Hearts Mythbusters

Sydney

It annoys all of us that Hearts are deemed by many in the media to be "difficult to break down", "boring", "physical", etc, etc.

And then there's the mythologising of the unwashed Leithiopians.

Well lets look at the facts:

Goals - Hearts 33 Hibs 33

Shots on target - Hearts 145 Hibs 140

Yellow Cards - Hearts 46 Hibs 53

Wins - Hearts 14 Hibs 10

Attendance - Hearts 14200 Hibs 12570

So, more people come to watch us because we:

Have more shots on target, spend less time fouling, and win more games.

Fair enough but having 5 shots on goal more than hibs over a full season isnt that impressive is it?

Its points that matter and we're easily best of the rest.

I would rather be winning 1-0 or 2-1 than having a gungho style of manager who's philosophy is " as long as we score 1 more than they do" and the game finishes 5-4, or am I looking at this from the wrong angle.

Buffalo Bill
I would rather be winning 1-0 or 2-1 than having a gungho style of manager who's philosophy is " as long as we score 1 more than they do" and the game finishes 5-4, or am I looking at this from the wrong angle.

I'd rather win 5-4 than 1-0.

But I'd rather win 1-0 than lose 5-4.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I would only choose 'gung-ho' over 4-5-1 if it meant winning more games.

The cup final performance didn't have me partying on Gorgie Road for two days but the result did.

Buffalo Bill

I would only choose 'gung-ho' over 4-5-1 if it meant winning more games.

The cup final performance didn't have me partying on Gorgie Road for two days but the result did.

Buffalo Bill

reminds me of a hearts v killie match at tynie when JJ was in charge and we won 5-3, great football at times but frustrating giving away the goals after working so hard to score.

Buffalo Bill
reminds me of a hearts v killie match at tynie when JJ was in charge and we won 5-3, great football at times but frustrating giving away the goals after working so hard to score.

Killie's two second half goals came right after Adam's two strikes (as part of his hatrick), if I remember rightly.

So although we were always leading the 2nd half, they kept pegging us back.

It was only when Jose put us 5-3 up in the dying minutes that the game was truly over as a contest. Jose's goal was the third time in the game that Hearts held a two-goal lead.

It was a quite breath-taking match. We were top of the league, playing a very good provincial team in front of a near full-house. If ever there was an advert for non-Old Firm Scottish Football: this was it.

Our football that day, especially in the first half was nothing short of scintillating.

But don't tell that to a Hibs fan. I say leave them to their mythology.

Buffalo Bill

Killie's two second half goals came right after Adam's two strikes (as part of his hatrick), if I remember rightly.

So although we were always leading the 2nd half, they kept pegging us back.

It was only when Jose put us 5-3 up in the dying minutes that the game was truly over as a contest. Jose's goal was the third time in the game that Hearts held a two-goal lead.

It was a quite breath-taking match. We were top of the league, playing a very good provincial team in front of a near full-house. If ever there was an advert for non-Old Firm Scottish Football: this was it.

Our football that day, especially in the first half was nothing short of scintillating.

But don't tell that to a Hibs fan. I say leave them to their mythology.

Buffalo Bill

A Hibs fan I know totally utterly refuses to accept that JJs Hearts teams every played any exciting football. Even when I mention games like the 5-3 Killie game or the game away to Motherwell when we were 3 or 4 up at half time as example he just looks at me in a confused manner. In fact even when I ask him how a team including Cameron, McCann, Adam, Fulton, Flogel, Naysmith etc could be considered boring, physical or poor football he cant accept it. The history according to Hibs - all Hearts teams = physical, boring, long ball football. All Hibs (Apart from the Stanton, Blackley, Miller, Blobby years that didnt really happen) = free flowing, attractive, attacking Brazilesque football. Tools.

Guest jambomickey

as csaba says winning football is better than fancy football, hopefully next season once csaba gets some more of his own players in we'll be much more positive.

There`s no myths to bust. Hearts have played some decent stuff on ocassion this season but also ground their way to results, it`s the same every season.

In the end the media or whoever has the grudge, will not recognise that Hearts are now a much more solid unit and are playing a more educated game under Csaba which is hard for other teams to break down and compete against.

I can`t think of many games at Tynecastle where Hearts haven`t dominated or not been the better team. There`s been the odd close call but we`ve played better than Aberdeen twice, better than DU in the draw and also better than the Hobos in that draw too. Pumped Rangers, beaten Motherwell twice although they played ok in the second meeting...blah blah blah..

It's a ridiculous thing even this season. Ok, we dont score many goals, but how does that mean we're bad to watch??

Fact is that Csaba tries to get the team playing football. On the deck. Through the midfield. Getting out to the wingers to have a go at fullbacks.

Right, we haven't scored many goals and we are difficult to break down, but I honestly believe we try to play decent stuff when we have the ball. It just tends to break down 20 yards out due to the lack of striker.

We have the best footballing midfield, right across the park in the SPL (outwith OF).

Many teams, Hibs and Dutd especially just go long, constantly. If it wins them games, fair enough. But it doesn't win them as many games as our style does for us!

Frankenstein Jambo.

Winning isn't everything IMO. It great, dont get me wrong, but is it worth sacrfising the enjoyment of spirit, atmosphere, watching great footbal and actually enjoying the game?

Nope. I have a season ticket and the delivery i have been given for my hard earned money is not great. I have enjoyed two games this year and the rest i have left red faced.

Yet, will i buy a season ticket next year?:hanged:

Buffalo Bill
Winning isn't everything IMO. It great, dont get me wrong, but is it worth sacrfising the enjoyment of spirit, atmosphere, watching great footbal and actually enjoying the game?

Nope. I have a season ticket and the delivery i have been given for my hard earned money is not great. I have enjoyed two games this year and the rest i have left red faced.

Yet, will i buy a season ticket next year?:hanged:

But if we win every game we would become record-breaking League Champions.

Surely that would have to entail "spirit, atmosphere...and enjoying the game"?

Were Arsenal a great side to watch in season 90/91?

Of course they were...

...if you're an Arsenal fan.

I'm afraid I don't get your argument. To me, winning is absolutely everything.

Buffalo Bill

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
hibs are pish to watch.

Two words too many. Guess which ones....

On the subject of - are we playing well this season?,

I would have to say it depends on what you look for in a performance, I like watching a team defending well, difficult to break down, the technical side of the game.

Others, the ones that tend to say we're not playing well this season, are likely to say they like seeing goals, good link up play, fast flowing attractive football, we are not playing like this but this is only one style of good football.

If I was to choose between good football and winning, it has to be winning, there's nothing greater than the feeling of leaving Tynecastle or where-ever you are knowing Hearts have won and picked up the vital 3 points. It's better than the feeling you get when you have lost a game you deserved to win.

Away from home Hearts are very boring to watch, no real ambition or desire toget forward in great numbers. But when you have only one decent striker worth playing every week those are the tactics you've got to play and plenty of times this season it has worked.

Home games this season have been so much better than last season. Most home games this season hearts have passed the ball about well and have really battled hard with exception of a few. The celtic 2-0 game springs to mind.

Its moving in the right direction which is very good with one striker

Archived