Scotland vs Holland Memories

7colquhoun

27 years ago today that we beat Holland,

http://www.rosscoandsalvator.co.uk/page_1000559.html

What's everyone's favourite memory of watching or being at at Scotland Holland game?

I've only actually been at 1 match between the 2, a friendly in 1994 which was bizarrely also on todays date. Bryan Roy scored the only goal of the game & I missed it cos I was getting the pies in!

My dad's favourite is the 0-0 draw at Euro 96 which he still reckons is the best atmosphered game he's ever been at.

Patrick Bateman

I must have forgotten McFadden's goal in a 1-0 win, prior to the 0-6 trouncing...

I must have forgotten McFadden's goal in a 1-0 win, prior to the 0-6 trouncing...

Whoooops! Schoolboy error, cheers mate!

portobellojambo1
Bizarrely it was 27 years ago today that we last beat Holland,

although we've had a few draws against them since then, what's everyone's favourite memory of watching or being at at Scotland Holland game?

I've only actually been at 1 match between the 2, a friendly in 1994 which was bizarrely also on todays date. Bryan Roy scored the only goal of the game & I missed it cos I was getting the pies in!

My dad's favourite is the 0-0 draw at Euro 96 which he still reckons is the best atmosphered game he's ever been at.

I know it was a two legged affair but did Scotland not beat Holland at Hampden 1-0 (McFadden scored I think) before going to Amsterdam and losing heavily (I know overall it still effectively was an aggregate defeat but over the initial 90 minutes Scotland did win (possibly pedantic way of looking at it)).

Best game I remember between the two was in the World Cup in Argentina.

11th June 1978 will be etched in my memory forever...Archie Gemmells goal and also I got married on the 9th so I could go out to watch the game.

Loved the game..... hated the marraige!

Guest Dipped Flake
27 years ago today that we beat Holland,

What's everyone's favourite memory of watching or being at at Scotland Holland game?

Was a brilliant atmosphere, especially in the pubs before the game. Two sets of fans partying together in the beer garden of the pub just yards away from the ground. The Swiss game was the same

[/font]

Was a brilliant atmosphere, especially in the pubs before the game. Two sets of fans partying together in the beer garden of the pub just yards away from the ground. The Swiss game was the same

That's what my dad said, the whole day was like that not just the match. Sounds like the Scotland v Sweden match in Italia 90 which I was at.

The last time I travelled to watch Scotland in the flesh was in the Dam 5/6 years ago.

Paid 150 euros for a ticket outside the ground with about 5 minutes till KO. Had the fortune of sitting in the Dutch end that night. Lesser of two evils I suppose, didn't have to sit with the clowns in their fancy dress attire!

Anyhow, that pumping we took finally vanquished any positive thoughts of ever following that shower of incompetents and spending my hard earned on anything to do with them!

Thankfully, the delights of Amsterdams helped me quickly get over the sorry episode. :smoking:

Guest Dipped Flake
The last time I travelled to watch Scotland in the flesh was in the Dam 5/6 years ago.

Paid 150 euros for a ticket outside the ground with about 5 minutes till KO. Had the fortune of sitting in the Dutch end that night. Lesser of two evils I suppose, didn't have to sit with the clowns in their fancy dress attire!

Anyhow, that pumping we took finally vanquished any positive thoughts of ever following that shower of incompetents and spending my hard earned on anything to do with them!

Thankfully, the delights of Amsterdams helped me quickly get over the sorry episode. :smoking:

Funnily enough that was my first game with the local Tartan Army lads. Thought it couldn't get any worse than that so kept going back for more. Have had some of the best days of my life following Scotland since so each to their own I suppose.

Filled with pride in 1978 during the game and filled with tears at the end. The thing is that they only took three minutes to get it back to 3-2. I was reading the London Hearts record of games between the two and they have tended to be pretty close affairs- save for the 6-0 drubbing. Most I've spoken to here have reckoned it will be a 2-0 win for the Netherlands.

Archived