire, although I'll probably always have a bias towards The Sopranos as I got in to before I'd heard of The Wire.

Omar Little however, is the greatest character in anything. ever.

Sorry about that Pilch, I never even thought.

Omar is seriously cool but Paulie Walnuts is the man.

Cool essays on which is better.

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2007/09/15/best_show/index.html

Sopranos for me.

I love the Wire but the Sopranos is probably the best piece of pop culture of all time.

Have to say I found both of those articles slightly pretentious.

Anyhoo, to add to the debate, The Wire is my favourite. Sopranos also superb, but I would actually rank NYPB Blue ahead of it as second in my list of TV shows.

Currently negotiating my way through it. It has been fantastic. Usually with a book the size of that I tend to forget about it and go a month or so without picking it up. But it is really gripping and fantastically written.

DemonCleaner

Just finished the book Homicide also and it's quite a task. Bought the corner and will get onto that when i get some time.

Sooperstar

Excellent!

In that case can I throw Come Dine With Me into the hat?

I just realised this isn't a Best TV Programe thread, it's just a Wire V Sopranos thread so in answer to my question...No, I can't.

Gigolo-Aunt
Excellent!

In that case can I throw Come Dine With Me into the hat?

hahahahahaha

:10900:

Randle P McMurphy

2 of my favourite shows of all time but The Wire just edges it for originality. There have been some great films about the Mafia and to be honest The Sopranos outranks them all in my opinion. However The Wire with it's exploration of drug culture and the inner city problems and corruption of America's major cities wins by about .000001%.

Talking about Mafia films can anyone remember The Godfather film that was a combination of I & II? It may have been a TV mini series. My memory tells me this was even better than the films were, which were both fantastic in their own right.

Sopranos, i feel it was slightly easier to follow.Wire was really good though. Just goes to show that the Yanks make much better programming, look at their record; ER, West Wing, NYPD, the Wire, the Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Seinfeld etc.............you don't seem to get so many good programmes like that made by the BBC or any UK broadcaster

scottishgod

May I suggest adding Deadwood into the mix. I didn't think The Wire or Sopranos could ever be topped till I discovered Deadwod. Biggest crime ever that it was cancelled after only 3 seasons. Oh and check out another HBO classic OZ

cosanostra
May I suggest adding Deadwood into the mix. I didn't think The Wire or Sopranos could ever be topped till I discovered Deadwod. Biggest crime ever that it was cancelled after only 3 seasons. Oh and check out another HBO classic OZ

I watched season 1 of Deadwood on surfthechannel and it was absolutley dynamite. I'd love to see s2 and s3 but I don't have money to shell out on the dvds. I'm hoping some kindly soul will upload them. It is seriously good entertainment though.

DemonCleaner

HBO is the mutts to be fair. Been meaning to watch deadwood, will get around to it some point.

Battlestar Galactica is another great US series.

Jimmy McNulty
HBO is the mutts to be fair. Been meaning to watch deadwood, will get around to it some point.

Deadwood is worth it for Ian McShane. Genius.

The prison series Oz was seriously excellent too. Check it out if you can. HBO stuff is fantastic: The Wire, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, True Blood, Band of Brothers, Dexter -- All good.

The Shield was excellent cop TV too.

Say What Again
Oh and check out another HBO classic OZ

I used to watch Oz all the time when it was on late on C4 years ago. The missus had never seen it so I bought all 6 series on DVD, which we've just finished watching.

Neither off us have seen The Wire (I watched the first 2 episodes on BBC2) so I just bought all 5 series of that from eBay for ?50.

Probably make a start on it this weekend.

The Wire.

Just a fantastic array of characters:

Omar, Bunk, McNulty (when he's off the wagon), Bunny, Carver, Stringer...the list goes on.

Archived