Nothing To Fear from the Old Firm

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Tell you what, they were mince today and if we had kept the pressure up in the second half we could have had 3 or 4 off them. Unfortunately, we sat back and settled for the point but it's a good point none the less.

Can we make a title challenge next season? I think we can. A few good signings in pre season and we will be right in about it, imo. Rangers and Sellick won't be spending big bucks so the league may be decided on who has the most capable manager and I really think Laszlo is miles better than the other two.

I think the Glasgow fear factor is all but gone, we have a great team spirit and a few very good players.

Real chance next season lads.

Hopefully Celtic can spend a wee bit more this summer on more signings like Loovens and Hesselink- both garbage today (despite Vinegar's goal).

I think with Elliot getting tired our main attacking threat was gone which is a bit disappointing. I hope this area will be strengthened next season as Csaba was suggesting with the transfer market talk, I assume. Tullberg doesn't yet look the part (but deserves some time to prove himself) and Nade's been somewhat disappointing to say the least.

Good shout.

Celtic were more of a threat when Nakadiver came on. And he'll hopefully be away home in the summer.

With the belief, a 20 goal a season striker and some consistency away from home we could be up there next season.

shaun.lawson

There is a chance, yes. In my opinion, much more in terms of 2nd place than 1st: Rangers have serious long term problems, while Celtic probably just need the impetus provided by a new manager to race away with it. But if Strachan stays, it could be tight in terms of the title race too; plus there's the prospect of Dundee United and Aberdeen taking points off the OF as well as us.

My doubts concern our notorious inability to put successful seasons together back to back, and the probability of us having to bring in very cheap players during the summer. The days of UBIG funding us externally look to be long gone - and we probably ought to remember that Romanov's stated objectives now involve us developing and selling players a lot more than winning something. But we have a rapidly improving side, and a gem of a manager for whom, in my view, Hearts is close to the perfect job. Many years back, when asked what was his ideal job in British football, Graeme Souness immediately replied: "Hearts". Why? Because it's a club with potential, decent expectation levels and the prospect of European football at least every other year; but nothing like the crazy expectancy and hothouse atmosphere which exists in Glasgow.

Some people have speculated that Csaba's exploits with us will have been noted by bigger clubs, and he'll be poached. I disagree. At present, wonderful though our improvement's been, he has Hearts merely where we're supposed to be. To be poached, he'll need to take us a lot further: to a real title challenge, or very significant run in Europe. And the chance of gradually reeling in two massively bigger clubs at a club where you're popular, and can slowly build your own team would appeal to a lot of managers. The SPL's not the madhouse that is the Championship, and may shortly not be anything like the plutocracy that is the EPL: it's different. It has its own rhythms and moods, and a club like Hearts can offer a manager like Csaba the opportunity to make a real name for himself.

Regardless - it's just wonderful that we can all sit here feeling so hopeful, and with so much to look forward to. Csaba and the team deserve all the praise going - they've given us our pride back, and then some. Long may it continue.

scots civil war

its a level playing field now,celtic are as bad as the huns.withy the current exodus to the epl and the crunch,the time is right close season for a serious campaign 09/10

hearts today filled the spaces and kept the continuity well

not too many rash challenges and that is a good sign ,hence not much given away to these *******s

id like csaba to play narrower up front,get obua and driver tucking in and taking the continuity up top as well

creating more stuff on the edge of the box

some serious quality in the final third and the weedgies are there for the taking imo

FTC

Harry Palmer

Both are crap.

I was extremely hacked off after watching those tramps score after 20 seconds and then had to inform the guy beside me of this when he arrived about a minute into the game.

We dominated the first half and then seemed somewhat afraid to change things in the 2nd half. That I think is where we may be lacking, at the moment we do not have the squad where we can bring players from the bench to change games, I think we do but today we did not or were unwilling to do so.

If we were to make a challenge, we need someone to score, someone in the middle and players we can bring from the bench to change a game if it's not working.

I'm not one to get too carried away/optimistic but as some of these players are unlikely to be available next season we should wait and see.

Anyway, there is nothing to fear.

Archived