Coventry to make 2mill bid for Driver.

Dr. Bapswent

I would take it as long as there was a hefty sell-on clause included...

Buffalo Bill

Whether it's Coventry, Wolves, Reading or Birmingham City: Driver will be punted as soon as.

One day Eggert will be sold. And Lee Wallace and Gary Glen.

This I why I sit in Row 28 of the Wheatfield. It stops me getting too close.

Buffalo Bill

would i be greedy if i said hes worth about 4 mill, even if its 3 mil with add ons?

IMO he is a massive potiential, shame about him being so one sided though. With a better right foot he could go on to great things.

I think he would be keen to go south.

sandy hearts
2 million is a joke

If Stewart Downing is worth more than 15 million

Well...

Thats actually a good point. Stewart 'i'm going to kick it past you and chase it' downing is afast and got and end product.

driver is similar but has a few tricks up his sleave aswell

In the current climate that would be a fantastic price for Driver.

We would miss him though - the only player in our side with pace.

Thats actually a good point. Stewart 'i'm going to kick it past you and chase it' downing is afast and got and end product.

driver is similar but has a few tricks up his sleave aswell

Hmmm.............to be honest Sandy, I think many neutrals might actually see that the other way round !

I've seen AD have some great games, but I've also seen him waste 99% of the ball in others. Now most folk will tell you that wingers are, by nature, infuriatingly erratic and you just have to accept that. He has genuine pace for sure but IMO he really has to improve his 'shot selection' and the accuracy of his final ball before he starts to attract real money.

$ilvery_Moon
It'll take more than ?2 million IMO

Driver is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. However, would YOU be happy if Hearts paid ?2million for Andrew Driver? I know I wouldn't.

heartsfc_fan
Driver is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. However, would YOU be happy if Hearts paid ?2million for Andrew Driver? I know I wouldn't.

Interesting way to look at it!

Buffalo Bill
2 million is a joke

If Stewart Downing is worth more than 15 million

Well...

The problem there is that Downing's club operate within a vastly inflated market economy.

That's why clubs like Wigan can buy and sell players for millions.

As a previous poster said: a player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him.

Buffalo Bill

The Old Tolbooth

I'd take ?2M no problem, while Driver is good in some games, he's honking in others and I reckon he's not going to progress unless he moves on somewhere.

Like it or not, Coventry are a bigger club and attraction than Hearts, apart from the off chance of European football with Hearts. I'd love to see him go on and represent his country with the right coaching.

heartsfc_fan
I'd take ?2M no problem, while Driver is good in some games, he's honking in others and I reckon he's not going to progress unless he moves on somewhere.

Like it or not, Coventry are a bigger club and attraction than Hearts, apart from the off chance of European football with Hearts. I'd love to see him go on and represent his country with the right coaching.

Coventry aren't a bigger club than Hearts

I dont think that Coventry have ?2M to spend on 1 player. Birmingham or Wolves yes but not Coventry.

heartsfc_fan
Based on what?

Club honours

* FA Cup

o Winners: 1987

* Second Division (now Football League Championship)

o Champions: 1966-67

* Third Division (now Football League One)

o Champions: 1963-64

* Third Division (South)

o Champions: 1935-36

* Fourth Division (now Football League Two)

o Runners-up: 1958-59

p*sh!

The Old Tolbooth
Club honours

* FA Cup

* Third Division (South)

p*sh!

How can you possibly measure Coventry's success against hearts success? How many trophies do you think Hearts would have won playing in the English leagues, deary me!

I tend to judge it on average crowds, size of stadium etc, and to be fair their average crowds are not much larger than ours, but they do have the capacity for 32K to squeeze into the Ricoh Stadium.

Club honours

* FA Cup

* Third Division (South)

p*sh!

Comparing apples and pear's there. English honours are totally different. We don't have to beat Man Utd, or Chelsea (or Leeds / Man Utd as at that time!)Their stadium is awesome and I still see their plight as temporary. They are bigger than us.

How can you possibly measure Coventry's success against hearts success? How many trophies do you think Hearts would have won playing in the English leagues, deary me!

I tend to judge it on average crowds, size of stadium etc, and to be fair their average crowds are not much larger than ours, but they do have the capacity for 32K to squeeze into the Ricoh Stadium.

I get your point, but if still under CPR we would have the capacity to squeeze 67500 into our stadium

heartsfc_fan
I get your point, but if still under CPR we would have the capacity to squeeze 67500 into our stadium

Exactly...

They have a bigger stadium than us....and?

Doesn't Easter road have about 40 more seats than Tynecastle? It doesn't make Hibs a bigger club.

Same goes for Kilmarnock.

Another good example:

Darlington, with a 27,500... that must mean they are bigger than us, aberdeen, hibs.... :hammer:

I'm a bit confused. I thought Coventry were basically bust! THey went into Administration last year did they not? Or was it almost admin? In anycase, do they actually have ?2 million or is as is more likely a SOP to their supporters?

heartsfc_fan
I'm a bit confused. I thought Coventry were basically bust! THey went into Administration last year did they not? Or was it almost admin? In anycase, do they actually have ?2 million or is as is more likely a SOP to their supporters?

Exacty. P*sh club, p*sh history, p*sh city.

This thread can be closed :smash:

Quite easily. We are right up there in terms of successful clubs in Scotland, Coventry are nothing in England. To suggest that a rank rotten middle of England's second division club are bigger than Hearts is frankly stupid. As for how many trophies we would win if playing in the English league, we would be a Premiership side IMO, we would get that sort of financial backing and we would also be able to entice players given the city they will live in, Coventry on the other hand....

You tend to judge it on average crowds but then say that our crowds are about the same? Meaning the only criteria you have for "Coventry being a bigger club and attraction than Hearts" is the size of their stadium. By your rationale, Hibs are bigger than us.

Any player signing for Coventry this summer will see a middle of the league team that, and the Coventry fans that came on here in January testified this, are HOPEFUL of making an effort to try to get in the play-offs. They will get to play in a big, empty stadium.

Any player at Hearts next season will play at a packed house in Scotland's top division with European football a further bonus. We will also be at the top end of our league, hopefully strengthening our claim to be the third biggest/best team in the league.

Completely nonsense to say that this backwater side are even remotely near our team in stature.

They were but Ray Ranson came in with a buy out. They now have a little money to spend.

heartsfc_fan
Quite easily. We are right up there in terms of successful clubs in Scotland, Coventry are nothing in England. To suggest that a rank rotten middle of England's second division club are bigger than Hearts is frankly stupid. As for how many trophies we would win if playing in the English league, we would be a Premiership side IMO, we would get that sort of financial backing and we would also be able to entice players given the city they will live in, Coventry on the other hand....

You tend to judge it on average crowds but then say that our crowds are about the same? Meaning the only criteria you have for "Coventry being a bigger club and attraction than Hearts" is the size of their stadium. By your rationale, Hibs are bigger than us.

Any player signing for Coventry this summer will see a middle of the league team that, and the Coventry fans that came on here in January testified this, are HOPEFUL of making an effort to try to get in the play-offs. They will get to play in a big, empty stadium.

Any player at Hearts next season will play at a packed house in Scotland's top division with European football a further bonus. We will also be at the top end of our league, hopefully strengthening our claim to be the third biggest/best team in the league.

Completely nonsense to say that this backwater side are even remotely near our team in stature.

:icon14:

Well said

Just checked, Coventry sit fourteenth in the Championship, IIRC the same position they were in January, and are currently closer in points difference to relegation than they are to the play offs. Truth be told, they will do neither and will finish mid table.

Another question, had we been playing at Murrayfield would we then be the biggest team in the United Kingdom?

Times have changed a lot since we held out for ?9m for Gordon

They have changed at Hearts and they have changed in the wider world

Driver is probably our most important player. Yet, he would do well to hold his own AT THIS STAGE IN HIS CAREER in the top half of the Championship

Vlad will likely bite a number of hands off to get a clean ?2m through the door for him

The Old Tolbooth

So how do you think Coventry would have done had they played all their days in Scotland? Who knows how to measure that but their honours list would be far superior as to what it is now, of that I'm sure.

If you were an investor, would you rather buy Hearts or Coventry based on potential?

The size of stadium comment hasn't half been exaggerated too, Coventry are doing pish and yet get larger crowds than us, how many would they pull if they sitting third in their league like we are?

I honestly think some folk need to take the maroon goggles off sometimes and look outside the box, accept it, we maybe support the third largest team in Scotland, but when you take that third largest team in Scotland and place it in a country 10 times the size of us, then I reckon that puts us well down the pecking order, it laughable that some folk still think we would survive in the EPL. :wacko:

So how do you think Coventry would have done had they played all their days in Scotland? Who knows how to measure that but their honours list would be far superior as to what it is now, of that I'm sure.

IMO, Premier league side, not unlike a Motherwell.

If you were an investor, would you rather buy Hearts or Coventry based on potential?

That would depend on a lot of things, not least the debt. It would also depend on my money and ambition, if I had a lot of money, I would say that Gillingham and Torquay would be better clubs to invest in than Hearts as there is the possibility to get to a higher league and maximise their income, just like Swansea have. Does that mean that Gillingham or Torquay are bigger than us as well?

The size of stadium comment hasn't half been exaggerated too, Coventry are doing pish and yet get larger crowds than us, how many would they pull if they sitting third in their league like we are?

It has hardly been exaggerated, it was listed by you as one of two reasons that they were bigger than us, the other you conceded was very similar. I ask again, would we be the biggest club in the U.K. if we played at Murrayfield? If not would we be bigger than Coventry?

I honestly think some folk need to take the maroon goggles off sometimes and look outside the box, accept it, we maybe support the third largest team in Scotland, but when you take that third largest team in Scotland and place it in a country 10 times the size of us, then I reckon that puts us well down the pecking order, it laughable that some folk still think we would survive in the EPL. :wacko:

I agree that some folk need to take the maroon goggles off sometimes, this forum can testify to that, but to suggest that the only thing that makes someone think Hearts are a bigger club than Coventry is just daft.

As for the EPL, why wouldn't we? Would you have said a year ago that Hull were a bigger team than Hearts? Of course you wouldn't, but the money that comes with getting in the Premiership is huge. I think you need to start watching Sky Sports with the sound off mate.

Yes, we nearly did. We were 25 minutes from administration. Now, although we're losing around 80K a week we don't have any debts.

I think Driver would be a fantastic aquisition for us and would help push us towards the promised land of the Premiership.

He would be great playing with our new star Aron Gunnarsson - watch out for him when he plays for Iceland against you lot tomorrow night. He's got a great long throw on him. Gordon Strachan (spit!) is apparently interested in him.

Buffalo Bill

If he goes to Coventry no one should ever speak to him again.*

*I'm here all week.

Buffalo Bill

portobellojambo1
I think he will be off in the summer. Who knows if it will be Coventry though.

I fully expect him to be at Tynecastle next season

If he does go it will not be through personal choice, as he doesn't want to leave the club. And if he does go it will not be to Coventry City.

We can argue backwards and forwards over who is bigger, them or us, truth is for them to achieve success within their league structure is a hell of a lot harder than it is/would be for Hearts in Scotland. We only have to get past Rangers and Celtic and it is job done, they have to get out of a division where the teams that drop down at the end of the season from the EPL will be strong, strong favourites to go right back up (plus they have opponents at that level at this time they are well below). From a distance Chris Coleman appears to be doing a reasonable job there, but he also did that initially at Fulham, and then got into a rut. Driver has more chance of achieving success at a young age at Hearts, then when ready can move on.

The Old Tolbooth

That would depend on a lot of things, not least the debt. It would also depend on my money and ambition, if I had a lot of money, I would say that Gillingham and Torquay would be better clubs to invest in than Hearts as there is the possibility to get to a higher league and maximise their income, just like Swansea have. Does that mean that Gillingham or Torquay are bigger than us as well?

It has hardly been exaggerated, it was listed by you as one of two reasons that they were bigger than us, the other you conceded was very similar. I ask again, would we be the biggest club in the U.K. if we played at Murrayfield? If not would we be bigger than Coventry?

I agree that some folk need to take the maroon goggles off sometimes, this forum can testify to that, but to suggest that the only thing that makes someone think Hearts are a bigger club than Coventry is just daft.

As for the EPL, why wouldn't we? Would you have said a year ago that Hull were a bigger team than Hearts? Of course you wouldn't, but the money that comes with getting in the Premiership is huge. I think you need to start watching Sky Sports with the sound off mate.

Pah!

Looks like we'll need to agree to disagree then :P

Gigolo-Aunt
I fully expect him to be at Tynecastle next season

If he does go it will not be through personal choice, as he doesn't want to leave the club. And if he does go it will not be to Coventry City.

He may say that Iain, but if a club who will be challenging for the Championship comes in, he might want to take that chance.

Wouldnt blame him.

Time will tell.

heartsfc_fan

...have to agree with that :smash:

Charlie-Brown

Nobody can say what Driver will or won't do until any offers have been put on the table...it's one thing saying the player definitely shouldn't sign for x, y or z club but if they offer enough cash to tempt then it's just as easy to make an impression in the Championship as the SPL if the player believes in his own ability and believes in the manager & club that wants to sign him.

I think if we get offered 2 mill for Driver Vlad will take it, and I won't be too disappointed with that. The English selling to English market is a lot better than the Scottish selling to English market generally (before anyone quotes Gordon and Hutton's transfer fees).

As to whether Coventry are a bigger club than us, I consider it from a point of view of who would win over two legs. I reckon we could take a good support down there and not concede a goal and beat them at home, I would therefore say at this moment in time we are easier the 'bigger' club.

Who the feck would want to play for Coventry ?

Coventry FFS.

I know, their fans are a bunch of knobs for starters

I've got the infractions to prove it

I know, their fans are a bunch of knobs for starters

I've got the infractions to prove it

Coventry are feck all :hammer:

Driver would need his head examined if he went to play for that shower of sheeite.

ThumbsHoff.jpg

The Hoff agrees.

I agree with almost all of this, but the fact is that no-one would be surprised if Coventry, or almost any other team in that division were to fork out ?2 mill for a player.

They would be hugely surprised though if we could.

frankbroxup

The only way that Andy Driver will go to Coventry is if he is forced to go by the club.

He is more likely to be in the Ukraine.

I am sure however that he has no desire to leave Edinburgh and/or the club where his HEART is.

Archived