Viking history

Boof

I descend from them apparently............if any right minded, uber-democratic organisation want to give me millions to return, i'd be tempted:sorcerer:

Mark_Mywords
Viking is a global company, established in 1960 and now present in over 16 countries worldwide.

We are part of Office Depot one of the largest suppliers of office stationery in the world.

:P

Viking International

1973 -

Viking Tyres (UK) Ltd in Didcot is established as the sole importer of the Viking Tyre brand in the UK.

1978 -

Birkenshaw Distributors Ltd is established in Glasgow to distribute tyres to independent retailers and Smiley Tyres & Exhausts in Scotland.

1980 -

Birkenshaw Distributors Ltd is renamed Birkenshaw International and commences distributing Gislaved tyres in Scotland and uniquely expands product offerings to include exhaust systems, brake parts and shock absorbers.

1983 -

Birkenshaw International acquires a Preston based wholesaler.

1986 -

Viking Tyres (UK) Ltd acquires Liverpool based wholesaler, Northern Tyre Service and also secures sole UK distribution of Gislaved. Birkenshaw International commences trading with Viking Tyres UK Ltd and secures exclusive Gislaved Distributorship in Scotland.

1988 -

East Midland Tyre Company, a regional tyre wholesaler based in Desborough Northamptonshire is acquired by Viking Tyres UK Ltd.

1990 -

Birkenshaw International opens a warehouse in Liverpool.

1991 -

Birkenshaw International is the first UK wholesaler to sell car tyres with a Lifetime Guarantee.

1992 to 1997 -

Birkenshaw International further expands to include warehouses in Edinburgh, Manchester & Gateshead.

1998 -

Tyre Expert is launched in the UK, jointly administered by Birkenshaw International and Viking Tyres UK Ltd.

1999 -

Viking Tyres (UK) Ltd sells 1,000,000 tyres in a single trading year and extends its warehousing by 30,000 sq.ft. by opening a new site near Tonbridge (Kent).

2000 -

Viking Tyres (UK) Ltd merges with Birkenshaw International creating Viking International, a truly national wholesaler, and now the largest tyre and automotive component wholesaler in the U.K. Viking International offers a wide range of tyres, exhausts, brakes and shock absorbers from all warehouses.

2001 -

Viking International employs over 250 personnel and operates 100 vans from its eight warehouses, offering not only a next day service, but up to three deliveries per day in some areas.

2002 -

2002 - Axle Group Holdings purchases Viking International from the Continental Group.

2005 –

Warehouse capacity at Viking International’s Tonbridge depot was doubled to 70,000 tyres.

2006 –

Viking International’s operations structure is revised to provide an even better delivery service.

2006 –

Viking International re-launches new improved Millennium tyres especially designed for the high performance market.

Yeah I'm descended from them too. I'm the result of raping and pillaging.

It makes you proud don't it?! :wink::torture:

Ray Winstone
Any JKBers up on Viking history?

Did a term of it when I was in 1st year at Uni.

They came they say they kick ass, along with raping and pilagine (sp). Been to York a few times excellent museum down there also the castle and heritage sites are pretty dam good for learning.

Denny Crane

What is it you want to know?

portobellojambo1

Nope. Probably something I should take some interest in though, given that there is a more than fair chance my ancestors way back came from that neck of the woods, and if they were involved in raping and pillaging I hope they had a damned good time of it.

Viking Fotballklubb is a Norwegian football club from the city of Stavanger. The club was founded in 1899 as football was becoming increasingly popular. It is one of the most successful clubs in Norwegian football, having won 8 Norwegian Premier Football League titles, most recently in 1991, and 5 domestic cup titles, most recently in 2001. The club has played and won more top-flight league games than any other club, and it has played in the top division since the league was established, except for the years 1966-67 and 1987-88. Notable European successes include knocking English giants Chelsea out of the UEFA Cup during the 2002-03 season, knocking out Sporting Portugal from the same tournament in 1999-2000, and qualifying for the group stages of the UEFA Cup 2005-06.

What is it you want to know?

Just wondering about some of the characters in the sagas...and no thanks, JKB comedians, I don't want a series of links to holiday provision for OAPs. :D

They own three days of the week Odins day thors day and freia day

Saturn the sun got the weekend with the moon getting a day which just leaves

Chewsday named after a star wars character:56:

Nope. Probably something I should take some interest in though, given that there is a more than fair chance my ancestors way back came from that neck of the woods, and if they were involved in raping and pillaging I hope they had a damned good time of it.

That'll explain your blond hair !

e.g. Bjarni Herjulfson, Leif Erickson, his brother Thorvald...

How come I think you know the answers to your question already Boof. Kind of thing a school teacher does. :56:

How come I think you know the answers to your question already Boof. Kind of thing a school teacher does. :56:

A simple Google search throws up their names - I was wondering if anyone had a deeper level of knowledge of them and their kinfolk.

Boof,

What do you want to debate?

Have you read "The Northern Crusades" by Eric Christiansen?

NOt really Viking I suppose, but kinda related.

Or are you wanting debate about Guthrum and Danelaw etc or how your neck of the woods relates to Scotland/UK in a viking sort of way?

Top folk though the Norsemen (see what I did there?).

Tony Curtis and monoeyed Kirk D were tops too.... ;-)

Vikings are cool though, and well worthy of debate!

portobellojambo1
That'll explain your blond hair !

My younger brother was blond, I say was, he now has the same hair colouring as myself (and you), I think it is termed natural (although some use the word bald for some reason).

Not so much debate, Boris, I'm just trying to find out a bit more about some of the historical figures - real or imaginary.

There's a lot of hoo-hah spoken about the warrior types amongst them but I was just wondering about the more scholarly, learned types.

And if a JKBer had studied Viking history they could've pointed me in a better direction than random-ish Google searches. Or possibly a librarian with a History background...?

Not so much debate, Boris, I'm just trying to find out a bit more about some of the historical figures - real or imaginary.

There's a lot of hoo-hah spoken about the warrior types amongst them but I was just wondering about the more scholarly, learned types.

And if a JKBer had studied Viking history they could've pointed me in a better direction than random-ish Google searches. Or possibly a librarian with a History background...?

I think that the difficulty is that the Vikings have been given a bad press, courtesy of the likes of the Venerable Bede etc but Guthrum may be a place to start.

I suppose Norse myths may also be a starting point regarding culture but, Lief Ericson apart, the main characters elude me....

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

The owner of the Cabin Hearts flag has some sort of Viking heritage, although he is no Ernest Borgnine !!!

borgnine18_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'm descended from them too. I'm the result of raping and pillaging.

Cat, me too - it was basically the "Club 18 - 30" holiday at the time.

Doctor FinnBarr

I've been to Jarlshof, Maeshow(sp) and Vikingaar plus I've seen the Jarl Squad at the Simmer Dim.

:sorcerer:

Carl Weathers

My surname is decended from Norway, although it has changed quite a bit over the years (dropped the 'son at the end). Most people with my surname live in Orkney and Shetland.

I could probably pass as Nordic. :sorcerer:

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Vikings.

Tommy Wiseau

Don't know much about Vikings, but the Jorvik Centre is off the hook imo.

Archived