Why do people spend ?900+ on a HD TV

BlackJAC?

then take it home and don't utilise it?

I'm not a geek by any stretch of the imagination, but 3 times I've been in houses where people have very expensive TVs, yet have the picture set up like something that cost ?99. It's makes me sit there shaking with rage it does. :arghh:

How many people on here have bought an expensive HD tv and simply watch it using the same picture that it was preprogrammed with?

Maybe don't know how?

I have a big beast 40inch 1080hd tv. cracking picture along with blu-ray player and generally looks brilliant. 100% better than previous tv.

Although I havn't messed with many settings. Is there a way I could potentially improve the picture further still?

I have an LG HDTV which im selling....

Any takers?

Haha!

(Im being serious though!)

Fiver and a packet of minstrels. Take it or Leave it.:idea:

jack D and coke
Maybe don't know how?

I have a big beast 40inch 1080hd tv. cracking picture along with blu-ray player and generally looks brilliant. 100% better than previous tv.

Although I havn't messed with many settings. Is there a way I could potentially improve the picture further still?

Was just gonna ask the same thing?

I'm honestly convinced HD is a total con.

if you have HDtv and never adjust it from the factory settings, then yes, yes it is a con. It's not the shops or the manufacturers that are at fault though, it's the people buying the tv's and not knowing how to use them properly that are at fault.

the difference between HDtv and normal digital tv is obvious if you set it up properly.

i also don't understand why people think shoving a decent cable into the back of the tv will improve matters either if they don't adjust the picture.

The People's Chimp
if you have HDtv and never adjust it from the factory settings, then yes, yes it is a con. It's not the shops or the manufacturers that are at fault though, it's the people buying the tv's and not knowing how to use them properly that are at fault.

the difference between HDtv and normal digital tv is obvious if you set it up properly.

i also don't understand why people think shoving a decent cable into the back of the tv will improve matters either if they don't adjust the picture.

Calm down.

TBH I'd say it is the shop and manufacturers fault if people who clearly wont know what to do, are not told what to do.

Maybe don't know how?

Before I go on, the easiest way to tell if your picture isn't right (apart from it being fuzzy that is) is if people seem to appear chunky, like stretched out to fit a widescreen picture.

Maybe don't know how?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=how+to+calibrate+a+hdtv&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Calm down.

TBH I'd say it is the shop and manufacturers fault if people who clearly wont know what to do, are not told what to do.

Surely the onus is on the customer to ask? If I knew next to nothing about a piece of electrical equipment whether it be a TV, guitar or oven, then common sense dictates you ask specific questions.

Before I go on, the easiest way to tell if your picture isn't right (apart from it being fuzzy that is) is if people seem to appear chunky, like stretched out to fit a widescreen picture.

I just went to settings and clicked hd auto adjust. As I say it looks brilliant. I only asked as since you seem to be quite up on the subject I thought you might be able to suggest ways to improve the picture still further.

And the first statement on your google search basically backs up what I'm trying to get across.

I just don't see the point in people spending obscene amounts on something they aren't using properly. They'd be better of spending ?99 on a tv out of argos.

And the first statement on your google search basically backs up what I'm trying to get across.

I just don't see the point in people spending obscene amounts on something they aren't using properly. They'd be better of spending ?99 on a tv out of argos.

Obviously exageration on your part to get across your point but as I say even the auto settings with the blu-ray player hd cable etc make a vast improvement. So providing you havn't spent ridiculous amounts it is still money well invested.

I've never delved deeper into my settings as the picture has been of a high standard I've never seen the need. As you are saying though my mate had a 38inch ?1000 samsung that he hadn't set up. It was a terrible picture and I did set his up for him manually.

Having said that I'm going to have a read over google though and see if there is anything I can do to improve the picture of mine even more though.

Dean Winchester

So when you say adjust the picture you basically just mean change the ratio? As opposed to actually changing any of the colour settings etc.?

I just went to settings and clicked hd auto adjust. As I say it looks brilliant. I only asked as since you seem to be quite up on the subject I thought you might be able to suggest ways to improve the picture still further.

There is no short answers or hints if all you're looking to do is tweak it.

However, the basics to setting up a HDtv is to start with the... ahh feck it, here it's already typed out

Start with brightness, then move on to contrast, color and, finally, sharpness, says Mark Schubin, a television engineering consultant. Tune the brightness to the lowest setting, then slowly move it up until the darkest points on the picture begin to brighten. Leave it at just below this point. For contrast, color and sharpness, begin at the midpoint. From there, raise the contrast as high as you can without making the blacks look milky, tune the color so skin tones look realistic and raise the sharpness until the picture begins to look artificial. And while your TV?s preset ?Movie? or ?Theater? modes may give you a well-balanced picture, avoid the ones labeled ?Vivid? or ?Sports??they?ll make your movies look like cartoons.

Then there's this;

Many of the more recent HD Ready flat screens feature a resolution of 1,366x768 pixels. This will display the commonly used 720p and 1080i formats, although 1080i/1080p signals will be downscaled to fit. To display 1080i/1080p signals in their entirety, you'll need a screen with a resolution of 1,920x1,080 pixels, coined 'Full HD' by the marketing men.

Remember, 720p, 1080i, 1080p are formats in which 'Sources' of high definition content are presented for viewing on a particular output device such as your LCD/Plasma screen. The source could originate from your TV cable provider for example, or your xbox 360. To restate the point, 1080i/1080p needs a screen resolution of 1,920x1,080-pixels to display in its entirity, but you don't have to have a screen with this resolution to display a 1080i/1080p signal - lower resolution screens downscale the signal to fit.

Taking a step back, 720p and 1080i were initially set out as the two key standards for High Definition content, with Sky HD, HD DVD and the Xbox 360 supporting these formats. Any TV that supports 720p and 1080i is classed as HD Ready. Let?s take a step back for a moment and take a quick look at the development of TV technology to see how we arrived at these standards.

In a CRT display (the TV you grew up with), a stream of electrons is generated by a gun, and is scanned across the face of the tube in scan lines, left to right and top to bottom. The face is coated in phosphors, which glow when hit by the electron stream. A method of scanning was required that would reduce the transmitted TV picture's bandwidth and work in accordance with the electricity supply frequency (50Hz in the UK and Europe and 60Hz in the US). The result was interlaced scanning.

A method of reducing bandwidth was required because early sets were not able to draw the whole picture on screen before the top of the picture began to fade, resulting in a picture of uneven brightness and intensity. To overcome this, the screen was split in half with only half the lines (each alternate line) being refreshed each cycle. Hence, the signal is interlaced to deliver a full screen refresh every second cycle. So if the interlace signal refreshes half the lines on a screen 50 times per second this results in a full screen (or frame) refresh rate of 25 times per second. The problem with interlacing is the distortion when an image moves quickly between the odd and even lines as only one set of lines is ever being refreshed.

As TV screen technologies have progressed another system called Progressive Scan has also been developed. With progressive scanning the frames are not split into two fields of odd and even lines. Instead, all of the image scan lines are drawn in one go from top to bottom. This method is sometimes referred to as 'sequential scanning' or 'non-interlaced'. The fact that frames are shown as a whole makes it similar in principle to the way film is shown at the cinema.

In reality though it doesn't take any more than half an hour. Another basic to remember is football and films tend to run at different resolutions.

I am surprised you can see anything from up your own backside! :wacko2:

I am surprised you can see anything from up your own backside! :wacko2:

When your tv is running better than most high end tvs you'll come back and thank me.:hae36:

Professor.Arturo

I have a 40" Toshiba 1080p tv, running the Sony blu-ray player through it. Its night and day compared to standard def and DVD.

Anyone who cant see a difference between them needs to go to Specsavers.

I'm not a geek by any stretch of the imagination, but 3 times I've been in houses where people have very expensive TVs, yet have the picture set up like something that cost ?99. It's makes me sit there shaking with rage it does. :arghh:

How many people on here have bought an expensive HD tv and simply watch it using the same picture that it was preprogrammed with?

I have a 32" Sony bravia. It was originally ?900 but i paid just over ?600. Ive ****ed about with all the settings and still SD pictures suck.

What do you suggest i do?

After tinkering about with my TV for the last half hour I've came to the conclusion it was on optimal settings anyway, except for a few very minor tweaks.

You obviously need a HD source to get the benefit of having a hdtv. I would suggest the people you have visited do not have SkyHD and/or do not have their tv's set up correctly. The default and auto settings in most tv's do not give you the best picture available imo. There is absolutely no point in watching freeview via a hdtv,

jambos are go!
Quite happy with my CRT

I got involved in a protracted debate a few months back about the merits of HD. Was stunned to read a Which report saying that none of the new formats were yet as good as the last generation of the now largely defunct CRT models!!!

My view is that if a major manufacturer promoted a spurious and non existant format as NEW a significant number of gadgeteers would buy and sing its praisesto high heavens. Remember most folk were conned into believing VHS was superior to Beta when it was substantially inferior.

The fact is...HD tv's are good if your watching something in HD!

Its as simple as that.

If your watching SD, don't expect a great picture.

I have a 40" Toshiba 1080p tv, running the Sony blu-ray player through it. Its night and day compared to standard def and DVD.

Anyone who cant see a difference between them needs to go to Specsavers.

Same here. BLU-Ray videos are stunning. HD telly and blu-ray DVD player is money well spent.

The fact is...HD tv's are good if your watching something in HD!

Its as simple as that.

If your watching SD, don't expect a great picture.

Wrong.

If you watch something in SD on an HDTV you will get the same picture quality as you would on any other TV. (Obviously the make of TV might alter the quality)

The 'HD' part of your TV does not get used when watching something in SD format. Unless you use a games console with composite cables which deliberately attempt to improve SD pictures.

Say What Again

Woah, woah.

Normally, 'you should get out more often' would do - but unless your destination has a properly set-up TV you may have a relapse. So, in this one-off situation, I suggest staying in and watching your F1 car of a TV set.

Oh, and breath!

Ive got a 42" Panasonic and could not be happier its a lot bigger and better than my old 28" CRT 99 pound job it replaced.

Looks amazing on games/bluray/dvd. TV picture is pretty good too. When HD is the standard TV feed it won't mean a jot.

A mate of mine bought an HD TV and a PS3. ?1200. When I went round to his house he had the PS3 connected with a scart lead which basically meant it looked pish. His V+ box hadn't had the settings changes to 1080 either

People just dont realise they need to set the stuff up properly

Hahahahahaha. Forgot about this. I wrote this when I was pished. Erm... sorry if I came across as a total arse. On the plus side, not many spelling mistakes which is quite surprising.

People should still take half an hour out to set their tv up properly though. Otherwise you'll not be getting the quality you shelled out for.

General rules when buying expensive tvs are

Set it up properly

Don't spend over ?15 on a HDMI cable etc as there's no diffrence between a ?15 cable or a ?75. If there is 99.999999% of people won't notice the diffrence.

Don't buy anything from ASDA

If you can, only buy Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba or Pioneer.

Stay away from JVC as their TV's tend to be utter ****e.

Buy either on line or from John Lewis, you'll save money in the long run.

It's not really hard to figure out you watch your Hd things in the HD setting and your standard def things in your standard setting.personally I watch standard def tv in movie mode and my Blu Ray and HDDVD movies in hi def dynamic mode my games I play in dynamic with gamermode switched on.When I watch football on Setanta or Itv I have to tweak the settings a bit as there is a fuzz around the players but normal sky and BBC need no tweaking at all.I think it all comes down to the quality of the signal of picture the station is pumping out.

I work in an electrical store (which i wont name for fear of abuse by some) and i think the figure is around 60-70% of people who buy an HDtv THINK they are watching high definition but they aren't.

HD Ready is fine if you just want a tv to watch freeview or normal sky etc i wouldnt buy a 1080p tv unless i was planning on running a blu-ray player, PS3/xbox or Sky/Virgin HD.

Agree with OP, amount of people who buy 1080 just to watch freeview is frustrating!

I work in an electrical store (which i wont name for fear of abuse by some) and i think the figure is around 60-70% of people who buy an HDtv THINK they are watching high definition but they aren't.

HD Ready is fine if you just want a tv to watch freeview or normal sky etc i wouldnt buy a 1080p tv unless i was planning on running a blu-ray player, PS3/xbox or Sky/Virgin HD.

Agree with OP, amount of people who buy 1080 just to watch freeview is frustrating!

That's where you should pipe up and say "look ya silly bitch, there's no point in getting the tv with bells on it, if you haven't got the means to ring them"

HD Ready is fine if you also just want to watch Sky HD as it only pumps out up to 1080i signals.Just shows the frustration some people go through when you yourself don't know.The only need for 1080p is if you have a 360 with hdmi and want to play or watch movies in 1080p or have a PS3 or Blu Ray player and want to watch movies or play games in 1080p.Hell mostly every game still isn't in 1080p and some of the ones that tell you they are 720p are only something like 560p.

aitcheeayartees

QUOTE]

Oh Bollox! mine is a Philips

:cute:

Better than my old council telly though!:D

Professor.Arturo

my blu-ray is superb on a 1080p. But, am I right in thinking that tv broadcast high definition, is actually lower def than 1080p?

my blu-ray is superb on a 1080p. But, am I right in thinking that tv broadcast high definition, is actually lower def than 1080p?

Yip its 1080i

Jimmy McNulty
Hahahahahaha. Forgot about this. I wrote this when I was pished. Erm... sorry if I came across as a total arse. On the plus side, not many spelling mistakes which is quite surprising.

People should still take half an hour out to set their tv up properly though. Otherwise you'll not be getting the quality you shelled out for.

General rules when buying expensive tvs are

Set it up properly

Don't spend over ?15 on a HDMI cable etc as there's no diffrence between a ?15 cable or a ?75. If there is 99.999999% of people won't notice the diffrence.

Don't buy anything from ASDA

Stay away from JVC as their TV's tend to be utter ****e.

Buy either on line or from John Lewis, you'll save money in the long run.

WHat is your opinion on power regulators? Guys at store tried to sell us one, saying it would give a better picture, but we declined. Detailed internet search seemed 50/50 on the subject.

Jimmy McNulty
Yip its 1080i

Cable here is only broadcast on 1080i (720p). They say itll be 5-7 years or so till regular tv bradcasts in 1080p. Since I dont have an x-box, blu-ray or anything else that plays 1080p, we just bought 1080i and saved $1000.

Archived