Marton Fulop

Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson

Saved a first half Robinho penalty and was Sunderlands MOTM. I can't see Craig getting back in anytime soon, meaning we won't see any more of the transfer fee for a while, if at all.

I can see him asking for a transfer in the summer.

Who'd take him if he can't get a game for Sunderland?

Replacement for Boruc?

If Celtic lose Boruc in the summer to a bigger club (probably not as he has been poor this season) could you see him playing for anybody else in Scotland?

He Who Cannot Be Named
If Celtic lose Boruc in the summer to a bigger club (probably not as he has been poor this season) could you see him playing for anybody else in Scotland?

I dont think Craig would want to come back to Scotland this early in his career, i reckon he'd go to Italy or Spain

IMHO craig left 6 months to early, if he had stayed on a wee bit longer imo he could have had his pick of arsenal/man utd. both these teams keepers where either injured or vastly out of form at the time, and it would have forced them to go out and buy cg if the rumours that they where interested in him are correct.

Maybe Tottenham, Redknapp isn't happy with Gomez, Newcastle if they stay up, Villa might go back in the hunt as Friedel isn't getting any younger. Can't see Wolves to be honest as they have a decent young keeper in Wayne Hennesey

Also can't see Celtic getting him as they would have to outlay most of the money they'd get for Boruc which won't happen

A lot might depend on who gets the Mackems job once Sbragia gets bombed in the summer and also whether they are even in the EPL. They have some tough fixtures coming up and are by no means safe as things stand.

Neither Friedel or Schwarzer are getting any younger, Taylor is not a patch on Given at Newcastle and Howard is often a liability at Everton. I can see several teams being interested in him if he has to leave S'land.

I don't think he'll have to ask, clubs will come knocking.

I think some people are looking through maroon tinted glasses on this one. Gordon has not set the world alight in the Premiership and now can't get first team football at Sunderland. A lot of English clubs will be ignorant to his spell at Hearts now because it was a while back. If Gordon loses his Scotland place I think he'll end up at a club smaller than Sunderland.

A move abroad may be his best bet. Saying that, if he did move outwith the UK I think he'll lose his Scotland place to McGregor for good.

BobbyJenkins

I think good rival managers will be able to recognise good management in that Fulop has done very little wrong and therfore does not deserve to lose his place after Gordons injury.

First total feck up and Gordon will be back in.

That said I wouldnt betagainst him requesting a transfer...a premier team would be interested as per the fact they can see good managment.

He Who Cannot Be Named
I think some people are looking through maroon tinted glasses on this one. Gordon has not set the world alight in the Premiership and now can't get first team football at Sunderland. A lot of English clubs will be ignorant to his spell at Hearts now because it was a while back. If Gordon loses his Scotland place I think he'll end up at a club smaller than Sunderland.

A move abroad may be his best bet. Saying that, if he did move outwith the UK I think he'll lose his Scotland place to McGregor for good.

For what reason would one come to that conclusion?

For what reason would one come to that conclusion?

I just don't think the Scotland set up would choose him for first team football if he was not in the UK. I think it would be ignorance on their part, but can see it happening. Especially if Burley is for the chop soon.

If he's got good enough agents and advisers working on his behalf, Craig Gordon will get a move to a better club than Sunderland.

If he's got good enough agents and advisers working on his behalf, Craig Gordon will get a move to a better club than Sunderland.

I'd like to think so, but I can't see it.

If Gordon is playing first team football he will 100% be Scotland's No1, he may not even need to be with Burley in charge. He is having the first dip in his career but will get through it whether at S'land or elsewhere and be the stronger for it. He is 26 and has years ahead of him as a top class goalkeeper. Guys like O'Neil and Moyes will be well aware of his abilities and if it comes to it he will have several agents working on his behalf to secure a move. There is every chance S'land will have a new manager by the start of next season as well.

Guest Pressleyno1

Craig, if you are reading this thread, stick at it, prove the manager wrong, the Jambos know you are a talent and are right behind you.

If Gordon is playing first team football he will 100% be Scotland's No1, he may not even need to be with Burley in charge. He is having the first dip in his career but will get through it whether at S'land or elsewhere and be the stronger for it. He is 26 and has years ahead of him as a top class goalkeeper. Guys like O'Neil and Moyes will be well aware of his abilities and if it comes to it he will have several agents working on his behalf to secure a move. There is every chance S'land will have a new manager by the start of next season as well.

Depends what you mean by dip. More of a knock back / challenge. I still reckon he has been a tad unlucky on two counts.

1) His errors, are the type of errors where by some bizarre reason people believe keepers should never lose. Most of the goals I recollect him losing at Sunderland (where he has been blamed) have been what I would call blind side goals. As I mentioned on the MacDonald thread, if you can place a shot low down at a keeper between saving with hands or his legs, it is very difficult for the keeper. He was 'rested' last season on the back of a 7-1 drubbing at Everton where he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and indeed was saved Sunderland from losing a good few more. At that time Keane was playing a number of bomb scares in defence, notably mcShane.

2) Since Fulop came in, the Sunderland defence has tightened up. They took confidence from a 1 nil defeat to Man U when they never ventured from their 18 yard line. I'm not so sure this was down to a keeper change.

And as I mentioned in my thread above, I thought Fulop started following the flight path of a ball today he was never going to get. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different with Gordon, but there would have been more chance of a save. During the Liverpool Sunderland game a few weeks back, Fulop did this on about 5 occassions, one of which led to the first goal.

He is a miles better keeper than Fulop (and McGregor). It might take till the end of the season for things to turn around for him, but he will come out top.

The other thing to point out is that Sunderland's defence is more solid since Sbragia has been in charge, mainly because Nosworthy has been dropped. They are also much more defensive than they were under Keane. In most of their away matches they play with ten men behind the ball.

Regardless of how well a player does when another is out, I would always want my best player to come back when he's fit again. So I'm amazed that Gordon hasn't come back in.

With things are going, Sbragia is going to get Sunderland relegated.

He Who Cannot Be Named
Depends what you mean by dip. More of a knock back / challenge. I still reckon he has been a tad unlucky on two counts.

1) His errors, are the type of errors where by some bizarre reason people believe keepers should never lose. Most of the goals I recollect him losing at Sunderland (where he has been blamed) have been what I would call blind side goals. As I mentioned on the MacDonald thread, if you can place a shot low down at a keeper between saving with hands or his legs, it is very difficult for the keeper. He was 'rested' last season on the back of a 7-1 drubbing at Everton where he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and indeed was saved Sunderland from losing a good few more. At that time Keane was playing a number of bomb scares in defence, notably mcShane.

2) Since Fulop came in, the Sunderland defence has tightened up. They took confidence from a 1 nil defeat to Man U when they never ventured from their 18 yard line. I'm not so sure this was down to a keeper change.

And as I mentioned in my thread above, I thought Fulop started following the flight path of a ball today he was never going to get. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different with Gordon, but there would have been more chance of a save. During the Liverpool Sunderland game a few weeks back, Fulop did this on about 5 occassions, one of which led to the first goal.

He is a miles better keeper than Fulop (and McGregor). It might take till the end of the season for things to turn around for him, but he will come out top.

Its more of a knockback than a challenge as there is nothing he can really do untill Fulop makes a mistake or two, Craig has been unfortunate but im sure he's got a bit of bouncebackability about him.

Good post, agree entirely. I wasn't criticising Craig, far from it as I rate him very highly and am convinced he will go on to have a fantastic career. I was just suggesting that other than some of the nonsense he encountered when left out at Hearts he is having the first 'dip' in his career whereby things aren't going quite as smoothly. Very few players even at the top end of the game go through life without them.

Canadianjambo

Could it be that Sunderland want to get rid of Craig in the summer and don't want to pay Hearts any more based on appearences??

Could it be that Sunderland want to get rid of Craig in the summer and don't want to pay Hearts any more based on appearences??

I had been thinking along the same lines. Does anyone have any idea how Sunderland were paying us?

Very much my way of thinking as well.

IIRC, it is seven games before we get the next payment.

I find the whole Craig Gordon thing amusing to be honest. He was is so much of a hurry to leave us he picked the first team that came knocking, now he's no longer at HMFC the rest of his career has no interest to me, until he signs for one of the vermin from the west, then I'd hope it went totally t**s up for him

blondejamtart
I find the whole Craig Gordon thing amusing to be honest. He was is so much of a hurry to leave us he picked the first team that came knocking, now he's no longer at HMFC the rest of his career has no interest to me, until he signs for one of the vermin from the west, then I'd hope it went totally t**s up for him

Glad it amuses you, but it's certainly not how I recall the situation at the time...

You do realise that if he plays we get more money don't you?

Optimus Prime

Craig will play against Holland rest assured.

Sunderland are in a bit of a catch 22 at the moment, while their Premiership status is still under threat they are reluctant to trigger the appearance clause in Gordons contract which will involve shelling out ?2 million to Hearts. Hence Fulop plays until they are safe and next years Premiership money is secured. The downside from a Sunderland point of view is that doing this is ultimatley harming their chances of staying in Premiership by playing an inferior goalkeeper. They obviously believe playing Fulop is less of a gamble.

As for his movements next season Villa and Arsenal are both closely monitoring the situation.

I think Gordon will just have to wait for his chance to come again so he can get back in the team, they don't want to drop Fuloes as he's been playing well which is fair enough really. I hope that if he moves on he goes to a club with an experienced manager as I don't think either Keane nor Sbragia have helped matters much.

I kind of agree with the OP

Any time I have seen Fulop this season I've thought that he can pull off some top class saves. And I'm not sure how many top class saves I've seen Gordon pull off down there

Doesnt mean I think he is a better keeper, but I can see why Gordon might have to click his heels on a current form basis

Fulops inclusion in the Sunderland squad is no reflection on Gordon. I highly doubt a team would pay ?9m for a player then not use them because of an extra appearence fee. Craig could well end up in the Championship next season but I think that if he does, and is back playing regularly, he will perform as we know he can, and will go on to have a great career at one of the bigger clubs. IMO coming back up to Scotland and stagnating in the SPL would be the wrong choice.

Optimus Prime
Fulops inclusion in the Sunderland squad is no reflection on Gordon. I highly doubt a team would pay ?9m for a player then not use them because of an extra appearence fee. Craig could well end up in the Championship next season but I think that if he does, and is back playing regularly, he will perform as we know he can, and will go on to have a great career at one of the bigger clubs. IMO coming back up to Scotland and stagnating in the SPL would be the wrong choice.

The point is they've not paid the full ?9 million and i can understand the reluctance of a club to shell out ?2 million when you don't know which league you'll be in next season and the massive financial implications that has.

If Sunderland go down, they'll sell him to a Premiership club to ease any finacial shortfall of dropping out the Premiership and keep Fulop.

If they stay up he'll be reinstated as No1 and Hearts will most likely get their ?2 million. Having said that there is still a possibility he might go anyway even if they do remain in the Premiership.

He'll not come back to the SPL, in the short term anyway.

Quick couple of points:-

1) Not so long ago the figure being reported was ?300/?400k for the remaining payment (Maybe a question for Rodney at AGM, or CO before if possible)

and

2) I don't recall Fulop making too many unbelievable saves. He has had very steady handling behind a substantially more defensive style set up under Sgrabia.

Now that Sunderland are (points wise) only just above the drop zone, this ?400k (or ?2m) gamble , may be critical to the short term EPL future of the club.

Archived