What puts you off England????

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

TBH, I'm a proud brit, so I want England/Scotland/Wales and /N.I to win unless they're playing each other.

What stops you supporting England, shall I tell you what I hate about them.

Fecking John fecking Motson!

Cannot stand the guy. Talks rubbish, but do you know what, I still love England doing well.

Sorry Guys, but I do. Love the home countries doing well. Anyone else in the same boat?

Goose Baxter

I like to see the home nations do well but i also love to see England fail. If that makes sense. Only because they go on about 1966 sooooo much.

I mean it was like 43 years ago. Hibs dont go on about winning the scottish cup in 1902

heartsfc_fan
TBH, I'm a proud brit, so I want England/Scotland/Wales and /N.I to win unless they're playing each other.

Cannot stand the guy. Talks rubbish, but do you know what, I still love England doing well.

Sorry Guys, but I do. Love the home countries doing well. Anyone else in the same boat?

sigh.jpg

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I don't care either way, tbh.

It's hard to create a rivalry when your rivals are vastly superior. It's almost embarrasing saying you hate them when they don't give a sh*t about you. I watch so much of the Premiership now it's hard to kid on I detest the players when I actually have a lot of admiration for the likes of Rooney, Becks and Gerrard. Gashley Cole and John 'my ma's a chav' Terry can GTF though.

This must be close to what it's like being a Hibs fan.

Don't hate the English but it's the motsons and lawrensons of the world who really get on my tats. My stepdads English so if by a small miracle they win something I wouldn't feel terrible but it's all the guaranteed fall out at the back of it with the inevitable knighthoods etc that I couldn't stand

shaun.lawson
The myths. They're like an international version of #ibs.

What 'myths'? "We're slightly above mid-table in football's league of nations and we know we are?" And who other than tits like Motson (who no longer commentates on England games, in case no-one's noticed) go on about 1966 anyway?

For the record, I currently rank England sixth. We've often been around that point during my lifetime: under Bobby Robson prior to 1990, under Glenn Hoddle prior to France 98, and under Sven too. Breaking into the clear air of the top four is almost always beyond us, though; and England have a horrible habit of getting everyone excited in the year prior to a World Cup (Italy (a) 1997, Germany (a) 2001, Argentina (n) 2005) before living down to expectations come the big shindig.

chester copperpot
I don't care either way, tbh.

It's hard to create a rivalry when your rivals are vastly superior. It's almost embarrasing saying you hate them when they don't give a sh*t about you. I watch so much of the Premiership now it's hard to kid on I detest the players when I actually have a lot of admiration for the likes of Rooney, Becks and Gerrard. Gashley Cole and John 'my ma's a chav' Terry can GTF though.

This must be close to what it's like being a Hibs fan.

Brilliant analogy mate, spot on.

Only time I ever get passionate about the home nations are when Scotland play England, which never happens much.

England get my support, until that mod delete opens his mooth.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

England get my support, until that mod delete opens his mooth.

A bit harsh on Shaun.Lawson, imo. :sorcerer:

this_is_my_story

Don't mind seeing England doing well at all. Some of the hatred towards them, and the desire to see them failing, is embarrassingly cringeworthy - and is also reminiscent of the attitude of a certain Leith mob's fans towards their bigger rivals.

The Colonel

English arrogance.

Also, do you think the English are thinking "I really want Scotland to do well!" Short answer, no. They don't give a ****. They see themselves as British but not in the same way you do.

chester copperpot
Don't mind seeing England doing well at all. Some of the hatred towards them, and the desire to see them failing, is embarrassingly cringeworthy - and is also reminiscent of the attitude of a certain Leith mob's fans towards their bigger rivals.

I like England doing well. As long as that C U next Tuesday Motson keeps his trap shut.

shaun.lawson
English arrogance.

Also, do you think the English are thinking "I really want Scotland to do well!" Short answer, no. They don't give a ****. They see themselves as British but not in the same way you do.

Examples please... Funny how Andy Murray's just "a winner" when he believes in himself and is Scottish, but if an Englishman dares do the same, it's "arrogance", isn't it?

For me, it's pretty much all down to the lack of decent kebabs.

I just can't support a nation with such poor attention to the basics.

Nothing at all.

Their FA do things the right way, the SFA could learn so much from them.

I lived there for 30 years (London) and remember running down the street looking for a newspaper after being in the pictures for 2 hours. Imagine my horror with 6 of my pals (all English) and saw the headlines in the paper. Yes it was 1961...I just kept running and running and didnt come out on the Sunday. Strange thig was not one of those guys said we were crap. They mostly laughed it off. For the most part they liked us Scots and I remember the great reception I got in the pub later when the Holland result came through in 1978. Not a bad buch of geezers really.

this_is_my_story

When people talk about the 'arrogance' of the English, I think the use of the word is misguided. I think it's really just a case of the less objective England fans being a little sucked in by the usual frenzy whipped up by the media before big tournaments, and they buy into the idea that England really stand a chance in these tournaments when in reality their chances are not quite so good.

England is a home nation, and I've no shame whatsoever (or a case to answer to anyone!) when I say that I've pretty much cheered them on in a fair few games. I'm not claiming not to be small-minded though, because I'd still want to see hibs thrashed in any cup final!

Johanes de Silentio
Examples please... Funny how Andy Murray's just "a winner" when he believes in himself and is Scottish, but if an Englishman dares do the same, it's "arrogance", isn't it?

Aye, Shaun - like how Murray's British when he wins, and Scottish when he loses!

Own goal, mate!

shaun.lawson
Aye, Shaun - like how Murray's British when he wins, and Scottish when he loses!

Own goal, mate!

Yeah - but that's just funny. :laugh: And for the record, I regard Murray as quintessentially Scottish, win or lose. :sorcerer:

Johanes de Silentio
Yeah - but that's just funny. :laugh: And for the record, I regard Murray as quintessentially Scottish, win or lose. :sorcerer:

To be fair, Murray sounds more and more like a Yank every time I hear him speak.

Are we allowed to say Yank nowadys?

Goose Baxter
To be fair, Murray sounds more and more like a **** every time I hear him speak.

Are we allowed to say Yank nowadys?

you can say that if the filter doesnt delete it. Change the Y to a W

alwaysthereinspirit

Allan Wells was British. Seb Coe was English.

Wullie Carson was British. Lester Piggott was English.

Jackie Stewart was British. James Hunt was English.

Jim Watt was British. Alan Minter was English.

Colin Mongomerie was British. Nick Faldo was English.(keep him)

The list is endless of Scottish, Welsh or NI sportspersons adopted by England.

shaun.lawson

Really? I regularly remember them being referred to as British actually. Coe ran for the British Olympic team, of course. Linford Christie was referred to as British; Jonathan Edwards as British; Denise Lewis as British; Colin Jackson as Welsh; Ian Woosnam as Welsh; Sandy Lyle as Scottish. When the double standard does occur, I tend to find it funny to be honest - but when the shoe's on the other foot, no-one ever seems to notice. Funny, that.

Johanes de Silentio
Really? I regularly remember them being referred to as British actually. Coe ran for the British Olympic team, of course. Linford Christie was referred to as British; Jonathan Edwards as British; Denise Lewis as British; Colin Jackson as Welsh; Ian Woosnam as Welsh; Sandy Lyle as Scottish. When the double standard does occur, I tend to find it funny to be honest - but when the shoe's on the other foot, no-one ever seems to notice. Funny, that.

Subjective statement, Shaun - others may remember differently.

shaun.lawson
Subjective statement, Shaun - others may remember differently.

It's subjective on their part too. That's the whole point! :sorcerer:

I like to see the home nations do well but i also love to see England fail. If that makes sense. Only because they go on about 1966 sooooo much.

Spot on mate. If Scotland had won the World Cup we'd probably never mention it again after the initial celebrations were over. Incidentally, can you give me your source that supports your comment that they go on about it "sooooo much". I can't remember the last time I heard a mention of 1966.

Urban myth alert. :smash: :smash: :smash:

My problem is the insular beliefs.

I have no problem with English people, a high percentage of the English people I have met are good people, it is their faux superiority with regards football.

Whenever a football player plays well in England, he is deemed to be the best in the world. Given the money available to English football clubs now, that can be true, but I honestly feel they do champion that belief too often. In recent years, Cech, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole and Owen have been given the "best in the world" tag by both the English press and English players.

That belief is also coupled with their belief in the national team, with the likes of Stubbs and Motson starting "inquests" as to why England did not get to World Cup finals and Euro finals as if they have a divine right to succeed BECAUSE they are England.

Generally though, English people in my experience are alright. :)

Charlie-Brown

We were Britons on these Islands long before any Englishman ever set foot here - they're not really British, the Saxons & Angles are just another bunch of invaders who stayed and became 'assimilated' just like the Romans, Vikings, Normans and latterly Polish......... :)

JT's & Irons

I get on fine with most Northerners, apart from scousers in general. Can't be bothered with most southerners apart from proper cockneys. Dead annoying on holiday cos they're forever screaming their bairns names and they always end in ey.

E.G. "Stacey, Jamie, Kylie. Get art the worta"

Simple.

I want Engerlund to get hammered :hammer: every game................why......because they are our(Scotlands) closest neighbours/rivals.

I am as proud to be British as the next person when we are competing under a British flag, but when competing under our own individual identities/flags i can't understand the support for a different nation.

That's the biggest myth yet.

What puts me off England you ask

Answer

The English

Funny how that's acceptable to a lot of Scots, quite often those who are quick to impose PC values under normal circumstances.

Replace 'English' with other ways of categorising people (i.e. skin colour, religion, sex, etc)...

... but when it's the English it's alright in some folks book.

Funny how that's acceptable to a lot of Scots, quite often those who are quick to impose PC values under normal circumstances.

Replace 'English' with other ways of categorising people (i.e. skin colour, religion, sex, etc)...

... but when it's the English it's alright in some folks book.

And the proof of that is in the fact that the post is still up.

You say the same about catholics or blacks and you'd be banned.

Not that I want the poster banned or his post delated.

jambopompey

i have many mates that are English, i have spent a lot of time in England, it does not bother me, also the 1966 thing is only mentioned by one or two commentators these days (if at all recently). People go on about 1966, the Scots go on about 67 and the goalposts/turf at Wembley.

The media hype in England is their biggest downfall, they are set up as world beaters and when they fail they all look for someone to blame, im sure that after our result against France in Paris our media went into overdrive and looking from outside it would seem our media had the same arrogance that we complain about the English media.

Do i wish England to do well in the Euro's and World Cup yes, do i want them to win the thing no.

Being honest England are one of the top 10 nations at football, we on the other hand are not as good as our ranking states, we have over the past 20 odd years fell well behind them in producing good/top class players, back in the 70's and 80's and further back most top clubs in England had Scots playing for them, why because we where good players then, but as other nations progress we go backwards.

Some of the stuff that is said about the English if it was said about any other nation or race it would be deemed racist, but the English are always the bad ones.

For Northern Ireland and Wales i like watching them and wish them well when they play, they have been through some bad patches like ourselves but they do seem to have better players than we have.

WeeToonJambo

My father was English and I have lots of relatives in England so maybe I can be a bit more objective than some. What annoys me is when English people refer to Britain as England, as in "Queen or King of England", or the girl who won the right to represent Britain in the Eurovision (I didn't watch the programme, honest, only heard a snippet) song contest who was so proud to be representing England. It's an unintended arrogance but insulting to Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish and arguably every other country in the Commonwealth. "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" sung by England rugby fans, a song that was once sung by all rugby fans but adopted by England (What's it got to do with England anyway? It's a ***** spiritual.) John Motson really does annoy me and is probably the main reason most Scots want England to lose at football. It's just to see his greeting face (or hear his greeting voice). When English clubs play in Europe I think the vast majority of us want them to do well and I support the England cricket team. It really is the commentators (Did I mention John Motson?) and in the past, Jimmy Hill who was hated up here for some reason. I met him a couple of years ago and he was a really nice guy. I think also his wife might be Scottish but I could be wrong about that.

The BBC didn't help by concentrating so much on England and English matters in the news bulletins (A light snowfall in the Home Counties merits ten minutes on the national news and in the meantime the people in the Highlands are under 2 feet of the stuff and just getting on with life.) To be fair, this has changed recently following a report by some watchdog or other and we do now get a more balanced news.

I could go on and on but what's the point? We are probably a bit like the Hibs, jealous of our bigger and better neighbours and desperate for them to fail while they really don't care about us and can't understand why we get so het up about them.

I don't mind seeing England win, as someone up thread said you watch that much of the Premiership that you get an affinity for some of the players (with a few notable exceptions).

But what annoys me about the English (maybe the just the media) is that it's NEVER their fault when the go out of a tournament.

Ronaldo got Rooney sent off (as opposed to Rooney standing on the boys plums) ; That nasty ref sent off Becks for nothing really (as opposed to Becks kicking an opposition player) ; the pitch cut up when Becks took the penalty (as opposed to any pro would check the pitch before running up) and on and on.

Maybe if they actually took some responsibility for their failings they might do something about them and actually win something.

I dont dislike the English. I've got English friends, colleagues, family.

Its simply that they are our closest neighbours hence rivals - who when it comes to football think they are world beaters - so I want to see them get comprehensively beaten every game they play. Working in England didnt help when they all had the stupid flags flying from their motors.

I P Knightley

Own goal, mate!

Unlike many people, notably the ones who make this claim, I read a lot of the tennis coverage. Because I generally get it in the neck from my Scots-baiting English friends, I'm on the lookout for instances of this.

It doesn't happen.

Fact.

I can take or leave English sporting occasions without any great emotion. I cheered when Wilkinson put over the drop goal at RWC2003; I laughed when England were skittled out for hardly any runs last week (possibly because I care less for cricket). I was leaping and dancing with my friends when Campbell put the ball in the Argies' net in '98 but I wasn't upset when it was chalked off.

But then, I watched the 6 nations decider with an Irish friend and sided with the Irish. Last year, I was with a Welsh friend for the Ire v Wal game and cheered on the Welsh.

If it doesn't affect Scotland (and it rarely does), England winning is fine by me but their losing can be funny as well.

It only really matters to me when Scotland are playing.

Oxford City

I live in England, but I don't support England. The reason being - I'm not English.

Simple really.

ToadKiller Dog

To be fair the English media has toned down its jingoistic crassness of previous times such as the two world wars won world cup nonsense stuart pearce in a tommy tin hat etc also the Scottish trash media is guilty of the same ,dont think it gone an will rear its moronic head come the next world cup .

Chris Waddle was a prat on Saturday and they way he dismissed Slovakia was a disgrace ,full of smug superiority ,and you can see building the world cup destiny idea once more ,but thats an English problem .

I have always found it difficult to back england at football and cant even watch them at rugby but support there cricket side except against the Windies.

Away from sport yes the dominance of london and home county news/culture etc does annoy and should be looked at for example compare the national report space of two similar news stories Baby P in london and the death of Baby Brendon in Dundee .Again tho that type of coverage must also effect the other regions in england .

but again the dominance of Glasgow in terms of BBC programing and football is a common dislike in the rest of scotland.

Truth be told england has always and always will be the senior player in the United Kingdom ,What exactly is the roll of Scotland in the UK these days except for a high proportion of Infantry in the army and bad quality senior labour politicians .

Archived