Top 5 Favourite Goals Against Rangers

Del1812

Was going to do a top 5 Hibs goalkeeping mistakes but I think I'll save that until after we derail the Huns title ambitions. So in anticipation of making Ally McCoist literally soil himself on the Ibrox touchline I thought it'd be good for spirits to look back on some success against these horrible inbreds from Govan from past years.

Top 5 favourite goals against the Huns. Your thoughts? Either in terms of quality of goal or importance, I'll leave that up to you. But I will state that you had to actually be alive at the time.

My Top 5.

5. John Robertson. 1996, League Cup Final, Parkhead.

The only goal to appear on my list in a game we didn't actually win but how we thought that was very possible when this went in. We looked dead and buried after finding ourselves 2-0 down within half an hour but Stevie Fulton grabbed a goal back before half time to give us hope. The way we came out in the second half inspired a feeling amongst the support that we were going to draw level. McCann, turning in one of the greatest individual performances to grace any final, ripped the Rangers defence down the left before firing a low cross for Robbo to knock in. From there I think every Hearts fan thought we'd go on to win the cup - pity about Gazza.

4. Kevin Thomas. 1995, Scottish Cup 4th Round, Tynecastle.

'Thomas is there'. Three words that I will always remember thanks to the VHS containing the full 90 minutes of this match that I watched over in over again in the two years after this victory. The game was almost won but you always expect a last minute goal when playing one of the Old Firm, Thomas's goal gave the fans great unconditional delirium in an otherwise dire season. Will also always remember this for the great run from Dave McPherson started from deep in the Hearts half that led to the goal.

3. Roman Bednar. 2005, Premier Division, Tynecastle.

How we dreamed. The Champions came to Tynecastle hoping to prove to the rest of Scottish football and their buddies, the gibbering morons in the press box, that George Burley's Hearts team was merely a flash in the pan unable of making themselves into title contendors. Bednar's header midway through the first half produced a roar from Tynecastle seldom seen before or since. Had Bednar not been injured then there was a very good chance we would have embarassed Rangers that day. Had Burley not been... well, you know the rest.

2. Allan Johnston. 1996, Premier Division, Ibrox.

Bit of a cheat here because I wasn't actually at the game but I don't believe I've ever had so much fun listening to a Hearts game on the radio. Surprisingly as well I've gone for Johnston's hat-trick completing 3rd as opposed to the better goal of the three that was his 2nd when he chipped Goram. When he completed his hat-trick and out improbable 3-0 rout I couldn't contain my joy as I danced like a ***** around my living room. Winning 3-0 at Ibrox seemed like a scene from a cheesy sports movie, a feat that I never thought could actually occur in real life. Until Rangers turned into also rans in 2005 and let Hibs do it twice - arseholes.

1. Stephane Adam. 1998, Scottish Cup Final, Parkhead.

I think this may be number 1 on a lot of lists. What you will find surprising is my omission of Cameron's opener from this list. That is because at the time I was so nervous I felt physically sick. Something just told me that with the season we had it was going to be a case of now or never. When Cameron scored it just made me feel even worse, we he scored we then had something that could be thrown away, I thought I could not bare. Adam's goal meant the cup was within touching distance and what at times seemed the impossible was about to become reality. Put simply, the winning goal in the 1998 Cup Final win - no other explanation required.

Rudolf's Mate

The only goal to appear on my list in a game we didn't actually win but how we thought that was very possible when this went in. We looked dead and buried after finding ourselves 2-0 down within half an hour but Stevie Fulton grabbed a goal back before half time to give us hope. The way we came out in the second half inspired a feeling amongst the support that we were going to draw level. McCann, turning in one of the greatest individual performances to grace any final, ripped the Rangers defence down the left before firing a low cross for Robbo to knock in. From there I think every Hearts fan thought we'd go on to win the cup - pity about Gazza.

PITTY ABOUT THE FOUL ON ROBBO NOT BEING GIVEN SECONDS BEFORE GAZZA SCORED!

I remember leaving Gorgie and hitting the motorway only to get caught in the snow. Thought the game might be abandoned!!!

Was going to do a top 5 Hibs goalkeeping mistakes but I think I'll save that until after we derail the Huns title ambitions. So in anticipation of making Ally McCoist literally soil himself on the Ibrox touchline I thought it'd be good for spirits to look back on some success against these horrible inbreds from Govan from past years.

Top 5 favourite goals against the Huns. Your thoughts? Either in terms of quality of goal or importance, I'll leave that up to you. But I will state that you had to actually be alive at the time.

My Top 5.

'Thomas is there'. Three words that I will always remember thanks to the VHS containing the full 90 minutes of this match that I watched over in over again in the two years after this victory. The game was almost won but you always expect a last minute goal when playing one of the Old Firm, Thomas's goal gave the fans great unconditional delirium in an otherwise dire season. Will also always remember this for the great run from Dave McPherson started from deep in the Hearts half that led to the goal.

How we dreamed. The Champions came to Tynecastle hoping to prove to the rest of Scottish football and their buddies, the gibbering morons in the press box, that George Burley's Hearts team was merely a flash in the pan unable of making themselves into title contendors. Bednar's header midway through the first half produced a roar from Tynecastle seldom seen before or since. Had Bednar not been injured then there was a very good chance we would have embarassed Rangers that day. Had Burley not been... well, you know the rest.

Bit of a cheat here because I wasn't actually at the game but I don't believe I've ever had so much fun listening to a Hearts game on the radio. Surprisingly as well I've gone for Johnston's hat-trick completing 3rd as opposed to the better goal of the three that was his 2nd when he chipped Goram. When he completed his hat-trick and out improbable 3-0 rout I couldn't contain my joy as I danced like a ***** around my living room. Winning 3-0 at Ibrox seemed like a scene from a cheesy sports movie, a feat that I never thought could actually occur in real life. Until Rangers turned into also rans in 2005 and let Hibs do it twice - arseholes.

I think this may be number 1 on a lot of lists. What you will find surprising is my omission of Cameron's opener from this list. That is because at the time I was so nervous I felt physically sick. Something just told me that with the season we had it was going to be a case of now or never. When Cameron scored it just made me feel even worse, we he scored we then had something that could be thrown away, I thought I could not bare. Adam's goal meant the cup was within touching distance and what at times seemed the impossible was about to become reality. Put simply, the winning goal in the 1998 Cup Final win - no other explanation required.

Enjoyed reading that. Great memories!

We_are_the_Hearts

About 1983, 2-0 down at home to Rangers with a min to go. Sure Blobby Williamson scored for Gers. Derek O'Connor got a goal back. Then we went back up the park and Robbo scored an overhead kick at the school end where everyone was congregated on the way out. Tynie went nuts. Was only 8 but found it bizarre seeing skinheads with fingerless gloves jumping on the fences:qqb010:

Agree with 1, 3 and 5 FJ. Also liked Sandy Clarks goal with no shoe on in 86 at the School end as I think that was our fourth win against Rangers that season and we dominated in front of about 29,000 at Tynie and thought the League was coming:13:

knoxyjambo

Wee Robbo's 2nd in the game he broke Jimmy Wardaugh's league goal scoring record, beat two men and curled it home past officer Dibble to send Tynie into raptures, such a great moment after he had broken the record with a pen a few mins earlier

My Top 5.

I would agree with all of the above

GreigB1989

With out a doubt Stephanie Adams is no1 for me!

I was only 9 at the time and i was at the game with my dad and the guy sitting behind us picked me up and threw me in the air a couple times then apologised to my dad and he either said sorry i dont have a kid or my kids not here!

Great Memories =D

speedbump

Stephane Adam - Cup Final.

Robbo - 2-2 in the last minute at Tynie.

Scott Crabbe - In the ****ing rain at the Gorgie Rd end.

Robbo to take the record

Alan Johnston - The second of the hat trick, cheeky lob and me and a few mates on the trackside going nuts.

Would add Robbo's record breaker.

and the one he scored a minute later. cracking solo effort.

Reading throught this, it's actually quite hard to choose a top 5 because there's some crackers in there.

One that wouldn't necessarily get in anyone's top 5 but worth an honourable mention was Allan preston's goal against them in the Scottish Cup semi in 93 (I think) at Parkhead. It was my first ever visit to Parkhead and was sitting in the Main stand and remember watching Preston bullet that header in and then just keep on running towards the Hearts fans who were going mental on the terraces at that end.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Jim Hamilton to make it 2-1 at Ibrox in 1998. For 18 minutes we thought we could win the league.

No. 28 making it 4-1 last season.

Clark in his sock.

I also have vague memories of Robbo scoring a last minute penalty to equalise at Ibrox near Christmas Sandy Clark's season as manager I think. I loved that.

Call me what you like, but I'm' not ashamed to admit that reading that gave me a tingle in my spine and a wee tear in my eye. What memories.

jambo_boy

1. Adam 98 final

2. Colin McAdam 85ish (Cup Game)

3. JC 1st goal @ Ibrox 85

4. JC 2nd goal @ Ibrox 85

5. Mickey 98 final

Guest casper
About 1983, 2-0 down at home to Rangers with a min to go. Sure Blobby Williamson scored for Gers. Derek O'Connor got a goal back. Then we went back up the park and Robbo scored an overhead kick at the school end where everyone was congregated on the way out. Tynie went nuts. Was only 8 but found it bizarre seeing skinheads with fingerless gloves jumping on the fences

That game was a big turning point for the club and signalled the end of a pretty bleak period. Fantasic goal.

Fav has to be Adam in the cup final though, if only for its importance

Tommy Murray sits on the ball at Ibrox, stands up, crosses and was it Donald Ford that headed home?

Very hazy memories of that but remember seeing it on TV when I was a bairn.

Stephane Adam's for me though.

Patrick Bateman

I remember standing in the second tier, behind the goal when Adam let his shot away... It seemed to take an absolute age for the ball to hit the back of the net, but when it did, everything around me errupted. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.

tommy murray sittin on the ball and ford scoring was at tynie got it on vid, the old curved supports on the nets with the maroon stripe down the middle.

Patrick Bateman

Any excuse...

Shame nobody seems to have a clear copy of the 98 goals because the VHS is a little fuzzy.

Guest Dipped Flake
tommy murray sittin on the ball and ford scoring was at tynie got it on vid, the old curved supports on the nets with the maroon stripe down the middle.

No, was defo at ibrox, I was there

not my fave goal but i have a vague memory of wayne foster scoring a screamer at tynecastle im sure it was against rangers and late in the game,i think we still lost.

anyone remember this??

No, was defo at ibrox, I was there

it was before my time

im sure ive heard before that goal caused a bit of controversy afterwards,is that true?

Dixie Chicken
it was before my time

im sure ive heard before that goal caused a bit of controversy afterwards,is that true?

From the next season onwards kingston, it was deemed as ungentlemanly conduct if this old memory serves me correctly.

not my fave goal but i have a vague memory of wayne foster scoring a screamer at tynecastle im sure it was against rangers and late in the game,i think we still lost.

anyone remember this??

I think that was the week after his goal against Hibs. I've got the game on video somewhere, I think we lost 2-1. I'm not sure it would be in the screamer category to be honest but it was not bad.

From the next season onwards kingston, it was deemed as ungentlemanly conduct if this old memory serves me correctly.

i kinda thought that

can your memory help me out in my earlier post about fosters goal??

Ray Winstone

Is there any footage of the 96 League cup final game anywhere on the internet.

I can remember the game clear as day but I have not seen highlights of any of it since I watched it live.

davieholt

In the mid - late 60s at Tynie.

Johnny Hamilton brought down on the right. Gers fans baying cos they hated him. He takes the free kick.

Three forwards lose the Rangers defenders and any one of them would have scored but it was Alan Gordon who got his head to it. What made it so good was that we could all see it happening and knew we would score before the header went in.

Great times :)

Uberjambo

Big Dave MacPherson scoring at Tynie with a superbly worked 1-2 move. It was a Monday night game on Sky early 90's.

In the early 90s Rangers were at the peak of their 9 in a row plutocracy.

Between our 2-0 victories on 10 Dec 1988 and our 4-2 win in the 4th round of the cup 20 Feb 1995 we played Rangers 27 Times

We Lost 20, Drew 6 but early in the 1991-92 season Scott Crabbe opened the scoring in the First Minute with a Mikoesque goal and Henry Smith made sure that it was all we needed.

The sense of belief that result engendered in Tynecastle was tremendous and Joe Jordan's team didn't lose in the league until Parkhead in October and would stay clear of Rangers until our visit to Ibrox. Rangers strength in depth it was inevitable that we would get caught eventually (we bought Wayne Foster on for Crabbe) but we did go on to split the Old Firm.

If Bednar is on the list then Crabbe should be too.

Jimmy McNulty
About 1983, 2-0 down at home to Rangers with a min to go. Derek O'Connor got a goal back. Then we went back up the park and Robbo scored an overhead kick at the school end where everyone was congregated on the way out. Tynie went nuts.

Brilliant ending -- the fans walking along gorgie road who had left earlier couldn't understand why we were singing and chanting in the car as we passed 'em. Must have been sick, missing that!! Taunting Nicky Walker was the icing on the cake :)

Dixie Chicken
you should mind it,id have been standing right next to you

True mate, can just about remember the goal, don't think it was as good as you seem to recall tho. :P

All that Omega cider has maybe taken it's toll.

True mate, can just about remember the goal, don't think it was as good as you seem to recall tho. :P

All that Omega cider has maybe taken it's toll.

aye u could be right,dont think ive ever saw that goal since

Adam....98.

Cameron....98 penalty.Superb penalty.1st touch of the ball as well.

Robbo....86 Scotish cup winner.2yard open goal after Walker dropped a cross against Big Slim (hun at time).McAdam and Mackay scored the other 2 in an 3/2 win.

Colquhoun....Ibrox the same season.Superb run and shot in a hard surface in an easy 2/0 win.We filled the whole end that day.

I Ferguson.....Robbo's return game.Butcher makes an erse of a passback,Balls going in but Fergie makes sure To seal a 2/0 win.

Francis Albert

One I never tire of remembering (and mentioning) - Ford in the 87th minute of the SC QF replay in front of 44000 at Tynecastle in 1968.

colinmaroon

The five we're going to score on Sunday!!!

I remember standing in the second tier, behind the goal when Adam let his shot away... It seemed to take an absolute age for the ball to hit the back of the net, but when it did, everything around me errupted. I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.

I'm absolutely amazed that you could be behind the goal when there was no stand behind the goal; it was being built. :unsure:

Being only 17, I've not got that many that were really that special.

Cameron and Adam's in the 98 final.

Bednar's in the 05/06 season.

Palazuelos' in the last game at Ibrox? :glasses:

Apart from that, nothing springs to mind. I remember we beat them and Joe Hamill scored but I wasn't at the game.

Being only 17, I've not got that many that were really that special.

Cameron and Adam's in the 98 final.

Bednar's in the 05/06 season.

Palazuelos' in the last game at Ibrox? :glasses:

Apart from that, nothing springs to mind. I remember we beat them and Joe Hamill scored but I wasn't at the game.

not that special????????

not that special????????

Of course they were.

I meant I've not really seen that many goals that mattered against Rangers. Those listed were the few that did. The 98 final especially.

Of course they were.

I meant I've not really seen that many goals that mattered against Rangers. Those listed were the few that did. The 98 final especially.

good lad

well heres hoping we get a couple of important goals on sunday

Benny Factor
Wee Robbo's 2nd in the game he broke Jimmy Wardaugh's league goal scoring record, beat two men and curled it home past officer Dibble to send Tynie into raptures, such a great moment after he had broken the record with a pen a few mins earlier

Remind me of any goal McCoist or Boyd ever scored like that??....... Robbo was more than just a goal-scorer!

Different class.

Many years before my time but watching that was brilliant. They strips are fantastic.

Remind me of any goal McCoist or Boyd ever scored like that??....... Robbo was more than just a goal-scorer!

Superb stuff! "He's not only broken the record, he's smashed it!"

How we could do with someone like the wee man now!

winston churchill

scottish cup game at tynecastle park.

sandy clark scored with his right peg and his right boot in his hand.

i am sure we won the game 3-1 or 3-2.

Archived