The Case For The Defence

Genghis Khan

Guest Fabuloso
The justifications are the same. One doesnt play due to match practise, neither does the other. Hutton has been out for what, 9 months, and just returned? Surely thats more risky than playing a keeper who has been out for 3, has been back in training for a good while now and has played reserve games.

If Burley starts one, but not the other due to "match readiness" he will be bollocked, and rightly so IMO.

I want Hutton and Gordon in there.

I'd have Hutton in there as the alternative is so poor. Gordon has cover in MacGregor. CG can come back when he's ready - and will do so.

I'd have Hutton in there as the alternative is so poor. Gordon has cover in MacGregor. CG can come back when he's ready - and will do so.

I'd sooner have a one armed Craig Gordon than MacGregor, if it had been this time last year your argument would hold some water, but MacGregor has been a bombscare this season and has made a number of ****** ups against pish poor teams, I shudder to think what the Dutch would do to him

Guest Fabuloso
I'd sooner have a one armed Craig Gordon than MacGregor, if it had been this time last year your argument would hold some water, but MacGregor has been a bombscare this season and has made a number of ****** ups against pish poor teams, I shudder to think what the Dutch would do to him

This may rustle a few feathers however CG hasn't had a great season either. Yes, he's had a shocking defence to deal with however he's also been more than suspect on quite a few occasions.

The Old Tolbooth
This may rustle a few feathers however CG hasn't had a great season either. Yes, he's had a shocking defence to deal with however he's also been more than suspect on quite a few occasions.

Which would explain why the Sunderland fans love him and he's had more man of the match awards than anyone since he joined them :wacko:

Guest Fabuloso
Which would explain why the Sunderland fans love him and he's had more man of the match awards than anyone since he joined them :wacko:

Come on - we've all seen it. I'm not saying he hasn't had his moments, I'm saying he's been suspect on occasion - like MacGregor. If you can't see that from some of the mistakes he's made this season then I suggest you look at some of the goals he let in.

I want him to succeed as much as anyone however sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

OK Iain I'll play your game. If I swap the word 'player' for the word 'goalkeeper' would you be prepared to admit that I'm right?

If you refuse then I really have to question your footballing judgment. Maybe you've never played the game..

It makes no difference whether you swap the words - you would have played Colin Cramb in front of Robbo in a Derby.

That tells me all I need to know about your footballing judgement Flairmeister.:biglaugh:

john brownlee

Not really that bothered, but if he did pick CG than I might just kind off support the GFA select. naw change that to watch. I support the mighty JTs and thats it

Of course I will support any international team that has current Heart of midlothian players or player in their squad

stirlingshirejambo
Not really that bothered, but if he did pick CG than I might just kind off support the GFA select. naw change that to watch. I support the mighty JTs and thats it

Of course I will support any international team that has current Heart of midlothian players or player in their squad

What if Eggert plays a week on Wednesday!!!!

Guest Fabuloso
It makes no difference whether you swap the words - you would have played Colin Cramb in front of Robbo in a Derby.

That tells me all I need to know about your footballing judgement Flairmeister.:biglaugh:

I think you have limited intelligence. Good at protests, poor at football.

Harry Palmer

I don't expect any surprises in the Scotland line up.....

Which means Craig Gordon as goalkeeper and the headless chicken up front..

Either way, Scotland will be destroyed. Damage limitation.. We won't qualify for the next few tournaments at least. We are not good. We need to look beyond and prepare....

Burley's neck is potentially on the block here.

Chances are Scotland won't win this match no matter who starts in goals for us. That's why I think he'll start with McGregor. He can't lace Gordon's boots but he is the safe option - self preservation.

If Scotland lose 4-0 with McGregor in goals, Burley stands a better chance of keeping the West coast redtops on side. Rest assured, if he starts with Gordon and we get humped, the redtops will sharpen their knives and portray it as a costly error of judgement.

It's a shame, as I think goalkeeper is the one position on the pitch where we have a player that wouldn't look out of place in the dutch side.

I think you have limited intelligence. Good at protests, poor at football.

You would be the expert on intelligenge right enough - every time you post people can see how "bright" you are!

Just you keep up your ever-so-effective stay away "protest" as the team seem to be thriving on it and VR must surely be ready to throw the towel in, in the face of such sustained pressure.

Keep away from Europe next season as well - I'm sure a holiday in Lochend would be more up your street anyway.

I can feel your hurt.

TBH hope he plays McGregor! Scotland will get a humping in Amsterdam and if Gordon plays the media will say he shouldn't have and blame him! far rather AM plays and once we get humped it will put an end to the clamour for him to replace CG on a regular basis!

And if he picks Gordon it is going to look like the Boyd snub was personal and nothing to do with first team action.

Regardless of which keeper he picks if he is not on top form Burley will get slaughtered.

The difference between Boyd and Gordon are:

Gordon has a good attitude to training. Apparently Boyd does not.

Gordon raises his performance level in big games. Boyd flops every time - witness yesterday.

Match fitness is more important in an outfield player than a GK.

Guest Fabuloso
You would be the expert on intelligenge right enough - every time you post people can see how "bright" you are!

Just you keep up your ever-so-effective stay away "protest" as the team seem to be thriving on it and VR must surely be ready to throw the towel in, in the face of such sustained pressure.

Keep away from Europe next season as well - I'm sure a holiday in Lochend would be more up your street anyway.

I can feel your hurt.

Oh dear Iain.

Guest Fabuloso
TBH hope he plays McGregor! Scotland will get a humping in Amsterdam and if Gordon plays the media will say he shouldn't have and blame him! far rather AM plays and once we get humped it will put an end to the clamour for him to replace CG on a regular basis!

In a perverse way I think you could have a point there.

If Scotland get a humping it will be Burley's arse on the line more than McGregor's. In fairness, Gordon is among the best in the world in his position, McGregor is just decent. If Ronaldinho had been out for 3mths, as long as fit he would be straight into the Brazilian team, not sat on the bench with a lesser abled player in his position.

Gordon's lack of play at Sunderland is in my mind a financial decision. Fulop is doing well, will be on a far cheaper wage and saving on Gordon's appearance fee will be very appealing to Sunderland's board, with no heed for Gordon's career prospects. If Fulop's form dips then Gordon will be straight back in, until then it's the cheap route in the Stadium of Light.

Guest Fabuloso
If Scotland get a humping it will be Burley's arse on the line more than McGregor's. In fairness, Gordon is among the best in the world in his position, McGregor is just decent. If Ronaldinho had been out for 3mths, as long as fit he would be straight into the Brazilian team, not sat on the bench with a lesser abled player in his position.

Gordon's lack of play at Sunderland is in my mind a financial decision. Fulop is doing well, will be on a far cheaper wage and saving on Gordon's appearance fee will be very appealing to Sunderland's board, with no heed for Gordon's career prospects. If Fulop's form dips then Gordon will be straight back in, until then it's the cheap route in the Stadium of Light.

Another poster on this thread gave much the same analogy (Robbo v Crambe!) however I don't think you can compare a forward to a goalkeeper in this case. A goalkeeping decision is all about risk aversion where a forward is more about reward (ie scoring goals). In other words you can have an outfield player perform badly and still win the game. The other way around it's more likely the team will be beaten as a goalkeeper underperforming probably mean goals against.

Another poster on this thread gave much the same analogy (Robbo v Crambe!) however I don't think you can compare a forward to a goalkeeper in this case. A goalkeeping decision is all about risk aversion where a forward is more about reward (ie scoring goals). In other words you can have an outfield player perform badly and still win the game. The other way around it's more likely the team will be beaten as a goalkeeper underperforming probably mean goals against.

Gordon is showing his form in reserves, and it's fair to say the reserve league in the EPL is of a far higher standard to the SPL first teams. McGregor has had rare chance to perform against the better teams, while Gordon still has all season. To me given the gulf in class between the two, and the quality each has to play against, the better choice has to be Gordon. More assured, higher class, always performed on the big stage.

the journalist was doing ok until he said that marshall was having a flawless season.seems to have more than his fair share of clangers on the championship highlights on a sunday morning.didn,t look very convincing for birminghams goal yesterday.

Burleys in a no win situation, he'll be slaughtered either way. the west coast red tops/media dont fancy him and this will be another nail in his coffin.

Scotland will get pumped regardless of who's in goals imo, so i'd much rather McShagger started and has a couple of howlers to show him up for the one season wonder he was.

Gordon is class and he'll be back, wasted at Sunderlund imo

Pathetic.

how on earth have you not been found out yet? even one of the admins knows you're a hobo and here you are, still here.

the mask will slip eventually. tick tock.

Guest Fabuloso
how on earth have you not been found out yet? even one of the admins knows you're a hobo and here you are, still here.

the mask will slip eventually. tick tock.

I think I heard all this stuff after my first post in August. In all honesty I worry about the intelligence of some posters on here (see trail above). I also hate terrible spelling (not that I'm perfect). You're not too bad however many of your posts are below average in terms of logic.

I think I heard all this stuff after my first post in August. In all honesty I worry about the intelligence of some posters on here (see trail above). I also hate terrible spelling (not that I'm perfect). You're not too bad however many of your posts are below average in terms of logic.

i'm devastated to read that assessment of my logic.

Archived