DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE HAVING 2 STRIKERS ON THE PITCH AND ACTUALLY ATTACKING MAKES

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

AP - there's a reason why neither you nor I are managing a professional football team, and Csaba Laszlo is. If Novo had scored, we could just as easily have been hammered - in which case everyone would be bitching instead. Csaba's strategy has been vindicated because of where we are in the league; and the spirit and belief we are showing is tremendous.

All football teams play poorly sometimes; all football fans think they know better than the manager. We found a way back into the game, got a fantastic point, and that'll do for me.

AP - there's a reason why neither you nor I are managing a professional football team, and Csaba Laszlo is. If Novo had scored, we could just as easily have been hammered - in which case everyone would be bitching instead. Csaba's strategy has been vindicated because of where we are in the league; and the spirit and belief we are showing is tremendous.

All football teams play poorly sometimes; all football fans think they know better than the manager. We found a way back into the game, got a fantastic point, and that'll do for me.

The contrast in performance from the 1st half to the 2nd half could not have been greater.

Want to know why? Because we actually had a go at what is a chronic Rangers team and it showed. Elliot was great when he came on. A breath of fresh air.

First half we could have played for a day and not scored. Why? Because Nade was up top on his own and we were getting over run in midfield even when we flooded it. Today has done NOTHING to convince me that 4-5-1 is the future.

The only reason I'm not a manager is because I've never tried to be one. FACT!

I think the reason in your case is you know very little about football or at least Hearts. ;)

4-4-2 works, it worked a treat today and if it can work against one of those two it should work against other sides. We looked dangerous today, we looked like we could score, but ONLY in the second half.

maroonlegions
DO YOU? :earmuffs::earmuffs::earmuffs:

Correct, i have been saying it for a wee while now , we need 2 up front.:sorcerer:

fantastic effort from all concerned to pull ourselves out of deep ****.

should we have started with a 4-4-2 based on what happened? who knows?

by the sounds of clum's performance then he's surely due a chance to start.

even better, we now have 3 strikers fit and in competition for 1 or 2 places. nothing wrong with competition.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Agree with AP.

I'm high as a kite and not thinking clearly, but right now I feel a front two of Elliot and Glen would eventually rip the other 9 teams in this league a new one.

maroonlegions

First half we could have played for a day and not scored. Why? Because Nade was up top on his own and we were getting over run in midfield even when we flooded it. Today has done NOTHING to convince me that 4-5-1 is the future.

The above has hit the nail on the head for me, Nade up front on his own, DOES NOT FECKING WORK.We are more of a danger when we play 4-4-2 and most teams now KNOW what to expect from Nade up front on his todd.

fantastic effort from all concerned to pull ourselves out of deep ****.

should we have started with a 4-4-2 based on what happened? who knows?

by the sounds of clum's performance then he's surely due a chance to start.

even better, we now have 3 strikers fit and in competition for 1 or 2 places. nothing wrong with competition.

Footballs a funny old game, isn't it? No one should pretend to understand it because it's just so unpredictable.

Clum definitely deserves a go. He was very good when he came on ... closing down, getting stuck in and even had a few good efforts on goal.

We are now looking at having Elliot/Tullberg/Nade/Glen available ... I really hope Laszlo realises that you don't have to play the way we did in the first half to succeed.

I've been refreshed by that 2nd half ... until next week like. :sorcerer:

Nelly Terraces

Show that when we are positive, with the 2 up, we are a team to be feared. Glad to totally eat my words, well done Csaba and the boys. Fecking top result.

Signature thief.

Haha! I honestly wasn't aware someone else had it. I was watching the Afternoon Delight video the other day and thought it went quite well.

I'm no changing it, it's pretty good. :clown:

Footballs a funny old game, isn't it? No one should pretend to understand it because it's just so unpredictable.

Clum definitely deserves a go. He was very good when he came on ... closing down, getting stuck in and even had a few good efforts on goal.

We are now looking at having Elliot/Tullberg/Nade/Glen available ... I really hope Laszlo realises that you don't have to play the way we did in the first half to succeed.

I've been refreshed by that 2nd half ... until next week like. :sorcerer:

just have to hope that a wee eureka moment occurs for csaba and he at last realises that there are more pros to sacrificing one from midfield than there are cons.

he doesn't have to commit himself to 4-4-2 for a whole match even. if we start with it and it's not working, or we want to protect a lead, he can change things.

only fools can't admit when they are wrong. csaba is no fool. surely he is man enough to examine his own decisions and come up with the right way forward.

Ron Burgundy
Haha! I honestly wasn't aware someone else had it. I was watching the Afternoon Delight video the other day and thought it went quite well.

I'm no changing it, it's pretty good. :clown:

I actually watched the game whilst sitting in my Aquajet 9000 enjoying my usual meal of steak,waffles,french fries and of course Scotch.

4-5-1 is a formation used against exceptional opponents or a tricky away tie in europe. 4-4-2 is what we should always be otherwise.

Really, what is there to fear in the Scottish league? We have done well with 4-5-1 but maybe we would have turned around games in the past by changing to 4-4-2?

There`s not a "Hearts Way" but we more or less have always been brought up on the ideal that Hearts always have a pop and try to win positively. That means two up top at a minimum.

just have to hope that a wee eureka moment occurs for csaba and he at last realises that there are more pros to sacrificing one from midfield than there are cons.

he doesn't have to commit himself to 4-4-2 for a whole match even. if we start with it and it's not working, or we want to protect a lead, he can change things.

only fools can't admit when they are wrong. csaba is no fool. surely he is man enough to examine his own decisions and come up with the right way forward.

Absolutely fair points.

Start a game with 4-4-2, try to go for the game and see what it brings. Laszlo has shown so far that he is loathe to repeat mistakes, Mrowiec off early, Mikoliunas not selected today, Cesnauskis given the nod instead. C'mon Laszlo, give it a go.

4-5-1 is a formation used against exceptional opponents or a tricky away tie in europe. 4-4-2 is what we should always be otherwise.

Really, what is there to fear in the Scottish league? We have done well with 4-5-1 but maybe we would have turned around games in the past by changing to 4-4-2?

There`s not a "Hearts Way" but we more or less have always been brought up on the ideal that Hearts always have a pop and try to win positively. That means two up top at a minimum.

Careful, you were bordering on Hibby speak there!

Careful, you were bordering on Hibby speak there!

lol, i know. Chose words carefully:sorcerer:. FTH

shaun.lawson
I think the reason in your case is you know very little about football or at least Hearts. ;)

4-4-2 works, it worked a treat today and if it can work against one of those two it should work against other sides. We looked dangerous today, we looked like we could score, but ONLY in the second half.

It means we're evolving into a side with a Plan B. That's hugely encouraging, and very important. But if Elliot or Tullberg can't do it over a full season, then what? All football matches are different, and flexibility is key - and hopefully, in the summer, Csaba will get his hands on some flexible, intelligent players.

Completely agree.

Got a row for saying as such last week mind! :)

I don't know if the players are following instructions or what but whenever we play 4-5-1 we tend to stand off the opponent and give them all the space in the world. The 2nd goal was just a joke today, Ferguson had about 5 minutes to place his shot.

When we changed it we looked a lot sharper and didn't give them as much time as they had before. No more gaps in the middle either.

We just aren't very good at playing 5 in midfield. They were running through us in the first half when in theory, 5 in the middle is supposed to block any gaps and tighten it up.

I'd like to see us playing with 2 strikers on the pitch (even if one is just behind the other) and chasing everything ... getting right on top of the other team. When we have more attacking players on the pitch our mind set and attitude seems to change.

shaun.lawson
The contrast in performance from the 1st half to the 2nd half could not have been greater.

Want to know why? Because we actually had a go at what is a chronic Rangers team and it showed. Elliot was great when he came on. A breath of fresh air.

The only reason I'm not a manager is because I've never tried to be one. FACT!

Out of interest, what were your thoughts on Elliot last season? I'll wager a pound to a penny that you made posts hoping he'd leave and never come back. Yet now he's a "breath of fresh air"?

No wonder you're not a manager. Feel free to try and become one, by the way: nothing to stop you taking the coaching badges... ;)

When we have more attacking players on the pitch our mind set and attitude seems to change.

That makes perfect sense when you think about it.

rudi must stay
DO YOU? :earmuffs::earmuffs::earmuffs:

look where we are in the league though. Playing with 1 striker HAS worked for us

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46841&page=6

Post 202 is a belter.

Not sure you are really in a position to lecture Csaba. If you?d been in the dugout today you?d likely have been back on the team bus by 3.50pm...

Haha. Look, I'm happy to eat my words. Csaba changed the style of play and that's something he hasn't done a lot this season. I'm delighted. However I've consistently said 4-5-1 is crap and I wasn't wrong about that.

Now, instead of bringing up my other posts and stalking me like a weirdo why don't you give your opinion? Or are we not allowed to discuss tactics?

:stroker:

shaun.lawson
I don't know if the players are following instructions or what but whenever we play 4-5-1 we tend to stand off the opponent and give them all the space in the world. The 2nd goal was just a joke today, Ferguson had about 5 minutes to place his shot.

When we changed it we looked a lot sharper and didn't give them as much time as they had before. No more gaps in the middle either.

We just aren't very good at playing 5 in midfield. They were running through us in the first half when in theory, 5 in the middle is supposed to block any gaps and tighten it up.

I'd like to see us playing with 2 strikers on the pitch (even if one is just behind the other) and chasing everything ... getting right on top of the other team. When we have more attacking players on the pitch our mind set and attitude seems to change.

Which suggests it's a question not of systems, but of attitude. I generally hate England playing 4-4-2 - but against Argentina in 2002, because our attitude was magnificently spot on, it worked a treat. At other times, it didn't.

Delighted with the result and finally seeing us have a right go at a team.

We must stay with 2 up front now, we have the players to suit that style of play.

On a side note, Nade and Obua were horrendous today. Nade can not control a football.

It means we're evolving into a side with a Plan B. That's hugely encouraging, and very important. But if Elliot or Tullberg can't do it over a full season, then what? All football matches are different, and flexibility is key - and hopefully, in the summer, Csaba will get his hands on some flexible, intelligent players.

Today we showed some flexibility all season. We tried a system that you stated we could NOT play; It worked. It worked as it is relatively simple football but forward thinking football.

If it can work against R@ng*rs, we should at least try to see if it can work against lesser opposition and at home. It is hardly enough for a case study, but one 45 minute spell playing 4-4-2 against the second best team in the league and in a stadium we have not won for five years, we scored two to nil. I have said it before and will say it again, we have succeeded in spite of 4-5-1 and IMO today showed there is more there in this squad.

Did Elliott and Nade play up front? If so, who played Right Mid?

Cesnauskis first half and Obua second half. Palazuelos went to left midfield.

Seymour M Hersh
Agree with AP.

I'm high as a kite and not thinking clearly, but right now I feel a front two of Elliot and Glen would eventually rip the other 9 teams in this league a new one.

You're high on something!!

Out of interest, what were your thoughts on Elliot last season? I'll wager a pound to a penny that you made posts hoping he'd leave and never come back. Yet now he's a "breath of fresh air"?

No wonder you're not a manager. Feel free to try and become one, by the way: nothing to stop you taking the coaching badges... ;)

My opinion on Elliot was pretty much as you describe. What's your point? Are you supposed to form an opinion and then NEVER change it even if circumstances change? C'mon Shaun, you're better than that.

As for the last bit ... I've got a few coaching badges ... nothing special like but a few more than you I suspect. :daisy:

Even if he did say that, does that mean he should not praise Elliot for playing well? That would be as bad as someone lambasting a formation and not admitting he was wrong when it works.

As for the last bit, unnecessary, if I was AP, I would invite you to come to Tynecastle, there is nothing stopping you.... ;)

shaun.lawson
Today we showed some flexibility all season. We tried a system that you stated we could NOT play; It worked. It worked as it is relatively simple football but forward thinking football.

If it can work against R@ng*rs, we should at least try to see if it can work against lesser opposition and at home. It is hardly enough for a case study, but one 45 minute spell playing 4-4-2 against the second best team in the league and in a stadium we have not won for five years, we scored two to nil. I have said it before and will say it again, we have succeeded in spite of 4-5-1 and IMO today showed there is more there in this squad.

Because of the confidence Csaba has given them, by any chance? If we're gradually evolving and gaining in confidence, we can look to move to the next level, and that means a more daring, risky formation. To repeat though: no two football matches are the same, and he's gone safety first for most of the season because he needed to. I've advocated 4-5-1 because it gives you s sound base and generally makes you hard to beat; 4-4-2 means you'll win more games but may well lose more too.

The mantra is flexibility, flexibility, flexibility.

Dr. Bapswent

Well done Csaba for apropraitely applying the 4-4-2 formation and using Clum when it will be most effective.

Its clear 4-4-2 wont work all the time and the fact we are 3rd and just took a point at Ibrox shows you know what you are doing.

However its clear there are many armchair fans on KB who could do a much better job.

Booooo Csaba and booooo a point at Ibrox

We_are_the_Hearts
Cesnauskis first half and Obua second half. Palazuelos went to left midfield.

Cheers. Ruben did well there against Hull as well.

No need to be so negative matey, it was a great result. :sorcerer:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Well done Csaba for apropraitely applying the 4-4-2 formation and using Clum when it will be most effective.

Its clear 4-4-2 wont work all the time and the fact we are 3rd and just took a point at Ibrox shows you know what you are doing.

However its clear there are many armchair fans on KB who could do a much better job.

HA, that's funny. Just five minutes ago I was trying to think of a regular poster who might try to pick a fight with other Hearts fans, even after such a great result. Yours was the first name I thought of. Right on cue...

Haha. Look, I'm happy to eat my words. Csaba changed the style of play and that's something he hasn't done a lot this season. I'm delighted. However I've consistently said 4-5-1 is crap and I wasn't wrong about that.

Now, instead of bringing up my other posts and stalking me like a weirdo why don't you give your opinion? Or are we not allowed to discuss tactics?

:stroker:

How does quoting you back from another thread on a thread you began qualify as stalking???

I?m not a huge fan of 4-5-1. Not because it is a bad system as it does make a team difficult to beat. I just don?t think we have either the craft in midfield nor does it suit Nade?s style of play. I expect you agree with this. From the fan?s perspective it is often turgid too.

However, I do understand why Csaba is playing it this year. If we?d played 4-4-2 and had all the consistency of Hibs, Csaba would have Vlad and Korobochka on his back big time. Now he has earned Vlad?s respect and trust, and he?s done it with this system. TBH that is far more important in his first year in charge than exciting the fans. It?s better for him and it?s better for us.

There you go. That is my opinion on the system. The earlier post was my opinion of your volte-face and was purely to illustrate how wrong you are in thinking you have the right to lecture Csaba on football.

shaun.lawson
Even if he did say that, does that mean he should not praise Elliot for playing well? That would be as bad as someone lambasting a formation and not admitting he was wrong when it works.

As for the last bit, unnecessary, if I was AP, I would invite you to come to Tynecastle, there is nothing stopping you.... ;)

Apart from money. I had a long debate on here with another poster last summer. I argued we couldn't judge any player - even Aunt Sally figures like Elliot - because they'd all suffered from the managerless shambles we were in for two years. For this, I was called an idiot or worse - yet look what's happening. Hence my pointing this out to AP: any manager knows that confidence is everything in football, and so many of our players have gained in it under Csaba's calm leadership.

look where we are in the league though. Playing with 1 striker HAS worked for us

I know Rudi but i still think it`s stifling. Do you think we would have come back from 2 down if we`d just stuck with 4-5-1?

Games can throw up different scenarios. If Hearts were 2 up today 4-5-1 is a good formation because you close more space down as the opposition pushes forward and the counter attack is a big threat.

But i always believe in portraying positivity and making players believe they can attack and influence games. 4-5-1 can bog players down.

I have hated for long enough defenders in the opposition getting plenty time on the ball to come out of defence. We should be high up the pitch closing thses guys down and making them make mistakes and showing them up for what they are. We done that 3 years ago and that was our style.

shaun.lawson
My opinion on Elliot was pretty much as you describe. What's your point? Are you supposed to form an opinion and then NEVER change it even if circumstances change? C'mon Shaun, you're better than that.

As for the last bit ... I've got a few coaching badges ... nothing special like but a few more than you I suspect. :daisy:

See my reply to bighusref. It wasn't a personal dig - you know I'm generally a big fan of your posts - but no manager worth their salt overreacts in either one direction or another. I know my limitations in life: those that can't, write about it (often badly in my case!).

good point shaun. the emergence of a viable plan B. hopefully there are plans C, D, E & F locked away for a rainy day as well.

seems to me as if he has the authority and 'fear factor' that is needed to rip into the players when required. we already know he's got the respect of the players when it comes to their training and tactical work. stewart has gone on at great length about how much he loves chewing the cud with him about football.

the only thing holding us back recently has been personnel. now it looks like we will have multiple options for the forward area. we also have good options for midfield and a highly acceptable defence, as well as at least two reliable keepers.

add in the breathing space that pre-season will bring and his hopeful ability to add new faces and we have the foundations of a very promising team.

there is still an awful lot to do before we can say we've qualified for europe but it would take a terrible nosedive to throw it away.

Dr. Bapswent
No need to be so negative matey, it was a great result. :sorcerer:

Aboslobloodyexactly

Its just difficutl to read the game thread and listne to all the armchair pundits who think they know best.

Screaming foul at the first sight of anything happening rather than watching how things pan out.

Im just interested in Csaba and the players getting the kudos they deserve for today, the game wasnt over at half time like some thought. The final result was what was important and it turns out it was cracker.

I think its a touch ungrateful to still be moaning about things after taking a point at Ibrox at the moment.

today is a great day.

It should be about celebrating the point, the manager and the performance.

However I would add 1 result on the back of 4-4-2 is not proof that its the right formation for every game with our squad.

How does quoting you back from another thread on a thread you began qualify as stalking???

I?m not a huge fan of 4-5-1. Not because it is a bad system as it does make a team difficult to beat. I just don?t think we have either the craft in midfield nor does it suit Nade?s style of play. I expect you agree with this. From the fan?s perspective it is often turgid too.

However, I do understand why Csaba is playing it this year. If we?d played 4-4-2 and had all the consistency of Hibs, Csaba would have Vlad and Korobochka on his back big time. Now he has earned Vlad?s respect and trust, and he?s done it with this system. TBH that is far more important in his first year in charge than exciting the fans. It?s better for him and it?s better for us.

There you go. That is my opinion on the system. The earlier post was my opinion of your volte-face and was purely to illustrate how wrong you are in thinking you have the right to lecture Csaba on football.

Fair points.

The last bit is a pile of pish though. I'm not lecturing Csaba on football ... this is a message board to discuss HMFC FFS! If anything it was directed at certain other posters who won't hear a bad word against 4-5-1 and believe 4-6-0 is inevitable. :20:

My view is Laszlo is doing a great job with what he has to work with but has his faults. Is that OK with you or should I shut my mouth because I have no right to say anything?

Archived