Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ivanauskas33

Ivanauskas33

I just saw this for the first time last night. On first viewing I would say it is one of the best films I've ever seen.

Johnny Depp is absolutely brilliant and has the mannerisms of the character spot on.

Was also impressed with Benecio del Toro playing the much less likeable Dr. Gonzo.

All in all I thought it was hilarious, and also very interesting. Instead of holding drug semenars and classroom discussion to stop kids doing drugs they should just show the kids this film. Especially the scene with the knife, scared the life out of me anyway :toilet: . According to Johnny Depp, Hunter Thompson told him stories from the trip that are much worse than anything included in the book or the film. Unbelievable that there are nartural substances that can alter your mind in such ways.

I look forward to reading the book sometime in future.

The People's Chimp

I never even smoked a cigarette till i saw that film. Since then i've smoked crack with winehouse and have a greenhouse of peyote plants.

Ivanauskas33
I never even smoked a cigarette till i saw that film. Since then i've smoked crack with winehouse and have a greenhouse of peyote plants.

Haha, awrite maybe not the most effective strategy for tackling drug abuse.

The People's Chimp

It's a very enjoyable film and I loved the book - I went through a period of devouring hunter s' writing - but as you acknowledge, wouldn't be an effective drug education strategy.

Ivanauskas33
It's a very enjoyable film and I loved the book - I went through a period of devouring hunter s' writing - but as you acknowledge, wouldn't be an effective drug education strategy.

I'm really looking forward to reading some of his stuff. Its really hard to find his articles online, apart from a few on the Rolling Stone website. Anything you would specifically recommend to read?

Patrick Bateman
I'm really looking forward to reading some of his stuff. Its really hard to find his articles online, apart from a few on the Rolling Stone website. Anything you would specifically recommend to read?

I'd recommend watching "Gonzo: The life and work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479468/ Also, there is a documentary by Panorama (of all shows) where this BBC stiff follows him around for a while. I can't seem to find it online at the moment though... very, very interesting character.

Ivanauskas33
I'd recommend watching "Gonzo: The life and work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479468/ Also, there is a documentary by Panorama (of all shows) where this BBC stiff follows him around for a while. I can't seem to find it online at the moment though... very, very interesting character.

Cheers, I'll have a look for them both. I've seen a couple of interviews with him and I agree, very interesting.

Say What Again
I just saw this for the first time last night. On first viewing I would say it is one of the best films I've ever seen.

Where have you been hiding?

'Bat Country' right at the start and any scene in the hotel, make it worth watching.

If you're going to read Hunter S Thompson, and you liked Fear and Loathing, go for 'The Rum Diary' first.

Enjoy. :10600:

Auld Reekin'
I just saw this for the first time last night. On first viewing I would say it is one of the best films I've ever seen.*

Johnny Depp is absolutely brilliant and has the mannerisms of the character spot on.

Was also impressed with Benecio del Toro playing the much less likeable Dr. Gonzo.

All in all I thought it was hilarious, and also very interesting. Instead of holding drug semenars and classroom discussion to stop kids doing drugs they should just show the kids this film. Especially the scene with the knife, scared the life out of me anyway :toilet: . According to Johnny Depp, Hunter Thompson told him stories from the trip that are much worse than anything included in the book or the film. Unbelievable that there are nartural substances that can alter your mind in such ways.

*Yeah - those chemicals are kickin' in gooood!!! :err::batman::10600:

However, the book is great as is his article (essay? :qqb010:) "Fear and Loathing at the Kentucky Derby".

Belter of a film. I think it took me until the third watch to fully appreciate just how good Depp and Del Toro are in it. Brilliant performances.

One of the very few examples when a film has been better than a book IMO.

Although both are very good.

Private Hudson

His best book by far is 'Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail', he follows the Democratic runner against Nixon. Brilliant writing and a great insight into American politics.

Big Mitch

Well said OP, an absolutely amazing film. Has actually heightened the fear I believe taking anything mind-altering would give me!

Love the movie and the book.

"This is what the world would've been like had Hitler won the war"

'Bat Country' right at the start and any scene in the hotel, make it worth watching.

If you're going to read Hunter S Thompson, and you liked Fear and Loathing, go for 'The Rum Diary' first.

This is the best scene for me:

Comedy gold when they are trying to walk in on ether :D

Ivanauskas33

I heard they're making that into a film aswell, with Johnny Depp playing the lead character again.

His best book by far is 'Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail', he follows the Democratic runner against Nixon. Brilliant writing and a great insight into American politics.

Yeah I quite fancied reading that one, apparently its meant to be one of the best books to find out about the intricacies of a presedential campaign.

Well said OP, an absolutely amazing film. Has actually heightened the fear I believe taking anything mind-altering would give me!

Yeah thats what I was thinking aswell. It seems like it doesn't apply to everyone though :shifty:

*Yeah - those chemicals are kickin' in gooood!!! :err::batman::10600:

However, the book is great as is his article (essay? :qqb010:) "Fear and Loathing at the Kentucky Derby".

Haha, none for me thanks :err: not after I've seen what they can do in the film anyway.

There seems to be loads of articles about the article online, but not the article itself. If that makes sense.

Ivanauskas33
As your lawyer I suggest you follow this link - http://thebivouac.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/the-kentucky-derby-is-decadent-and-depraved/

No Ralph Steadman illustrations unfortunately.

Cheers for that, excellent article.

I think a friend has a copy of The Great Shark Hunt, so may just have to be borrowing it to get the illustrations aswell.

had the film in the house to watch for ages and never quite got round to it.

guess i'll have to watch it soon huh

The People's Chimp

The great Shark hunt is a good collection of his writing; pieces which form part of fear and loathing and also a lot of his rolling stone articles.

The rum diary is great and along with hells angels you'll be able to pick it up in any half decent bookshop.

Currahee!

If you like Fear and Loathing watch Where the Buffalo Roam. Again about Hunter S Thomson etc. but it has Bill Murray playing him. It's as good!

Fear and Loathing is one of my favourite films ever.

Me and my brother still imitate the "ether walk" to this very day when out on the pish

Ivanauskas33

Me and my brother still imitate the "ether walk" to this very day when out on the pish

I think that may just become a key part of all my future nights out aswell.

Thought it was just me and my mate that did that!

DemonCleaner

thought fear and loathing on the campaign trail was quite hard going when i read that, was still at school and am *ahem* a bit wiser now.

pretty cool that the rum diary is being made, there has been talk of it happening for years

This is the best scene for me:

Comedy gold when they are trying to walk in on ether :D

"I think I'm....gettin' the fear."

Rupert Pupkin

I have loads o books by the doctor, but i must boast to owning a signed copy of GENERATION OF SWINE,seemingly quite rare as it's signed H S THOMSON instead of his usual HST.Also have a 1st edition of KINGDOM OF FEAR .

Private Hudson
I have loads o books by the doctor, but i must boast to owning a signed copy of GENERATION OF SWINE,seemingly quite rare as it's signed H S THOMSON instead of his usual HST.Also have a 1st edition of KINGDOM OF FEAR .

Very nice! Where'd you get the signed copy from?

Found his stuff kind of dated really. Ground breaking at the time, bit like how monty python looks now. For drug addled ramblings, I prefer the freak brothers.

Archived