Team GB hopes are Blattered

redm

From today's NotW....

By Kenny MacDonald, 28/02/2009

FIFA yesterday warned Scotland that a Team GB WILL put our football independence at risk.

SFA president George Peat, above, was given the shock news from the highest levels of the world game's ruling body at the meeting of the International Football Association Board in Northern Ireland.

That's likely to end for good any prospect of Scottish participation in a British team for the 2012 Olympics.

The SFA's stance against Scottish players participating has been unwaveringly against Team GB since the prospect was first mooted.

Despite assertions that Scotland's independence in world football would not be compromised, it was feared that would set a dangerous precedent.

Now I understand the FIFA delegation in Northern Ireland ? led by president Sepp Blatter ? have told their Scottish counterparts that involvement WOULD put their independent status "in jeopardy".

That's likely to provide the Scottish FA fresh reason to reject Prime Minister Gordon Brown's assurances that participation would not diminish Scotland's status in the eyes of FIFA.

SFA chiefs have always feared that any future change in the FIFA hierarchy could result in a new president unable or unwilling to provide the same assurances as Blatter about Scotland's status.

Peat revealed: "Mr Blatter told us at an informal function on Friday night that if we agreed to be part of Team GB, our position would be in jeopardy. My immediate reaction was one of surprise.

"At the English table, their two guys, Lord Treisman and Sir David Richards, just looked at each other.

"David Will, who was a FIFA vice-president for 15 years, told us not to get involved in a GB team on any account.

"David Taylor says the same thing, so we're viewing what we've been told as a serious warning."

The SFA wrote to FIFA and the English FA last month restating their opposition.

Peat added: "Lord Triesman said we've upset the Olympic committee with our letter, but that doesn't make any difference to us. In fact, it vindicates our argument.

"We've told the Olympic committee we won't meet them or the English FA ? we're not going to change our opinion."

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith added: "We've always been an autonomous country within football and we play in football events as Scotland.

"We've said we don't think the Olympics should have football, because every sport in the Olympics should be the pinnacle. But in football it's the World Cup and Euro Championships.

"The Olympic movement substantiates that by making football Under-23 ? and Blatter wants to make it Under-20.

"Is it going to be an Under- 16 tournament eventually?

"Our position on the whole thing has been unwavering and we've told the British Olympic Association that."

Well, I suppose that's that then.

southside1874

The best way forward is to have one of the nations representing team GB. I really fail to see the arguement from Fifa. Its childish nonsense that Team GB can't put a football team into the olympics. I remember games when some team would play the rest of the world at football. Fifa have no jurisdiction over what happens at the Olympics and should basically keep their noses out of that tournament and what goes on within the tournament.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Dont want team GB or any football at olympics...

But Blatter is talking rubbish,its just another of his side swipes at england.

And if anybody thinks England,Wales or NI will no longer exist as football teams from 2012 they are dreaming.

Blatter is on a personnnel mission to shift the balance of football in the world,england has too much money and power(in truth)so he attacks every element of them or the UK(to aggravate the issues).

And assuming Scotland dont take part but the rest do and Blatter gets his way will we have Scotland and "UK of GB but not Scotland and NI"as the 2 teams in 2014 world cup quailifiers?? ?5 says nope.

At least the fact that FIFA have now clearly said this will show our refusal to join up is justified -the british olympics and Gordon Brown et al can argue all they like but now we can show exactly why we will not sign up and they just have to argue among themselves now.

Best way forward is to totally ignore it, forget it. There is NO "british" in football. It is an idiotic attempt by people that know NOTHING about football and would rather try politicising the game than caring about the people that love it. For me it highlights the revolting creatures that are unionists. Brown, come independence day should be hung as a traitor. He is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this country and I for one will happily dance on his grave.

There is NOTHING worse than a Scottish unionist.

These decisions need to be made by footballing people not idiot politicians.

mod delete

Jambo Hoggie
Best way forward is to totally ignore it, forget it. There is NO "british" in football. It is an idiotic attempt by people that know NOTHING about football and would rather try politicising the game than caring about the people that love it. For me it highlights the revolting creatures that are unionists. Brown, come independence day should be hung as a traitor. He is a disgrace and an embarrassment to this country and I for one will happily dance on his grave.

mod delete

:stupid::D

Say What Again

Wave yer union flag all ye want but every **** kens yer a dick fer daein it.

russabbot0709_228x411.jpg

:euro:

Glamorgan Jambo

Doesn't anyone think that the frenzy of anti team GB releases from the blazeratti of the SFA may have more to do with the reserved positions that these guys and their cronies get on the FIFA committees than anything to do with a threat to the Scottish national team?

This is simply scaremongering put around by Peat and his cronies who know that public opinion is dead against the SFA's racist, myopic stance. If you check the OP it's interesting to note his comments are based on an "informal" off-the-record meeting where there will, of course, be no formal record of events. :smoking:

This is simply scaremongering put around by Peat and his cronies who know that public opinion is dead against the SFA's racist, myopic stance. If you check the OP it's interesting to note his comments are based on an "informal" off-the-record meeting where there will, of course, be no formal record of events. :smoking:

Yes. It's probably all a conspiracy. There are dark forces at work.

I assume you're going to produce some poll/survey results to back up your assertion about public opinion being against the SFA's stance on a British Olympic football team?

Unless, of course, the best you've got to offer is a straw poll taken in (sorry, I meant outside) Robbo's?

shaun.lawson

On reading the story, the only sound that could be heard from Therapist Towers was the lord of the manor's chin hitting the floor with a resounding thump.

On reading the story, the only sound that could be heard from Therapist Towers was the lord of the manor's chin hitting the floor with a resounding thump.

Wrong Shaun. Team GB will happen. The tittle tattle put about in the OP should not deflect us from that fact.

Glamorgan Jambo

Getting back to the theme of the threat to the SFA officials of any change in the committee seats that are still reserved for the 'home unions' does anyone question how it was that someone like David Will got to such a high level (general secretary I think) in FIFA.

Was it his brilliance in turning Brechin City FC into giants of Angus football, or the stellar job of promoting the Scottish Football League to a global audience, or was it perhaps just because it's a bit 'jobs for the boys' in FIFA and thats what Peat et al are really worried about.... and they'll sack Gordon Smith if he strays from the party line.

I think team GB will create interest in the Olympic Football Tournament... part of the games that we, as taxpayers, will be asked to pay for for quite a few yearss to come.

shaun.lawson
Wrong Shaun. Team GB will happen. The tittle tattle put about in the OP should not deflect us from that fact.

One to file alongside "Codhead FC will be homeless by March 2011" methinks.

Drylaw Hearts

Yep.

You trying to say that a legal obligation to sell Pit Tawdry doesn't exist? :58:

I demand an apology for trying to portray me as a liar.

shaun.lawson
You trying to say that a legal obligation to sell Pit Tawdry doesn't exist? :58:

There's stating how things appear to be now; then there's foolishly trying to predict the future and ending up with egg on one's face. Hearts entered into an agreement to sell Tynecastle: didn't happen though, did it? Milne, Aberdeen and Pittodrie will I've no doubt be fine.

Good news. Not that it was ever in any doubt.

Football has no place in the Olympics in any case.

I'm sure the council and Mr Milne will have a nice wee chat and get it all sorted out well in advance, Therapist. They're very well acquainted and owe each other a few favours.

Surely he was actually portraying you as a buffoon.

I'm sure the council and Mr Milne will have a nice wee chat and get it all sorted out well in advance, Therapist. They're very well acquainted and owe each other a few favours.

You do realise the Council has a massive hole in its budget and is being investigated by the Audit Commission. It can barely afford its basic services, never mind helping out Cod Head FC. And Milne won't put any money in. He could have done this and avoided the Pit Tawdry sale. And this was at a time when he was much richer than he is now.

The cod heads are doomed. Happy days. :smoking:

Why cant you just accept that you are in a minority on this argument ?

The majority of Scots were against the idea of team GB anyway, this latest news just reinforces those views.

Even those that were 50/50 on the idea will take the view that team GB is not worth risking Scotland's football independence for.

shaun.lawson
That's irrelevant. The Pieman got the push because of this. Wiggy is going nowhere. :smoking:

I'm sure you weren't in the slightest bit worried when the sale was announced, Therapist. :smoking:

Why cant you just accept that you are in a minority on this argument ?

Because I'm not. :afro:

I'm sure you weren't in the slightest bit worried when the sale was announced, Therapist. :smoking:

Correct Shaun. I knew the Hearts fans - proper ones at least - would take swift and direct action to ensure Pieman could not execute his evil plan. :58:

shaun.lawson

I eagerly await your methodology and evidence with regard to this. :brows:

shaun.lawson
Correct Shaun. I knew the Hearts fans - proper ones at least - would take swift and direct action to ensure Pieman could not execute his evil plan. :58:

So you knew a buyer would ride to our rescue then?

I eagerly await your methodology and evidence with regard to this. :brows:

Unfortunately for Therapist, facts are chiels that winna ding.

So you knew a buyer would ride to our rescue then?

I knew Pieman's plan would never be executed.

Oh, and Bzzzz, cut out the personal abuse or I will report you to the Mods. That'd be braw min.

High Roller

de⋅lude   /dɪˈlud/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-lood]

?verb (used with object), -lud⋅ed, -lud⋅ing.

to mislead the mind or judgment of; deceive: His conceit deluded him into believing he was important.

shaun.lawson
I knew Pieman's plan would never be executed.

Oh, and Bzzzz, cut out the personal abuse or I will report you to the Mods. That'd be braw min.

The only way you could have known this if if you'd known a buyer would ride to our rescue. And seeing as you're confident no-one's there to buy our current owner out now, well...

If you could show me where I've abused you personally, it'd certainly be a start. Unless questioning and contradicting you falls into such a category, Oh Great One?

davemclaren

Looks like you might have to put your little 'gobrits' flag away for another day. The sun is indeed setting on the empire.... :smoking:

Looks like you might have to put your little 'gobrits' flag away for another day.

It'll be at the next MotoGP race I attend. :smoking:

Back on topic for a second...

Why, when Team GB is mentioned in a footballing sense, is it only Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron that appear to be losing their special status/independence?

Wouldn't the same happen to England too?

Also, the next logical progression of this unification would be at UEFA level and as such a UK League. At which point the Associations should demand a 20 team league, consisting of the top five of each of the home nations leagues.

That will of course never happen, perhaps a bit like Blatter's bluster.

I suppose my point is that why would the FA accept Team GB if it would mean they, along with English football, would be changed forever too?

If you could show me where I've abused you personally, it'd certainly be a start.

Read my post again Shaun - that comment was directed at the Tartan Uber-Nationalist known as "Bzzzz".

I have to say you are one of the better posters on here in terms of etiquette. Despite me constantly running rings round you and destroying your arguments, you never lower yourself to personal abuse. :afro:

You do realise the Council has a massive hole in its budget and is being investigated by the Audit Commission. It can barely afford its basic services, never mind helping out Cod Head FC. And Milne won't put any money in. He could have done this and avoided the Pit Tawdry sale. And this was at a time when he was much richer than he is now.

The cod heads are doomed. Happy days. :smoking:

You do realise that this big hole is partly caused by the prices at which they sold land and property to the aforementioned Mr Milne? They're in it together up to their collective eyeballs and it'll all be sorted out one way or another - probably tied up with some sort of affordable housing agreement or similar. Aberdeen will not end up homeless. No way. Not unless Milne decides he's had enough of them all and runs off to Equatorial Guinea or something.

Anyway, that's a whole other thread...and one which has been done to death before....

Team GB. Whether or not you think Sepp is up to no good (he probably is) it doesn't detract from the fact that nobody seems very clear about what the repercussions would be for Scotland. It's a long shot to assume that he's just all-out meddling, but if he is, then it just further mud to the water and that's additional reason to steer well clear of the issue until things are less vague.

davemclaren
Back on topic for a second...

Why, when Team GB is mentioned in a footballing sense, is it only Scotland, Wales and Norn Iron that appear to be losing their special status/independence?

Wouldn't the same happen to England too?

Also, the next logical progression of this unification would be at UEFA level and as such a UK League. At which point the Associations should demand a 20 team league, consisting of the top five of each of the home nations leagues.

That will of course never happen, perhaps a bit like Blatter's bluster.

I suppose my point is that why would the FA accept Team GB if it would mean they, along with English football, would be changed forever too?

When you are top dog, taking over a few significantly smaller organisations doesn't really change much for you. However, for the smaller organisations it is the end. :smoking:

Let's hope the UK bigots don't get their way. :)

Read my post again Shaun - that comment was directed at the Tartan Uber-Nationalist known as "Bzzzz".

I have to say you are one of the better posters on here in terms of etiquette. Despite me constantly running rings round you and destroying your arguments, you never lower yourself to personal abuse. :afro:

:qqb010::asshole:

Team GB you are having a laugh........

Sebastian Coe - Horrible, despicable man

portobellojambo1

mod delete (bypassing swear filter)

bloody hell calm down

Archived