Underage Gambling

SharpJambo

I was just wondering what the laws are on underage gambling and whether if an under 18 hands over money to a bookmaker, then if either of them are commiting an offence?

the bookies are defo committing an offence. no sure what would happen to the person putting the bet on, if anything.

I was just wondering what the laws are on underage gambling and whether if an under 18 hands over money to a bookmaker, then if either of them are commiting an offence?

I'm pretty sure that the onous is on the bookie to check, and that they would certainly be committing an offence. The underage gambler probably is, as well.

I'm also pretty sure that gambling debts are not legally enforceable, so the bookie may well tell you to feck off if you can't prove your age when you go to collect.

I'm pretty sure that the onous is on the bookie to check, and that they would certainly be committing an offence. The underage gambler probably is, as well.

I'm also pretty sure that gambling debts are not legally enforceable, so the bookie may well tell you to feck off if you can't prove your age when you go to collect.

Wrong. The Gambling Act which was passed last year enforces a bet as a legally binding contract, and you are within your rights to go to court for breach of this. It also has strict criteria regarding social responsibility and protecting the vulnerable people in society (i.e children, people with gambling addictions) and money laundering procedures.

It's fair to say the largest bookmakers love the extension of rights that came with this bill (e.g the ability to open till 10pm all year round) but with it they've had to be ultra cautious regarding social responsibility. It's really a 'think 21' policy in operation at most bookmakers as none would like to leave themselves open to the repercussions of the gambling commission or claims for under age/excluded customers claiming their money back on losing bets or gaming machine losses

I put a small horse bet on, I was 18 but didn't have ID on me at the time, they let me put the bet on, it won, when I went back later that day they said I couldn't collect it unless I had ID, it was only about a tenner but I thought it was wrong that they let a potential "under-ager" place a bet (ie giving them money) but when they won they wouldn't pay out.

I didn't like the fact that they only wanted to know my age when I was taking money off them, they weren't really interested when I was giving them my money - I'd like them to ask for ID when placing bets rather than just when it suits them.

In the end I got my dad to collect it.

I put a small horse bet on, I was 18 but didn't have ID on me at the time, they let me put the bet on, it won, when I went back later that day they said I couldn't collect it unless I had ID, it was only about a tenner but I thought it was wrong that they let a potential "under-ager" place a bet (ie giving them money) but when they won they wouldn't pay out.

I didn't like the fact that they only wanted to know my age when I was taking money off them, they weren't really interested when I was giving them my money - I'd like them to ask for ID when placing bets rather than just when it suits them.

You dont say how long ago this was but regardless very shark like IMO..if they've allowed you to put a bet on and you collect ..that's not the time to question your age..they are required to pay you out..if they suspect you were under age a comment about ID next time after they paid out is definately more appropriate

Just put some cash in my Willie Hills account for the weekend.

Opened my account and found a big red header " Age Verification " Due to new Gambling act rules.

I use quick cash vouchers bought from the shop and my date of birth is on my account details and have had an account for years.

I was given a phone number to call.

When i called them they said because of fraud ( people buying under age kids vouchers ) we need to verify your age.

If i used a credit card it would have been ok cause they could get details from that.

I said i dont use credit card because of fraud ( anyone watch that tv prog about Indian call centres )

Ends up i have to take my passport to a Willie Hills shop to verify my age.

If i dont do this , in the unlikely event that my coupon comes up this weekend they will not pay me out.

:2:

Cant wait till my 18th.

:sunny:

Era Macaroons

bookies eh ...robbin basas...

this_is_my_story
Wrong. The Gambling Act which was passed last year enforces a bet as a legally binding contract, and you are within your rights to go to court for breach of this. It also has strict criteria regarding social responsibility and protecting the vulnerable people in society (i.e children, people with gambling addictions) and money laundering procedures.

It's fair to say the largest bookmakers love the extension of rights that came with this bill (e.g the ability to open till 10pm all year round) but with it they've had to be ultra cautious regarding social responsibility. It's really a 'think 21' policy in operation at most bookmakers as none would like to leave themselves open to the repercussions of the gambling commission or claims for under age/excluded customers claiming their money back on losing bets or gaming machine losses

That one's always puzzled me. How the f*@k can you launder money in a bookies?!? Not that I've any dirty money that's needing cleaned!

Era Macaroons
That one's always puzzled me. How the f*@k can you launder money in a bookies?!? Not that I've any dirty money that's needing cleaned!

don be silly...just go to the chinese herbal medicine shops to get yer dosh wosh:earmuffs:

In order to "Money Launder". The Bad Boys will generally place large wagers on sports with limited outcomes eg the outcome of a Premiership football match, they will then cover every outcome using several bookmakers, ensuring that they get the best odds (oddschecker.com would help here and help avoid suspicion), If they staked ?10k for example, the backer would be guaranteed a return of ?9k or there about. Although this would incur a loss of ?1,000, this represents less than 10 per cent of the original outlay.

Bad Boys usually are willing to accept a loss of 20-25 per cent in the conversion proceess of 'dirty' to 'clean' money.

Also a betting slip could be passed from bad boy to bad boy without leaving any record or trail by which the illegal transactions can be identified as it bypasses the mainstream financial system, useful in all aspects of the criminal world, from drugs to terrorism.

thought u need to be 18 to gamble?

Lol

Seemingly even if you put your correct details into your accouint it needs to be verified.

As i said to Kister i dont trust giving any personal to anyone over the net.

Thats why i dont use a credit card for gambling/ buying anything.

:saddam:

In order to "Money Launder". The Bad Boys will generally place large wagers on sports with limited outcomes eg the outcome of a Premiership football match, they will then cover every outcome using several bookmakers, ensuring that they get the best odds (oddschecker.com would help here and help avoid suspicion), If they staked ?10k for example, the backer would be guaranteed a return of ?9k or there about. Although this would incur a loss of ?1,000, this represents less than 10 per cent of the original outlay.

Bad Boys usually are willing to accept a loss of 20-25 per cent in the conversion proceess of 'dirty' to 'clean' money.

Also a betting slip could be passed from bad boy to bad boy without leaving any record or trail by which the illegal transactions can be identified as it bypasses the mainstream financial system, useful in all aspects of the criminal world, from drugs to terrorism.

well said GG..there are a thousand tricks in the book though.wont be telling anyone on here though! I may be out of it now..but it's not a pretty game ..clowns to the left of me jokers to the right

this_is_my_story

Know-it-all, eh? :laugh:

But surely the investigating body would be making enquiries as to where the funds for even just the winning bet came from? I accept the point about the willing loss of a certain percentage in order to clean the money though.

In my opinion, the only way to properly launder money using a bookies would be a situation in which say, a criminal would approach an independent bookie, or independent chain of bookies. They would obviously offer the bookie some form of sweetener for their troubles... then the bookie could falsify records of some type of winning bet, most likely (as it'd be of benefit to the criminal) a small stakes bet with a large return. Even then, Customs & Excise would most likely demand some sort of audit of the bookie's accounts to establish that the 'bet' was indeed genuine.

There are far, far more effective ways of laundering money. Not that I'd know anything about them, I hasten to add!

But surely the investigating body would be making enquiries as to where the funds for even just the winning bet came from? I accept the point about the willing loss of a certain percentage in order to clean the money though.

In my opinion, the only way to properly launder money using a bookies would be a situation in which say, a criminal would approach an independent bookie, or independent chain of bookies. They would obviously offer the bookie some form of sweetener for their troubles... then the bookie could falsify records of some type of winning bet, most likely (as it'd be of benefit to the criminal) a small stakes bet with a large return. Even then, Customs & Excise would most likely demand some sort of audit of the bookie's accounts to establish that the 'bet' was indeed genuine.

There are far, far more effective ways of laundering money. Not that I'd know anything about them, I hasten to add!

well it does seem you know more than anyone about this thread now..not that you know anything obviously

this_is_my_story
well it does seem you know more than anyone about this thread now..not that you know anything obviously

Let me stress, I'm not a criminal, and nor do I associate with any such low-lives! I've read a few articles about large scale money laundering, that's all, and some of the techniques involved are incredibly clever. A whole lot smarter than trying to launder money through a bookies, that's for sure!

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Let me stress, I'm not a criminal, and nor do I associate with any such low-lives! I've read a few articles about large scale money laundering, that's all, and some of the techniques involved are incredibly clever. A whole lot smarter than trying to launder money through a bookies, that's for sure!

Expensive motors on ebay is another favourite

My mate has his jag bought for cash in a sports bag only for it to be resold a few months later

If you buy anything for cash over ?30k (I think thats the figure) by rights it has to be reported to the authorities these days. (Not sure if thats just for the motor trade)

They're unlikely to get investigated though...

Archived