Do the press hate us?

brux

I was surfing through the rags and found this:

Clearly Ruben never said that 'We proved we are the third best side in the SPL' and to me this is just the press trying to give the other teams something to pin up in the dressing room to spur them on.

So this got me thinking (maybe paranoia!) that the press always seem to not like it when we are doing well and love it when we struggle.

So my question is, do they hate us andwhy do they hate us? Is it just because of Vlad? They were never like this in the 90's, or do I have selective memory?!?

The press have to look like they are being impartial.

I dont think they even bother to hide their anti-Hearts agenda these days

No-one likes us. We don't care. The press have hated Hearts since the Gorgie Aggro days gave them the opportunity for negative headliness every week. :sorcerer:

As for Ruben, I'm extremely disappointed with his comment. Surely, having drawn with the team in second place on their patch, he should have said it proves we're the second best team in the SPL.

Clearly Ruben never said that 'We proved we are the third best side in the SPL' and to me this is just the press trying to give the other teams something to pin up in the dressing room to spur them on.

So this got me thinking (maybe paranoia!) that the press always seem to not like it when we are doing well and love it when we struggle.

So my question is, do they hate us andwhy do they hate us? Is it just because of Vlad? They were never like this in the 90's, or do I have selective memory?!?

Brux,

I'll give you a little tip when reding any article in the press, on any subject.

Ignore the headline and first 4 or 5 paragraphs. That's all about sensationalism, and hoping the reader will already have formed an opinion. Indeed, the rags especially hope that their standard reader moves onto the next article very quickly.

Any truth or content to a story tends to be from the middle section on when inverted comas are used and the truth, as per the spoken word, rather than the initial agenda of the journalist/sub editor/editor/owners.

I wouldn't worry too much.

portobellojambo1

I think to say the press hate us is possibly over stating the case a bit. I think, in Scotland, the football press, being mainly Glasgow based, tend to write stories for what they see as their main target audience, which in Scotland just happens to be Rangers and Celtic fans in the main.

Their manner of reporting, not only in relation to us but other non OF clubs, is not particularly kind, in many cases it is not worth reading, but I do not think it is based on hating us.

Their writing should be impartial of course, but for them to become impartial they could feel that rather than increasing their potential readership they could actually lose those they are trying best to keep happy. Not in that line of business so don't really know.

maroonlegions

Rangers in ruin after Hearts attack.

Published Date: 22 March 2009

By Andrew Smith at Ibrox

Rangers 2

(Lafferty 9; Ferguson 45)

Hearts 2

(Karipidis 64; Palazuelos 68)

IF AN alien spaceship had landed on the pitch and started pumping out the strains of 'Donald Where's Yir Troosers' it would have been no more unbelievable and inexplicable than what occurred over the final 26 minutes of yesterday's encounter at Ibrox.:biglaugh:

The above snippet is from The Scotland on Sunday.Its interesting that they have described Rubens goal as a "bouncing effort", looked a pretty well taken goal to me.

I was more interested in Whitaker?s comments TBH. What in the World makes him think Rangers are good enough to win the league? They are surviving on reputation alone. They were not great first half yesterday but we were dreadful. That?s been the way of things all season for Rangers. Some teams have learned to have a go at them at Ibrox but the Hamiltons, Killies and St Mirrens of the league still just go there and lie down...Hell we lay down first half. Our players were slack, had no self-belief and simply didn?t want it as much as Rangers in the first half. When we woke up, we realised that they are no better than us...

The Press are desperately trying to maintain the OF mystique but truth is that both are pretty weak teams at the moment. Celtic, though, have the potential in the squad to be far better than Rangers. Rangers are a bunch of old has-beens. Celtic just have an imbalance - too many wee guys in midfield leaving Brown to do all the physical work, and big lumps up front with McDonald, all of whom are missing a lot of their chances.

maroonlegions
I was more interested in Whitaker?s comments TBH. What in the World makes him think Rangers are good enough to win the league? They are surviving on reputation alone. They were not great first half yesterday but we were dreadful. That?s been the way of things all season for Rangers. Some teams have learned to have a go at them at Ibrox but the Hamiltons, Killies and St Mirrens of the league still just go there and lie down...Hell we lay down first half. Our players were slack, had no self-belief and simply didn?t want it as much as Rangers in the first half. When we woke up, we realised that they are no better than us...

The Press are desperately trying to maintain the OF mystique but truth is that both are pretty weak teams at the moment. Celtic, though, have the potential in the squad to be far better than Rangers. Rangers are a bunch of old has-beens. Celtic just have an imbalance - too many wee guys in midfield leaving Brown to do all the physical work, and big lumps up front with McDonald, all of whom are missing a lot of their chances.

True, the press are trying to paper over the OFs cracks, quality comedy.

no-one likes us we dont care

should we finish third this season it will be a fantastic acheivment by csaba and his players, but any Hearts fans expecting any kind of praise, from the media , football managers or other players will have a hell of a wait.

Its obvious it sticks in the craw of the establishment, and they wont admit that Hearts have done fantastic this season, if you compare where the club was a year ago, then Csaba Lazslo deserves enourmous credit, but the fact is he wont get it from anyone except other Hearts fans.

"If you see that your team plays this **** like we did in the first half, you can just run out of the stadium and say 'it's Mothers' Day tomorrow' and forget about the football. But we are guys, we are at Ibrox and we are still in the first half. I wanted to kill some of the people in my dressing room at half time. But the second half was sexy."

My god Csaba, I think I love you.

IMO the press have to sell to their a target audience.

Obviously, fan-base wise, rangers and celtic are the biggest clubs in scotland meaning more sales.

DunblaneHMFC
I dont think they even bother to hide their anti-Hearts agenda these days

Was looking through the Sunday Mail today (1st mistake!). One page in from the back is a nice big picture of Bruno and Ruben. It's just a pity they've seen fit to edit it so as there is no Ukio Bankas on the tops and the hearts badge on the right hand leg of their shorts has suddenly been replaced with an umbro badge!

Unbelievable!!!

Well put. Even when they were half decent it got me annoyed that the mystique, as you mention, still affected teams going there and subdued performances followed and an easy 3 points for the OF.

It`s bothered all of us for years. As i say, even when they were decent i didn`t think they were still unbreakable and it was more lack of belief and not having the right mentality that prevented Hearts from winning there more.

Gladly, in the last couple of years results have slowly inproved against the OF, Hopefully it continues.

Well put. Even when they were half decent it got me annoyed that the mystique, as you mention, still affected teams going there and subdued performances followed and an easy 3 points for the OF.

It`s bothered all of us for years. As i say, even when they were decent i didn`t think they were still unbreakable and it was more lack of belief and not having the right mentality that prevented Hearts from winning there more.

Gladly, in the last couple of years results have slowly inproved against the OF, Hopefully it continues.

One thing I always found strange was that Levein was so timid when visiting the OF with Hearts. It is somewhat ironic that we started having good performances against the OF when Robbo was the manager. Yes he was too cavalier but he clearly was not for going to Glasgow to lie down. Robbo?s team outplayed Celtic particularly a couple of times (though still only got a couple of draws due to the usual bad luck and poor officials). Burley continued this and also played the team with a better balance between attack and defence. Rix never managed to infuse the team with heart but he did have good players during his stewardship. Valdas had heart but was not his own man which must have been hellishly frustrating for him. Malofeev was nuts. Frail was insipid. Laslo is one cool dude - I think we have the right man in charge now for OF games. He?s lost at Ibrox, won at Tynecastle and now drawn at Ibrox. Record against Celtic is not so good but if he can get the team to play from the off in Glasgow, we?ll start to scare them again...

One thing I always found strange was that Levein was so timid when visiting the OF with Hearts. It is somewhat ironic that we started having good performances against the OF when Robbo was the manager. Yes he was too cavalier but he clearly was not for going to Glasgow to lie down. Robbo?s team outplayed Celtic particularly a couple of times (though still only got a couple of draws due to the usual bad luck and poor officials). Burley continued this and also played the team with a better balance between attack and defence. Rix never managed to infuse the team with heart but he did have good players during his stewardship. Valdas had heart but was not his own man which must have been hellishly frustrating for him. Malofeev was nuts. Frail was insipid. Laslo is one cool dude - I think we have the right man in charge now for OF games. He?s lost at Ibrox, won at Tynecastle and now drawn at Ibrox. Record against Celtic is not so good but if he can get the team to play from the off in Glasgow, we?ll start to scare them again...
To be fair to Levein he had a go at the OF at Tynie and there was many a right battle with Celtic. He did suffer some bad results home and away but he was unlucky at times. In particular a 4-2 defeat at Darkheid were Hearts came back twice to be finally edged in a n open game. There was also a 3-2 defeat at Ibrox in which we did have a go. I think early in his reign he was cautious but once he got the personel he wanted he opened up.

Levein did contribute to a more positive attitude towards the OF and it has been carried on.

The reason the press hate Hearts is because of two things...Romanov and the fear that he will expose what's been going on in the SFA for years and secondly, knowing that Hearts are the only team in the SPL that could be a threat to their beloved "bigott brothers" if the club was run properly and proffessionally, the thought of another club threatening to win the League and not one of those pair is reason enough to hate our club!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Robbo got a cracking 2-0 win at Parkhead...

The tabloid press have a habit of creating headlines that fit their own agenda rather than accurately conveying the true content of the article.

They do it with all teams, not just Hearts.

The tabloid press have a habit of creating headlines that fit their own agenda rather than accurately conveying the true content of the article.

They do it with all teams, not just Hearts.

:yes2:

Hearts are just a little more newsworthy these days. There's a cast of pantomime baddies and everything...

I don't think it's necessarily anything unusual, journalists always try to make the most of any potential scandal and Hearts have been better at providing that over the last year or two than anyone else has. But I do agree that there's an agenda on the go in Glasgow and that this stuff tends to suit them down to the ground.

Guest Fabuloso
:yes2:

Hearts are just a little more newsworthy these days. There's a cast of pantomime baddies and everything...

I don't think it's necessarily anything unusual, journalists always try to make the most of any potential scandal and Hearts have been better at providing that over the last year or two than anyone else has. But I do agree that there's an agenda on the go in Glasgow and that this stuff tends to suit them down to the ground.

You're obsessed by pantomimes!

You're right about Hearts providing more scandal than most. I remember lots of good things in the press when Burley was doing his bit therefore I don't think it's because of who Hearts are. Whether you support him or not VR is there to be shot down and therefore so is his team.

In short you can't win on this board. If it's a west coast bias the why does the EEN come in for such criticism? Anyone who doesn't report 'rosy in the garden' stories is automatically anti-Hearts. A bit like JKB really!

There's your answer.

He Who Cannot Be Named
Was looking through the Sunday Mail today (1st mistake!). One page in from the back is a nice big picture of Bruno and Ruben. It's just a pity they've seen fit to edit it so as there is no Ukio Bankas on the tops and the hearts badge on the right hand leg of their shorts has suddenly been replaced with an umbro badge!

Unbelievable!!!

Sometimes for whatever reason they reverse these pictures so instead of having the sponsor back to front they just cut it out.

You're obsessed by pantomimes!

You're right about Hearts providing more scandal than most. I remember lots of good things in the press when Burley was doing his bit therefore I don't think it's because of who Hearts are. Whether you support him or not VR is there to be shot down and therefore so is his team.

In short you can't win on this board. If it's a west coast bias the why does the EEN come in for such criticism? Anyone who doesn't report 'rosy in the garden' stories is automatically anti-Hearts. A bit like JKB really!

I'm surrounded by pantomime baddies...and a few pantomime dames...what can I do? ;)

As for the bias argument, just because the negative Hearts stuff can be justified it doesn't mean that they're not a little over-exuberant in the way that it's reported. Yes, occasionally Vlad and the club give them cause for print-mischief but there's a line that you wouldn't expect them to cross because it gets ridiculous but they often do it anyway. Plus, there's the regular dose of lazy journalism and that's the stuff that really irritates me.

I don't think we get a fair deal but then any club in our position in the SPL would probably be subjected to the same treatment. I try to take it as a sign that we're doing okay...most of the time...

Mr Brightside

Unbelievable!!!

I seen that too, unbelievable its a bank not an alcohol or tobacco firm on the shirt.

Archived