Is Scotland the only country that can't produce an International class striker

vegas-voss

The SFA have identified this as the key aim of their new youth initiative, ask any youth coach and they all recognise we are not producing quality composed finishers. That's why the SFA has changed all it's youth development courses etc to emphasise technique over brawn etc 20 years too late right enough!

also the biggest scandal of all is that UEFA asked all youth associations to ensure U13 teams all played 7 aside games max (more touches of the ball, more use if technique, smaller goals etc). Scotland are the only country in europe yet to adopt this principle, we are still stuck in the dark ages asking 11 year olds to hump the baw up a full size pitch, this is truly a national disgrace caused by stuck in their ways boys clubs.

So youth teams are implementing these intiatives?

The exercises actually look good in theory but I can imagine the old rules will still apply, big lads picked over the talented, kick and run.

From when are these supposed to have been applied?

jamboinglasgow
Because very few coaches in Scotland are experts in player development between the ages of 19-24 - most clubs managers are under more pressure to get satisfactory results than ensure the optimal development of their young players ..... fans don't help much either and young players are either heroes or villains / brilliant or sheeite .....but the truth is they are both .... look at threads on here about Lee Wallace, compare & contrast posts now compared to the start of the season just 6 months ago.

I would agree.

It reminds me of something an ex-footballer said to me. He had played in the 70s, he said that when you play youth football you are given more time with the ball and less pressure from coaches. However when you get put into the senior side, rather than have a bit of freedom to do what you can you are forced into the mentailty of dont make mistakes. It puts huge pressure on a youngster and means that it quells anything special about them. He said to me that it is the same today as it was in the 70s. He was a ST holder at Tynecastle but he admited the reason Hibs were able to bring so many youngsters through under Mowbray was that he allowed them to have that bit of freedom and not put pressure on them to not make mistakes.

john brownlee
there's nowt more depressing than watching an under 9's game and hearing parents shout 'get rid of it' to defenders under pressure. every kid who plays should be getting encouraged to take touches on the ball and look to pass or dribble it, no just hoof it forward.

or when a kid gets the ball from the goalie and runs with it to the other corner flag chased by one then two then three and so on until he loses it or it goes out of play. Nobody encourages him to pass the ball, I see that every time I go and watch my grandson's team and believe it or not there are some people out there that still believe the myth of the tanner ba' player (greedy player not a team player) football is a team game

The Colonel
This will never change.

WHAT are you on about!? It's exactly the same in scotland, mate. You don't move into 11-a-side untill you reach under 13s.

What happened to Ernie Walker's think tank ?..............to the best of my knowledge the SFA buried that in the back garden !

Jesus, we've not even had a 'decent' player who's somehow managed to slip through the ****e coaching net.........now how unlucky is that ?

What about the dedicated guys taking youth teams over to the continent every year ?.............we appear to be winning tournaments over there BUT HOW ? is it just the build of our youngsters at that age that's seeing us through? if so - why doesn't somebody do the decent thing and own up, rather than have us falling at the next hurdle every feckin time !

My son was in a kids team from about age 5 until he was about 8 - his coach told me that he (a 6 year old at the time) wasn't getting a game in a friendly match because the team needed a win 'to give the boys some confidence.'

Bear in mind that the team he played for was too young to be in a league at the time. So after traveling about 25 miles to get to the game, all he got to do was stand on the touchline in the snow.

To his credit he kept on taking the disappointments and stuck at it for while until he (and me probably if I'm being honest) had enough.

What chance do we give ourselves to develop talent if all that matters from such an early age is winning? Too many folk involved in kids football are in it for their own ends - making the experience of playing football enjoyable for the kids seems to be forgotten in too many instances.

My son was in a kids team from about age 5 until he was about 8 - his coach told me that he (a 6 year old at the time) wasn't getting a game in a friendly match because the team needed a win 'to give the boys some confidence.'

Bear in mind that the team he played for was too young to be in a league at the time. So after traveling about 25 miles to get to the game, all he got to do was stand on the touchline in the snow.

To his credit he kept on taking the disappointments and stuck at it for while until he (and me probably if I'm being honest) had enough.

What chance do we give ourselves to develop talent if all that matters from such an early age is winning? Too many folk involved in kids football are in it for their own ends - making the experience of playing football enjoyable for the kids seems to be forgotten in too many instances.

Disappointing story Red, and probably one played out every weekend over the country. I listened to Sportsound ( ? ) on BBC last Thursday, with the usual suspects spouting their OF tainted pesh over in Amsterdam. Anyway, the one bright spot in the prog was Yogi Hughes coming on the phone and saying how he firmly believes in the Ajax model for youth development, with touch and technique being mastered before anything else !

That will be him stroked off the GFA short list of Scotland managers :56:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Not good to hear. However, how about instead of bitching about the coaches why don't you go out and do it the right way? It's easy to moan on the internet about it but actually getting off your arse and doing something about it is a different story. Not having a go at you btw, I mean in general.

I used to do it and it takes massive dedication and it can sometimes be a thankless task. Nowt worse than watching a bunch of laddies getting tanked when you could be doing something better or you're feeling sh*te from the night before.

The club I was coaching for always tried to teach the kids the right way but let's not kid ourselves, no country in the world has youth coaches who's only interest is improving the technique of the player. Not even Holland. You still have to teach kids how to be competitive and how to win. They get bored very easily if they are getting beat, even if they are improving as players.

gillsjambo29
Did anybody see the picture of Barry Ferguson in the Sun today? no chest, no muscles, belly etc, he's meant to be a pro, says it all really, compare his physique to gerrard, ripped and athletic, we can't even get that right. the whole package is just wrong in our culture. not even athletic in shape.

i remember an article shortly after he moved to blackburn, souness saying that the first thing he had to do was drop a stone. That was when he was supposedly in his prime.

Look at the squad for example, 1 player who is at a top club. Even then he's bit part and does the water carrying for them.

Which player would that be? Surely not Darren Fletcher who has played more games and scored more goals than Michael Carrick, Anderson and Paul Scholes this season?

big duncan ferguson was the last class striker to play for scotland but being a nutter and injury and going to jail prevented him from realising his true potential.

none of the current crop are up to much.

as for portugal they may not have a world class striker but i would swap nuno gomes for any of ours and i would also swap there whole team for ours. deco for ferguson anyone

Look who our first choice strikers in the past 4-5 seasons have been:

Nade

Aguiar

Ksnavicius

(Mole)

Velicka

Bednar

Jankauskas

Pospisil

De Vries

As a club, Hearts have decided to bring in foreign players rather than sign and give opportunities to Scottish strikers. To some (unmeasurable) effect this will have impeded the possibilities of Scottish strikers getting games. Seems to me that there are more foreign strikers signed than foreign defenders.

So many teams have had the same strategy - bring in foreign strikers.

Charlie-Brown
Look who our first choice strikers in the past 4-5 seasons have been:

Nade

Aguiar

Ksnavicius

(Mole)

Velicka

Bednar

Jankauskas

Pospisil

De Vries

As a club, Hearts have decided to bring in foreign players rather than sign and give opportunities to Scottish strikers. To some (unmeasurable) effect this will have impeded the possibilities of Scottish strikers getting games. Seems to me that there are more foreign strikers signed than foreign defenders.

So many teams have had the same strategy - bring in foreign strikers.

What you say here is generally true Coco although did omit Elliot from your list - a similar pattern can be seen at Dundee Utd where Levein has used De Vries, N.Hunt, Sandaza, Feeny, Daly, O'Donovan which is 2 foreign & 4 Irish strikers........

In Hearts youth ranks in the striker/winger positions as well as Calum Elliot we have Gary Glen, David Templeton, Mark Cowan, Ryan Wallace, Scott Robinson, David Love, Ross McKenzie, Jamie Walker, David Smith who are all Scots kids as well as foreign kids Novikovas, Kostadinov & Wagner ... be interesting to see who makes the grade.

big duncan ferguson was the last class striker to play for scotland but being a nutter and injury and going to jail prevented him from realising his true potential.

none of the current crop are up to much.

as for portugal they may not have a world class striker but i would swap nuno gomes for any of ours and i would also swap there whole team for ours. deco for ferguson anyone

The fact he hardly scored any goals through out his career would negate any other qualities he had.

Dennis Law was the last World Class striker Scotland had, Kenny Dalgliesh was more of a midfielder. Had quite a few Intrenational class striker of which I would certainly include Robbo over the years, infact Robbo/Mccoist would be about the last of them

The Comedian

Our country need's a shake up from top to bottom, never mind the FA. If anyone succeeds here it's despite the place rather than because of it.

Archived