102 minutes that changed America, on history channel now....

Walter Bishop

Yeah I'm watching it. Shocking viewing, a lot of previously unseen footage as well. It's refreshing to just go through the events using only footage from members of the public with no commentary or anything.

Puts it all into perspective when you see it with no commentary. especially when you see that wall of dust & rubble go rushing down the streets.

Puts it all into perspective when you see it with no commentary. especially when you see that wall of dust & rubble go rushing down the streets.

The most shocking part for me is the people jumping out of the tower from hundreds of floors up. A horrible decision to have to make- plunge hundreds of feet to your death or burn? You can't imagine being in that position.

The most shocking part for me is the people jumping out of the tower from hundreds of floors up. A horrible decision to have to make- plunge hundreds of feet to your death or burn? You can't imagine being in that position.

true mate i for one wouldn't know what to do. some of the pictures being shown are truly shocking,

sitting here with goosebumps, every bit as shocked on that day, watching the scenes unfold before my eyes

the footage is incredible and moving

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I doubt I'll ever get bored of watching stuff about it. It's just so fascinating and hard to take in. Unbelievable.

Having been to Ground Zero it makes it all the more 'real' as well. The tribute centre is amazing, really have to hold back the tears. Touched a bit of the mangled metal from the towers as well which was strange.

i know what you mean AP

my first trip to new york was about 18 months after this happened and ground zero was all boarded off

on the hardboard the people had written messages of hope, sorrow, defiance and anger and reading those messages was incredibly moving. i can't describe the feeling at ground zero. i have never felt anything like it, and to be honest, hope i never do again.

having seen the place made it all the more real

watching the people just jump out of the buildings on TV was heartbreaking

shaun.lawson

I visited Ground Zero a year after 9/11. What appalled me were the tourists taking photographs everywhere, and the street vendors effectively making money out of the tragedy. My friend Amy replied "this is America - what do you expect?" True; it still stuck in my throat somehow though.

I visited Ground Zero a year after 9/11. What appalled me were the tourists taking photographs everywhere, and the street vendors effectively making money out of the tragedy. My friend Amy replied "this is America - what do you expect?" True; it still stuck in my throat somehow though.

Mrs Tazio is just back from New York and brought me a lighter with the Twin Towers on it. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified at the obsession with using any means to profit.

shaun.lawson
Mrs Tazio is just back from New York and brought me a lighter with the Twin Towers on it. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or horrified at the obsession with using any means to profit.

You want mawkish? That's mawkish.

davemclaren

Didn't see the programme. The last time Mrs McL and I were in NYC we went up to the top of the WTC. We are going again next month and not sure whether to visit the site or not.

Why did it appall you? It's a normal reaction if you ask me. I took photos myself because it's such a surreal thing and I wanted something to remember it by and show people who haven't seen it.

When I was at the site there was this guy going about screaming at all the tourists asking if they actually knew how many buildings had been destroyed and basically just going mental because folk were looking. Found it a bit weird.

shaun.lawson
Why did it appall you? It's a normal reaction if you ask me. I took photos myself because it's such a surreal thing and I wanted something to remember it by and show people who haven't seen it.

When I was at the site there was this guy going about screaming at all the tourists asking if they actually knew how many buildings had been destroyed and basically just going mental because folk were looking. Found it a bit weird.

Because it's weird, that's why. People died there. If others haven't seen it, there's nothing to stop them going themselves, is there? Ground Zero should be/have been a place to quietly mark your respects - instead, it was turned into this macabre tourist magnet, which I found very uncomfortable.

Johanes de Silentio

An absolutely tragic event, to be sure - and, no -two wrongs do not make a right - but was it realy an unprovoked attack, as many believe, or a reaction to years of aggressive US foreign policy?

Sorry, if that offends anyone, but I think it's a fair question.

shaun.lawson
An absolutely tragic event, to be sure, and, no -two wrongs do not make a right - but was it realy an unprovoked attack, as many believe, or a reaction to years of aggressive US foreign policy?

Sorry, if that offends anyone, but I think it's a fair question.

No doubt it was a reaction in part. But then, the fanatics responsible would've come up with any excuse, frankly. What do you expect from loons who think they have 72 virgins waiting for them if they do the deed?

In the days afterwards, I was staggered by the number of people I knew who seemed to have an attitude of "they had it coming" - and in Canada, their leader was thought by many to have waited to see how his people responded before saying anything. Are there many iniquities and injustices caused at least in part by Western foreign policy? Sure. Does it excuse or even explain the slaughter of thousands of innocents? Nope.

Because it's weird, that's why. People died there. If others haven't seen it, there's nothing to stop them going themselves, is there? Ground Zero should be/have been a place to quietly mark your respects - instead, it was turned into this macabre tourist magnet, which I found very uncomfortable.

Bit daft that. Not everyone can afford to go all the way across the world to see it!

It's hardly a 'macabre tourist magnet' imo, when I was visiting everyone was very subdued and respectful while taking photos or doing whatever else they were doing.

Bit easily offended Shauny boy. :sorcerer:

Watching it on +1. I have also visited ground zero in early 2003, about 18 months after the event. It really gets to you when you are reading the tributes and messages. It was a bit surreal there just now hearing the firemen saying they were on floor 78, and we know full well what happens next.

shaun.lawson
Bit daft that. Not everyone can afford to go all the way across the world to see it!

It's hardly a 'macabre tourist magnet' imo, when I was visiting everyone was very subdued and respectful while taking photos or doing whatever else they were doing.

Bit easily offended Shauny boy. :sorcerer:

Who, moi? Surely not! :sorcerer:

Father Tiresias

People also died in the fields of the Somme yet the area and the cemeteries are photographed every single day.

Last time I was in NYC I got talking to a firefighter in a bar close to the ferry terminal at Staten Island. He still has nightmares about the people who flung themselves to their deaths and what was left of them on the sidewalks.

shaun.lawson
Watching it on +1. I have also visited ground zero in early 2003, about 18 months after the event. It really gets to you when you are reading the tributes and messages. It was a bit surreal there just now hearing the firemen saying they were on floor 78, and we know full well what happens next.

I'm not watching it - but wasn't there a story that hundreds of people went back up the second Tower after being told it was safe?

shaun.lawson
People also died in the fields of the Somme yet the area and the cemeteries are photographed every single day.

Last time I was in NYC I got talking to a firefighter in a bar close to the ferry terminal at Staten Island. He still has nightmares about the people who flung themselves to their deaths and what was left of them on the sidewalks.

I can barely imagine. Good heavens, those firefighters were heroes.

That's the bit that's always interested (for want of a better word) me. Imagine how terrible it must have been to make a decision to jump 1000+ ft. ****ing hell. You just can't even begin to comprehend it.

This photo is unbelievable:

woman_waving_wtc.jpg

I'm not watching it - but wasn't there a story that hundreds of people went back up the second Tower after being told it was safe?

I believe that was the case. As someone said earlier it's the people hanging out of the windows trying to decide whether to jump. That's the most harrowing part for me.

Father Tiresias
I can barely imagine. Good heavens, those firefighters were heroes.

Some of the things he told us about searching through the debris were truely horrible. Many of his colleagues were so badly traumatised that they have never worked again.

Father Tiresias
That's the bit that's always interested (for want of a better word) me. Imagine how terrible it must have been to make a decision to jump 1000+ ft. ****ing hell. You just can't even begin to comprehend it.

With temperatures in excess of 2000 degrees, maybe the choice was made a little easier.

shaun.lawson

There's only one thing worse. Those who were in the lifts when the planes hit. Oh Christ.

There's only one thing worse. Those who were in the lifts when the planes hit. Oh Christ.

You may have been having a quick cup of coffee and staring out the window to an oncoming 747.

i don't think theres anything that would make me want to watch that again. i watched the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower live on tv and then sat glued to it for about 6 hours as it unfolded.

it was a very sad event thats changed all our lives whether we like it or not and tbh, the more its on tv the more its going to please the people that made it happen

Because it's weird.
Well, you made an effort to go there, is that not weird/macabre in some way?

Jamboinaberdeen - It brings to mind Charlie Brooker's point on screenwipe about the 24 hour news generation (much more than past generations) having this really strong obsession for just looking at things.

What's happening with Ground Zero now anyway? Is it gonna be a sort of memorial park or are they gonna build on it again?

I can see it becoming the sort of place kids visit for class trips for years to come much in the same way that British schoolkids visit Auschwitz

What's happening with Ground Zero now anyway? Is it gonna be a sort of memorial park or are they gonna build on it again?

I can see it becoming the sort of place kids visit for class trips for years to come much in the same way that British schoolkids visit Auschwitz

They're building on it, or will be once they get everything sorted out.

At the moment, if you get the subway into NYC from NJ, the first station you get to is World Trade Centre, which takes you round the side of the big massive crater.

Bit weird likes

alwaysthereinspirit

Dont want to imagine a scenario were jumping to certain death is the better option. Just sad.

alwaysthereinspirit

Amy obviously lives in a co****. No other countries sick bar steward would ever think of making money from a tragedy.

Optimus Prime
Didn't see the programme. The last time Mrs McL and I were in NYC we went up to the top of the WTC. We are going again next month and not sure whether to visit the site or not.

I've been up it as well about 18 months before it happen. I've never been back to New York since but if i do i've got absolutely no desire to go back to that site.

Last time you were in NYC, i heard you were in good voice down the subway

:punk:

Captain Sausage

I was in 6th grade in a public school in Houston when it happened. I didn't really understand what all of it was about when it came over the PA. I heard World Trade Center and thought it meant a big group of stalls where people were trading things.

Our Science teacher had the television on and was watching the news and I will never forget seeing the people diving from their windows down to the ground, and why these helicopters were filming and not saving people from the roof?

Everyone left at midday and I was one of about 3 people who came back to school that week in a class of 60 kids. Only when I got older did I really grasp what this meant to the average American family.

Archived