Minority interest - French Div 2 and Summer holidays :-)

VeraNT

Three rounds to go in French Div2. Lens are promoted and will probably finish first. Their weekend match was watched by 35k. Strasbourg moved into second, watched by 14k. Thats my team and thats where I hope to end up living when I pack in working. They are planning a big new stadium as well.

What is very interesting is that 2nd to 6th place are only seperated by 5 points. Its even tighter at the bottom with the last 10 teams seperated by 8 points. The three bottom teams have the same number of points.

Now, soon to join the second division could be Ibby Tall's, Nantes.

They lost 3-0 to Lyon tonight and Tall was substituted at half time, with Lyon 2-0 up. The 2nd bottom (Nantes) to 5th bottom team are seperated by a point. Tight, tight, tight.

Anyway - when July comes round and some of you clowns are in la belle France on holiday - try and catch a game or two. The sports daily l'equipe lists all the games going on and even if your French is la merdre, that should be easy enough to work out. Civilised night out - have a nice beer and scoff some decent fast food on a balmy summer evening.

shaun.lawson

Poor old Nantes. I keep an eye on their fortunes for what should be obvious reasons given who my English club are - but they're in big trouble again, and appear to have come out in sympathy with their Norfolk cousins... :57: God knows what Lens were doing in Ligue 2 in the first place though: along with Marseille, they have probably the most fanatical support in France, and belong in the top six of the top flight really.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to see that Lyon's long reign is finally coming to an end. It must've got very boring for everyone else. Hopefully it's Marseille who'll replace them as Champions - though they're such a schizophrenic club it'd be just like them to still stuff it up somehow.

Archived