Westburn (near westerhailes)

Greedy_Jambo

Greedy_Jambo

I'm moving there in a couple of weeks. Not a bad wee cul de sac but i know the surrounding area's are a bit iffy (westerhailes & calder)

I wouldn't mind hearing peoples opinions/stories/views on the area.

Any Jambos stay in Westburn or there about?

The newer houses are quite nice. The area isn't that bad. It's like any housing scheme if you want trouble you can find it. I stay near there and I have never had trouble up here. Once you close your door, you could be anywhere mate.

Greedy_Jambo
The newer houses are quite nice. The area isn't that bad. It's like any housing scheme if you want trouble you can find it. I stay near there and I have never had trouble up here. Once you close your door, you could be anywhere mate.

Nice to know m8. Ive been staying in sighthill the last few months and its been a complete nightmare. Trouble just comes a calling.

Before that i've stayed in East calder most of my life and had no problems at all.

Greedy_Jambo
The surrounding areas are not any more "iffy" than westburn is.

Thats worrying.

Thats worrying.

Dont worry mate, I stay in Murrayburn, its just that Westburn is pretty much the same.

You get your usual widoes at the weekends but you do in most places anyway.

I have not heard of much trouble in Sighthill, what sort of stuff did you encounter there?

Greedy_Jambo
Dont worry mate, I stay in Murrayburn, its just that Westburn is pretty much the same.

I have not heard of much trouble in Sighthill, what sort of stuff did you encounter there?

It started with a phone call from a neighbour saying that there was people in the garden looking at my bike... Although at the time i didn't think much of it... maybe they were just admiring it... but what the hell where they doing standing in the my garden!

a few weeks later my bike was stolen... luckily the police got a phone call from someone in the next street saying it had been dumped in there garden! Our dog barking must of lead them to stash it and bolt.

2 weeks after that my g/f tells me that someone has just walked past the side window looking dodgy... i go straight out to find him trying to hot wire my bike!!

About a month later i get my first car.. after only having it a couple of weeks we hear a loud bang outside.. i go out into the street and there's a plank of wood lying in the street and a huge dent in the back of the car.

Lovely place to live.

i would'nt really class westburn as a different area to sighthill. i think your experiences are not based on the area of sighthill but rather the street.

It started with a phone call from a neighbour saying that there was people in the garden looking at my bike... Although at the time i didn't think much of it... maybe they were just admiring it... but what the hell where they doing standing in the my garden!

a few weeks later my bike was stolen... luckily the police got a phone call from someone in the next street saying it had been dumped in there garden! Our dog barking must of lead them to stash it and bolt.

2 weeks after that my g/f tells me that someone has just walked past the side window looking dodgy... i go straight out to find him trying to hot wire my bike!!

About a month later i get my first car.. after only having it a couple of weeks we hear a loud bang outside.. i go out into the street and there's a plank of wood lying in the street and a huge dent in the back of the car.

Lovely place to live.

Jeez o, not very shy eh.

Was it kids like or older folk? You'll be fine in Westburn I reckon though. What part of it is it your moving to?

heartsfc_fan
I'm moving there in a couple of weeks. Not a bad wee cul de sac but i know the surrounding area's are a bit iffy (westerhailes & calder)

I wouldn't mind hearing peoples opinions/stories/views on the area.

Any Jambos stay in Westburn or there about?

Not being cheeky...but why are you moving?

Greedy_Jambo

Im moving cos im staying with the g/f and her mum & brother at the moment.

We just had a wee girl and its time to get the F out of here!!

We managed to get a mortgage to buy a 3 bedroom in westburn. I wont say were about in westburn because im not really wanting followed by the idiots that have stole my motorbike and smashed my car in the past.

Not that i think i was targeted or anything. We do live on a street down from a pub and the crap that happened always happened at the weekend. Plus i don't know anybody here. Saying that ... My g/f thinks she's seen the guy staying above us hanging around with the guy i caught trying to steal my bike. Who knows.

Jambo Forever

I used to hang around in westburn for a few years, mainly because a few guys in my football team stayed there. At that time it wasn't the best place to live. There was constant fighting between westburn and surrounding areas. The centre and mace were the places to dodge late at the weekends. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad anymore.

Guest juvehearts

geezo guys give the laddie a break.

its not THAT bad ffs.

ive lived in wester hailes comming up for 10 years now, i have lived in niddrie,pilton,drylaw,telford,east craigs, whitburn,calders & now reside in murrayburn, right next to the centre.

as far as trouble is conserned, hear no evil see no evil.

you are comming to a place that boasts a shopping mall, its own bus station, train station & taxi rank. you can get into the heart of edinburgh within 17 mins on the hourly milk train from glasgow central.

it has its own bingo hall & bookmakers, you can get your hair cut, shop in 3 supermarkets ( iceland, Lidl & farmfoods) & buy clothes from a retail outlet (ethil Austin) which is great for getting your bairns clothes outta. & it has its own market. bargin shops with a poundstore & poundstreacthers plus its own local butcher. we have a bank & a post office. not forgetting haddow's & the **** shop ...............bright house.

Wester Hailes has its own High School & a community Swimming pool (great for the kid BTW) and a local Libary, up here we have a health centre & a dentist.

people are quick to point out the negitives of wester hailes but forget that all they have on their doorstep.

Juve.

its not THAT bad ffs.

ive lived in wester hailes comming up for 10 years now, i have lived in niddrie,pilton,drylaw,telford,east craigs, whitburn,calders & now reside in murrayburn, right next to the centre.

you are comming to a place that boasts a shopping mall, its own bus station, train station & taxi rank. you can get into the heart of edinburgh within 17 mins on the hourly milk train from glasgow central.

it has its own bingo hall & bookmakers, you can get your hair cut, shop in 3 supermarkets ( iceland, Lidl & farmfoods) & buy clothes from a retail outlet (ethil Austin) which is great for getting your bairns clothes outta. & it has its own market. bargin shops with a poundstore & poundstreacthers plus its own local butcher. we have a bank & a post office. not forgetting haddow's & the **** shop ...............bright house.

Wester Hailes has its own High School & a community Swimming pool (great for the kid BTW) and a local Libary, up here we have a health centre & a dentist.

people are quick to point out the negitives of wester hailes but forget that all they have on their doorstep.

Juve.

The Place per chance:th_love:

Well... Forrester Park has its own Funeral Home.

My Left Nut

Well I moved to the calders (in the high tise flats) about 8 months ago and I have had no problems apart from the bloke upstairs blairing his music once in a blue moon, It can get a bit iffy but if you keep yourself to yourself nobody bothers you.

At the end of the day when your door is closed you could be anywhere.

You will be fine bud don't worry bout it.

Lived in Forrester Park for the last 10 years but i grew up and lived in the Calders 25 years previously.

Great memories of growing up there but i honestly couldn`t say what it`s like nowadays as i only pass-by now and again. The Calders back in the day was a good place(and may still be, i don`t know?). The Calders had a great community feel about it when i was growing up but like anywhere it had it`s bampots but they we`re luckily in the minority.

I often bump into old friends of my own and my older cousins and Brother`s friends too(usually when we`re peshed!) who grew up there and there`s not a bad word to say about it.

Main thing is though, good Hearts area bar the odd bit of ve rm in about.:sorcerer:

Gavsy Van Gaverson
i would'nt really class westburn as a different area to sighthill. i think your experiences are not based on the area of sighthill but rather the street.

Spot on. He stayed on Sighthill View if I remember correctly, which is probably the busiest street in Sighthill and the one most folk would walk through to get to Calder, Wester Hailes etc. This would inlcude pelnty of undesirables heading back to those places after picking up their script at the Health Centre.

I'd much rather stay in Sighthill than Westburn to be honest. I stayed in Sighthill for around 25 years and had no problems at all. Westburn is ned central.

bavariajambo
Im moving cos im staying with the g/f and her mum & brother at the moment.

We just had a wee girl and its time to get the F out of here!!

We managed to get a mortgage to buy a 3 bedroom in westburn. I wont say were about in westburn because im not really wanting followed by the idiots that have stole my motorbike and smashed my car in the past.

Not that i think i was targeted or anything. We do live on a street down from a pub and the crap that happened always happened at the weekend. Plus i don't know anybody here. Saying that ... My g/f thinks she's seen the guy staying above us hanging around with the guy i caught trying to steal my bike. Who knows.

I grew up in the Calders and moved to Sighthill View with my parents as a young teenager, my parents still live there and when I do get back across I have seen it has changed since I moved away, but I would class Sighthill the same as Westburn mate, both are housing estates and the unfortunate thing for Sighthill is it is slap bang in the middle of Wester Hailes and the Sighthill Health Centre/Shopping Centre where all the idiot neds go for there fix, unfortunately it is today's culture in this area, as for your bike/car incident, that could happen anywhere mate Westburn, Sighthill, East Craigs etc people are just jealous of people with things better than they have!

its not THAT bad ffs.

Juve.

The shopping mall is one of the funniest places I've ever been in.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

A shopping mall it isn't. It's a Plaza.

:biggrin:

Greedy_Jambo

The plaza is awful man. I sometimes go to Lidl (i used to live off lidl when i stayed in holland, the funny thing is they sell exactly the same stuff no matter what country your in) but there's nothing worth buying in the actual centre! I go to tesco in hermiston gate for my shopping or if im feeling like getting the hell out of edinburgh i go to morrisons in livingston. A lot of people love staying in the town or near abouts.. I don't.

Archived