What next, the world?

speedbump

how dare this infectiously enthusiatic man with such a great wealth of knowledge of football and multiple cultures around the world presume to speak out about the ills of scottish football. he should be made to learn his place as a visitor to these great shores, he's not one of us.

most probably.

Who was the **** who said Laszlo probably couldn't speak English?

Seems to me he knows a lot more about the Scottish game than 99% of the incumbent puckwits.

marshallschunkychicken
while only one club, Rangers, has reached the Uefa Cup final.

That will p*** off the sellick fans.

Excellent. :laugh:

jamboinglasgow

very wise words from Csaba and one that should be listened to.

I think Scottish football need someone from outside Scotland to come in and change to be better (someone as well traveled as Csaba, possibly from Holland.) The SFA is dragging its feet and though they say they are investigating improving the game I will not congraulate them until it is examined, implented and actually improved.

Drylaw Hearts

2 teams in the last 6 years have qualified for the UEFA Cup final - that is not too shabby.

IIRC.....it was back in 1987 when a Scottish Club last got that far and god knows when before that.

As for the NT....Scotland have suffered due to the break up of a few countries over the years diluting the chances of qualifying as a runner-up.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

If only our Scottish managers had the vision, knowledge and ambition of Laszlo, we may have a more forward thinking league.

Unfortunately, the league is full of scrotes like Calderwood who wouldn't dare challenge the Old Firm and are too set in their ways to improve the quality of football in this country.

Needless to say, his comments wont go down well.

H J Simpson

Step forward Alex Smith to tell Jonny Foreigner to mind his own business and that Largs is the place people want to get their blue peter, I mean coaching badges from.

2 teams in the last 6 years have qualified for the UEFA Cup final - that is not too shabby.

IIRC.....it was back in 1987 when a Scottish Club last got that far and god knows when before that.

As for the NT....Scotland have suffered due to the break up of a few countries over the years diluting the chances of qualifying as a runner-up.

I agree with everything you've said the Drylaw, I think we're sometimes hard on ourselves and especially the national team. I actually think we're better than we think we are and sometimes that's to our downfall (Burley's defensive tactics against teams i think we should play football against).

We DO need to improve drastically however.

Someone said on another thread that other similar sized nations seem to produce atleast one or 2 top players per generation. Norway with Carew and Riise are a good example as are Sweden with Larsson and Ibrahimovic (sp!). Other than I'd say Craig Gordon, we don't have anyone near the same class as these boys (yeh, D Fletcher is good, as is Hutton, but not top top players imo)

An overhall of the youth system is required. Hearts seem very outward looking and i think Csaba will help, but the SFA make noises. Every few years we hear that it starts with 8 yearolds so we'll see come 10-12 years. But that's not our problem. Scotland have always had one of the best national teams up to about the ages of 17/18. Then it goes teets up for us

What we need is better coaching of 16-20 yearolds to make sure they develop what they need for the bog step and this doesnt happen at all

I think that's what Csaba is on about and a competitive u19 and u23 league is maybe the way to do it - along with reviewing our whole outlook on coaching. We need to get away from the good, honest Scottish laddie pish cos it's so antiquated and holds us back. More technical and tactical awareness needs focussed on and less physical and aggressive

jamboinglasgow
I agree with everything you've said the Drylaw, I think we're sometimes hard on ourselves and especially the national team. I actually think we're better than we think we are and sometimes that's to our downfall (Burley's defensive tactics against teams i think we should play football against).

We DO need to improve drastically however.

Someone said on another thread that other similar sized nations seem to produce atleast one or 2 top players per generation. Norway with Carew and Riise are a good example as are Sweden with Larsson and Ibrahimovic (sp!). Other than I'd say Craig Gordon, we don't have anyone near the same class as these boys (yeh, D Fletcher is good, as is Hutton, but not top top players imo)

An overhall of the youth system is required. Hearts seem very outward looking and i think Csaba will help, but the SFA make noises. Every few years we hear that it starts with 8 yearolds so we'll see come 10-12 years. But that's not our problem. Scotland have always had one of the best national teams up to about the ages of 17/18. Then it goes teets up for us

What we need is better coaching of 16-20 yearolds to make sure they develop what they need for the bog step and this doesnt happen at all

I think that's what Csaba is on about and a competitive u19 and u23 league is maybe the way to do it - along with reviewing our whole outlook on coaching. We need to get away from the good, honest Scottish laddie pish cos it's so antiquated and holds us back. More technical and tactical awareness needs focussed on and less physical and aggressive

good post.

I do think there is a lot we can do. There are three levels of how we do it.

The first, easiest but least effective is to give clubs some money specificly to develop a youth system and hands off.

The Second is the hardest and most comprehensive. A joint measure between government, SFA, clubs and people. Taken as a major task to improve the nations health by cutting obesity and also give kids something to do. Large programs giving many children a chance to play sport and learn key skills from an early age. This could improve a lot of Scottish sport. It would also mean that kids have the correct football basic and some more advanced skills from an early age which youth teams and clubs could build on. However to get so many organisations and a country behind such an action is almost near impossible.

The third still requires good effort from many parties but can be achieved. That is to rip up the current systems and the SFA in partnership with the clubs try to create a system that works. That means gaining experts to help oversee this, and I mean people from outside Scotland. Considering changing football to summer so that it allows youth football when the weather is usually better.

I think Hearts under Csaba with others being a bit delayed mean that we should be leaps ahead of other SPL teams and their youth development in a few years. The scotland team may be a bit barren at the moment of players of the maroon persuasion but it is only temporary and had a look at the lower age groups of the Scotland teams and there are quite a few start to fill up the lower groups (which are usually full of the OF for no other reason than they are OF players.)

I remember when I was younger and then there was only pinkie and the brain that were prepared to take on the world!!!!

Archived