George Burley Scotland Manager

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

Will George Burley be able to improve Scotland's results and performances given time? will he be given time? or is he already verging on unpopular with poorer results and selection squabbles?

Do you think he will succeed or do you think he will be forced out or resign?

Personally I think he needs 2 or 3 impressive results & performances and quickly if he is to secure his position - I think he faces an uphill struggle to get back to the feelgood factor of recent qualification attempts.

jambopompey

he was not a choice of some of the media at the time, not sure who they wanted, but burley never had the backing from some members of the media from day one, so through the media they have ensured the pressure was on him from day one

Drylaw Hearts

I think he'll be there for the remainder of this campaign and then he'll move back to Club football.

Will George Burley be able to improve Scotland's results and performances given time? will he be given time? or is he already verging on unpopular with poorer results and selection squabbles?

Personally I think he needs 2 or 3 impressive results & performances and quickly if he is to secure his position - I think he faces an uphill struggle to get back to the feelgood factor of recent qualification attempts.

He just needs a good result against a big team. Mcleish and Smith both got it in France - take that away and they were both average at best, and for each result v France they both had an absolutely terrible performance. (Ukraine and Georgia). The 'feelgood factor' to me is a myth fuelled by two spectacular results against France.

As i said on another thread, we just dont have the players to do anything, all we can do is 'do a Rangers' and play 4-5-1 and hope we nick a goal. I genuinely don't think we have one player who is good enough for international football except perhaps Craig Gordon and Darren Fletcher (who has been terrible in recent games)

shaun.lawson

It's in the lap of the Gods now. Assuming you beat Iceland, if you lose in Norway, that's that; if you draw, you hang in there; and if you win (which you did in the last World Cup qualifiers, and they're nothing to be scared of), things suddenly start to look good. To reach the play-offs, I doubt Scotland can afford to drop any more than two points over your four remaining games - but if it came down to needing to beat the Dutch at Hampden with them already qualified and resting players, you could still do it.

It's odds against - but certainly not all over yet. Burley should keep his job if you reach the play-offs; but given the relative straightforwardness of the group on paper, not if you don't.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

His biggest mistake was trying to change the playing style. Smith and McLeish both got very lucky with their ultra negative tactics and it papered over the cracks.

Has Burley ever had the strongest squad to choose from? The amount of call offs is a joke.

I don't really think he's doing that bad, he just hasn't had the luck.

His biggest mistake was trying to change the playing style. Smith and McLeish both got very lucky with their ultra negative tactics and it papered over the cracks.

Has Burley ever had the strongest squad to choose from? The amount of call offs is a joke.

I don't really think he's doing that bad, he just hasn't had the luck.

I think in his brief spell we've played better football than under Smith and Mcleish.

Your right about call offs though - I think Maloney has only played once under him? Dont think he's been able to pick Mcfadden much either, and Hutton, Ferguson and Gordon have all been out for periods.

brellierlegend

I do not think that George Burley is the right man for Scotland. There are a few reasons why:-

1) Rightly or wrongly I do not think he has the full backing of the squad. There has obviously been unrest with some of the Rankgers players that has come out but I would not be surprised to hear if this was more of a deeper problem.

2) I do not think he has managed Christophe Berra well at all. Berra is potentially a great talent with a lot of potential. There have been quite a few occassions i.e. in friendlies or lesser world cup qualifying games perhaps where Berra could have been given some time on the park to give him some much needed experience at this level. However instead of doing that Burley picks the likes of Weir and Dailly. This meant that Berras first major game was against Holland marking the likes of Huntelaar, Van Persie and Robben. If George had the brains to realise that this is an area where we are quite weak he could of given Berra some preparation.

3) I also think the decision to play McGregor was a total farce! Gordon is clearly the better keeper and has been a great servant for the past 35 games. He has rarely put a foot wrong. Ok he has not being playing at Sunderland but the only reason Mcgregor played was because Burley set a precident with Boyd.

All in all I think Burley is a poor manager who will not last because we will NOT qualify for the South Africa! Another chance wasted!

I think in his brief spell we've played better football than under Smith and Mcleish.

Your right about call offs though - I think Maloney has only played once under him? Dont think he's been able to pick Mcfadden much either, and Hutton, Ferguson and Gordon have all been out for periods.

We definitely have played nicer football ... less effective though.

We just don't have the players to play the game Burley wants.

I do not think that George Burley is the right man for Scotland. There are a few reasons why:-

1) Rightly or wrongly I do not think he has the full backing of the squad. There has obviously been unrest with some of the Rankgers players that has come out but I would not be surprised to hear if this was more of a deeper problem.

Doesn't seem to have affected the other Rangers players to me - Ferguson, Weir, Broadfoot etc all seem keen to play, and seemed to want Boyd to change his mind

2) I do not think he has managed Christophe Berra well at all. Berra is potentially a great talent with a lot of potential. There have been quite a few occassions i.e. in friendlies or lesser world cup qualifying games perhaps where Berra could have been given some time on the park to give him some much needed experience at this level. However instead of doing that Burley picks the likes of Weir and Dailly. This meant that Berras first major game was against Holland marking the likes of Huntelaar, Van Persie and Robben. If George had the brains to realise that this is an area where we are quite weak he could of given Berra some preparation.

You have a good point here, Barr has played more than Berra up until now i'm sure? He obviously has faith in Berra though, and I felt Berra didn;t do much wrong until his rash challenge

3) I also think the decision to play McGregor was a total farce! Gordon is clearly the better keeper and has been a great servant for the past 35 games. He has rarely put a foot wrong. Ok he has not being playing at Sunderland but the only reason Mcgregor played was because Burley set a precident with Boyd.

Gordon is a better player but I think he made the right decision here. Dont think Gordon would have saved either of the goals last night.

All in all I think Burley is a poor manager who will not last because we will NOT qualify for the South Africa! Another chance wasted!

We definitely have played nicer football ... less effective though.

We just don't have the players to play the game Burley wants.

That's why I think Levein should have been given the job......

Gigolo-Aunt

If its not 3 points on Wednesday, the pack of wolves that are the press will go for the throat.

Hae to say, Im undecided on Burley. I appreciate we have had bad call off's, but for some reason im getting the feeling Burley may be in deeper water than he likes.

DH might be right, club football after this campaign citing "misses the day to day involvement of club management"

I think Burley's on a hiding to nothing.

The Weejia don't fancy him. I don't think all of the players want to play for him. And those that do don't have the ability to play in the style he wants them to.

I actually think Scotland should have appointed Rainer Bonhof the senior squad manager. He'd done a decent job with the U21s during his 4ish years and I think he'd have been able to progress this young squad further.

That's why I think Levein should have been given the job......

He seems to be the perfect man for it. Will he want it though? There isn't a lot to be optimistic about at the moment and I think he'd be better off staying with Dundee United. He's had to work hard to repair the damage that the Leicester job done.

The whole things a mess at the moment. It's a ****ing farce that Gary Teale and Kenny Miller are the best we have to represent our country.

He seems to be the perfect man for it. Will he want it though? There isn't a lot to be optimistic about at the moment and I think he'd be better off staying with Dundee United. He's had to work hard to repair the damage that the Leicester job done.

The whole things a mess at the moment. It's a ****ing farce that Gary Teale and Kenny Miller are the best we have to represent our country.

He'd be off as soon as he got an offer from the championship. Our only hope is to host a tournament coz thats the only way we'd qualify.

Burley has a bad apple in the squad, namely, 'Mac the Knife' Ferguson. His record so far:

He stuck up to the hilt in Berti's back.

He stuck it into PLG's back.

And if he stays much longer in the current Scotland squad he'll plant it right between George's shoulder blades.

He should never have been anywhere near the Scotland captaincy.

'Bazza, you are the weakest link, goodbye and good riddence', should be George's message to 'the crab'.

The sooner George realises that Bazza is the problem the sooner we will turn the corner.

He's had some properly bad luck to contend with but also made some bad decisions. The amount of call-offs has been terrible for the qualifiers, to the extent that we could probably have fielded a team of unavailable or not picked players that would have been better than last night's team. He also had some shocking refereeing decisions which cost us at least a point in Macedonia and then a freak miss from Iwelumo against Norway that cost us a win.

Then again he's brought back guys like Teale (hardly the only manager to have picked him) and Alexander who have never been up to it and got tactics wrong in the first half of the Norway and Macedonia games. His choice of backroom staff has no helped him either. Pressley has no experience of coaching and Butcher is English and, rightly or wrongly, that's an issue with some people.

He's also no had the benefit of any 'gimme' games to get momentum up, and that is a huge part of any International manager's success or failure. The last qualifiers we got off to a great start with a win at home to the Faeroes by 6 goals then got a (lucky) win in Lithuania which got us off to a flier. This time round we start with two tricky away fixtures, one in 110 degree temperatures so we're on the back foot right away. He's also been a bit naive in agreeing to friendlies with the Czechs, Argentina and Croatia who are all better than we are and are all games that neither Smith or McLeish would have touched. They had the luxury of an extra two competitive games against the Faeroes to get their team together which Burley hasn't had.

He's already in the last chance saloon for Wednesday. If we fail to win that game then we are almost certain no to make the play-offs and I'd say he's lost the press (probably already has) and the fans. The disappointing thing is he's tried to bring in new, young players and been brave with some decisions that haven't paid off. Hopefully we'll win on Wednesday and then by the time next season rolls around the likes of Gordon, Hutton, Commons, Kevin Thomson, Shaun Maloney and McFadden will be fit and available. there's a very decent Scottish team in the making and I hope Burley gets the time to get it on the park. He won't if we don't win on Wednesday though.

Tynecastle Valhalla

have to admit i am very disapointed with burley's team selections.

i thought he would play the young enthusiastic guys but he has stuck with the likes of alexander (shocking marking for first goal), teale (never a footballer) and kenny miller (can't finish).

i was genuinely excited about scotland again when he was appointed. hopefully we will still qualify. if we do then we will see how good he really is.

there are a lot of scottish players out there who deserve a chance but not getting near the team.

Jamboinparis

I dont think Burley will be in the job that long. Question then arises, who will be the next manager? I think we need a manager that is going to be in it for a good few years so they can build up a decent team and bring through some younger players. This rules out Levein as I think he'd leave as soon as a decent job down south came up (or he'd get the sack after a year). Same with McGhee. Ive a few options, which might not be realistic or popular...

Walter Smith. He could be done at Rangers as soon as the summer, and even if he isnt I dont expect him to be there after next season. After that, where would he go? He could still do the Scotland job for a while.

Alex Ferguson. Retiring in the next year or 2. Probably everyones dream, but realistic? I dont know. We'd have ZERO call offs if he was in charge. Managers would encourage their players to go work with him.

Another Berti. Go with another foreign manager. England and Ireland are doing well with them. They cant all be as bad as Berti...

I cant think of any other managers who would realistically be a good appointment. The job would either be used as a stepping stone by some (which isnt good imo) or Scottish managers in the championship probably hope that staying where they are is a better route to premiership management.

I dont think Burley will be in the job that long. Question then arises, who will be the next manager? I think we need a manager that is going to be in it for a good few years so they can build up a decent team and bring through some younger players. This rules out Levein as I think he'd leave as soon as a decent job down south came up (or he'd get the sack after a year). Same with McGhee. Ive a few options, which might not be realistic or popular...

Walter Smith. He could be done at Rangers as soon as the summer, and even if he isnt I dont expect him to be there after next season. After that, where would he go? He could still do the Scotland job for a while.

Alex Ferguson. Retiring in the next year or 2. Probably everyones dream, but realistic? I dont know. We'd have ZERO call offs if he was in charge. Managers would encourage their players to go work with him.

Another Berti. Go with another foreign manager. England and Ireland are doing well with them. They cant all be as bad as Berti...

I cant think of any other managers who would realistically be a good appointment. The job would either be used as a stepping stone by some (which isnt good imo) or Scottish managers in the championship probably hope that staying where they are is a better route to premiership management.

Ferguson would never take it - has said so himself.

When Burley goes the only choice on a on-man shortlist should be Kenny Dalglish. Press, fans and players would all respect him and he'd be given more leeway to build a team than anyone else.

Tynecastle Valhalla

walter smith walked out on scotland, as did alex mcleish. they are all s**mbags.

mcgeady, mcculloch, boyd etc they are all absolute s**mbags. why would we allow smith to take the job again?

no co-inceidence that they are all related to the old firm. no-one should be above their country.

I hope he's given time to get properly into the job. Too many unjustified sackings in football.

Going slightly off-topic, I get fed-up reading about how K Boyd will not play for Scotland "as long as Burley is the manager", as if his stance is legitimate. I wish that the authorities would make it clear that this kind of selective retirement is not on (allowing David Weir back didn't help).

Of course, the best way to enforce that is for George to have a long and successful period as Scotland manager and let Boyd stew in his own juice.

Or better still, Boyd could grovel, apologise and get back into the squad.

Fergie was my dream choice as well, could keep his hand in the game once he's retired fom Man U. I know he won't do it though. If Gordon Smith managed to talk him into it I would never slag of the SFA ever again.

Glamorgan Jambo

I've a lot of time for Burley as a manager but he's one bad result away from living on borrowed time. I admire how he's tried to change the way the team play from the turgid negativity of the Smith/Mcleish axis but he'll have to learn that guys like Gary Teale, Ross McCormack and Graham Alexander are never going to be good enough at this level. here's hoping he gets a break on Wednesday.

I've a lot of time for Burley as a manager but he's one bad result away from living on borrowed time. I admire how he's tried to change the way the team play from the turgid negativity of the Smith/Mcleish axis but he'll have to learn that guys like Gary Teale, Ross McCormack and Graham Alexander are never going to be good enough at this level. here's hoping he gets a break on Wednesday.

If guys like McCormack arent good enough then we're well and truly ****ed! Easily one of the better Scottish youngsters who have came through recently.

portobellojambo1

I personally do not think Burley will be manager for much longer, although as I have previously alluded to, I am not a big international football fan, so do not really care.

However for some to say that George Burley is a poor manager, based on what he has achieved with Scotland, is wrong. Anyone who is a Hearts fans knows exactly what he can achieve as a manager. However I would say he is probably not suited to international management, because of one major difference from club football, you cannot sign players or transfer away bad players at international level, you lay out your stall with what you have available to you.

And what Scotland have at the moment is a p*ss poor selection of players, as many of the recent squads, and performances, have shown.

If Burley could get Scotland playing the way he had Hearts playing Scotland would be at the top end of international football. But to achieve what he did at Hearts meant bringing in some players to top up on what we already had. He doesn't have that luxury at international level, if your best player in any given position or positions is chronically crap you just have to get on with it, or change them, to a player who tends to be worse than your original selection.

I think both McLeish and Smith would struggle with the present crop of players, in fact most managers would.

If I were Burley I would get out and look towards getting back into club football. Although that could be the worst thing to happen from a Hearts perspective.

Given that he now appears to be settled in a family home in Edinburgh, a luxury he never had when manager of Hearts, and given that we were recently discussing the chance that the credit crunch/financial crisis has given us to get in about Rangers and Celtic, chances are that if he leaves Scotland or is dismissed by Scotland his next stop could be Ibrox, which is not what we want.

He does have the ability to turn them (Rangers) round, he doesn't have the resources (players) to make Scotland what they are not, i.e. a top end international side.

I feel sorry for Burley, from the start the weegie has been on his back and the idiots who read their stuff just follow on and believe whatever they read instead of evaluating each game themselves. I'm not saying Burley hasn't made mistakes in personnel and tactics but all managers do to some extent, look at our own Csaba! Sometimes it goes for you or against you. However whilst he's in charge we should be backing him to the hilt.

Look at last night, we played well in spells but were undone by some bad defending, the dutch obviously are a cut above. We had a perfectly good goal disallowed and Kuyt fouled McGregor on the second goal but hardly anybody has mentioned it in the press, if that was McLeish or Smith in charge the papers would have been full of indignation. They suppress the good stuff and play up the bad because they want us to get on Burleys back and they want him fired.

Who they want to take over i have no idea because just now there's really not many candidates, doubt they bother to think that far ahead.

deesidejambo

Burley is a lightweight. He should have brought subs on earlier to keep key players fresh for Wednesday.

Guest jambomickey
Manager of Finland.

there was a time when he was linked with every scottish job that came up and he's never got one of them.

Drylaw Hearts
there was a time when he was linked with every scottish job that came up and he's never got one of them.

I think he was linked with just about every job full stop .

Glamorgan Jambo
If guys like McCormack arent good enough then we're well and truly ****ed! Easily one of the better Scottish youngsters who have came through recently.

If Cardiff have their first choice X1 out McCormacks on the bench. He's started well in the Championship but nowhere near ready for the likes of Holland.

To me, it doesn`t make much difference who is Scotland manager as you`ve not got much to dabble with.

Scotland will have wee purple patches now and again as we saw under Smith and McLeish but there will never be consistency until the standard gets better.

Against the Dutch Burley went all against what he was preaching. He was talking about players expressing themselves but all we witnessed was a lone striker totally isolated for most part and a midfield sitting so deep they hardly came into shot on tv when we attacked.

Early on the Dutch defence looked unsure but we didn`t see it and at half time we should have came out for the 2nd half with two up top and had a go. Over the years Scotland have done the 4-5-1 thing away from home to death and had little success apart from the odd glorious night. So what does that tell us? Just have a pop ffs.

We`re as well beaten 3-0 having a go because we don`t have the quality like Italy or A N Other to make 4-5-1 get results regularly.

shaun.lawson
When Burley goes the only choice on a on-man shortlist should be Kenny Dalglish. Press, fans and players would all respect him and he'd be given more leeway to build a team than anyone else.

Except that his best is about 14 years behind him. The jobs he did at Newcastle and Celtic were pathetic: like George Graham or Howard Wilkinson, he was a great manager once, but time has moved on. What worries me if Burley fails is that Scotland will just return to a typical Largs mafia appointment: I imagine there'll be a media clamour for Smith to get the job again, which given his manner of walking out first time round, would be absolutely laughable.

Levein and McGhee would doubtless be candidates; as, just conceivably, could Strachan, who is surely better qualified than the other two. Fergie won't take it: it's too late for him now. But it all depends on what Scotland want. England swallowed our pride long ago and appointed first one foreigner, then another. Ireland - with more success over the last two decades than Scotland - managed to lure Giovanni Trapattoni, one of the world's great managers. So who might Scotland be able to get if the SFA really pushed the boat out and went for it for once?

jambopompey

please no, he has messed up every management job he has had, he continued the work when he took over the Liverpool, but lost it not long afterwards.

I will restate what i did at the start of this thread, elements of the media have had it in for Burley from day one, many who read their stuff have just jumped on the bandwagon, why i am not sure but they have had so since his appointment was made

shaun.lawson
I can't see Scotland going for a foreign coach, again, any time soon. Fingers burnt severely last time, despite Sven's critics he was fairly succesful. Its just the media down south think they should be winning the world cup playing football that would make the Hobos drool, whilst winning every game 10-0!

Strachan, is actually not a bad shout, he may get bored at Celtic and a change of scenary may suit. IMO Levein and McGee would bring nothing that Burley hasn't.

The fundemental issue is we have a dearth of quality. I don't think anyone can really say under Burley the players don't know what they're meant to do, unlike, Berti. It's just, sadly, they aint good enough.

It's easy to say but we need changes at grass roots level.

Of course. But without having a world class manager at the helm, would Ireland have a chance of qualifying? Would England have a chance of maybe doing something when we get there? No, in both cases. McClaren and Staunton's periods in charge were both so farcical that something radical had to be done. And if you look at Ireland's current position, what might a world class manager be able to do for Scotland?

Incidentally, England didn't appoint Capello because of the media. We appointed him because no-one English is anywhere near well enough qualified for what is a horrendously tough job, arguably the toughest in international football anywhere. Whoever's in the post needs the hide of a rhinoceros, no naughty extra-curricular activities in their closet, a CV of obvious success at the very highest level, in depth tactical know how and to command respect among players and public alike. Martin O'Neill was my first choice and Guus Hiddink my second choice when Second Choice Steve was appointed; Klinsmann my first choice when Don Fabio got the job, because I thought Klinsi would bring in real grassroots change across all age groups as well as do a decent job as boss.

I've written on here that I think Sven did merely a competent job, all things considered. But had an Englishman been in charge instead, I'm sure we'd have done a damn sight worse. As it is, whether Capello can break through that quarter-final barrier is the real question: if he does, he'll be a success; if he doesn't, the jury will be out.

jambopompey
Of course. But without having a world class manager at the helm, would Ireland have a chance of qualifying? Would England have a chance of maybe doing something when we get there? No, in both cases. McClaren and Staunton's periods in charge were both so farcical that something radical had to be done. And if you look at Ireland's current position, what might a world class manager be able to do for Scotland?

Incidentally, England didn't appoint Capello because of the media. We appointed him because no-one English is anywhere near well enough qualified for what is a horrendously tough job, arguably the toughest in international football anywhere. Whoever's in the post needs the hide of a rhinoceros, no naughty extra-curricular activities in their closet, a CV of obvious success at the very highest level, in depth tactical know how and to command respect among players and public alike. Martin O'Neill was my first choice was Second Choice Steve was appointed; Klinsmann my first choice when Don Fabio got the job, because I thought Klinsi would bring in real grassroots change across all age groups as well as do a decent job as boss.

I've written on here that I think Sven did merely a competent job, all things considered. But had an Englishman been in charge instead, I'm sure we'd have done a damn sight worse. As it is, whether Capello can break through that quarter-final barrier is the real question: if he does, he'll be a success; if he doesn't, the jury will be out.

i feel that there was no one the english media would have had as manager, a few outsiders including harry judas, but they ran a story that blew him out of any chance, if i was a foreign manager i would take a close look at the way our media have treated managers in the past, Berti got it soon after he started, he never knew how bad our set up was, to be honest he tried his best, giving (too many yes) players a chance to show if they could handle the step up.

Smith and McLeish got a good send off from the media even though they both left the job for club jobs.

Except that his best is about 14 years behind him. The jobs he did at Newcastle and Celtic were pathetic: like George Graham or Howard Wilkinson, he was a great manager once, but time has moved on. What worries me if Burley fails is that Scotland will just return to a typical Largs mafia appointment: I imagine there'll be a media clamour for Smith to get the job again, which given his manner of walking out first time round, would be absolutely laughable.

Levein and McGhee would doubtless be candidates; as, just conceivably, could Strachan, who is surely better qualified than the other two. Fergie won't take it: it's too late for him now. But it all depends on what Scotland want. England swallowed our pride long ago and appointed first one foreigner, then another. Ireland - with more success over the last two decades than Scotland - managed to lure Giovanni Trapattoni, one of the world's great managers. So who might Scotland be able to get if the SFA really pushed the boat out and went for it for once?

Who thought Walter Smith would be a good appointment when he got the job? sacked from his last post and hadn't won a trophy since 1997? yet he knew what was required to get us on an even keel. Dalglish was a far better manager than Smith as well. I don't particularly care to get involved in defending his record at club level, his involvement at Celtic (where he was only the manager for 4 months, a job he didn't want) was poor but his record at Newcastle is better than anyone who has come since Keegan, including Bobby Robson.

Trapattoni one of the world's great managers? in 1993, aye. Since then he's won a league with Bayern and one with Benfica, nothing in Italy and was a disaster as manager of Italy with one of the best squads in the world. His time with Ireland is misleading in my book as well. Lucky wins against Georgia and Cyprus at home, still to play Italy twice and Bulgaria and Cyprus away, I think they'll get found out.

Levein, Mcghee and Strachan? Levein and McGhee have won nothing between them and both failed in England. what makes them a better choice than Dalglish? Strachan won't be interested in it now but would be a better shout than the other two.

International football requires someone who can coach, someone who has the respect of teh players and who the fans will get behind. I think Dalglish qualifies on all three counts.

shaun.lawson
Agree with most of what you say, bud. Though I think both Ireland and the England have better players than we do. I think the difference is Scotland went with a foreign manager, results deterioted, appoint a Scot things improved. That was not the case in England, the opposite happened!

IMO, Sven did a good job. The fact that England have now re-set there sights as getting past QF of a major championship, tells its own story. Despite all the undoubted talented England have at there disposal, due to the media they are fundemtally overated. Bar Italian 90 I don't think they have been past the QF's, since 66. Thats not bad luck thats not being good enough! (By the way I'm not actually English, kind of St. Johnstone to me)

It was a huge difference in results between Sven and McLaren. Whilst I don't rate McLaren, he ain't that bad. Also in defense of Sven his time at Man City may indicate he is much better than he is given credit for.

Anyway I digress.

My point, was whether its right or wrong, can't see Scotland going down the foreign coach root anytime soon.

Then again maybe the SFA conspiracy is so far reaching that they will appoint Csaba just to **** us jambos off!!!!

Yes - but history tells us England are almost always quarter-finalists: it's our pass mark, but hardly represents excellence on the part of the manager who gets us there. England finished in the top eight in 1954, 1962, 1966, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1992, 1996, 2002, 2004 and 2006, but on only four occasions did we go any further. Those that managed this - Ramsey, Robson and Venables - can be considered a success; those who merely achieved par neither succeeded nor failed.

What it also means is that to break this barrier, managers need real vision and imagination. The three successful England bosses all did - and significantly, all abandoned 4-4-2. Eriksson simply did not: under him, England were horrendously ponderous and predictable far, far too often, and he didn't seem to have a clue what to do about it. I think you underestimate just how tough an environment international football is: if you're not someone with a record of excellence or deep tactical knowledge, you'll more than likely fall flat on your face. Hence what happened to McClaren, Keegan or Taylor; hence what's not happening to Capello.

shaun.lawson
Who thought Walter Smith would be a good appointment when he got the job? sacked from his last post and hadn't won a trophy since 1997? yet he knew what was required to get us on an even keel. Dalglish was a far better manager than Smith as well. I don't particularly care to get involved in defending his record at club level, his involvement at Celtic (where he was only the manager for 4 months, a job he didn't want) was poor but his record at Newcastle is better than anyone who has come since Keegan, including Bobby Robson.

Trapattoni one of the world's great managers? in 1993, aye. Since then he's won a league with Bayern and one with Benfica, nothing in Italy and was a disaster as manager of Italy with one of the best squads in the world. His time with Ireland is misleading in my book as well. Lucky wins against Georgia and Cyprus at home, still to play Italy twice and Bulgaria and Cyprus away, I think they'll get found out.

Levein, Mcghee and Strachan? Levein and McGhee have won nothing between them and both failed in England. what makes them a better choice than Dalglish? Strachan won't be interested in it now but would be a better shout than the other two.

International football requires someone who can coach, someone who has the respect of teh players and who the fans will get behind. I think Dalglish qualifies on all three counts.

Hang on. You think Dalglish did a better job at Newcastle than Robson, who inherited a relegation threatened shambles and took them to successive finishes of 4th, 3rd and 5th? Kenny, meanwhile, inherited one of the most vibrant sides in the country, promptly discarded Ginola, Asprilla and Ferdinand... and brought in Alessandro Pistone, Jon-Dahl Tomasson, Temuri Ketsbaia, John Barnes, Stuart Pearce and Ian Rush. Granted, he was unlucky in Shearer being seriously injured - but he turned them into relegation candidates in only a year, and his name is dirt on Tyneside. Rightly so too IMO.

What makes you think he didn't want the job at Celtic? Seems a bit odd to laughably sue for unfair dismissal then, doesn't it? Somehow, in his three months in charge, he compiled a worse record than John Barnes - and in any case, treated the whole DoF thing like a paid holiday, incredibly almost refusing to return to Scotland to deal with the Caley Thistle fallout. My own view is he lost much of his passion for the game at Hillsborough, and has been extremely sensitive and susceptible to pressure since, hence his not having taken a job since 2000. He's yesterday's man.

As for Trap: "nothing" since 1993? Does that include Fiorentina, who he led to 3rd place, CL qualification and their most successful season for many years? They put Arsenal out of the following year's CL too. Then it was on to Italy, with whom his overall record read:

P44 W25 D12 L7

Funny - that seems quite decent to me. Italy were extremely consistent throughout his four years: the problem was they were hideously unlucky in both major tournaments he led them in. At the first, in 2002, they had no fewer than four goals wrongly disallowed in the group stages, and yet another against Korea in the last 16. That's a tournament, incidentally, that pretty much the entire world believes was fixed. Then the bonkers head-to-head rule put them out of Euro 2004, where they were effectively punished twice for one result and penalised for not having the fortune to meet Sweden or Denmark in their last match. The rule's a joke, and UEFA should scrap it.

I don't think there was any great difference between how Lippi led Italy and how Trap did. Lippi was just slightly more positive: and crucially, a lot luckier. Trap's certainly well past his best now, but is still up there; what scares me is I think you reckon Dalglish is at least as good!

Charlie-Brown

Scottish football doesn't need changes at grassroots level - the problems & their solutions begin at the top.....

1) Country needs to be put before Clubs - only the SFA can impose this culture instead of being weak and too considerate of the self-interests of the 2 most powerful clubs - this is the biggest issue in terms of the national team - is it subservient to the needs of the Old Firms various interests or can it regain control & dominance? That squad or team selections should be questioned because of the non-inclusion of certain players is a farce, that players can decide which managers they are willing to play for is a joke - that players can have dubious attendance records but somewhow be fit for the meaningful games is a joke - that the Scotland manager(s) can put club offers and interests above the national team is a joke - the the national team should arrange fixtures that don't coincide with Old Firm games or interfere with Old Firm european preparations or other important games is a joke.....

2) The Dutch FA (KNVB) have a football philosophy and it is implemented from top down and bottom up from elite level to grass-roots level - youth development and tactics and player development and coaching and the education and development of players and coaches at all levels is thought out throroughly and implemented - and it doesn't change with the change in national teams managers or club managers but is applied consistently year after year, decade after decade - afterall it stands to reason if you develop good players and young players ultimately you will reap the reward - Scottish football (THE SFA) doesn't have any such philosophy and it doesn't take think-tanks or SPL managers meetings and it doesn't take millions to be invested in facilities - it takes people and programmes and hard work on the training ground and on pitches and commitment and persistence and the people at the top ensuring that standards of players and coaches and performance levels are improved and that the best players come through the system and are given opportunities and if there are bottlenecks or part of the system that fail then the will & determination to sort these out.

These problems are solvable - they are not financial they are political and having the will to implement them and see them through - not change direction with every new manager, not be controlled by the clubs managers or chairmen or vested self interests, not use lack of money or facilities as an excuse - it takes hard work & determination that all.

Scottish football doesn't need changes at grassroots level - the problems & their solutions begin at the top.....

You are quite interested in youth football so I'm surprised you would say that.

Scotland (Britain) 100% does need changes at grassroots level, it's deeply flawed.

Charlie-Brown
You are quite interested in youth football so I'm surprised you would say that.

Scotland (Britain) 100% does need changes at grassroots level, it's deeply flawed.

The people at the bottom can't decide to change football for the better AP - they are not in control - they don't decide national policy or set standards - yes they can be helped and improved and taught how to be more effective and how to do the (mostly) voluntary job they do much better - but these things are decided at the top - it is the SFA who has to develop the structure and the programs and see that they are implemented and help improve the level of coaching and how players are taught - and at the elite level of the professional clubs monitor standards of players and coaches - if there is a 'winning is everything' mentality persisting in grassroots football who can change that? Who can decide who can & can't teach football if teams & clubs want to participate in official football? Who can decide what standards of accreditation must be achieved? It starts at the top not the bottom.......the brain must decide then the body can act.

Charlie-Brown

Yesterdays game was lost because Ernie Walker, Jim Farry, David Taylor and Gordon Smith as well as Andy Roxburgh, Craig Brown, Walter Smith & Alex McLeish really haven't done enough to ensure Scottish Football is the best it possibly can be and because for 25 years Dutch kids have been taught to play football a better way than Scots kids.... there is endless debates and excuses year after year, decade after decade about what the problems are and how root & branch change is needed and lack of finances & summer football etc etc......but precious little leadership - nobody crusading for change & also leading & implementing change - who is nailing their colours to the mast and saying they will work ceaselessly to improve Scottish football? Where is the passion and leadership instead of think-tanks & talking shops and excuses/reasons why things can't be done?

$ilvery_Moon

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned him as a possible candidate for Burley's replacement yet. A young manager who is progressing very well and has been very successful. Ferguson could very well be the next Scotland manager. Just not Sir Alex :wink:

Hang on. You think Dalglish did a better job at Newcastle than Robson, who inherited a relegation threatened shambles and took them to successive finishes of 4th, 3rd and 5th? Kenny, meanwhile, inherited one of the most vibrant sides in the country, promptly discarded Ginola, Asprilla and Ferdinand... and brought in Alessandro Pistone, Jon-Dahl Tomasson, Temuri Ketsbaia, John Barnes, Stuart Pearce and Ian Rush. Granted, he was unlucky in Shearer being seriously injured - but he turned them into relegation candidates in only a year, and his name is dirt on Tyneside. Rightly so too IMO.

What makes you think he didn't want the job at Celtic? Seems a bit odd to laughably sue for unfair dismissal then, doesn't it? Somehow, in his three months in charge, he compiled a worse record than John Barnes - and in any case, treated the whole DoF thing like a paid holiday, incredibly almost refusing to return to Scotland to deal with the Caley Thistle fallout. My own view is he lost much of his passion for the game at Hillsborough, and has been extremely sensitive and susceptible to pressure since, hence his not having taken a job since 2000. He's yesterday's man.

As for Trap: "nothing" since 1993? Does that include Fiorentina, who he led to 3rd place, CL qualification and their most successful season for many years? They put Arsenal out of the following year's CL too. Then it was on to Italy, with whom his overall record read:

P44 W25 D12 L7

Funny - that seems quite decent to me. Italy were extremely consistent throughout his four years: the problem was they were hideously unlucky in both major tournaments he led them in. At the first, in 2002, they had no fewer than four goals wrongly disallowed in the group stages, and yet another against Korea in the last 16. That's a tournament, incidentally, that pretty much the entire world believes was fixed. Then the bonkers head-to-head rule put them out of Euro 2004, where they were effectively punished twice for one result and penalised for not having the fortune to meet Sweden or Denmark in their last match. The rule's a joke, and UEFA should scrap it.

I don't think there was any great difference between how Lippi led Italy and how Trap did. Lippi was just slightly more positive: and crucially, a lot luckier. Trap's certainly well past his best now, but is still up there; what scares me is I think you reckon Dalglish is at least as good!

He also had them finish 2nd in the league and got them to an FA Cup final. Relegation threatened? no really, they finished 13th and as you say, without far and away their best player for most of the season in Shearer. he did try and rebuild too soon (inheriting a club where Keegan had scrapped the reserve team!) and made some bad signings, some very bad ones, but he also made some very good ones, getting Given from Celtic for nothing for instance. Tomasson is a world class player for whom Newcastle didn't work out btw. Getting rid of Ferdinand was a mistake, one he realised after Shearer got injured. Ginola was poor for Newcastle in Dalglish's time and it was a fair enough call in my book. Ginola did brilliantly for Spurs for a period after that, but there's no guarantee he would have done as well at Newcastle. Asprilla played his best football for Newcastle under Dalglish for what it's worth, but he was never consistent enough.

aye, his time as DoF at Celtic was a big mistake, but he was only manager for 3 months and did at least win the League cup I suppose!

Trapattoni I said has WON nothing in Italy since 1993, which is true. I think he's a decent manager but well past his best. I find your defence of his time as Italy manager laughable giving the squad of players he had. They were awful at WC 2002 against Croatia, extraordinarily lucky against Mexico to sneak through and Korea were the better team and deserved their win against a negative team, poor refereeing notwithstanding. Euro 2004 they were even worse. negative tactics, dropping deep to defend leads against inferior teams and a failure to beat either Denmark or Sweden, neither of whom were great teams, putting them out in the groups.

When you're managing Italy (like England), your overall record counts for hee-haw, qualification is taken for granted so you're judged on your tournament record and his reads P7 w 2 D 4 L 2. no good enough with a great squad of players, considering the best team they played was an average Croatia team.

Brown, McLeish and Smith have been the 'successful' Scotland managers of recent years. They have understood that we have no good players at international level and played an ultra defensive game.

Burley is currently making the same mistakes that Berti did - trying to play football with a very poor squad. He won't last.

Archived