Well Done East Stirling!

malcmac

East Stirling are abandoning the tradition of kicking the ball out when a player is down injured. I say, 'Well done!' For way to long, this "tradition" has been abused and I think it's about time someone came out and said publicly that opponents shouldn't expect it. It's up to the ref to stop the game and i wish we would ditch it too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/east_stirlingshire/7987524.stm

As long as teams give fair warning that they intend to do so then n one should have a problem with it.

Agreed, I just feel that not doing it is not open to any cheating at all.

Carrying it on, you get teams that are one up faking injury and teams that are one down not giving the ball back.

Too often in recent games we have seen it work against us. There has also been too much faking head injuries to get the play stopped and allow the opposition time to regoup. The refs have to be stronger and the rules changed, so that if you claim a head injury, then you must stay off the pitch for 5 min. This would be done for safety reasons and to allow the doc to make sure you are not going to collapse two min after you get up.

jambopompey

Terry christie done the same a few years ago.

It should be like it all the time, if you go down injured then you should be off the pitch for 3 minutes and a head knock for 5 minutes, this should cut out the fakes and blatant time wasting that all teams do

The Old Tolbooth

Had we not done it against Falkirk we may well have still been in the cup, those cheating barstewards were at it every 5 minutes and wasted half the match.

I disagree.

I think this is a bad thing. Just because your opponents behave like that is no reason for Hearts to come down to their level. It should not be considered the Heart of Midlothian way!

usually in the UK players do wait for the referee to give a decision on an injured player, and then return the ball. Just because some don't is no reason to st it ourselves.

Heart of Midlothian ought to have a better attitude than other clubs, it is the Hearts way.

vaders uncle

I have been a player of the egg shaped ball for all my life (high school upwards) and I am also a registered referee (schools rugby). When a player is injured be it a rub down with a wet sponge (not allowed now a days) or a head knock the physio goes onto the park whilst the play continues. It is only when it is a serious knock or if it is a member of the scrum is that time is switched off for treatment. What rips my knitting is namby pamby footballers who get a wee knock, roll over in agony and seconds later are running about as though they have had nothing wrong with them. I find it everso embarrassing when the hearts players do this and just wish that they would show more strength and character and get on with it.

Referees need to get a grip and get teams sorted when the blatently cheat like this. They go on about simulation when they go down in the goal, they should get a pink card shown to them for play acting. If a player is injured as bad as they make out with the rolling and the agony, they should go off the park.......I know this is not gonna happen but it is so annoying.

I have been a player of the egg shaped ball for all my life (high school upwards) and I am also a registered referee (schools rugby). When a player is injured be it a rub down with a wet sponge (not allowed now a days) or a head knock the physio goes onto the park whilst the play continues. It is only when it is a serious knock or if it is a member of the scrum is that time is switched off for treatment. What rips my knitting is namby pamby footballers who get a wee knock, roll over in agony and seconds later are running about as though they have had nothing wrong with them. I find it everso embarrassing when the hearts players do this and just wish that they would show more strength and character and get on with it.

Referees need to get a grip and get teams sorted when the blatently cheat like this. They go on about simulation when they go down in the goal, they should get a pink card shown to them for play acting. If a player is injured as bad as they make out with the rolling and the agony, they should go off the park.......I know this is not gonna happen but it is so annoying.

I think the physio coming on during live play would eradicate most of that. Along with a proper advantage rule, one of the things Rugby has got right.

The showing of a PINK card would have Hibs players rolling around every two mins

East Stirling are abandoning the tradition of kicking the ball out when a player is down injured. I say, 'Well done!' For way to long, this "tradition" has been abused and I think it's about time someone came out and said publicly that opponents shouldn't expect it. It's up to the ref to stop the game and i wish we would ditch it too!

I agree, there is nothing worse than being in a middle of a good attacking move and an opposition plyaer goes down and we are expected to end our play, only for at best us to get the ball back just outside our box - especially if you are one down, or it is a draw in a big game with a few minutes to go.

There is also the case when a team puts it out for their own player - and expect the ball back, even though the other team has not benefitted.

It should end now and I seem to remember Terry Christie said this when he was manager of various teams - he wrote to them at the start of the season advising they would not put the ball out for anyone and if they did for one of their own, they did not expect the ball back.

I disagree.

I think this is a bad thing. Just because your opponents behave like that is no reason for Hearts to come down to their level. It should not be considered the Heart of Midlothian way!

usually in the UK players do wait for the referee to give a decision on an injured player, and then return the ball. Just because some don't is no reason to st it ourselves.

Heart of Midlothian ought to have a better attitude than other clubs, it is the Hearts way.

We're not going down to anyones level, and I'd fully accept the consequences if other teams did the same. The only ones "going down to other teams level" are those rolling about so the ball gets put out when they;re one up with five to go. If we want to take the moral high ground, we need to stop our players doing that.

Couldn't agree more. It ****es me off having to kick the ball oot for injuries. Let the ref decide when the game stops.

Common sense should prevail I think.

There will inevitably be cases where it makes sense to knock the ball out due to a particularly bad challenge / knock. I think we all know the types of challenge that genuinely merit play being halted.

However it should never be a "given" that if someone goes down that play will be stopped.

Archived