?2000 for your old motor

3inaBednar

My car is 9 year old and worth about 900 notes, I'd love to get rid of the rust bucket and get 2k of a new and already cheap as with another 2k off the already cheap price motor. Anybody else hoping this comes in? Will help the dealers but maybe not the manufacturers.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5904540.ece

From The Times

March 14, 2009

?2,000 deal to trade in used cars

Francis Elliott, Rachel Sylvester and Suzy Jagger

Lord Mandelson is preparing to put a ?2,000 bounty on used cars in an attempt to stimulate the motor industry.

Senior government sources said that talks were at an advanced stage and a deal could be announced in the Budget on April 22.

Under the proposed stimulus package, drivers would be able to turn in their car, which must be at least nine years old, and get a ?2,000 discount on the purchase of any new or one-year-old car bought at a dealership in Britain.

The motorists would have to deliver their old vehicles to one of a number of car recycling plants and receive a confirmation certificate. They would present this to a car dealer and get the government-funded ?2,000 discount. Motorists would be able to purchase any brand of car.

RELATED LINKS

New minister Mervyn Davies beat the crunch

Rolls-Royce must rise to the challenge

Whitehall aides said last night that no final decision had been taken but Lord Davies of Abersoch, the Trade Minister, gave the clearest hint yet that the Government was minded to introduce the scheme. In an interview with The Times, he said: ?The scrappage scheme has potential. It?s been tried in other countries . . . we?re looking at it very closely.?

There has been a surge in new car sales in Germany since the introduction of a similar ?2,500 scheme.

Roy Kishor, a car industry restructuring expert, at the consultancy Permanence, said: ?Scrappage is an absolute no-brainer. It addresses the two most fundamental issues facing the car industry today ? the first is that it creates demand, getting inventory moving and helping the car companies get back to manufacturing. The second is that it deals with emissions.?

The new or nearly-new cars that participants would be eligible to buy all have much lower carbon emissions than older cars.

The Government had been examining proposals to use public money to finance car loans by giving car finance companies access to the Bank of England?s special liquidity scheme. However, this has been opposed by Mervyn King, the Bank?s governor.

Bit of a joke if it does come in. Why should the car industry be treated differently from anybody else?

I've got an old piece of crap, finally all those taxes I've paid finally coming good

EDIT - Cigaro, 9-1/2 year old crap yellow Punto to get rid off this has got to happen

Geoff Kilpatrick

This is a nonsense. Surely a 'grey' market in old bangers has opened up as a result!

I've got an old piece of crap, finally all those taxes I've paid finally coming good

EDIT - Cigaro, 9-1/2 year old crap yellow Punto to get rid off this has got to happen

Where can I show my support?!:laugh:

North Berwick Jambo

Great time for buyers who have the funds, a mate of mine just got an amazing bargain, he found a very high spec 08 plate Vectra (over ?17K new) online for about ?8k he then got ?2k trade in on his crap focus aswell so he picked it up for just under ?6K! Although he did have to race down to Peterborough overnight to get it.

Great time for buyers who have the funds, a mate of mine just got an amazing bargain, he found a very high spec 08 plate Vectra (over ?17K new) online for about ?8k he then got ?2k trade in on his crap focus aswell so he picked it up for just under ?6K! Although he did have to race down to Peterborough overnight to get it.

I think I may have timed this buying a new car lark perfectly.:D

BoJack Horseman

What's to stop someone who is intending on buying new, buying a banger for a few hundred quid and then scrapping it for this discount?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm out a job

I'd like Gordon to give everyone in the country ?200 to have new business cards designed

What a half baked policy, half the country is worried about losing their jobs and there'll be 3 mill on the brew before the years out I'll wager, so new car purchases are right up there on the list of priorities.

I wonder if I shoiuld spunk the rest of my redundancy and finance the rest out my ?60 a week dole cheque

Brian Whittaker's Tache
What's to stop someone who is intending on buying new, buying a banger for a few hundred quid and then scrapping it for this discount?

Basically all bangers will now be worth ?2k

Now that it's been rumoured that's the car industry fekked until it comes in. Who's going to buy a car now - they'll all be waiting for this.

Presumably you'll have to present a v5 showing that you have owned the car for X number of years prior to legislation coming in.

Presumably you'll have to present a v5 showing that you have owned the car for X number of years prior to legislation coming in.

Good point Tam

The Irish did something similar maybe 10+ years ago ?..............although that was aimed more at getting old smoke belchers off the road and was probably part funded by the EEC

Archived