Your sporting heroes (who didn't play for, manage or own Hearts)

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

Sort of a counterpart to the sportsmen/women you hate for daft reasons thread. Because of the fact we'd all just choose Hearts legends, I've excluded HMFC from this thread - and trust respondents will be able to show a broad appreciation of sport.

I'll start:

Muhammad_Ali_NYWTS.jpg

1703b.gif

robsonstatue.jpg

diego-maradona_1986.jpg

2.jpg

jose-mourinho.jpg

_1269422_dennis_taylor1985all.jpg

_44554834_sandy_lyle_masters203b.jpg

BrianMoore_676766.jpg

278080600133_0_ALB.jpg

The White Cockade

Jack Nicklaus

Wayne Gretzky

Jim Clark

Joey Dunlop

Joe Jordan (player)

Franz Klammer

Andre Joubert

Steve Hislop

Marco Van Basten

Evonne Goolagong

Frankie Fredericks

Viv Richards

Ian Botham

Shane Warne

Gavin Hastings

_39087695_bobtaylor203.jpg

Bob Taylor, England wicketkeeper post Alan Knott.

cl919.jpg

Derek Randall (batting), fairly good batsman but a wonderful fielder.

Carl Spackler

There's scores I could think of but Tony Stanger springs straight to mind.

Alex Ferguson is another.

This is the man though.

eddieEagleREX1309_468x270.jpg

There's a few:

michaeljordan.jpg

joeandjerry.jpg

Montana and Rice. The Greatest Quarterback with the finest player ever to grace a football field

michaeljohnson.jpg

I thought he was joking when I saw him run at Meadowbank....

warne.jpg

Ive never been so starstruck as when I met Mr Warne. The man who got me hooked on Cricket and the art of spin bowling.

rickeyhenderson.jpg

One of the best ever in baseball. Rickey Henderson.

marioa.jpg

The greatest hockey player (stick yer Gretzky!:laugh:)

There's a few:

michaeljordan.jpg

joeandjerry.jpg

Montana and Rice. The Greatest Quarterback with the finest player ever to grace a football field

michaeljohnson.jpg

I thought he was joking when I saw him run at Meadowbank....

warne.jpg

Ive never been so starstruck as when I met Mr Warne. The man who got me hooked on Cricket and the art of spin bowling.

rickeyhenderson.jpg

One of the best ever in baseball. Rickey Henderson.

marioa.jpg

The greatest hockey player (stick yer Gretzky!:laugh:)

Love your Mario Lemieux chat, but your Montana/Rice? Give me a break.

American Football existed before 1988, just so you know.

:wink:

Love your Mario Lemieux chat, but your Montana/Rice? Give me a break.

American Football existed before 1988, just so you know.

:wink:

It certainly did. Go look at Rice's records.:tt2:

And Montana's first two Superbowl's before then as well...:wink:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Why would anybody hate Tim Henman? The guy is about as inoffensive as you can get.

Rupert Pupkin

BOOMER ESIASON-legendary BENGALS QB

CURTIS JOSEPH(CuJo)- Legendary MAPLE LEAFS goaltender

LENNOX LEWIS - for all he achieved .

And you can Stick MONTANA up your ar se ,the ALBERT KIDD of NFL for me!!!!

It certainly did. Go look at Rice's records.:tt2:

And Montana's first two Superbowl's before then as well...:wink:

Look up a man called Sammy Baugh.

Makes your shout of "greatest QB of all time" and "best player of all time" look a bit silly.

Look up a man called Sammy Baugh.

Makes your shout of "greatest QB of all time" and "best player of all time" look a bit silly.

Not really. Rice owns every record for his position with some highly unlikely to be beaten. One of Baugh's record's is shared with Steve Young who was inferior to Montana. Baugh also has a lower QB rating than Montana too as well as throwing for more INT's than TD's.

Or are we using his punting stats too?

Shaun - is that Monica Seles? *** - did you see the photos of her in the ST? Transformed and totty-tastic.

When I was very young I got the autographs of Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart on the same Ingliston programme. What did I do?

Cut them out and put them into an autograph book.

Dang.

Two world championsin the making.

Dang.

Not really. Rice owns every record for his position with some highly unlikely to be beaten. One of Baugh's record's is shared with Steve Young who was inferior to Montana. Baugh also has a lower QB rating than Montana too as well as throwing for more INT's than TD's.

Or are we using his punting stats too?

But while we are at it, it isnt the thread. I dont particularly want to (be seen to) hijack it.

They are two of my heroes and thats my opinion.

shaun.lawson
Shaun - is that Monica Seles? *** - did you see the photos of her in the ST? Transformed and totty-tastic.

Monica's a hero of mine because of the huge courage and grace she showed after the horrendous thing which happened to her. How many great sportsmen and women have been robbed of their best years not through bad luck such as an injury, but being attacked by a lunatic? Unbelievably, he wasn't even jailed for what he did; just as unbelievably, when the top ten players were asked to protect Seles' number one ranking until she returned, everyone voted against, with the exception of Gabriela Sabatini. Another hero of mine.

Gunther Parche got what he wanted. Steffi Graf returned to the top, and won a huge number of Grand Slams essentially unchallenged. Seles was never the same player again, and developed psychological problems and a serious eating disorder to boot - whereupon the public would chastise her for being out of shape instead of understanding the torment she was in. Yet she remained a gentle, sensitive, kind person, utterly beloved in the US - and has an honesty about her which few sportspeople can match.

I'll leave football out of this.

Miguel Indurain.

Jim Clark.

Sugar Ray Leonard.

And of course the greatest racing driver of all time.

Tazio Nuvolari. The flying Mantuan.

I can't believe I left out the one true genius in motorsport just now.

The Doctor.

Valentino Rossi.

Sebastian Loeb is pretty amazing but he doesn't inspire me the same way Rossi does.

i'm gonna do the scottish ones to be fair...with no pics I have no idea how to do that

Bill Torrance

Alan Wells

Bernard Gallagher

Sam Torrance

Sandy Lyle

Liz McColgan

Colin Montgomery

*coughs* Scott Harrison and his pal Alex..was it kleenex..i get confused

and many many more :sorcerer:

JT's & Irons

Ali

Laurent Fignon

Gianni Bugno

Barry John

Sir Trev Brooking

Bryan "Pop" Robson

Sir Bobby Moore

batistutaearly.jpg

Still my favourite footballer of all time - THE complete forward

0618_large.jpg

Best defenseman on NHL 1997

maldini2.jpg

Legend:hammer:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

muhammad_ali_versus_sonny_liston.jpg

Currently reading Ali's biography and the guy was just out of this world. He literally transformed boxing single handed. I doubt there will ever be another sportsman who has an impact on their sport in the way he did.

zinedinezidane2_narrowweb__300x424,2.jpg

Being a midfielder, he was my footballing hero as I grew up. Classy individual and rarely seemed to break a sweat. Also scored one of my favourite ever goals at Hampden. Top, top player and right up there with Maradone and Pele, imo.

When i was a kid i was in awe of marco Van Basten and Jean Pierre Papin. They both remain my heroes along with Emilio Butragueno.

shaun.lawson

Currently reading Ali's biography and the guy was just out of this world. He literally transformed boxing single handed. I doubt there will ever be another sportsman who has an impact on their sport in the way he did.

Being a midfielder, he was my footballing hero as I grew up. Classiest individual and rarely seemed to break a sweat. Also scored one of my favourite ever goals at Hampden. Top, top player and right up there with Maradone and Pele, imo.

Or, crucially, on broader society - which IMO is the reason Ali is the greatest sportsman who ever lived. Meanwhile, on Zidane: here's the late, great Thierry Gilardi's brilliant commentary of that sending-off in ZZ's last ever game (3:55 in):

Ivanauskas33
batistutaearly.jpg

Still my favourite footballer of all time - THE complete forward

Excellent shout there. Absolutely lethal. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that he never wanted to be a footballer, and only started to play professionally to fund his education. I really like that he stayed loyal to Fiorentina almost his whole career in Europe.

Sir Ian Botham, Shane Warne and Sahcin Tendulkar.

Mike Tyson and Barry McGuiggan.

Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna.

Nick Faldo and Seve.

Harry Palmer

King Kenny Dalglish.

Souness (1-0!).

Stefan Edberg.

'The Italian Stallion'.....:sorcerer:

Sandy Lyle.

Bruce Grobelaar:sorcerer:

Derek Whyte(1990 Grand Slam; went to my old school...!)

David Sole

Zidane.

Ach, cannae be bothered thinking of any more...

ps not sure if he was a 'sportsman' but Bill McLaren for best commentator..

markletissier

matt.gif

you taking the matt le tiss?

seve.jpg

who is this scott lad they call seve?

randy+couture_7741.jpg

the natural

Canadianjambo

Your knowledge of hockey, golf and football is pathetic!!!!

[ATTACH]2197[/ATTACH]

Samuel Jackson ("Sam") Snead ( 1912 ? 2002). Sam Snead was one of the top golfers in the world for most of 4 decades. He and two others of the greatest golfers of all time, Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson, were born within 6 months of each other in 1912. He won a record 82 PGA Tour events and about 70 others worldwide. He won seven majors: three Masters, three PGA Championships and one British Open.

Snead was famed for his folksy image, wearing a straw hat and playing tournaments barefoot, and making such statements as "Keep close count of your nickels and dimes, stay away from whiskey, and never concede a putt." His nickname was "Slammin' Sammy."

Snead died May 23, 2002, 4 days before he was to celebrate his 90th birthday.

[ATTACH]2198[/ATTACH]

Robert Gordon "Bobby" Orr, OC (born March 20, 1948) is a retired Canadian ice hockey player. A defenceman, he is considered to be the greatest hockey player of all time.[1][2] He played his National Hockey League (NHL) career with the Boston Bruins, with the exception of two brief seasons with the Chicago Black Hawks.

Orr won two Stanley Cup championships with the Bruins in 1970 & 1972 and was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP both years. Winning a record eight Norris Trophies as the league's best defenceman, Orr is often credited for revolutionizing his position.[3] He remains the only defenceman to have won the league scoring title with two Art Ross Trophies and holds the record for most points and assists in a single-season by a defenceman.

[ATTACH]2199[/ATTACH]

Bryan Bartlett "Bart" Starr (born January 9, 1934 in Montgomery, Alabama) is a former professional American football player and coach.[1] Wearing #15, he was the quarterback for the Green Bay Packers (1956-1971) and the MVP of the first two Super Bowls. He earned four Pro Bowl selections and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977.[1]

As Vince Lombardi's quarterback, Starr's Packers won NFL Championships in the 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1967 seasons. Following the NFL championships in 1966 and 1967, he led the Packers to convincing victories over the champions of the rival AFL in the first two Super Bowls and was named the Most Valuable Player of both games. He is the only player to quarterback a team to five NFL championships.[2]

ric flair_thumb.jpg

Richard Morgan Fliehr [3] (born February 25, 1949)[3] better known by his ring name, Ric Flair, is a retired professional wrestler. Also known as "The Nature Boy," Flair is the greatest professional wrestler in the world.

Flair is recognized by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) as a 16-time World Heavyweight Champion (8-time NWA Champion, 6-time WCW Champion, and 2-time WWE Champion) although his actual tally of World Championship reigns varies by source - some totaling as high as 22. In World Championship Wrestling (WCW), he also had two stints as a booker?from 1989?1990 and again in 1994.[5] Flair also won the 1992 Royal Rumble and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008. Flair ended his 36-year career in 2008 at WrestleMania XXIV.

this_is_my_story

Being a midfielder, he was my footballing hero as I grew up. Classy individual and rarely seemed to break a sweat. Also scored one of my favourite ever goals at Hampden. Top, top player and right up there with Maradone and Pele, imo.

That picture of Ali flooring Liston is utterly brilliant, one of the best sporting photos of all time, in my opinion.

Maybe not a 'sporting hero' of mine, but I always liked this guy - and when he won Wimbledon, it was easily my favourite non-football sport moment ever. Goran wins Wimbledon!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
WADDLE_Chris_19930403_GH_L.jpg

Genius. My favourite English player ever. His couple of years at Wednesday were outstanding.

jamboinglasgow

footballing hero as he played beautiful football and turned Barcelona into the beautiful team they are now. May of gone crazy of late but there is no one like him.

cruyff.jpg

rugby hero, JJ. Was my fav player when I was very young.

jeffrey.jpg

rowing, it has to be Sir Steve, I know some hate him but what he has done is incrediable, five gold medals are not easy and a fantastic rower. (closely followed by Matt Pinsent and the legend that is Andy Hodge.

Steve_Redgrave.jpg

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Ronaldo%2520Brazil%2520Shirt.jpg

The best finisher in football ever IMO. I really hope he can continue ANOTHER remarkable comeback and make it to the World Cup in 2010. 5 goals in 7 comeback matches for Corinithians proves he still got it, with Dunga adding he only has to do it over a few months and he'll be back in the international squad.

O Fen?meno

blondejamtart

Most of mine would probably be motorsport-related - glad to see someone's already mentioned Jim Clark, but I'd also have to go for Ayrton Senna. Loads of rallying ones too - Hannu Mikkola, Ari Vatanen, Carlos Sainz, Juha Kankunnen and Sebastien Loeb, with special mentions to the late Richard Burns and Colin McRae.

Archived