Quizball

The White Cockade

The White Cockade

Anyone remember watching Hearts on Quizball back in the 70's?

I think Fordie and Alan Anderson were in it, can't remember who else

Hearts Heritage

They had a celebrity fan. I think Eric Brown the Ryder Cup player and captain was on.

Celtic beat us in the final possibly?

They had a celebrity fan. I think Eric Brown the Ryder Cup player and captain was on.

That's correct, Celtic beat us in the final 1969/70 I think. I was spewin.

Donald Ford was a brainbox.

Anyone remember watching Hearts on Quizball back in the 70's?

I think Fordie and Alan Anderson were in it, can't remember who else

I think Geroge Millar was on it as well.

Question master: Who is George Mackay Brown ?

Cruikie : "Racing correspondent with the Daily Record ?"

Question master: What is Vesuvius ?

John Greig : "An ice cream ?"

I remember a football related quiz, way, way back, when the world was black and white. It may have been "Up for the Cup". Magnus Magnusson was our celebrity team member, IIRC.

The idea was that, by answering a number of questions you worked your way down the pitch, if you got them correct, till you reached the penalty area, where getting an answer right scored a "goal". Several easier questions brought you down the wing to the box, whereas a more difficult question saw you go straight down the middle in one, to a "shooting position".

Please confirm, somebody, and show that I'm not losing it!

No. It looks like there is no one as old as me viewing this thread. Or no one sad enough to remember such trivia.

Nurse!

WorldChampions1902

Reminds me of the 'pioneering' quiz show in the late 90's early 'noughties' calles 'A Kick in the Grass' compered by Bob Mills. Hearts panel was made up of David Weir, Alex Salmond and a celebrity Jambo who was also a players agent at that time. The hobbits had Fish of Marrillion as their 'celebrity' guest.

I went down to London for the recording and IIRC it was to launch ITV Digital / ON Digital. Free food and bevvy in hospitality ensured an atmospheric series of ties as far as Hearts were concerned and we out-sung and out-played the Vermin to the Semi finals I think, punting them out the competition on the way. (Just think, if it had been the other way round, they would have added that result to their repertoire of 7-0 and the first to wear green) :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind we were at the TV studios in London, it was a surprise to be asked to don a Wimbledon scarf and sit in the Wimbledon audience for the recording of their ties along with scores of fellow Jambos, just to make up numbers for their support.

I remember a football related quiz, way, way back, when the world was black and white. It may have been "Up for the Cup". Magnus Magnusson was our celebrity team member, IIRC.

The idea was that, by answering a number of questions you worked your way down the pitch, if you got them correct, till you reached the penalty area, where getting an answer right scored a "goal". Several easier questions brought you down the wing to the box, whereas a more difficult question saw you go straight down the middle in one, to a "shooting position".

Nah, the more I think about it, "Up for the Cup" was Tom Fleming and we won it. Or am I losing it? It was a competition for all British clubs. I have a feeling Billy Higgins, who played Left Half (in old money) and was a Brewer's Chemist, was on our team. We had a few brain boxes in our team then. Can't remember if Donald Ford and Alan Gordon (both Chartered Accountants) were around at the time.

Nah, the more I think about it, "Up for the Cup" was Tom Fleming and we won it. Or am I losing it? It was a competition for all British clubs. I have a feeling Billy Higgins, who played Left Half (in old money) and was a Brewer's Chemist, was on our team. We had a few brain boxes in our team then. Can't remember if Donald Ford and Alan Gordon (both Chartered Accountants) were around at the time.

You're probably right. On reflection the quiz I'm talking about wasn't "Up for the Cup", but I'm convinced it took place in the dim and distant past, with the format I tried to describe. Seems I am alone in remembering it.

John Montgomery

That was Quizball (or at least I am sure that was the name). If I recall correctly Hearts were in it in the early seventies and one of the rounds was recorded in Edinburgh. Several members of our supporters club were there (did Federation/Association Clubs get tickets?). The venue? The McEwan Hall area comes into my mind. Could it be the McEwan hall. I may be able to check. As to one of your other points, Tams Bird will be able to confirm I am 'getting on' as well. Maybe more than you.

That was Quizball (or at least I am sure that was the name). If I recall correctly Hearts were in it in the early seventies and one of the rounds was recorded in Edinburgh. Several members of our supporters club were there (did Federation/Association Clubs get tickets?). The venue? The McEwan Hall area comes into my mind. Could it be the McEwan hall. I may be able to check. As to one of your other points, Tams Bird will be able to confirm I am 'getting on' as well. Maybe more than you.

That would be when you were in your 40s john?

John Montgomery
That would be when you were in your 40s john?

Cheeky sod.

I was younger than that.

Thirties?

Thanks for that J.M.

John Montgomery

In fact to expand on that (I think) you had the choice of one, two, three or four passes before you could shoot. And as was said the less passes the harder the questions.

I am sure another programme started later which may n ot have been exactly the same but based on Quizball. However I dont think it was as good or lasted as long.

That's correct, Celtic beat us in the final 1969/70 I think. I was spewin.

Donald Ford was a brainbox.

remember it well and was delighted when hearts got to the final. i was at tynecastle secondary between '66 and '69 and we knew the tattie munchers had beat us in the final before the programme was aired and i was sick that these bams beat us in the final.

however it was a fun tv quiz and i'd like to see STV try the format in scotland as it would be very entertaining.

John Montgomery
remember it well and was delighted when hearts got to the final. i was at tynecastle secondary between '66 and '69 and we knew the tattie munchers had beat us in the final before the programme was aired and i was sick that these bams beat us in the final.

however it was a fun tv quiz and i'd like to see STV try the format in scotland as it would be very entertaining.

You have got a better memory than me. I was thinking it was the early seventies. Obviously my brain cells (whatever were there) are starting to go.

• 6 months later...
Guess The Crowd
This was mentioned in the Jim C thread.

By Jim C, do you mean Jim Craig of Celtic? He's the guy I remember being excellent at that.

Yes , I remember it too.

One of the celebs was a guy called Wallace (can't remember his first name). Was he some sort of opera singer ?!

This thread appeared on JKB a while ago and someone posted a link to some old clips of the show.

Reminds me of the 'pioneering' quiz show in the late 90's early 'noughties' calles 'A Kick in the Grass' compered by Bob Mills. Hearts panel was made up of David Weir, Alex Salmond and a celebrity Jambo who was also a players agent at that time. The hobbits had Fish of Marrillion as their 'celebrity' guest.

I went down to London for the recording and IIRC it was to launch ITV Digital / ON Digital. Free food and bevvy in hospitality ensured an atmospheric series of ties as far as Hearts were concerned and we out-sung and out-played the Vermin to the Semi finals I think, punting them out the competition on the way. (Just think, if it had been the other way round, they would have added that result to their repertoire of 7-0 and the first to wear green) :rolleyes:

Bearing in mind we were at the TV studios in London, it was a surprise to be asked to don a Wimbledon scarf and sit in the Wimbledon audience for the recording of their ties along with scores of fellow Jambos, just to make up numbers for their support.

LOL

One of the funniest things I've ever seen and I doubt the clip will ever appear on You've Been Framed !!!:)

Bob Mills goes over to the Hearts fans (who have been asked to fill in the gaps in the TV audience because nobody from Wimbledon turned up). He's been chatting up some fit birds in Fulham kit on the other side of the studio , asking about their new kit etc. He waddles over to the Hearts fans (he doesn't know they are and are just filling the gaps) and sees a bunch of guys sitting in their jackets with collars turned up etc to hide all traces of maroon.

Dead cool he says 'so how long have you lot been playing in anoraks then ?'.

A big Jambo on the front row jumps up and shouts 'Who you fecking talking to ?'.

Bob Mills just about filled his pants as he recoiled in shock & horror.:eek::)

A right touch , as Bob would probably say.

In fact to expand on that (I think) you had the choice of one, two, three or four passes before you could shoot. And as was said the less passes the harder the questions.

I am sure another programme started later which may n ot have been exactly the same but based on Quizball. However I dont think it was as good or lasted as long.

Three or four passes before you could shoot. No wonder Hibs never won, with their flair 4 passes wouldn't benearly enough time to even consider involving the midfield or frontline in the move. Now with the hoofball under big Mixu they could carry 3 passes over to the next round!!

4 Different routes.

4 being 4 easy questions,3 being slightly harder and so on.

The late John Cushley was excellent with his "route 1 please".Dunfermline won it.

Bring it back,it was good football fun:)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I was on a Sky show called Quizball in 1997. It was hosted by Paul Cooney and Alan Pattulo of The Scotsman filmed his episode before mine. Anyone remember that Quizball?

One of the celebs was a guy called Wallace (can't remember his first name). Was he some sort of opera singer ?!

Ian and yes.

Just beat me to it.

Ian Wallace. A regular on Steve Race's "My Music".

One of his party pieces is/was (?) Mud Mud Glorious Mud by Flanders and Swann, which is, of course, Hearts, Hearts Glorious Hearts...

I'm sure I remember Ronnie Corbett being our celebrity captain

scott herbertson
Scary looking at the 1971 series. Denis McQuade represented Partick.

I take it this show was after the watershed as he had a real face for radio.

scored a cracking goal once though

scored a cracking goal once though

He sure did Oct 21st 1978 at Aberdeen, remember I could go as my son was born on the 20th...wimmin eh!

alwaysthereinspirit

:107years:Lucky for us it wasn't #ibs that beat us in the final. It would be in their club history and they'd still be singing about it.:107years:

alwaysthereinspirit
He sure did Oct 21st 1978 at Aberdeen, remember I could go as my son was born on the 20th...wimmin eh!

Got the $#!t kicked out off me at that game. Think O'Connor scored the first goal. 2 - 1 win for the good guys.

The Hearts Quizball team was Anderson, Ford, Cruikie with Eric Brown as our celebrity captain. Celtic were the team to beat, as they had the very bright Jim Craig in their lineup and I'm pretty sure they beat us 3-1 in the final. As I remember, Hearts and Celtic were the only Scottish teams, and I also recall Arsenal taking part.

Does anyone remember ITVs "All in the Game" from the mid seventies? Filmed at Bristol City, a Hearts team featuring Donald Park, Ralph Callachan et al tested their skills against the giants of the English game. The programme ran for 2 or 3 series, and I think we took part twice. I also have a vague recollection of us doing pretty well one year, and possibly reaching the final.

The Hearts Quizball team was Anderson, Ford, Cruikie with Eric Brown as our celebrity captain. Celtic were the team to beat, as they had the very bright Jim Craig in their lineup and I'm pretty sure they beat us 3-1 in the final. As I remember, Hearts and Celtic were the only Scottish teams, and I also recall Arsenal taking part.

Does anyone remember ITVs "All in the Game" from the mid seventies? Filmed at Bristol City, a Hearts team featuring Donald Park, Ralph Callachan et al tested their skills against the giants of the English game. The programme ran for 2 or 3 series, and I think we took part twice. I also have a vague recollection of us doing pretty well one year, and possibly reaching the final.

Dunfermline won it !

Archived