Reply from the BBC.

bn jambo

just got this reply today from the BBC, Can't for the life of me remember when i originally complained about something, but by the looks of the reply it was about the amount of time it took to put up the highlights of a Hearts Match, interestingly enough the aportion blame to setanta and bt vision rather than saying that rantic are the big draw for viewers.

your thoughts Gentlemen?

Dear

Thanks for your email to BBC Scotland. I am sorry that you think the BBC

has failed you. I hope I can explain our production process, which dictates

when the matches can go online.

The contract we have with the SPL allows us to post online up to five

minutes of highlights of the Saturday matches from 6pm on a Sunday, the

highlights of any Sunday games at midnight on the Sunday, and for midweek

games the highlights can go online from midnight of the night of the game.

On Tuesday, 3rd March, we had the highlights of St Mirren v Aberdeen and

Falkirk v Dundee United online at midnight, a few hours after the games

finished. The reason we could get those games online so soon was that we

had feeds of the games coming in to our offices here at Pacific Quay in

Glasgow. One match was being recorded for BBC ALBA, another was on Setanta.

When we can get access to the video feeds of games, we can edit the matches

as they are happening, then arrange for a commentator to describe the match.

On Wednesday, 4th March we had the Rangers v Inverness CT game coming in

from a BT Vision feed and the Kilmarnock v Celtic game was on Setanta.

Therefore, we could do a quick turnaround and get these games online at

midnight.

However, for the games at Hamilton and Hearts, we didn't have pictures

until we got tapes of the games the following day. We get these edits from

Setanta and so we must wait until they are ready. Once we receive tapes

from Setanta we may re-edit the games and we add our own commentary or

voice-over. Often, these are just two or three minutes in duration. We do

not have access to footage of the whole games to extract more highlights.

I posted the highlights of these two games just after 6pm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7927138.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7927120.stm

Of course, we would like to publish all the match highlights at the same

time, but this is not always possible. To have our own cameras at all the

games and feed the pictures back to Pacific Quay would be very expensive,

so we think the existing set-up offers the best value for licence fee

payers.

You are no doubt aware that the pictures we are able to access tend to be

those of the Old Firm because they are the biggest draw for Setanta and BT

Vision, who have contracts with the SPL to broadcast matches.

I hope this answers your query.

Best wishes

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Thats not a bad reply from the Beeb as it goes and explains why we dont get many highlights of the Hearts games on their site.

"We get these edits from

Setanta and so we must wait until they are ready. Once we receive tapes

from Setanta we may re-edit the games and we add our own commentary or

voice-over. Often, these are just two or three minutes in duration. We do

not have access to footage of the whole games to extract more highlights."

The editor's at the Oirish based Setanta don't seem to like us.

Strange that.

That's a fair enough reply. One of the few times I've seen someone complain and actually get a decent answer to their question. I never knew Setanta only sent the BBC 2 or 3 minutes of highlights, I would've thought they were sent a bit more and got to choose what to put on.

So when the Beeb are doing their thing on Alba, they're to blame and every other time it's Setanta making the decision to send 5 mins of OF highlights and 2-3 mins for everyone else?

Cheers Setanta.

complete cobblers if you ask me.

bring back the old days of football highlights when bbc and stv each covered one game. it used to be a wee thrill to walk along gorgie road and see the camera lorries down behind the shed.

heartgarfunkel

The reply is so decent it must surely have something to do with David Harron, good lad, good Jambo and Beeb producer.

Carl Spackler

This has been explained by other posters before. Basically Setanta are providing a **** service. You need only look at the BBC's Scottish Cup highlights to see the difference.

The SPL should be ensuring better standards of presentation of their product. It's widely accepted that the SPL standards have dropped. This may be true but you can still dress it up a bit more.

When the English 1st division became the EPL did footballing standards suddenly jump? Or were the FA extremely astute in having Saatchi & Saatchi look at their game and re-brand the whole shooting match? (Adam Crozier by the way, Scottish, went to Heriot Watt, instrumental in producing what the English have today.)

I'm not comparing the two as like for like. The EPL is obviously bigger than the SPL, more so now than ever, but this gap has been widened through investment and marketing of the EPL. Selling the match rights is only one part of the equation and whilst Setanta may have been the best option for the SPL in this regard I would argue that Setanta is selling the SPL short.

2 and half minute highlights and Scott Booth FFS. There's room for a wee bit of improvement.

So when the Beeb are doing their thing on Alba, they're to blame and every other time it's Setanta making the decision to send 5 mins of OF highlights and 2-3 mins for everyone else?

Cheers Setanta.

Not really Setanta's fault as far as I know redm

The whole 'highlights package' thing was laid out on a previous 'Sportscene' thread on here.

I believe the filming is done by STV's outside broadcast units - same as in the old Scotsport days of the 70s.

They are paid by the SPL ( not Setanta ) to film the whole 90 mins and the SPL then sell on 'chunks' of it to the highest bidder !

If I've read it right it is then the STV team who slice it up and pass on the ****ty 2:50 mins to BOTH Setanta and the BBC for on-line broadcasting ( under orders from the SPL to keep the juicy stuff back for the prime Saturday night 'package' .............the one that nobody was prepared to pay the SPL's asking price for :smash: )

Anyway, I think that was a decent reply from the BBC all the same

I thought it was a decent reply . and i may have missed a previous thread, but this is from the horses mouth, so to speak, i like the explanation i got even if i can't remember exactly what i wrote ,but the whole "whovere has the rights supplies a few minutes" thing is wrong. the spl even although they are all bum bandits are getting shafted for the product.

marshallschunkychicken

So the BBC are not to blame for the p***poor quality of their highlights.

Fair enough. Their pundits are still s***e though.

So the BBC are not to blame for the p***poor quality of their highlights.

It's certainly a good, detailed reply from the BBC producer.

But it is someone's fault that we don't get a decent Saturday highlights show, either the SPL for overpricing it, or the BBC for not being prepared to pay for it.

Given that we are the people who pay for Scottish football by going to watch it, and who pay our licence fees, someone is short-changing us.

for a change i don't think it's the spl's fault, things like this are put out to tender and the team with the most money wins the prize and dictates to the rest, ok the spl has to pick the biggest fish but it's probably not there fault one tv channel is dictating what we can watch.

for a change i don't think it's the spl's fault, things like this are put out to tender and the team with the most money wins the prize and dictates to the rest, ok the spl has to pick the biggest fish but it's probably not there fault one tv channel is dictating what we can watch.

I think though that there is an extended highlights package available but none of the TV companies is prepared to pay what the SPL are charging. So it might be the SPL's fault for pricing it too high.

I think though that there is an extended highlights package available but none of the TV companies is prepared to pay what the SPL are charging. So it might be the SPL's fault for pricing it too high.

Which is a complete disservice to the fans of Scottish football who can't watch highlights of any contentious tackles or refereeing decisions because all we get in the current "highlights" are goals, sending offs and occasionally near misses.

We're being shafted.

Hopefully the SPL will learn their lesson for next season.

The Wicker Man

I'm suprised that the BBC still gets 'tapes'.

cameraman.jpg

Bring back 'Sport in Question' (?) with Archie McPherson - it was always good to see Gerry McNee squirm.

Which is a complete disservice to the fans of Scottish football who can't watch highlights of any contentious tackles or refereeing decisions because all we get in the current "highlights" are goals, sending offs and occasionally near misses.

We're being shafted.

Hopefully the SPL will learn their lesson for next season.

I wouldn't hold your breath JJ

It was different in the old days when the SFA did their best to stop us peeking over the fence to see what the English had on their plate !

However we now get to see MOTD up here and unless we kick up a right stink I cant see the bean counters over at the GBC in Glasgow wanting to spend money on a Scottish version to be beamed out at the same time on a Saturday night ?..............hell I'd probably complain to them that I'd prefer to keep MOTD :56:

Guest S.U.S.S.

Cant believe adults take the pet and complain about when highlights are put online.

Nearly as sad as people still complaining sportscene is crap.

:10800:

Mr Brightside
Cant believe adults take the pet and complain about when highlights are put online.

Even worse when the reply has been lifted from weeteam.net and past as OP's own.

Even worse when the reply has been lifted from weeteam.net and past as OP's own.

Bull**** send me your address and i'll post you a copy of the email i was sent, i'll also forward it to you if you pm me your email address.

Living down in the south east of england and trying to watch any highlights of hearts matches i can't make it to, if you were in the same position and had to wait an extra day when rantic matches got put on 6 hours after final whistle you would get the hump aswell!!!

Mr Brightside
Living down in the south east of england and trying to watch any highlights of hearts matches i can't make it to, if you were in the same position and had to wait an extra day when rantic matches got put on 6 hours after final whistle you would get the hump aswell!!!

Appologies if what you say is true.

I seen this first though maybe a mulitple response from the BBC

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=146330

Hobos copying me i'm afraid look at the time they posted the thread and when i posted it.

just had another look and it seems it's possibly a blanket reply as he has the same details at the bottom as i do.

Hobos copying me i'm afraid look at the time they posted the thread and when i posted it.

just had another look and it seems it's possibly a blanket reply as he has the same details at the bottom as i do.

02.58 pm was always earlier than 15.02 when I was at school..................but who's counting? :innocent:

Harry Roberts
02.58 pm was always earlier than 15.02 when I was at school..................but who's counting? :innocent:

ooops

your quite correct.

Wrong.............it says 02.58 pm ..........the clocks go forward on Sunday morning. :nah:

Trained One
Wrong.............it says 02.58 pm ..........the clocks go forward on Sunday morning. :nah:

Yesterday, 03:58 PM The post time on the Hobo site.

Yesterday, 15:02 the time Bn Jambo posted his story.

WTF you on about clocks going forward on Sunday for? Bn Jambo clearly posted 56mins before the Hobit.

WTF you on about clocks going forward on Sunday for? Bn Jambo clearly posted 56mins before the Hobit.

A hobbit on that thread has just made the same point.

Apparently he was incapable of reading the OP over there.

Coincidence? Computer says no.

Wrong. The OP time over there clearly says Yesterday, 02.58PM : the 1st reply clearly says Yesterday, 03.11PM : the 2nd reply clearly also says Yesterday, 03.11PM : the third reply clearly says Yesterday, 03.22PM. BN Jambo clearly posted 4 minutes after the OP over there.

Wrong. The OP time over there clearly says Yesterday, 02.58PM : the 1st reply clearly says Yesterday, 03.11PM : the 2nd reply clearly also says Yesterday, 03.11PM : the third reply clearly says Yesterday, 03.22PM. BN Jambo clearly posted 4 minutes after the OP over there.

Fail

post_old.gif Yesterday, 03:58 PM #1
madjock9

Promising Youngster

George%20Best%2002.jpg

BBC reply re match highlights (Hertz & Hibs up slower than OF)

I wrote to the BBC complaining about the time it took to post highlights from recent games involving ourselves and or neighbours and asked about west coast bias. Nice to actually get a reply as posted below.

Dear Mr Jackson

Thanks for your email to BBC Scotland. I am sorry that you think the BBC

Harry Roberts

browser, i've now looked at it 3 times

are you drunk ?

and i'm also beat with the clock changing claims

maybe i'm drunk

yep 03.58 and not 02.58

?

I closed dowm my PC and when I rebooted I got 03.58 ...........apologies for being so stubborn on this but I was only going on what I saw..........................now I don't know whether to put my clocks forward or back tomorrow.:unsure2:

Mine says 3.58pm BUT Hibs.net is always an hour ahead for me. For example, the latest replies say 10:35pm rather than 9:35pm.

So I believe it was posted at 2.58pm. :qqb016:

Harry Roberts
I closed dowm my PC and when I rebooted I got 03.58 ...........apologies for being so stubborn on this but I was only going on what I saw..........................now I don't know whether to put my clocks forward or back tomorrow.:unsure2:

haha no worries browser

oh and spring forward, fall back

;-)

Mine says 3.58pm BUT Hibs.net is always an hour ahead for me. For example, the latest replies say 10:35pm rather than 9:35pm.

haha no worries browser

oh and spring forward, fall back

;-)

I'm totally confused with this...................but what the hell, bottom line is that the reply from the BBC, whether to a Jambo or a Hibby or both , was a full and fair reflection of their policy.

Harry Roberts

not being a member there i dunno, i was just reading what time i read

i'm checking out of this now

why would it be an hour ahead?

no, forget it, i'm out of here

not being a member there i dunno, i was just reading what time i read

i'm checking out of this now

why would it be an hour ahead?

no, forget it, i'm out of here

I don't know, it's always been like that for me for some reason. Ach well, who cares? :smash:

Mr Brightside

Strangely it is always an hour ahead on my work PC don't know why?

Mr Brightside
I'm totally confused with this...................but what the hell, bottom line is that the reply from the BBC, whether to a Jambo or a Hibby or both , was a full and fair reflection of their policy.

I agree

Archived