What about a British league, and where would we be in it?

tartofmidlothian

If we were in the English League we would never be able to sing the Europe song again, we would never be off to Basel, Paris, Sarajevo or Prague to see the JTs compete in Europe ever again.

very very good point

kingantti1874
If we were in the English League we would never be able to sing the Europe song again, we would never be off to Basel, Paris, Sarajevo or Prague to see the JTs compete in Europe ever again.

we are not exactly competing in this fashion year in year out though...when was the last time we had a semi-decent run?? pre vlad......and is it worth watching us against the motherwells, killies and st middens of the world just 2 achieve 2 or 3 away games?

i have no doubt we could get into the top tier and face bigger clubs than any of those home and away..

wheatfield to sheffield

i have no doubt we could get into the top tier and face bigger clubs than any of those home and away..

It doesn't matter how big the opposition is - the point is that it is Hearts playing in Europe. I don't doubt that Portsmouth or Wolves are bigger teams than ** Zeljeznicar or Ferencvaros, but playing European opposition is so much bigger cheapies than playing English teams.

kingantti1874

WTS: Appreciate your point mate - and to be honest, if we could return to a competitive league who were able to attract and retain a good standard of player id agree with you...but even though the spl will be more competitive the standard will drop as we will find it harder to retain players than ever before.

Basically - the SPL could become a footballing backwater ala the irish and welsh leagues...

i think we need to embrace change, who knows how big we could become? blackburn won the prem....ipswich qualified for europe, hull who we pumped were very competitive for quite a while in the prem...why not hearts....i think we have the potential to qualify for europe ion a british league, not every year....but occasionally - why not...

ToadKiller Dog

What price would the english ask of us to let us in there league ,they dont need another middleing championship side,our support went up in 2005 because for a time we were challenging for throphies not because we had the prospect of playing Burnley or coventry city .

Its a wrong to presume we would suddenly have a massive incrrease in support ,Yes if we drew Man United/liverpool in the cup we could have large crowds at Murrayfield while the novelty was still strong .

After the novelty wore off we would be a middleing club with no real chance of europe or actually winning any silverware ,i expect our support would shrink to maybe a little bit more than current levels or levels that a sucsesful team in the Scottish league would sustain .

I want more than that ,i think a well run Hearts in Scotland can win things with or without the old firm ,A well run hearts on the odd occasion can have a decent europa cup run ,and who knows a few champions league games again one day.

kingantti1874

After the novelty wore off we would be a middleing club with no real chance of europe or actually winning any silverware ,i expect our support would shrink to maybe a little bit more than current levels or levels that a sucsesful team in the Scottish league would sustain .

sorry but think smacks of being scared to face them-by this reasonining, wigan, hull, stoke, fulham, middlesborough are all bigger clubs than hearts with a bigger fanbase...absolute tosh man...the support is there, it is the drudgery of the spl that stifles our crowds, our income and the quality of the product- i go every week but to be honest i grudge paying approx ?400 to watch footballers who are not that much better than me..

no competition, poor standard, poor atmosphere and 100% focused on the west, that is the spl...

vote for change

Buffalo Bill
Hearts would do just fine in the mid to long term.

Short term might be more of a struggle, untill we were able to beef up our squad..

Once the extra revenue, bigger gates and such kicked in, we'd be at least a strong Championship side who flirted regularly with promotion, imo.

Don't forget, we have a unique selling point. We're based in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

People shouldn't underestimate what a draw that would be for prospective signings.

Good points.

Buffalo Bill

ToadKiller Dog

sorry but think smacks of being scared to face them-by this reasonining, wigan, hull, stoke, fulham, middlesborough

vote for change

No smacks of realism ,ask yourself why Peter Risdale only said he thought it would be a good idea to Invite the old firm ! He did not add Hearts onto that why was that as he sees no financial benefit with us,that they do not already have just another rival .

Why would they invite us into The EPL 2 or the championship ? and would they all sit still while we put our first few years of extra money into the structure of the club.

The pot in england is big but more teams means a smaller share they wont want that they reason the old firm would add more revenue ,at this time you cannot argue that hearts would or could .

If we were to get an invite it would be division 1 or 2 we could not make demands.Could we make the right investments at that level and satisfy the fans demands ?.

i think it may happen one day, more and more of the lower league clubs will disappear sadly in the current climate. a hearts team playing in the british league would attract big crowds in the 30,000 region in the first couple of years just because it's different. with the correct structure and right man at the helm the club could do very well. as previously stated we have a beautiful city and this attracts players.

kingantti1874

well i cant disagree that the sticking point is that why would english clubs want hearts, aberdeen, hibs or anyone else...your right - but maybe sky could make a british league an attractive proposition by ensuring revenues to not drop or even increase

as regards hearts filtering into league 1, id say fair enough...we wouldnt be in it for long....

i am 100% confident we would work our way up through the system.

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion - i may be right i may be wrong - call me an optimist if you like...but the only fact i can see at the moment is that the spl is finished, going nowhere with or without the Old Firm...we should be begging to get into a british league

Sydney from Sydney

When Levein was at Leicester he said Hearts were superior to most of the teams in The Championship and would be one of the contenders for promotion. Can't see us surviving in the EPL without a massive injection of cash, and a back seat for the mad bloke.

$ilvery_Moon

I watch Championship football week in week out. The current Hearts team would be mid to lower CCC but there is no reason after time why we couldn't compete at the other end.

Listening to talksport last night they had a chap on called Andrew Warsaw (I think that's his name). He is a football 'political' correspondent. He was basically said that under Article 80 of FIFA rules (not UEFA) that sucha move could never happen!!! He also stated what we have all said - why would Turkeys vote for Xmas?

kingantti1874

laws are there to be broken, sooner or later european football will be restrucured and fifa will have to comply...at the end of the day uefa hold most of the cards these days anyway.

as regards the vote, your right under current conditions no-one will vote for any change including the OF...but if someone made it finacially viable...all bets are off

Archived