Willie Miller's letter to Aberdeen Fans (Heart of Midlothian Content)

sked21

Say What Again
If all of our fans could react in the same manner as the 1,200 who were at the game against Hibs at Easter Road it would be a real asset

Surely some mistake? :56:

He must have missed a '1' off at the start. That'll be it. Everyone knows the sheep take at least 6000 to every game.

:th_love:

heartsfc_fan

Couldn't be bothered reading all that.

But basically the Aberdeen fans want too much - the glory days have gone...

next!

Many of you have asked the question; what is going on at Pittodrie?

I will also explain why it's vital that we stick together at this crucial stage of the campaign.

I will provide a summary of the work done over the last five years.

I've also given you details of how the club performed in the five years prior to that to help you fully understand what has happened at Pittodrie since 2004.

You are right to be furious that we lost at home to Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup. But I reckon our problems actually kicked off when we lost to Queen of the South last season. When we couldn't beat them to get to a cup final the enormity of that disappointment convinced me we could face problems this season. I knew the season was going to be a challenge on the back of that.I hoped that we might enjoy another good Scottish Cup run, perhaps get to a final, to put that ghost to bed.

The chances of that happening appeared good when the competition opened up spectacularly for us. I can imagine some fans booking their trips to the semi, or maybe even the final, early. It would have been disrespectful to Falkirk and Dunfermline, but I can understand the thought process. That's because it was going on in my mind as well. I looked at the draw and anticipated that we had a marvellous chance to make up for what happened a year ago. The fact that we didn't - and that we compounded the disappointment by again going out to lower league opposition - was devastating. I understand why the fans are so angry because I feel exactly the same. It's why I feel the need to speak to you today. Some people have questioned other things, such as quality of football and level of entertainment at games. But if they step back and look at things in the clear light of day - take a look at the facts and figures - they will see it's the extreme disappointment felt about our domestic cup performances that has sparked such a frenzied reaction.

It's what has prompted fans to send letters and express their anger and disappointment in a whole host of other ways. Unfortunately, we can't put that right this season now.

It is something we are going to have to make a priority next season, the reaction from our fans has made it blatantly clear that is what they want. But those cup defeats should not be allowed to cancel out all of the positive things done at the club over the last five years. I would also remind you that we still have a big target to go for this season - a place in Europe.

Before that we face the tough task of securing our place in the top six, we haven't done that yet. As far as the league goes, that is where we want to be every season.

If we want to be there this time we are going to have to deal with the disappointment felt about the cup defeat, no matter how hard that is. All of us have to find a way of focussing on what we have left to go for this season. We have a huge target to play for because making Europe, and the extra finance that could be gathered from a run similar to the one we enjoyed last season, would be a massive boost for the club.

It would also be some payback to the fans for the hurt felt because of our cup exits. That's what I've asked our manager to do. He is now doing all he can to get the team focussed on securing that top six place and claiming one of those European spots. But we are going to need every Aberdeen fan to the same because it's going to be nip and tuck, we are not the only club in with a chance of getting those places.

We face a real challenge over the next few weeks.

If we had lost in the cup to someone like Celtic or Rangers, rather than Dunfermline, I'm convinced our fans would have immediately turned their attention to helping us grab one of the European places via the league. It's important that they help us now because it would make a massive difference to our chances. If all of our fans could react in the same manner as the 1,200 who were at the game against Hibs at Easter Road it would be a real asset.

They got behind the team from start to finish and even gave the substitutes warming up behind the goal in front of them loads of encouragement. I can tell them that was greatly appreciated by the players and everyone else at the club. We know they could have reacted a lot differently because it was played so soon after the cup defeat.

We need the rest of the fans to stick by us now as well if we are to have a chance of getting the points we need to make the top six and maintain our challenge for Europe.

Would you prefer we just chucked that all away?

We need to stay together until the final point of the season. That is when we should all then sit back and look at what went on during the campaign. It's when we will make judgements and decide what we need to do to give us a better chance of making up for any disappointments.

The figures shown below give reassurance to the Aberdeen fans that their club will still actually be here in three years' time. We are all worried that might not be the case for a lot of other Scottish clubs. What we have done is ensure any extra money that was made over the last five years was put back in to prepare the club for coping with the bad times ahead.

The directors deserve credit for anticipating that.

Football is not immune from the credit crunch, but we are in good shape to survive and hopefully come out stronger at the end of it all. The players and other staff at Pittodrie won't have to worry if their wages will be paid into the bank. That's because we have done the sensible thing.

People within the football world know that, so it will help us when it comes to attracting other players in the future. That's why it annoys me when anyone points to Hearts as an example of how Aberdeen should be doing things as a club.

That is unfair.

As I pointed out, we have actually finished ahead of them in the SPL in three of the last four seasons.

Do the Aberdeen fans really want us to take their club down that route?

We have chosen a different road because we believe the Dons fans want their club to still be in existence in the tough years ahead. They also want it to be one that can still sustain a challenge in the cups and qualifying for Europe.

We have ensured that will be the case.

we believe the Dons fans want their club to still be in existence in the tough years ahead.

How ironic. Has nobody told the failed chip shop owner that sheep must sell Pit Tawdry by March 2011? After that, they're doomed. Fact. :sorcerer:

jamboinglasgow

Willie Miller has heard the fans and misunderstood what they are saying about us. What an idiot.

Hearts should release a t-shirt that has the calvin harris song lyrics on the front with Aberdeen splashed along the top. So it says "Aberdeen: you were good in the 80s." or some sort of thing.

Essentially he's saying that assuming the Hatkickers/Hobos darkest Administration/Doom and Gloom interpretation of events at Hearts is true the people running Aberdeen are doing really well in comparison so Dons fans should stop moaning.

There are a couple of flaws in that which I'd hope that Aberdeen Fans have the gumption to pick up on

No idea of whether Aberdeen are solvent or not, but that's a great letter from Willie Miller to the Aberdeen fans.

PS - Hearts have basically admitted that the Romanovs couldn't afford the speculate to accumulate model any more - so we are in a similar cost cutting/hope for cup runs and Europe sort of strategy too.

Ah, the old tick tock line eh?

I thought they were going to dissapear of the footballing planet due to their stadium being sold in a couple of years...or something along those lines?

What a stroker, ****** aberdeen and ****** willie miller.

So it says "Aberdeen: you were good in the 80s." or some sort of thing.

It's "acceptable in the 80s". And they weren't. Bunch of douchebags.

jamboinglasgow
Essentially he's saying that assuming the Hatkickers/Hobos darkest Administration/Doom and Gloom interpretation of events at Hearts is true the people running Aberdeen are doing really well in comparison so Dons fans should stop moaning.

There are a couple of flaws in that which I'd hope that Aberdeen Fans have the gumption to pick up on

I would agree, and I think out of the last four seasons where we have had managerial unrest and unstable politics in the club it is not much of an achievement that they have finished above us 3 out of the four years (hibs achieved that in half the years.)

4 posts and 38 minutes. You're getting slack.

Any chance of giving us some fresh, interesting, insight into this story and your fellow Dons' reaction to it?

Or are you just here to comment on our posts?

Commander Harris

excellent contribution.

are you buying Miller's cack?

The thing that got me is that he has blantantly fell into the trap of just guessing a large number for our debt. Just like most journo's in the country.

It was near ?40m, nowhere near that now......hopefully.

Nelly Terraces

We are laughing at your club.

You spend time on another teams forum, trolling round for comments. That's quite a sad existence really. Now I'm laughing at you as well.

'Ha. Ha.' - look I'm laughing. :sorcerer:

Goodbye.

The figures show we have worked hard to keep our finances in order. At all stages, we have made sure enough funds are directed into the football budget to deliver a competitive product on the park.

Financial Performance

Season

Net Profit/Loss Retained (?000s)

1999 (864)

2000 (3,307)

2001 (1,730)

2002 (1,053)

2003 (1,454)

TOTAL (8,408)

Season

Net Profit/Loss Retained (?000s)

2004 (646)

2005 130

2006 (146)

2007 62

2008 2,335

TOTAL 1,735

Thankfully, the other directors fully back this. Our record over the last five years shows we do the right things. We have managed to sustain a sensible football budget and competed at a high level in the league. It has worked because we enjoyed a good European run and got to two cup semi-finals, which brought in much-needed extra finance.

It also irritates me when people say we should make more money available for the manager to buy bigger-name players. If we bought a ?1m player, we would have to pay him a ?1m player's wage. It would end up costing the club more than ?2m for one player. The sensible Dons fans know that is something we just cannot do.

We are always endeavouring to get better players, but the manager knows that has to be done in a sensible fashion.

With the help of our scouting system, we are confident he will make more interesting signings. But it will never be at the cost of putting the club's financial position under threat. The fact we have sold some players over the last period as well has helped. The club didn't take in a major transfer fee for anyone in the five years prior to that. Stephen Glass, who went to Newcastle United for ?600,000, was the last one and that was outwith that period. We've since sold Russell Anderson for ?1m and gained decent fees for Michael Hart and Chris Clark. We also received almost as much for John Stewart, a reserve striker, as we paid out for Sone Aluko, a player who will eventually become a major star. Every effort is being made to ensure we have a strong squad without putting the club's long term future in jeopardy.

I would ask the fans to review all that I have just said and make up their own minds about whether what we are doing is right. I hope it will help them understand what is going on at their club. It's not about Willie Miller, Jimmy Calderwood or even Stewart Milne. Managers and Directors come and go, so take the personalities out of it. It's about being happy with where their club is at the moment and looking to the future.

The figures show we are on the right track.

Football Performance

Season    Pld Pts Pos LC SC
1999-2000 38  33  10th F  F
2000-2001 38  45  7th  3  4
2001-2002 38  55  4th  3  QF
2002-2003 38  49  6th  QF 4
2003-2004 38  34  11th QF QF

Season    Pld Pts Pos LC SC
2004-2005 38  61  4th 3  QF 
2005-2006 38  54  6th QF 4 
2006-2007 38  65  3rd 2  3 
2007-2008 38  53  4th SF SF 
2008-2009 30  44  4th 2  QF 

Season 1999-2000: Aberdeen finished in bottom place in the SPL with a record 83 goals conceded, while reaching two domestic finals.

Aberdeen have managed to reach 277 points in the last five season, including the current season which has still eight games to go, in comparison the previous five seasons only brought in 216 points in the SPL.

League Placings 2004 to Present in Comparison with Others

TEAM      05 06 07 08 09 [not yet complete] 
Aberdeen   4  6  3  4  4
Hearts     5  2  4  8  3
Hibernian  3  4  6  6  6
Dundee Utd 9  9  9  5  5
Motherwell 6  8  10 3  7
Kilmarnock 7  5  5  11 9 

Chad Sexington

Come on then.

Don't just creep around on here without adding your opinion on the state of your club.

Are you buying into what Miller says?

Do you want Tango to stay?

Are Duran Duran better than Culture Club?

Buffalo Bill

You should call someone that gives a ****.

yuppie80s.jpg

Buffalo Bill

hilarious.

so you think we're in a bad position eh? look!! look!! look over there, quick!! look at the terrible state that hearts are in. dinny bother that they're above us in the league just now, or have won a couple of trophies in the last decade or so, no no... the really really important thing to remember is that big old aberdeen have finished ahead of they bad boys in 3 out of the last 4 seasons. that means that we're bigger and better then thaim. so you can all shut yer holes right now 'cos i've just proved how magic we really are. they're going bust and we're no.

and for my next trick, i will magically make a stadium disappear overnight.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Do the Aberdeen fans really want us to take their club down that route?

We have chosen a different road because we believe the Dons fans want their club to still be in existence in the tough years ahead. They also want it to be one that can still sustain a challenge in the cups and qualifying for Europe.

We have ensured that will be the case.

There's a new phenomenon developing in the SPL - managers/chairmen/players hiding their own deficiencies by taking pot shots at HMFC.

Willie Miller - "my club's p!sh but, huv you heard, Hearts are gonna fold"

Levein/Calderwood etc etc - "we lost but, huv you heard, Hearts are a dull physical side who dive around and shame Scottish football"

Mixu - "Is this the job centre?"

Anyway, I hate Aberdeen and always have - the club and the city.

There's a new phenomenon developing in the SPL - managers/chairmen/players hiding their own deficiencies by taking pot shots at HMFC.

Willie Miller - "my club's p!sh but, huv you heard, Hearts are gonna fold"

Levein/Calderwood etc etc - "we lost but, huv you heard, Hearts are a dull physical side who dive around and shame Scottish football"

Mixu - "Is this the job centre?"

Anyway, I hate Aberdeen and always have - the club and the city.

it's a case of knowing and playing to your target audience, and in that respect miller is quite astute.

he obviously knows he can hoodwink his moronic supporters with ignorant fairy story suggestions of another club going bust while his club are (allegedly) run well.

they will swallow it easier than a mouthful of wool.

To cut a long story short, I lost my mind........................

If I were Willie Miller, I'd be thinking to myself that "I don't need this pressure on". :sorcerer:

If I were Willie Miller, I'd be thinking to myself that "I don't need this pressure on". :sorcerer:

Bravo:sorcerer:

jamboinglasgow
it's a case of knowing and playing to your target audience, and in that respect miller is quite astute.

he obviously knows he can hoodwink his moronic supporters with ignorant fairy story suggestions of another club going bust while his club are (allegedly) run well.

they will swallow it easier than a mouthful of wool.

it is not just Miller and the Dons.

My gers-mad flatmate said to me last week he feels that Murray used Fleck to stop pressure against him. He said it is funny that there was all the demands by the rangers fans and a few days later they started playing Fleck. Now he cant even get any time playing.

it is not just Miller and the Dons.

My gers-mad flatmate said to me last week he feels that Murray used Fleck to stop pressure against him. He said it is funny that there was all the demands by the rangers fans and a few days later they started playing Fleck. Now he cant even get any time playing.

yep.

i suppose they're all at it. this is where having 4 years of vlad under our belts comes in handy, it's ideal conditioning to accept nothing at face value.

The Comedian

Going by what Willie Miller has said, It can't be long before Aberdeen are having their accounts paraded around the Granite city on a celebratory open-top bus.

'Hey look, I know we're pish but we have a little more money now which, of course, we won't be spending'

Willie Miller = Cawk.

When they hand out big shiney trophies for the club with the best set of accounts we'll probably all stop watching this crazy sport, Real Madrid will be relegated, to div 17 and Queens Park will have a trophy cabinet the size of Hamden....what great entertainment though Willie...

Toxteth O'Grady

Shaddupya face:qqb016:

8 games in Europe last season and only 1 victory, fantastic :sorcerer: no word about the sheeps debt though??

carry on greeting ya plank :42:

If you're going to try and deflect attention away from your own inadequacies Willie, you might want to think it through a bit more carefully. What a plank. I'd be very surprised if any of their fans are appeased by this, it could well turn out to be a leap out of the frying pan into the fire.

ToadKiller Dog
T-shirts with "You were acceptable in the 80's" would be funny (maybe)

or ones saying Wullie

says

relax

Nookie Bear
That's why it annoys me when anyone points to Hearts as an example of how Aberdeen should be doing things as a club.

What buffoon has seriously suggested ANY club should be run like Hearts????

What an absolute **** he is.

Using our club for point scoring against his own slum-dwelling northern ***** fans.

Not famous, not big.

Nelly Terraces

Watch yer back Wullie, those crazed 'Ultras' don't look too chuffed with your rallying call to the Coddie troops!

Gulp.

kajagoogoo.jpg

Archived