What were they thinking?: Rotten tunes by Great Acts?

topcat

There's been worst tunes of all time threads and greatest bands of all time threads but sometimes these two worlds collide. Yes Timmy Mallet's "Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" was dreadful but that's hardly surprising is it. He's Timmy Mallet.

What is more noteworthy is when somebody who should know better produces something dross.

Even an act's most ardent devotees will admit that their catalogue contains some stinkers...

My Nominations

Worst Album: Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed, Admittedly I've only heard half of it but that's probably more than most people have managed to sit through. Apparently it was recorded as a deliberate attempt to **** his record company off. Neil Young did something similar by recording Country music but Neil Young turned out to be quite good at that too.

Worst Song: Led Zeppelin, D'yer maker, Arguable the greatest rock band of all time attempt to do reggae but forget to tell the drummer. The phenomenom of rockers doing really bad attempts at reggae was widespread at the time but only Blondie got anywhere Close.

Worst Moment: The opening of the "Guitar" Solo on Queen's "I want to break free". It must have seemed like a good idea at the time to play it on a a keyboard but 25 years later it now just sounds really corny. It was probably one of the first keyboards to allow you to bend notes so maybe they were just showing off it now sounds cheap and tacky.

Lifetime Achievement Award: David Bowie, Nobody has been so consistently inconsistent for quite so long

a little piece of me died when the mighty captain sensible of the damned disgraced his 1976 london punk heritage by going off on his 'happy talk' abhoration.

now when you mention the captain, people say "oh that guy who did that song from south pacific" instead of remembering him for what he is... a punk god.

why captain?

My beloved Thunder covered the Stones "Honky Tonk Women" and it was woefull not "Their Finest Moment". Led Zep's Coda what a plie of crap that was. There is more just can't remember at the moment

scots civil war

got no problem with the captain heading into charted territory with happy talk

he made money and was sticking a finger up to the authorities at the same time

he got away with singing `im a lucky **** `in front of the nation ,as part of the lyrics

for me its eloise...i know its a cover but it soured it for me

got no problem with the captain heading into charted territory with happy talk

he made money and was sticking a finger up to the authorities at the same time

he got away with singing `im a lucky **** `in front of the nation ,as part of the lyrics

for me its eloise...i know its a cover but it soured it for me

agreed. the whole era was a pile of pish to be honest. like the phantasmagoria album. cynical commercial selling out.

scots civil war

yeah,there does come a time when bands or solodudes have to face facts though

`i need to make a bit wedge` scenario and ditch the integrity(if they had any of course)

thats when it can all go horribly wrong for the disciples

I P Knightley

Great theme, TC.

You've already alluded to the first two that sprang to my mind, "D'Yer Make 'er" and The Thin, White Duke ("The Laughing Gnome" was my specific thought, although the duet with Bing Crosby is another wtf? moment).

Might need to go away and think about this. My two top artists (Springsteen & The Who) have each come out with stuff that makes you wonder what they're on.

The whole Tunnel of Love/Human Touch/ Lucky Town era was a bit of a downer for me with Springsteen but the stories have unravelled and it's clearer now what was going on with him at the time so they're not the howlers they appeared at the time.

Same with Squeeze Box from The Who. Why did such an intense and analytical man as Pete Townshend write a song that is little more than a thinly veiled pun on women's buzooms? It's a song which juxtaposes wonderfully with Pictures of Lily which seems genuinely rooted in sexual development and allows me to use the word 'juxtapose' in a correct and appopriate fashion. Get in!

Crowded House - Woodface is a fantastic album.

It unfortunately has 'Chocolate Cake' on it - a rank effort.

Listened to out of context "the Laughing Gnome" sticks out but when it was recorded Bowie was a little known comedy tunesmith rather than a rock star.

I reckon it's actually quite a good tune that would have fitted well on a Bonzo Dog Doodah Band album. If he'd stuck at it he could have got a regular gig at Radio 4 and been the Mich Benn of his day.

It's only if your primed to expect something from the guy that recorded Heroes and Ziggy Stardust that it dissapoints.

Recording The laughing gnome was a triumph when compared to "Little Drummer Boy" with Bing Crosby, or descending into self parody while covering "Dancing in the streets" with Mick Jagger, or forming Tin Machine,

And I've not mentioned "Hello Spaceboy"

Chad Sexington

I cant even get half way though Golden Lights by The Smiths, it's so unimaginably awful. :56:

One of the very few duffers in their discography.

Listened to out of context "the Laughing Gnome" sticks out but when it was recorded Bowie was a little known comedy tunesmith rather than a rock star.

Not true.

Bowie was a Mod.

"Can't Help Thinking About Me"

"Do Anything You Say"

"I Dig Everything"

All before the Laughing Gnome.

Not saying that the laughing gnome wasn't a bizarre choice of single, but Bowie was more than a "little known comedy tunesmith"

youngbowie1.jpg[/img]

"What's next? Ha ha ha, hee hee hee.....nah, it'll never work!"

Chad Sexington
Not true.

Bowie was a Mod.

"Can't Help Thinking About Me"

"Do Anything You Say"

"I Dig Everything"

All before the Laughing Gnome.

Not saying that the laughing gnome wasn't a bizarre choice of single, but Bowie was more than a "little known comedy tunesmith"

youngbowie1.jpg[/img]

"What's next? Ha ha ha, hee hee hee.....nah, it'll never work!"

Correct. The tracks you mention were cracking Mod cuts.

The Comedian

Boris The Spider by The Who

*Shudder*

Drugs were obviously used but that's no excuse for this awful song.

Correct. The tracks you mention were cracking Mod cuts.

Indeed Chad.

You should check out The Shotgun Express also for some top notch early Rod the Mod classics too.

Chad Sexington
Indeed Chad.

You should check out The Shotgun Express also for some top notch early Rod the Mod classics too.

Good shout Boris.

Heard a couple of 60's duets that Rod did but never listened to The Shotgun Express.

I'll check them out :sorcerer:

Good shout Boris.

Heard a couple of 60's duets that Rod did but never listened to The Shotgun Express.

I'll check them out :sorcerer:

Genius. A band also including Mick Fleetwood, Beryl Marsden & Peter Green.

I P Knightley

*Shudder*

Their most requested song while on tour.

Perhaps more for the affection the fans hold for John Entwistle (the song's composer) than for the musical integrity of the song but I've not been at a Who concert in recent years when the crowd haven't shouted up for 'Boris', often with acknowledgement from Townshend & Daltrey. At one of the O2 gigs before Christmas, they knocked out a dozen bars or so of it when larking around and the crowd went crazy (to borrow a lyric).

Struggling to think of other examples but I'm sure there are many metal/heavy rock bands who have released ill-advised 'ballads' or 'anthems'. There's that one with the whistling - Winds of Change - that springs to mind but I don't know if the band were any good in other regards.

Black Sabbath - Changes. Wrong.

Struggling to think of other examples but I'm sure there are many metal/heavy rock bands who have released ill-advised 'ballads' or 'anthems'. There's that one with the whistling - Winds of Change - that springs to mind but I don't know if the band were any good in other regards.

The Scorpions had their moments. Especially if you like bands who see nothing silly in song titles like "Rock you like a hurricane".

Not quite as wrong a Ozzy rerecording it with his daughter.

And whether you're a fan of Motorhead or the Nolan Sisters (or somewhat improbably both) you'd have to agree that their brief collaboration was ill advised.

Their most requested song while on tour.

Perhaps more for the affection the fans hold for John Entwistle (the song's composer) than for the musical integrity of the song but I've not been at a Who concert in recent years when the crowd haven't shouted up for 'Boris', often with acknowledgement from Townshend & Daltrey. At one of the O2 gigs before Christmas, they knocked out a dozen bars or so of it when larking around and the crowd went crazy (to borrow a lyric).

Marguerita Time by The Quo 1983 = ouch!

*Shudder*

Brilliant song in my opinion. Not as good as tattoo (also done by John) but The Who had a sense of humour. Did he not really have a spider?

Mr God Awful Ugly
agreed. the whole era was a pile of pish to be honest. like the phantasmagoria album. cynical commercial selling out.

and Anything was even worse than Phantasmagoria:hammer:

Still to find anyone I like more though.

I'd be surprised if there was a band that's been going for a couple or so decades that hasn't released a pile of pish at some point or another. Even Bob Dylan has released some howlers i.e. Self Portrait et al.

Most recently, The Verve. fantastic band, so what the **** were they thinking about when they produced "Love is Noise"?

Toxteth O'Grady

Rolf Harris did some cracking songs like Sun Arise, 2 Little Boys and Jake the Peg.

Why oh why did he have to lose all his credibility by singing that awful dirge Stairway to Heaven?

Denny Crane

Jaw dropped after hearing the Manics' Lifeblood album. Thankfully Send Away the Tigers proved that to be a minor blip.

Metallica's Re-load as well. Even Lars says it shouldn't have been released.

I'd be surprised if there was a band that's been going for a couple or so decades that hasn't released a pile of pish at some point or another. Even Bob Dylan has released some howlers i.e. Self Portrait et al.

Most recently, The Verve. fantastic band, so what the **** were they thinking about when they produced "Love is Noise"?

Love is Noise isnt that bad. The new album, they probably shouldn't have bothered with though.

and Anything was even worse than Phantasmagoria:hammer:

Still to find anyone I like more though.

i like a couple of songs from 'Anything'.

'Anything' itself and Psychomania.

Mr God Awful Ugly
i like a couple of songs from 'Anything'.

'Anything' itself and Psychomania.

yep, the best songs on a poor album.

Celine Dion singing You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. :42:

Wrong way about!

She's a crap artist murdering a great song!

We're looking for great artists doing crap songs:

A few of my friends rate Eloise as one of their favourite songs - one even got it played at his wedding.

I was a huge fan of Faith No More, and could not believe it when they released "Easy" as a single.

Anything by Snow Patrol is gash.

Thats not in doubt, but we are talking about bands that are generally good releasing something completely awful.

Graham Coxons first album.

Blur were great in their time then he went solo and came up with this pretty poor effort.

Fortunately he has went on to prove he is actually a decent solo artist too. Last couple of albums have some really good stuff on them.

Graham Coxons first album.

Blur were great in their time then he went solo and came up with this pretty poor effort.

Fortunately he has went on to prove he is actually a decent solo artist too. Last couple of albums have some really good stuff on them.

I thought the sky is to high was a really good album, far better than some of his other solo efforts.

A solo coxon album was never going to be similar to some of blurs more popular stuff.

Pentonville - Babyshambles

A **** poor reggae song sang by General Santana smack bang in the middle of an indie-rock album.

Ass Like That - Eminem

There are a few Eminem tunes you could have in here but this is the worst. So much of what's wrong with hip-hop right now in 4 minutes, cringeworthly pop and very cliched.

Stabbed - Glasvegas

**** poor song that just doesn't fit on the album.

PsychocAndy
Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You.

FFS.

I hate that song, but have you heard his cover of Redemption Songs, truly the most awful attempt ever. Black Lace could have done better, the truly flickin' awful Snow Patrol could have done better.

I real hate to say this but Joe Strummers version was pish too

PsychocAndy

Nirvana - Come as you are

Ripping off the mighty Killing Joke's Eighties

Come to think of it Nirvana released more pish than good records

JT's & Irons
Celine Dion singing You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC. :42:

Anything she has ever done is rank.

Anything with the name Sex Pisols on it after Never mind the Bollocks in particular anything Sid Vicious did.

Anything she has ever done is rank.

Anything with the name Sex Pisols on it after Never mind the Bollocks in particular anything Sid Vicious did.

Never Mind The Bollox was fantastic but I give you 'The Great Rock & Roll Swindle'. From memory, a complete travesty of an album that includes such classics as 'Who Killed Bambi' and Ronnie Biggs wittering on like a pist up uncle at a very bad karaoke party. Truly awful.

News of the World by Queen : some of the most dreadful stuff imaginable.

Archived