Where/were

The Merse

Seriously, how fecking difficult is it to use the correct word?

Get so many people saying things like, where you out last night? It's were you out last night? Bawbags.

Or were are we in the league? It's where are we in the league?

Extraordinary how many people don't know the difference between these two words.

Does my chebs in.

I P Knightley

Get so many people saying things like, where you out last night? It's were you out last night? Bawbags.

Extraordinary how many people don't know the difference between these two words.

Does my chebs in.

Hear, hear!

It's bad enough down in these southern parts where people don't know how to talk properly and fail to pronounce many of the letters that are clearly but there's no excuse for the good people of Edinburgh to be making an arse of it.

But D-Mc G, you're scraping the tip of the iceberg with that one. There are too many similar instances with other words for me to start on, to do so would only raise my blood pressure.

We could blame the teachers but the parents have to shoulder some responsibility. Ultimately, though, it's the fault of anyone who believed the "Education, education, education" 'promise' from New Labour. You voted for them? Look what you've done...:arghh:

You must get stressed out a lot as there are countless examples of this throughout JKB on a daily basis.

I hope for your blood pressure that you don't have similar issues with there/their and they're or to/too and two :D

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Does my chebs in.

I've just read one example on another thread. It's so annoying. Someone wrote:

"I remember when Dundee United where the cheapest gate in the league."

I wanted to highight the "where" and put "Tannadice, Dundee."

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Add the following to the list. :)

There / Their / They're

To / Too

Of / Off

Oh and there's no "A" in definitely.

Add the following to the list. :)

There / Their / They're

To / Too

Of / Off

Oh and there's no "A" in definitely.

I can accept people using of/off and to a lesser extent to/too incorrectly as it isn?t always blatantly obvious which one is to be used. However, I think writing ?their going down to the park? just looks wrong no matter how hard you try to explain it away.

?they?re will be no food tomorrow to? Again that looks an abomination as it simply translates to ? they are will be no food tomorrow to?. However, the ?to? rather than the ?too? still reads the same, so like I said, using to or too isn?t a biggie.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I agree it's annoying. The thing that really annoys me is how many people don't understand the use of apostrophes. It's bad when people fail to use them where they're appropriate, but when people just throw them in before/after any old 's' that's incredibly irritating. It's like they try to prove to you that they know apostrophes exist and think that it makes you more clever the more you use them.

The number of chippies that have "Fish and Chip's" is astonishing.

I P Knightley
You must get stressed out a lot as there are countless examples of this throughout JKB on a daily basis.

I hope for your blood pressure that you don't have similar issues with there/their and they're or to/too and two :D

...as featured in my last post!:D

I only get stressed when talking about it. If I see those simple mistakes being made, it allows me to make judgements about the people posting and to consider the seriousness with which I'll take their comments. :policeman:

I P Knightley
I can accept people using of/off and to a lesser extent to/too incorrectly

It's this kind of woolly liberal thinking that's got this country into the mess it's currently in...

Stupid Sexy Flanders
I can accept people using of/off and to a lesser extent to/too incorrectly as it isn?t always blatantly obvious which one is to be used. However, I think writing ?their going down to the park? just looks wrong no matter how hard you try to explain it away.

?they?re will be no food tomorrow to? Again that looks an abomination as it simply translates to ? they are will be no food tomorrow to?. However, the ?to? rather than the ?too? still reads the same, so like I said, using to or too isn?t a biggie.

I can't.

End OFF!

To is pronounced short, with a short vowel sound. You can pronounce it with no vowel sound at all, 't'. "I'm going to the game"/ "t' the game".

Too always has a long vowel sound, "I'm going too", you couldn't say, I'm going t'.

So it is important, it is a big deal. They are entirely different words with entirely different meanings and they're not interchangeable.

To: motion toward.

Too: in addition.

Totally different.

Don't even get me started on of and off, although I do like it when people say 'off of' instead of from, e.g. Bono of off U2. :)

That's correct; our proud nation should be out there raping and pillaging Africa all over again. That would pull the rug out from under our [woolly liberal] feet. The nation?s went tits up whilst you?ve been away.

It's this kind of woolly liberal thinking that's got this country into the mess it's currently in ...

You forgot your spacing in-between or should that be in between in and ...

I fixed it for you, though.

I P Knightley
That's correct; our proud nation should be out there raping and pillaging Africa all over again. That would pull the rug out from under our [woolly liberal] feet. The nation?s went tits up whilst you?ve been away.

:D

They can rape and pillage wherever they please as long as they punctuate correctly.

You forgot your spacing in-between or should that be in between in and ...

I fixed it for you, though.

Aaargh! What have you done? It was never supposed to be a gap, it was supposed to be a full stop and then the ellipsis.

To be honest, I was so concerned about finishing a sentence with a preposition that I took my eye off the punctuation.

People mixing up lose and loose makes me laugh, especially when they are trying to use it as an insult.

'You looser!'

This one also amuses me.

This sort of thing pops up a fair bit ...

"If your going to the game tomorrow, be sure to take you're umbrella."

Does my chebs in.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realise that half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin

They can rape and pillage wherever they please as long as they punctuate correctly.

Aaargh! What have you done? It was never supposed to be a gap, it was supposed to be a full stop and then the ellipsis.

To be honest, I was so concerned about finishing a sentence with a preposition that I took my eye off the punctuation.

I'll never conform to you're ideology, ya bawbag.

And (never start a new sentence using and, children) btw, who says too or to? It's tae ffs!

nanananananana-angus

Slightly off topic.But the weegie habit (Billy Reid,Hamilton manager does it a lot) of saying 'wur' instead of 'our' gets right up my nose.

'wur defence wiz pure dead brilliant btw'.

Aaaarrrgghhh.

I P Knightley
I'll never conform to you're ideology, ya bawbag.

And (never start a new sentence using and, children) btw, who says too or to? It's tae ffs!:nah:

I half agree.

"To" is pronounced "tae".

"Too" is pronounced "anaw".

Does my chebs in.

I concur, I was ranting about that yesterday in the pub. Also You'RE and your:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I dunno likesay, it’s a bit of a grey area with the anaw and tae. I was thinking of adding anaw, but then I mostly hear people saying tae for both so went with the all encompassing tae.

I’ll huv/hae a deep fired mars bar tae. Cheers, bud. The only time both become redundant is when starting a new sentence or when it’s used in front of the word many (there's probably more). I’ve anaw many or I’ve tae many both sound pish.

I P Knightley
I dunno likesay, it?s a bit of a grey area with the anaw and tae. I was thinking of adding anaw, but then I mostly hear people saying tae for both so went with the all encompassing tae.

I?ll huv/hae a deep fired mars bar tae. Cheers, bud. The only time both become redundant is when starting a new sentence or when it?s used in front of the word many (there's probably more). I?ve anaw many or I?ve tae many both sound pish.

I've heard folk use "ower" in the latter scenario but I think it's a dying art.

I agree with all of the above and have one more to add.

I have noticed on here that people will start a sentence with "A" instead of "I". For example, "A was at the game today".

"should of done this", "could of done that" instead of "have" is surely the worst.

Also a pet hate of mine. Definately, end off. Although I do feel obliged to point out that your "skacel" should start with a capital "S". ;)

Also a pet hate of mine. Definately, end off. Although I do feel obliged to point out that your "skacel" should start with a capital "S". ;)

:arghh:

The most annoying one bar none is the use of 'pacific' instead of 'specific'. Used to drive me crazy at my old work, at least 7 out of the 50 odd folk I worked with made this mistake which is ludicrous considering an ocean has nothing to do with what you are trying to say.

Well, being pacific, I would have to say option 3 works for me best!??!?!?

aaarrrrrgggggghhhhh:arghh::arghh:

I lived in Burton upon Trent a few years ago where people catch the "buzz" to work in the morning.

After they have been (or bin) shopping they will tell you what they "brought".

And they drink from "bockles" - not the big ones, "likkle" ones.:arghh:

More than a dodgy local accent at work there I'm afraid.:wacko2:

It's amazing the amount of people (myself included) that have difficulty spelling diarrhoea . Ofc when you have a spell checker at hand it's fairly easy, but when you're filling out a sick form at work, it's murder trying to spell it correctly. I keep forgetting where the 'h' goes and the 'o' is a ******* to remember also.

Both Microsoft word and outlook struggle picking it up too. Google is the only thing that gives you the correct spelling.

It's amazing the amount of people (myself included) that have difficulty spelling diarrhoea . Ofc when you have a spell checker at hand it's fairly easy, but when you're filling out a sick form at work, it's murder trying to spell it correctly. I keep forgetting where the 'h' goes and the 'o' is a ******* to remember also.

Both Microsoft word and outlook struggle picking it up too. Google is the only thing that gives you the correct spelling.

I can never remember how to spell it either and I have to put down " Tummy upset" instead. But I,m a dafty though.

The proper word for farmer giles is another example.... :eek:

I can never remember how to spell it either and I have to put down " Tummy upset" instead. But I,m a dafty though.

Birds don't get the runs, so you don't need to know!

Sheriff Fatman

Does my chebs in.

You must have amazing hearing if you can tell the difference between where and were when people say them.

I also have issues with all these examples - it doesn't do my BP any good. Perhaps I should sue the perps :policeman:

Maybe KB should have a Section "Today's Word", or similar. My word for today is ABSOLUTELY. I'm absolutely fed up with its overuse. Why can't people use "Yes"? . One hears things like "Did you go to the game today?" "Absolutely".

Acceptable use: "Were you p155ed last night?" "Absolutely."

People mixing up lose and loose makes me laugh, especially when they are trying to use it as an insult.

'You looser!'

Does my nut in. Clearly Hobo's :D

I P Knightley

In the old, pre-email days, if I was on a day's sick, I would phone in to tell the department secretary to mark down my absence. She was a nosy wee bizzum so would always ask for details. "An upset tummy" wouldn't work as an excuse, she'd want the gory details. So I took to always (not that I took many days off) telling her that I had diarrhoea. Some of her efforts to spell it were comical.

I always put doen "the squirts" if it's me writing.

skacel is barry

Yes i know - if i could just change my name. It seemed such a good idea at the time

Yes i know - if i could just change my name. It seemed such a good idea at the time

Cough up a fiver and you can.

Archived