Simon Cox

DB-14

i do think that we have to start seriously looking at the players in league one of the english divisions

there have been some amount goal scorers to come through there (ashton and earnshaw to name two)

if we get them early enough and can offer them an okay contract amount (less than championship level i'll admit) with the prospect of european football and the chance to move to a lower epl club should they do well in scotland should provide enough motivation

i do think that we have to start seriously looking at the players in league one of the english divisions

there have been some amount goal scorers to come through there (ashton and earnshaw to name two)

if we get them early enough and can offer them an okay contract amount (less than championship level i'll admit) with the prospect of european football and the chance to move to a lower epl club should they do well in scotland should provide enough motivation

I see what you are saying but I disagree.

It's not that I don't think there are good players to be found, there are. The problem is the English football economy. Players in the Championship and some clubs in League One are getting more wages than many SPL players. Also, your examples show ability but also prove that it is a market that we cannot exploit.

Dean Ashton to Norwich City = ?3 Million.

Robert Earnshaw to West Bromwich Albion = ?3 Million.

Since then, Ashton has only moved upwards and Earnshaw has jumped around a bit, but he has never been sold for less than ?2.5 Million.

Simon Cox will sell for a seven figure sum, and I am not convinced that would be market value. I would prefer we continued to scout the foreign markets for undiscovered players at far smaller fees, or try to pick up players on Bosmans.

As for the "lower EPL team" remark, we don't have many examples of that, off the top of my head Naysmith is the only one.

As for the "lower EPL team" remark, we don't have many examples of that, off the top of my head Naysmith is the only one.

Gordon ;)

Ah, that one eh! :)

Completely forgot about him.

too early for you mate? haha.

:qqb007:

Some of Peterborugh United's recent signings have shown that there is some really good players in the conference that would add to our team.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Issue I think is that most English people think Scottish football is pants!!

They need an incentive to come north which tends to price them out.

How many english players have we had in SPL in the last 5 to 10 years (I would say out with old firm but why not include them!) For Hearts Driver and Stamp,,,,,

Ok we can`t offer the cash,but surely if they`ve any ambition then the chance of European football puts them in the shop window for bigger clubs to sign them ...... so in my opinion it`s a win win as far as Hearts are concerned.

Issue I think is that most English people think Scottish football is pants!!

They need an incentive to come north which tends to price them out.

How many english players have we had in SPL in the last 5 to 10 years (I would say out with old firm but why not include them!) For Hearts Driver and Stamp,,,,,

Don't think you can include Driver as he was resident here for some time before signing but you can include Johnson and Hackett.

Gary Hooper from Scunthorpe is also on a fantastic scoring run but there is absolutely no doubt he will command a large transfer fee. English football is in a poor position financially but so is the whole of Britain. I can't see us spending any sort of fee on a player any time soon.

Gary Hooper from Scunthorpe is also on a fantastic scoring run but there is absolutely no doubt he will command a large transfer fee. English football is in a poor position financially but so is the whole of Britain. I can't see us spending any sort of fee on a player any time soon.

You are probably right but if we finalise the Goncalves deal and also sell Kingston, you never know. It's fairly certain however that we can't go on a wild shopping spree.

Guest jambomickey

i'm sure csaba has a few striker in mind but whether he'll get the backing from above is the problem.

i'm sure csaba has a few striker in mind but whether he'll get the backing from above is the problem.

He got backing for Tullberg and Obua so hopefully that will continue.

Guest jambomickey

it was clear he wanted another striker for 2 transfer windows and a replacement for berra but didn't get the backing.

Gigolo-Aunt
it was clear he wanted another striker for 2 transfer windows and a replacement for berra but didn't get the backing.

In the last window, 50k was spent by Celtic.

Times are hard Mickey.

On one hand you want all the younger players in the side, on the other you want Csaba to be backed by signing players.

Which is it to be?

Guest jambomickey
In the last window, 50k was spent by Celtic.

Times are hard Mickey.

On one hand you want all the younger players in the side, on the other you want Csaba to be backed by signing players.

Which is it to be?

ga i want us to go down the youth road but surely csaba wasn't asking for too much? we got ?9 million for gordon, ?2 million for bednar, money for pospisil, let go goncalves, pinilla, beslija, another couple of million for berra.

Gigolo-Aunt
ga i want us to go down the youth road but surely csaba wasn't asking for too much? we got ?9 million for gordon, ?2 million for bednar, money for pospisil, let go goncalves, pinilla, beslija, another couple of million for berra.

We did get that money bud, but you better believe it cost to get others of the wage bill.

Nows not the time to be spending silly money.

Youth and good contacts are the way forward.

Guest jambomickey
We did get that money bud, but you better believe it cost to get others of the wage bill.

Nows not the time to be spending silly money.

Youth and good contacts are the way forward.

ga i've said many times we need to live within our means and will back the board 100% on that! we should e competing with the likes of hibs, aberdeen, dundee utd etc for players! we can't afford the wages we pay to the likes of kingston, nade, aguiar.

Charlie-Brown

Chris Porter and Chris Killen were signed from English League One clubs and they proved to be effective SPL strikers (when fit) however they were signed on low cost or free transfers , I don't think any non Old Firm SPL club will be able in a position to pay any meaningful transfer fees.

Possibly a decent signing for us?

Firing in the goals for Swindon.

:D

Thoughts?

Despite what some would have you believe, not all English football is very good. Swindon are murder, Cox stands out a bit but he never got a sniff when he was at Reading. Watching League one (or should I say the English 3rd division) would make you think the SPL was a top notch league.

Captain Lithuania

A loan, and a free.

not wanting to have a dig at the OP but why do so many posters do this. see a guy score a couple of goals down south and then put a post up headed with said players name and then we should try and sign him.

can we just talk about players we are linked with instead of talking about players who have no link to us whatsoever and are unlikely to be linked to us.

Some of Peterborugh United's recent signings have shown that there is some really good players in the conference that would add to our team.

come on you POSH!!! we're gonna win the league:sorcerer:

This mornings NOTW suggests that Newcastle and West Brom are battling it out to pay ?1 Million for him.

Charlie-Brown

Csaba said in an article recently he knows all the players that are out of contract in the summer which suggests that is the market we are looking at and can afford.....so guys who are under contract and would command a reasonable transfer fee are probably a non starter - sure it's always enjoyable to debate players merits and learn about new players and threads like these are useful....but threads about players we might have a genuine interest in and who we can afford are better. :)

Possibly a decent signing for us?

Firing in the goals for Swindon.

:D

Thoughts?

I mentioned Simon Cox in a previous thread as a good option. There are plenty of good players in the lower leagues in England. We need to get scouts down there on a regular basis and try and sign some of these guys before any of the larger Champ/EPL teams get a sniff of them. Permanent English based scouts are the way forward especially in the current climate. There have been several good players picked up from the lower leagues, and we need to get in there and try and grab some.

Got a mate who is a Swindon fan. He told me that there are numerous Premiership scouts watching him now, and Swindon will sell as he only scored 3 goals a season at his previous 3 clubs - which is why he is at Swindon.

Archived