up there with Everton v Liverpool 88, 89 FA Cup game?

Debut 4

This one is for the older heads. There`s been many legendary games on tele over the years but one that has always stayed with me was the 4-4 draw between the Scouser sides in the FA Cup back in the late 80`s.

What a game it was. Tonights CL game with Chelski and Liverpool reminded me of it in the way there was no let up of attacking football, there wasn`t one moment in the game that it took a breather.

Don`t know if anyone agrees with the comparison but tonights game deserves to be placed up there with being one of the most memorable games.

Doesn`t happen often these days with more emphasis on tactics etc..

shaun.lawson

It's up there, certainly. I favour the game you're thinking of from 1991, though (one of Dalglish's last as manager: he quit after Everton won the replay 1-0) - because that was a one-off tie... um, albeit one which finished level. Tonight's match, astonishing though it was, wasn't even to begin with: Chelsea started two goals ahead, and finished two goals ahead.

Certainly the most exhilarating top level game of recent years though - probably since Istanbul.

It's up there, certainly. I favour the game you're thinking of from 1991, though (one of Dalglish's last as manager: he quit after Everton won the replay 1-0) - because that was a one-off tie... um, albeit one which finished level. Tonight's match, astonishing though it was, wasn't even to begin with: Chelsea started two goals ahead, and finished two goals ahead.

Certainly the most exhilarating top level game of recent years though - probably since Istanbul.

Thanks for puting me right SL. When i thought about it after it couldn`t have been 1989 as both Liverpool and Everton got to the semis and i didn`t think it was earlier than 88.

It was just one of those games that put you through it all even as a neutral and Istanbul done that too. Both Everton and Liverpool were cracking sides then aswell.

shaun.lawson
Thanks for puting me right SL. When i thought about it after it couldn`t have been 1989 as both Liverpool and Everton got to the semis and i didn`t think it was earlier than 88.

It was just one of those games that put you through it all even as a neutral and Istanbul done that too. Both Everton and Liverpool were cracking sides then aswell.

I have the most wonderfully random memory of sitting watching the highlights of that game on Sportsnight while eating a Marks and Spencers Deep Filled Cottage Pie, and listening to Barry Davies going completely mental. "Cottee... UNBELIEVABLE!" It was, as they say across the pond, a game for the ages.

Walter Bishop
This one is for the older heads. There`s been many legendary games on tele over the years but one that has always stayed with me was the 4-4 draw between the Scouser sides in the FA Cup back in the late 80`s.

What a game it was. Tonights CL game with Chelski and Liverpool reminded me of it in the way there was no let up of attacking football, there wasn`t one moment in the game that it took a breather.

Don`t know if anyone agrees with the comparison but tonights game deserves to be placed up there with being one of the most memorable games.

Doesn`t happen often these days with more emphasis on tactics etc..

1991 - Dalglish's last game?

jamboinglasgow

saw something that today that had the top five 4-4 games. Was surprised to not see Hearts 4-4 Hibs from a few seasons ago there. One of the most exciting and best matches I have been to.

shaun.lawson
saw something that today that had the top five 4-4 games. Was surprised to not see Hearts 4-4 Hibs from a few seasons ago there. One of the most exciting and best matches I have been to.

I've been to two 4-4 games. In one, Norwich managed to blow a 4-2 lead away to Charlton in the final five minutes against ten men! And in the other... well, we all know the rest! :sorcerer:

I sure as heck know which one I prefer...

shaun.lawson
1991 - Dalglish's last game?

Almost, Jamie. After the 4-4, Liverpool lost 3-1 at Kenilworth Road in the league (those were the days, eh? They always had problems at Luton for some reason), then the replay 1-0 at Anfield. Then Dalglish quit, to everyone's amazement. I've always thought what he went through in the aftermath of Hillsborough probably had a lot to do with it.

Archived