Provence

Denny Crane

Denny Crane

Am off to Provence next week for a few days (based in Aix-en-Provence to be precise) and was wondering if anyone who had been before can recommend any sights, places, bars, cafes, etc within the area.

Thanks in advance

Stuart Lyon

Le Baux, St Remy de Provence Ilse de la Sorgue (twinned with Penecuik) are all worth a visit. I will be Aix-en-Provence sometime next week too. Doing a bit of touring but staying with friends near Orgon.

Enjoy.

Auld Reekin'

Can definitely recommend Arles. It's very historical and beautiful and there are some fantastic Roman remains there, particularly the amphitheatre (now a bullring). There are lots of caf?s and restaurants and other historic buildings as well.

The area and many of the smaller towns to the east of Avignon are very nice too, including Roussillon, Gordes, Murs and Lacoste. We stayed in Roussillon, which is very picturesque, if a bit busy with tourists during the day. There are quite a few nice caf?s and restaurants in the main square - they're nothing exceptional, but fine if you're in the area.

A strong tip I have is to drink the local wine instead of the beer. Most of the wine from Provence is very nice, in direct contrast to French beer, and the fact that I was charged 6 euros for a half litre of Heineken sealed it for me.

Archived