The Dutch coach. Who is he?

Tazio

There's a piece on Football Focus just now that started off with a big intro basically saying who is he and that he wasn't a famous player who anybody knows.

Now lets look at some managers who were never great players, internationals or even players.

Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson, Shankly, Stein for example.

Why the obsession in football now that great players make great managers. Look at Brian Robson as a great example. They were talking him up as England manager as soon as he retired from playing. Turned out he was humpty. Roy Keane as well.

Charlie-Brown
There's a piece on Football Focus just now that started off with a big intro basically saying who is he and that he wasn't a famous player who anybody knows.

Now lets look at some managers who were never great players, internationals or even players.

Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson, Shankly, Stein for example.

Why the obsession in football now that great players make great managers. Look at Brian Robson as a great example. They were talking him up as England manager as soon as he retired from playing. Turned out he was humpty. Roy Keane as well.

Alan Shearer , Tony Adams , Richard Gough , Willie Miller ..... people just assume great or inspirational players or leaders will make great managers but being part of the team is very different to being a manager and the players boss not their team-mate or captain etc.

I think it's possibly that the great managers of today know they never made it as a player and what better way than to do it as a manager.

I'll bet they have more desire to suceed and more afraid of failure than your Robson's, Southgate's and Keanes etc who will believe their reputation alone is enough

Ibrahim Tall
Who is George Burley? What has he ever done that would earn him recognition abroad?

Won the UEFA Cup with Ipswich?

:ninja:

Charlie-Brown
Won the UEFA Cup with Ipswich?

:ninja:

Mechelen of Belgium won the Cup Winners Cup in 1988 - didn't exactly make them household names did it? :smash:

Charlie-Brown
would prefer to judge burley on what i seen with my own eyes when he was hearts manager.

I agree mickey but if your a Dutchman or other European all you would see is that Burley played for and managed some lesser UK football clubs.

The People's Chimp
Who is George Burley? What has he ever done that would earn him recognition abroad?

Oh dear.

Guest jambomickey
I agree mickey but if your a Dutchman or other European all you would see is that Burley played for and managed some lesser UK football clubs.

sorry charlie i see your point.

Charlie-Brown
Oh dear.

What's 'oh dear' liquidator? In the context of the OP what has George Burley done that would make him a known name in European Football?

If we say who is Bert Van Marwijk? they could equally say who is George Burley?

Drylaw Hearts
What's 'oh dear' liquidator? In the context of the OP what has George Burley done that would make him a known name in European Football?

If we say who is Bert Van Marwijk? they could equally say who is George Burley?

Burley played alongside Dutchmen Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijssen with Ipswich Town.

He was also in the Ipswich Team that beat Dutch side AK Alkmaar in the UEFA Cup Final.

He was also part the Ipswich Team that won the 1981 Amsterdam Tournament.

So it would be fair to say that there will be more Dutchmen that have heard of GB than there are Scots who have heard of Bert Van Marwijk.

:)

Charlie-Brown
Burley played alongside Dutchmen Arnold Muhren and Frans Thijssen with Ipswich Town.

He was also in the Ipswich Team that beat Dutch side AK Alkmaar in the UEFA Cup Final.

He was also part the Ipswich Team that won the 1981 Amsterdam Tournament.

So it would be fair to say that there will be more Dutchmen that have heard of GB than there are Scots who have heard of Bert Van Marwijk.

True DH many Scots are a quite insular and parochial people by nature. :smash:

Drylaw Hearts
True DH many Scots are a quite insular and parochial people by nature. :smash:

Many people from all nations will fall into that category CB.

Vladimir Romanov is probably one of them.

Mechelen of Belgium won the Cup Winners Cup in 1988 - didn't exactly make them household names did it? :smash:

That amuses me - puts Aberdeen's win in 1983 into a context of sorts! (Not that we've won a European trophy, but it takes a little of the glitter away).

dutch_jambo

Unless they remember when Van Marwijk took the mighty Feyenoord to UEFA cup glory by beating rangers on there way!

They seem to have done OK in your household. :biggrin:

Charles my boy - funny enough, tonight in Boston, I was having a drink with two work colleagues who are Flemish and are based in Mechelen. Talk turned to the beautiful game and they were ****ed off that we caved in to the Netherlands. Mechelen is more a household name in our house than Ipswich, but that might just prove one of your other points. Burley is nobody, but Mechelen is someplace :-)

I think that Burley also won manager of the year in the self styled 'best league in the world' while at Ipswich. Ahead of your Wenger's and Ferguson's.

Archived